iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

bdickson 01-03-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2886596)
Has anyone wired a wall outlet in the front pass through compartment ?I'm thinking about tapping into the outside outlet for power.Thoughts ?

Thanks
Bigdaddy51200

I added utility outlets in the rear compartment where it was easy to take a feed to an additional breaker box. If you are using the outside outlet just be aware it is on the same GFCI circuit as the kitchen and bathroom outlets (on my coach anyway) so its easy to overload and trip the breaker.

okiefrank 01-04-2016 12:08 AM

Bruce, havent seen your post lately good to hear from you again.. I too havea 20134 37GT love the floor plan, we were gone 4 months last yr to the midwest, great trip. What are you using the extra outlets for?

tedgard01 01-04-2016 09:26 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2886596)
Has anyone wired a wall outlet in the front pass through compartment ?I'm thinking about tapping into the outside outlet for power.Thoughts ?

Thanks

Bigdaddy51200

I had two 110 v outlets and a 12 v outlet in a bay on the passenger side of the coach. I keep a freezer in that bay that uses either 110 v or 12 v, and it automatically switches to the best power source. That way everything stays frozen, even when driving long distances, and when connected to shore power.

I also use the 110 v outlets to run heaters and/or many other things when hooked up to shore power.

Ted

gavaman 01-05-2016 06:27 AM

Heater

My 37kt challenger heater stopped working. I have plenty of propane but it just blows cold air. I can hear start and then turn off over and over. Ant suggestions. It sounds like it wants to fire up but won't

sbleiweiss 01-05-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2888304)
I had two 110 v outlets and a 12 v outlet in a bay on the passenger side of the coach. I keep a freezer in that bay that uses either 110 v or 12 v, and it automatically switches to the best power source. That way everything stays frozen, even when driving long distances, and when connected to shore power.

I also use the 110 v outlets to run heaters and/or many other things when hooked up to shore power.

Ted

I see so many people on the forums who put a cage light or a small space heater into the water bay in cold weather, you'd think Thor would put an outlet there as standard equipment. According to the forums, many manufacturers do.

tedgard01 01-05-2016 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2888895)
I see so many people on the forums who put a cage light or a small space heater into the water bay in cold weather, you'd think Thor would put an outlet there as standard equipment. According to the forums, many manufacturers do.

I agree. I use a $20 small ceramic heater. On low, it keeps the water bay at 70+ degrees, and has a thermostat to regulate. If they added something, it would cost several hundred dollars, or even thousands, and not do the job half as good.... LOL

Also, you may want to know what I use those outside 110 v outlets for that are just above the bin with the water tanks on the passenger side of the coach. In below freezing weather, I fold up a heating blanket and a heated mattress pad and put them between the bin door and the water tanks, then plug them into those outlets. It keeps that bin at 55+ degrees when it is sub zero degrees outside.

I keep a digital thermometer with a remote sensor in both the wet bay and the bay on the passenger side to keep track on what the temperature is. Those can be picked up at Lowe's for around $20 as well. That is something else that the manufacture could add to make it easy for you to track the temperature in the bay's.

Ted

tedgard01 01-05-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavaman (Post 2888562)
My 37kt challenger heater stopped working. I have plenty of propane but it just blows cold air. I can hear start and then turn off over and over. Ant suggestions. It sounds like it wants to fire up but won't

I don't know if this could help, but I had the same thing happen to me. You may want to try to go out to the propane tank and turn it off and then turn it back on. When that happened to me it was like there was a vapor lock in the line that had to be cleared out. You may want to start the stove to get the gas flowing before turning on the furnace as well.

This also happened once after getting my tank filled up. It just happened that they had not turned the valve to the full open position.

A good alternative is to get two small ceramic heaters from Wal-Mart. I use the Comfort Zone heaters that cost ~$20 at Wal-Mart. I put one in the front and one in the back and they will keep it toasty when freezing outside.

Ted

Sanford 01-06-2016 05:20 AM

You might want to check the LP monitor and make sure it is on. LP will not normally flow if it is off.

Sanford

ctpres 01-06-2016 11:21 AM

More mods fixes and upgrades

4 Attachment(s)
#74 We also had full outlet at bathroom sink. While I like lighted GFI outlet I opted to add another outlet. Mostly as it would be cheaper. Now we have two extra GFI outlets. First breaker off and confirm. I removed existing outlet to check for anything that might cause problems routing wire thru wall down to the top front left corner of the sink cabinet. Tank vent pipe in-between but enough space for AC wire. The existing outlet housing is like an old work box with tabs on two corners - just back off the screws enough so tabs will clear. Pull box out and rotate so side wire box will clear opening. Not necessary to remove the outlet until ready to add new wire. The side wire box cover just snaps on/off. I made a small romex wire size hole in wall at the top front corner inside cabinet and just pointed and pushed wire into wall until I could reach it thru GFI hole. Making hole for new outlet easy - but I recommend using a fine tooth blade and take your time cutting thin panel. The panel broke while cutting and I had to glue it back together. Only other note is new outlet cover from Home Depot was wider than space available but the existing snap on cover plates in our coach fit outlet and space just fine. Removed an existing cover plate - put a couple dabs of silicon caulk on back and pressed on new outlet. New HD cover plate screwed onto outlet that I borrowed cover from and done. Material: Less than three feet of 14/2 w-ground romex, silicon caulk, one 15 amp decora outlet and cover.Total cost under five bucks and about two hours.

marcdohc 01-06-2016 01:52 PM

Working out the bugs

The 2016 Thor challenger brochure online says you can control your hydraulic levelers with the rapid camp remote. My rapid camp does not have that option. Does anybody else have that option? Also I saw a Thor manufacturing video on line that said very clearly that when you back up in reverse there is a microphone that will pick up your assistants voice to assist you Mine does not have that either. My biggest complaint is when running on batteries my heat doesn't come on when it gets down to 11.7 volts. The fridge works with the lights on and two TVs but there's not enough power to start that little heater. The manufacture of the heater Atwood says it will run with 10.5 volts or more. My volt gauge next to the auto gen start says we're at 11.7 and it will not start the heat. If I set my automatic generator start to 11.8 it'll be starting constantly. My local Thor dealer who has proven themselves to be less than perfect says there's not enough volts for the heat at the start. Duh, any input on these issues would be helpful. Marcdohc 2016 KT

KC 01-07-2016 09:13 AM

I had a converter issue with my 15, so that them check it out. My rapid camp does allow for jack movement. It might have to have it fixed. Our rapid camp did not move the large slide.

KC

ctpres 01-07-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdohc (Post 2890498)
The 2016 Thor challenger brochure online says you can control your hydraulic levelers with the rapid camp remote. My rapid camp does not have that option. Does anybody else have that option? Also I saw a Thor manufacturing video on line that said very clearly that when you back up in reverse there is a microphone that will pick up your assistants voice to assist you Mine does not have that either. My biggest complaint is when running on batteries my heat doesn't come on when it gets down to 11.7 volts. The fridge works with the lights on and two TVs but there's not enough power to start that little heater. The manufacture of the heater Atwood says it will run with 10.5 volts or more. My volt gauge next to the auto gen start says we're at 11.7 and it will not start the heat. If I set my automatic generator start to 11.8 it'll be starting constantly. My local Thor dealer who has proven themselves to be less than perfect says there's not enough volts for the heat at the start. Duh, any input on these issues would be helpful. Marcdohc 2016 KT

Rapid camp remote probably just needs programing - by dealer - not DIY project yet.
Re back-up audio and video when backing up is the radio turned on? My radio is out of commission waiting on replacement so I can not check. - pretty sure going into reverse will not turn radio on.
Re low voltage - need to check at furnace power connections and see what voltage is there while it is trying to start.

marcdohc 01-07-2016 08:25 PM

Thanks for the imput,

sbleiweiss 01-08-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 2891517)
I had a converter issue with my 15, so that them check it out. My rapid camp does allow for jack movement. It might have to have it fixed. Our rapid camp did not move the large slide.

KC

Our 2014.5 KT didn't come with a Rapid Camp at all. Was it supposed to come with one?

ctpres 01-08-2016 10:22 AM

#75 Noticed a very small hole in screen near top center of our screen door. Discovered that when screen door is latched to door that screen touches window frame. Aluminum joint at top of window had sharp edges that eventually rubbed a hole in the screen. Less than sixty seconds with a file to smooth edges and colored exposed bare aluminum with a Sharpie and done. Just run your finger over all the screw heads and joint at top to be sure you don't have the same problem.

ctpres 01-08-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2892988)
Our 2014.5 KT didn't come with a Rapid Camp at all. Was it supposed to come with one?

Our very early 2015 has it not sure about 14.5.
Look under bed platform on back side of breaker and fuse panels. If you see lots of wire and relays attached to a one foot square circuit board - then you are just missing the remote. No board - no rapid camp Can post pic if needed.

ctpres 01-09-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2892993)
#75 Noticed a very small hole in screen near top center of our screen door. Discovered that when screen door is latched to door that screen touches window frame. Aluminum joint at top of window had sharp edges that eventually rubbed a hole in the screen. Less than sixty seconds with a file to smooth edges and colored exposed bare aluminum with a Sharpie and done. Just run your finger over all the screw heads and joint at top to be sure you don't have the same problem.

Follow up with one more step. Studied hole and decided it needed something to keep cut ends of two screen threads from allowing hole to get bigger. Super glue seemed to be best - one BB size dab and now I am done. You have to look real hard to see repair.

stevemiller2 01-10-2016 04:27 PM

dish 211 receiver

We have the 2014 1/2 dt and the cabinet will not hold the receiver.the cabinet above and below are to small.Has anyone had this issue and did you did you take care of it.

stevemiller2 01-10-2016 05:44 PM

I have the same thing on my 20141/2.Thor said it is out of warranty and they will not repair. Get it done now or they will dump you. It is put together backwards from factory. Period

stevemiller2 01-10-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2217835)
What do you mean that the gray and black is piped to the black? Is there a gray tank, but no water goes to it? Is there a grey water valve separate from the black water? If there are two valves, do you mean that nothing comes out of the gray water tank? I have a 2014.5, a 37GT, no issue that I am aware of.

Ted

ours is the same. It is put together at the factory backwards.Mine is the same year and model as yours and just purchased it in 12/30/15. Thor said it was out of warranty and it was my problem. BLACK WATER COMES OUT OF SMALL VALVE AND GRAY OUT OF LARGE VALVE.Yes it does plug. If you hook up the blank tank flush it comes out small valve. Thanks Thor.

stevemiller2 01-10-2016 06:51 PM

that is the same outlook I got

bdickson 01-11-2016 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 2887196)
Bruce, havent seen your post lately good to hear from you again.. I too havea 20134 37GT love the floor plan, we were gone 4 months last yr to the midwest, great trip. What are you using the extra outlets for?

Frank, I added the outlets to give me power on the drivers side. I run my electric grill from there, mainly because the utility outlet above the fresh water tank compartment is on the same breaker as the GFCI outlets in the kitchen and bathroom. I was always tripping the breaker.

sbleiweiss 01-11-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemiller2 (Post 2895971)
ours is the same. It is put together at the factory backwards.Mine is the same year and model as yours and just purchased it in 12/30/15. Thor said it was out of warranty and it was my problem. BLACK WATER COMES OUT OF SMALL VALVE AND GRAY OUT OF LARGE VALVE.Yes it does plug. If you hook up the blank tank flush it comes out small valve. Thanks Thor.

How would someone not notice and deal with this during the first year of ownership (ie warranty)?

ctpres 01-11-2016 12:02 PM

#76 Have been cleaning air conditioner filters on a pretty regular basis now for over 12 months of traveling. One - they are somewhat fragile and tear easily. Two - removing washing and waiting for them to dry very time consuming and meant going without filter if air really needed. Simple - I needed more filters and boy are they expensive. My solution "FROST KING Air Conditioner Filter 15x 24x 1/4" Washable Polyurethane Foam F1524" on Ebay for under four bucks and free shipping. One of these will make three filters. Don't try to make four - they will be to narrow. Hope everyone is staying nice and warm.

stevemiller2 01-11-2016 08:38 PM

what side is your small drain valve

PattyP 01-12-2016 04:58 PM

Did you buy it used and that is why it is out of warranty already? Cuz we just bought ours and it's used, so we are out of warranty and had to buy extended warranty.

sbleiweiss 01-13-2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2893010)
Our very early 2015 has it not sure about 14.5.
Look under bed platform on back side of breaker and fuse panels. If you see lots of wire and relays attached to a one foot square circuit board - then you are just missing the remote. No board - no rapid camp Can post pic if needed.

Looked where you said. We have an enclosed box made of the same wood as the bed frame covering the back side behind the breakers and fuses. Can't easily see what is inside. No visible circuit board outside that box.

bdickson 01-16-2016 02:39 PM

Baby's got new clothes!

3 Attachment(s)
Installed my new sunscreens today.

sbleiweiss 01-17-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2902757)
Installed my new sunscreens today.

Bruce, you really went all out. Privacy much? Enjoy.

marcdohc 01-17-2016 02:23 PM

The (NOT) just like new 2014.5 KT I flew to Savannah CW to buy but didnt did have the Rapid camp. Regarding my 2016 KT's Rapid camp not having levelers, I called Thor 4 times, they were going to mail me a new remote but called back 4 days and explained that too would have to be programmed. He said bring it in to my local Thor dealer and have them do it. Keep in mind I already tried that and they said that option wasn't available on the KT even though it's described in the KT brochure. I decided to call Lippert. One phone call and 20 minutes and my Rapid camp now controls my levelers.

bdickson 01-17-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2903720)
Bruce, you really went all out. Privacy much? Enjoy.

Daytime privacy 100 percent, night time not so much.

tedgard01 01-17-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2904107)

They truly look nice!

Ted

PattyP 01-18-2016 06:16 AM

How do you put them off and on each trip or do they stay on and you pull down like shades inside? Looks hard to reach them without a ladder and we don't carry a ladder when we travel. Didn't yours have the pull down shades inside?

ctpres 01-18-2016 06:22 AM

#77 Had water leaks in some basement compartments. Several wty. service attempts but still leaking. I FOUND IT! Look at the rubber gasket and you will find a couple small holes on inside of bottom that allow air to escape when door is closed compressing the gasket. If pressing a large section of gasket forces water out of these holes you probably have the same problem. Look for joint where ends of gasket are connected and glued together. If the seam is very narrow and hard to see then that gasket is probably ok. In my case there was about 1/8 inch gap between ends and silicon caulk was used to fill in gap. Problem is it didn't work. There was a small void. Any water running down outside of gasket would go thru void and into center of gasket. Once bottom of gasket filled with water it would start running out thru the air holes and into basement. A bit of silicon to fill void and no more leak.

bdickson 01-18-2016 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 2904803)
How do you put them off and on each trip or do they stay on and you pull down like shades inside? Looks hard to reach them without a ladder and we don't carry a ladder when we travel. Didn't yours have the pull down shades inside?

The windshield and driver/passenger window shades can be attached from ground level. They have stiffener bars which allow them to be rolled out. The two side windows were custom made and I have to use a ladder. I have a telescoping 14 foot ladder which lives in the basement. Our travel pattern these days is drive for a week, then stay put volunteering for 3 to 6 months. Obviously I don't install and remove the shades every day.

Yes, we do have internal shades but the outside shades are much more efficient at blocking heat, and they let us keep the inside shades open for better visibility.

sbleiweiss 01-18-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2904107)

Are you unhappy with them for that reason? I'm somewhat perplexed because I would think you would want light and view during the day, privacy at night.

bdickson 01-18-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2905110)
Are you unhappy with them for that reason? I'm somewhat perplexed because I would think you would want light and view during the day, privacy at night.

Shell, no, I'm very happy with them. In the daytime, the visibility from inside the coach looking out is about the same as looking through the day shades but without the concertina effect. From outside looking in they appear 100 percent opaque in the daytime. At night looking in from the outside I can see all the lights and a shadowy view of people moving about. Just lowering the interior day shades at night to give a double layer blocks the outside view.

mtm737 01-19-2016 06:32 AM

Hauling a Motorcycle

Sorry 'bout the threaddrift but this seems to be the best way to ask the Thor Challenger Owners.

We own a 2013GT. I flat tow a Kia Soul behind it. Thinking I'm 16 instead of 61, I bought a lil Honda 250 to take with me. Any thoughts on the best way to do both? The Kia will not support the bike on back. Your thoughts?

Chief2600 01-20-2016 06:16 AM

hauling a motorcycle

There is a combo hitch available for mc and vehicle.Hydraulic lift for mc and still plenty of room for tow vehicle..

ctpres 01-20-2016 06:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
#78 Just replaced kitchen faucet with a better one originaly purchased for S&B. Selling S&B so decided to put the higher quality fauct in our new home. If you do a R/R be prepared for a couple hour project. Virtually everything was done with one hand and by braile. Disconnect hot and cold but not sprayer hose. I do not think it is possible to disconnect sprayer hose with one hand. Faucet body secured to counter top with a threaded washer and a flat one underneath. Threaded washer has two vertical screws that must be loosned before washer will unscrew. With some messing around you can remove both washers by carefully positioning all four hoses for the smallest diameter. Hole thru counter top was slightly smaller than new faucet body requiring use of a large round file. Installation pretty much just reversing above. In pic #2 note wierd sprayer hose connector. If you are disposing of old faucet I would just pull old fixture up enough to cut copper tube and hose to make things easier.
Side note - if you are having low water flow issues only at the kitchen sink - unscrew sprayer head from hose and you might find a screen sediment filter that needs cleaning. Ours had one.

ctpres 01-21-2016 09:05 AM

Roller shade adjustment video

Just putzing around this morning and found this U Tube video on how to adjust roller shades on the newer Challengers. Short and sweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6UaNeWVzCU

ctpres 01-21-2016 09:46 AM

#79 Denver Weekender mattress that came with our Challenger was OK in the the beginning - but as the number of nights increased it would not recover during the day. We ended up with two valleys and a really big hump in the middle. Time for a change but finding 72 x 75 mattress we could actually test was almost impossible. Finally found a retailer in Houston that has their own on site manufacturing facility. We got to test nap the various spring and foam models. Finally found the one DW was happy with. Gave them some money and dimensions. Within a couple days our mattress was ready. Our custom made mattress has four different density two inch layers and a really comfy one inch on top. They have a parking lot with more than enough room for a really big rig with tow and will even install your new mattress in their parking lot or deliver it in the metro Houston area. We actually bought it in Oct 15 but I waited till we had a couple months of use to report. VERY happy campers now.
If your looking for a custom built mattress try these folks - they did a great job for us.

TEXAS MATTRESS MAKERS
4619 Navigation Blvd
Houston, TX 77011
713-341-6252

--

sbleiweiss 01-22-2016 07:32 AM

Update on bathroom fan issue

It turns out the motor was dying. Replacement motors are widely available, but Ventline has changed the sizing recently so you have to be careful to get the size of motor you have and need. You also have to make sure you get one with either a round or D-shaped shaft (whichever you have) or you will have to buy a new fan blade too.

sbleiweiss 01-25-2016 03:28 PM

Changing bulbs in ceiling lights

I think all the Challengers have similar recessed ceiling lights throughout the motor home. I am talking about the ones that have white, frosted glass round plates that lie fairly flat against the ceiling. We have one that is flickering. I am guessing it is soon to burn out. We have some replacement bulbs. How do you take out the old bulb and put in the new? Thanks.

bdickson 01-25-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2914800)
I think all the Challengers have similar recessed ceiling lights throughout the motor home. I am talking about the ones that have white, frosted glass round plates that lie fairly flat against the ceiling. We have one that is flickering. I am guessing it is soon to burn out. We have some replacement bulbs. How do you take out the old bulb and put in the new? Thanks.

Shell, the frosted lens removes from the body with a quarter turn counter clockwise. Sometimes they are very stiff and you have to remove the entire assembly from the ceiling. They are held in place with two "mousetrap" springs. Pull the assembly straight down (considerable force may be required) until you can see the silvery wire springs. Now the important part: grip those springs VERY firmly as you remove the assembly, otherwise they will snap closed and take out fingers. Yes, the voice of experience talking! Once you have the unit out, grasp the body in one hand and twist the lens off.

I replaced all my halogen lamps with LED units and the difference in heat is amazing.

sbleiweiss 01-26-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2914882)
Shell, the frosted lens removes from the body with a quarter turn counter clockwise. Sometimes they are very stiff and you have to remove the entire assembly from the ceiling. They are held in place with two "mousetrap" springs. Pull the assembly straight down (considerable force may be required) until you can see the silvery wire springs. Now the important part: grip those springs VERY firmly as you remove the assembly, otherwise they will snap closed and take out fingers. Yes, the voice of experience talking! Once you have the unit out, grasp the body in one hand and twist the lens off.

I replaced all my halogen lamps with LED units and the difference in heat is amazing.

Thanks Bruce. My problem isn't removing the frosted glass cover; it is how to remove the bulb after the cover is off. Also, where to get replacement bulbs (halogen or LED). Do you know a part number for the bulb? where did you buy them? Thanks.

omarleys 01-26-2016 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the info on the Challenger. I,m in the progress of purchasing a 2016 37LX. It comes with the W/D option, but I am thinking about installing it myself. Has anyone taken on this project?

KC 01-26-2016 05:39 PM

Looking for anyone with a 2016 KT or other I would love to see a photo on how the driver and passenger side windows blinds are mounted.

Thanks KC

bdickson 01-29-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2915781)
Thanks Bruce. My problem isn't removing the frosted glass cover; it is how to remove the bulb after the cover is off. Also, where to get replacement bulbs (halogen or LED). Do you know a part number for the bulb? where did you buy them? Thanks.

Shell, the bulbs have 2 pins and should pull out sideways. I replaced them with these: Retrofit LED to replace G4 Double Pin Halogen They also make them in cool white.

ctpres 01-30-2016 05:57 AM

Cockpit side window shade/privacy system

Just announced, this may turn out to be a great replacement solution for the pleated shades. It won't cover the very front angled portion but then neither will the retrofitted version of MCD slider shade. This one looks like it will solve a number of problems.
United Shade, a Dicor affiliate, introduces patent-pending Impulse Shade System. | RV Travel

sbleiweiss 01-30-2016 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2920912)
Shell, the bulbs have 2 pins and should pull out sideways. I replaced them with these: Retrofit LED to replace G4 Double Pin Halogen They also make them in cool white.

Looks like our 14.5 already has LEDs. However, the bulbs are rectangular with 16 chips. It looks like they sit in or under a silver metal plate, which hides the view of any pins or other attachments. Yet it is not at all clear that you remove the silver plate for better access to the bulb. I think the bulb somehow slips into the plate. But without being able to see where the "pins" are or how many of them there are, it is very hard to see how to remove the bad bulb. Since ours isn't fully dead yet, I have not wanted to just push and pull and try to figure it out by experiment.

Anyone with a 14.5 or later who can weigh in? Thanks.

tedgard01 01-30-2016 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2921426)
Looks like our 14.5 already has LEDs. However, the bulbs are rectangular with 16 chips. It looks like they sit in or under a silver metal plate, which hides the view of any pins or other attachments. Yet it is not at all clear that you remove the silver plate for better access to the bulb. I think the bulb somehow slips into the plate. But without being able to see where the "pins" are or how many of them there are, it is very hard to see how to remove the bad bulb. Since ours isn't fully dead yet, I have not wanted to just push and pull and try to figure it out by experiment.

I can't offer any help, but I will be tracking for future use....

ctpres 01-30-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2921426)

I also looked at them and decided it might damage a working fixture to go any further. So far none of ours have any blinking segments. These are very thin fixtures and I suspect the LED board is held in place with doublestick tape and has a small inline plugin connector. If so it is a very common LED board.

KC 01-30-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2921201)
Just announced, this may turn out to be a great replacement solution for the pleated shades. It won't cover the very front angled portion but then neither will the retrofitted version of MCD slider shade. This one looks like it will solve a number of problems.
United Shade, a Dicor affiliate, introduces patent-pending Impulse Shade System. | RV Travel

Im not sure if it will work as the overhead bed comes into play.

KC

omarleys 01-30-2016 03:29 PM

Thanks for the Checklist. Just bought me a 2016 Challenger LX picking it up the 16th, and I will be using your list. What 2 Jackets?

sbleiweiss 01-31-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2921201)

Thanks Chuck, but the main gripe we have with the side pleated shades is that they don't allow you to have the window partly covered and the open part of the window (the rear end) not covered. We solved that problem by disconnecting the shade on the rear end of the window so that it can slide both ways forward from the rear and back from the front. Wouldn't want drop down shades for that reason.

Hoegee 01-31-2016 05:43 PM

2014 36FD Renovations

2 Attachment(s)
We figured it was time to start renovating our MH. Drove us mad trying to watch TV from the sofa turned sideways. What with mounting the TV above the driver. Moved the TV to a location above the entry door so you can look straight and see the TV. The biggest issue I discovered is that a good portion of the cabinet that I rebuilt is manufactured wood with a paper covering. The area above the dash now has a matching cabinet and the TV may or may not.

The next project is to remove the Dream Dinette and install cabinets and a pull out table. Cabinets were the easy part. Unfinished cabinet from HD and a table saw to cut them down. After our next trip out comes the dinette and in goes the new table. Only real hard part will be cutting the dog legs on the slide out at moving them out. If anyone has a pull out table I would be interested in knowing about the hardware used to support the table. I guess when this is finished it will be time to rework the bedroom cabinets so a real sized bed will fit. Our bad for not paying attention. To us a queen was a queen, wrong, and Denver seems to have cornered the market.

Happy Happy RVing

ctpres 01-31-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2922629)
Thanks Chuck, but the main gripe we have with the side pleated shades is that they don't allow you to have the window partly covered and the open part of the window (the rear end) not covered. We solved that problem by disconnecting the shade on the rear end of the window so that it can slide both ways forward from the rear and back from the front. Wouldn't want drop down shades for that reason.

You beat me to it. I am planning to put button snaps where the screws are.

sbleiweiss 02-01-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2923262)
You beat me to it. I am planning to put button snaps where the screws are.

We put a strip of velcro.

ctpres 02-03-2016 11:31 AM

More Mods Fixes and Upgrades

1 Attachment(s)
#90 DW mentioned that one end of awning was rolling funny. Couple minutes on ladder and found one of two end cap screws missing. Basically end cap tilted on end of awning tube which produced a wobble. I am sure continued use would have resulted in a really expensive problem - especially if it came apart on the road.. See part 16 in attached parts list for a better idea of how it fits together.

Thor 37GT 02-04-2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtm737 (Post 2906156)
Sorry 'bout the threaddrift but this seems to be the best way to ask the Thor Challenger Owners.

We own a 2013GT. I flat tow a Kia Soul behind it. Thinking I'm 16 instead of 61, I bought a lil Honda 250 to take with me. Any thoughts on the best way to do both? The Kia will not support the bike on back. Your thoughts?

I have a mightyhauler 1000m. I got lucky and found one on craigslist for 500.00. I haul a Kawasaki KLR on mine. Works great and have had no problems. I can tell you that you will need a small ramp to get from the ground to the hauler to load. The back of the MH is so high off the ground that the mightyhauler wont go that low.

camato5 02-05-2016 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor 37GT (Post 2928207)
I have a mightyhauler 1000m. I got lucky and found one on craigslist for 500.00. I haul a Kawasaki KLR on mine. Works great and have had no problems. I can tell you that you will need a small ramp to get from the ground to the hauler to load. The back of the MH is so high off the ground that the mightyhauler wont go that low.

Buy a trailer and use it when you want to haul both.

ctpres 02-11-2016 12:29 PM

RV Comfort thermostat manual

Found this excellent manual for our thermostat with A'cond troubleshooting guide.

https://www.cleggind.com/postal_tech/...376%5B1%5D.pdf

sbleiweiss 02-12-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2936777)
Found this excellent manual for our thermostat with A'cond troubleshooting guide.

https://www.cleggind.com/postal_tech/...376%5B1%5D.pdf

Have you had trouble with your thermostat Chuck?

ctpres 02-12-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2937788)
Have you had trouble with your thermostat Chuck?

Other than reading a couple degrees hi on both of them - no problems so far. I just like to build a digital library for everything in the coach. Upgrading them is on my list of things to do. Will change them out for closer temp reading and backlight for low light/night display reading. If I ever find a good one with fan speed switch t'sat project would move to top of list.

WyoFree 02-13-2016 05:15 AM

I've been looking at a number of Class A Gas motorhomes and keep coming back to the 2016 Challenger 37LX. I've not driven it yet but really like the floorpan and the amount of room.

I'd love to hear from anyone with a Challenger bath and a half or know this coach.

Thanks so much

P.S. I first posted this on the general Thor forum and the recommendation was made that I post it here.

bigben 02-13-2016 06:09 AM

We have a 2015 Challenger 37TB and love it. Some features that often aren't highlighted and they really should be:

1. 172 square foot of storage in the "basement". Once you start using it - you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

2. On board water storage. 100 gal fresh, 40/40 grey, 40/40 black. We dry camp for 2 or 3 months a year in Key West. We have a washer-dryer onboard and run a load every other day. DW takes a good hot shower everyday, we eat in a great deal (means considerable dish washing) and freely use water in general. We go 5 days between dumping and refreshing fresh water. Without all of this storage, we'd have to make concession on water usage. (Note: we only keep that much water on board when we're dry camping - no sense in hauling all the water with full hookups)

3. 252" wheel base with 22.5' wheels. When we are on 4 lane roads the sweet spot for running with cruise control on is 67 mph. Side winds have little or no effect with this combo.

4. Large number of circuits that can be powered by the 2000 watt inverter. When you're dry camping powering TVs, a satellite dish and receivers, and whatever else you want is a great feature. . Quiet time where we stay in Key West is 11 PM to 7 AM. If we want to watch the 11 PM news its a just routine for us. Run CPAP all night long without any issues. (Note: we upgraded to 4 house batteries)

You can look inside your coach and see most of the rest but these 4 above are features you just don't see. For us, not having them now is simply not an option. You will look long and hard in the gasser market and you will not find these 4. Some coaches do exist in DPs but very few in lower $ end range.

Hope this helps. Would we buy the Challenger again - YEP!!!

PattyP 02-14-2016 06:32 AM

We have the Challenger KT 2015, and we love it. Still trying to figure things out. How do you get speakers on outside to work? Do they go off of front radio or bedroom radio?

Capone 02-14-2016 06:51 AM

Ours go off the bedroom radio.

sbleiweiss 02-14-2016 08:33 AM

If I were looking to buy a 2016 MH on the Ford F53 chassis I'd make darn sure I got a 2016 chassis (you sometimes get last years chassis on this years MH). I hear Ford really improved the tranny on the 2016s. Haven't seen your floorplan, and don't have a bath and a half, but love our KT floorplan.

KC 02-14-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capone (Post 2939877)
Ours go off the bedroom radio.

Our also works off of bedroom radio, not sure if it is A or B?

KC

janniemac 02-14-2016 09:08 PM

We purchased our 2016 challenger 37lx the day before Thanksgiving. There were some body scratches and after a 2 1/2 wait, it finally hit the body shop at CW in Longmont CO. We saw one last Oct when in Vegas and fell in love with it. Since no one in CO has them, we bought one from Oklahoma and they drove it out here. We hope to get in a couple of weeks and plan to take a 2 week venture the end of March. We have the 2016 chassis, so we are hoping it handles our mountains more efficiently. Sold our 2014 class C Thor Four Winds 31F after we saw this one.

tedgard01 02-15-2016 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janniemac (Post 2941001)
We purchased our 2016 challenger 37lx the day before Thanksgiving. There were some body scratches and after a 2 1/2 wait, it finally hit the body shop at CW in Longmont CO. We saw one last Oct when in Vegas and fell in love with it. Since no one in CO has them, we bought one from Oklahoma and they drove it out here. We hope to get in a couple of weeks and plan to take a 2 week venture the end of March. We have the 2016 chassis, so we are hoping it handles our mountains more efficiently. Sold our 2014 class C Thor Four Winds 31F after we saw this one.

We have a 2014.5 Challenger 37GT. We traveled through CO last year on I70 from Utah to Kansas. We stayed in Central City at the KOA, which means we were going up and down 12% to 14% grades, pulling our Honda CR-V. We were up to around 10K' in elevation. What an adventure that was. We made it, but experienced some chugging at the higher elevation. If I lived in that type of altitude I'd think you may want to have the fuel mixture adjusted a bit.

Windsor is further north of Denver, and I don't know what your elevation is, but we were alright driving through the Colorado mountains just fine, except for the fuel mixture being set for lower elivations. A comparison would be on Scenic Bypass 12 in Utah, which is also going up and down 12% to 14% grades, but lower elivations we did not have any chugging issues. Once we came down to around 8K' I could tell a difference, and have never experienced an issue below 8K'. So that is the only thing you may want to consider if you expect to generally above 8K' elivations.

bigben 02-15-2016 06:45 PM

Glad you got your coach - your gonna love it. Anyway - we just took Route 16 in Wyoming through Powder River Pass. I believe the elevation is about 9600. The elevation doesn't begin to describe the pull up the mountain. The Challenger handle it very well - you won't set any land speed records but it will definitely pull the mountains. The real word of advise isn't going up - it is going down. Up until that stretch of road I'd used the Blue Ox Autostop. UUGGHH. Got a bit concerned going down the mountain. Got rid of the Autostop (now I call it - AutoJunk) and put in a Brake Buddy. Problem solved.

tedgard01 02-16-2016 05:13 AM

Be sure to use the Tow/Haul button. It will make the up grade and down grade travels so much easier...

bigben 02-16-2016 05:21 AM

On those long steep grades - the TOW/HAUL button is your best friend.

ctpres 02-17-2016 06:11 AM

#91 Squeaky Door? Off and on - mostly on our door makes a lot of noise opening and closing. Spent a good bit of time trying to figure out which one of the hinges was the problem. I never did figure out a good way to lubricate them. One day the gas strut ball socket came unscrewed from the shaft. I was about to reinstall it with some Locktite Blue and It dawned on me - NO NOISE! That ball and socket was the culprit all along. So much easier to lubricate too. A dab of oil and OK for a couple of days. Lightweight grease and good for more days. Last test was with some silicone paste and it's been almost two weeks now and still quiet. In process of experimenting with various lubes I left the spring clip off with no problem. I am betting that whatever kind of lube is used it will need cleaning and re lube from time to time. I did a little research and found nylon ball sockets which should never need lube. Did not order them as I am not sure they will hold up to stress of door flying open. If anyone knows more about the strength of the nylon sockets working or not - chime in.
--

janniemac 02-17-2016 09:59 AM

We will not have a toad this year-- only a scooter. Next year we'll buy the toad. Do we use the tow/haul button if we aren't towing?

bigben 02-17-2016 03:11 PM

I use the Tow/Haul anytime. It really helps in traffic with braking. It also helps hold speed going down a grade. IMO - doesn't matter rather you have a toad - recommend the Tow/Haul mode for at least these incidences.

tedgard01 02-17-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janniemac (Post 2944032)
We will not have a toad this year-- only a scooter. Next year we'll buy the toad. Do we use the tow/haul button if we aren't towing?

Yes.

If I had my way, the tow/haul button would be on by default and you would need to turn it off if you did not want it on...

Try it. You will find that it allows you to stop faster (with a quick tap of the brakes the grade brake kicks in to allow the engine to assist you in slowing down), it will retard downshifting on gradual inclines, where otherwise you would see the transmission downshift, it provides engine restraint when going down a grade, where without it you would pick up too much speed (with the cruse on, it will generally prevent you from exceeding the speed that you have the cruse set for)...

I think you will find it far safer on then off. The good part of it is, it will not cause any issue leaving it on, it simply provides driving and safety benefits. It is like having your anti-skid button on in the car. You have to turn it off if you are not wanting it on, versus having to remember to turn it on in slippery conditions...

ctpres 02-19-2016 07:31 AM

#92 Table in our KT is secured to floor during transit via two metal plates that are screwed to the slide floor with pan head screws. Screw heads stick up above the top of the metal plate and are hard on vacuum cleaner and bare feet. Problem solved. Removed plates and drilled 3/8" holes deep enough for recessed screw heads to drop below the surface. Reinstalled and now nice smooth surface for vacuum and feet.

bigben 02-20-2016 01:01 PM

Kinda makes your head hurt

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2946200)
#92 Table in our KT is secured to floor during transit via two metal plates that are screwed to the slide floor with pan head screws. Screw heads stick up above the top of the metal plate and are hard on vacuum cleaner and bare feet. Problem solved. Removed plates and drilled 3/8" holes deep enough for recessed screw heads to drop below the surface. Reinstalled and now nice smooth surface for vacuum and feet.

I always wonder when I make this sort of a fix what the heck the engineer was thinking of or maybe the builder just used what was available.

Just a thought.

PattyP 02-20-2016 02:16 PM

I thought it was a stupid way to put table in also. Can't put extensions up. One hits window. If you pull table out you can't open bathroom door. What were they thinking?

tedgard01 02-20-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 2947619)
I thought it was a stupid way to put table in also. Can't put extensions up. One hits window. If you pull table out you can't open bathroom door. What were they thinking?

An example, why make a cabinet that is not deep enough to put a regular sized plate in it? They know you will be driving down the road, so why not make racks to stand the plate in versus laying flat... Many little things could make life so much easier... I'd say they just are not thinking as a user...

IrihRed 02-21-2016 04:47 AM

Taking delivery beginning of April of '16 37KT, considering DIY project of replacing the table with a full width counter in this space, adjustable to both counter (eating) and desk heights (for computing and business purposes). Has anyone else done this or have any thoughts on this? Also kind of new at this, is this the right place for this question or should I start a new thread someplace else?

sbleiweiss 02-21-2016 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 2947619)

Have to disagree on this one. We love that table. Would take it with us to put into another MH if we ever switched to one that came with a dinette. Only hits bathroom door when slide is in, right? Why pull table out when slide is in? Not what it is designed for. Have occassionally eaten at table when slide is in, for example in a really tight lunch spot, but fits two fine without sliding or raising extensions.

Agree with Chuck though about the dumb clamp that holds the table down in the 2014 1/2 and later. We actually swapped out the tables in our traded-in 2013 for the new one because we liked the old attachment mechanism much better.

IrihRed 02-21-2016 08:08 AM

Glad to hear you are happy with table, just don't feel it makes sense for us and the way we live/work.

ctpres 02-21-2016 08:43 AM

If table is a problem in travel mode - the metal plates can be moved around to suit. I did and am much happier. Now door hits carpet on slide edge and does not touch table. Moving table was a two-fer mod. It now allows us to keep table secured to floor with one leaf extended for daily use.
P.S. You can move table to front. Depending on size of people involved it offers a bit more room for moving around. We have served dinner to four adults in both rooms. Granted it's not like S&B for room but nobody complained in either room.

PattyP 02-22-2016 04:51 AM

I do LOVE the pantry with pull out drawers/shelves! My coffee maker fits in there and my keurig coffee pod spinner rack and toaster over and electric fry pan plus tall boxes of cereal!

sbleiweiss 02-22-2016 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 2948270)
Glad to hear you are happy with table, just don't feel it makes sense for us and the way we live/work.

I would be careful how much weight you add since you are building on a slide-out. This is the perfect place for posting your Challenger idea. Welcome to the forum and hope you love your Challenger. If you are getting the new Ford 6-speed let us know how it drives.

IrihRed 02-23-2016 02:09 AM

The weight will be about 75 lbs. so I don't expect weight should be an issue.

ctpres 02-29-2016 09:49 AM

WTY beyond one year

Highly recommend you go thru manuals and online product info for your new Challenger. Many systems and components have wty above and beyond one year provided by Thor. Some examples: Ford 3/36, furnace, water heater, TV antenna, range top and airconditioners two years, generator has 3 year or 2,000 hours, fantastic fan 2 year P&L and five years for parts and Jensen 212 dash radio is 15 months. I am sure there are others so look it up before you spend money.

IrihRed 03-03-2016 03:33 AM

New pics of 37KT being built!

4 Attachment(s)
Just received some pictures of our '16 37KT from friends at the Thor factory. (Hope I can figure out how to upload!) Goes to paint end of week for 2 weeks, some final finishing work and QC and off to us in FL! Getting excited as it is getting closer to reality!

bigben 03-04-2016 07:06 PM

IrihRed - thanks for the share!!!

RVredneck 03-05-2016 11:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's some upgrades I finally got to....posted it on the outlaw forum but accident. But here it is...Attachment 120562Attachment 120563Attachment 120564Attachment 120565

tedgard01 03-05-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2964893)
Here's some upgrades I finally got to....posted it on the outlaw forum but accident. But here it is...Attachment 120562Attachment 120563Attachment 120564Attachment 120565

Now that is cool, can you give specifics? And what do you use the bottles for?

RVredneck 03-05-2016 06:53 PM

Just custom made cabinets.
Use bottles for extra water while dry camping.

KC 03-06-2016 09:21 AM

Great job, love what you have done. Did you take any photos while you were working on these upgrades.

KC

tedgard01 03-06-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2965383)
Just custom made cabinets.
Use bottles for extra water while dry camping.

As you are a custom cabinet maker, it may be more than you would want to divulge, but a few more details of he build out would be appreciated. If not, I may need to make the 12 hr trip to Orillia.... So maybe you could simply send a PM with an estimate on how much cash I need to stow in those bays to get them to be done....

ctpres 03-13-2016 07:57 AM

2017 changes

Production changes for 2017 are begining to hit the web. One change I am VERY interested in is storage for the front table. If anyone sees it in the KT sure would like some pic's. I'm getting old and find the under bed storage getting to be more and more difficult. More nice reported changes: stairwell and in cabinet lighting as well as LED kitchen counter lights- all that has been on my todo list from day one.