iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Rustynail462 03-13-2016 10:06 AM

Hi, new to site, and busy reading. We are from central Canada, both retired and likely going to buy within the next year. We love the set up in the Challenger and the "KT" model impresses us the most. We realize it's a home on wheels and as a result issues arise in any RV requiring fix's. In reading we have a few concerns: a) there are many opinions both ways in regards to the Challenger ( THOR ) as to it's quality / reliability. b) dealer quality / timely warranty repairs. Any thoughts and helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated...... we are thinking new vs. used as you never know if it may be a lemon and at least new there is warranty. 1st time buyers and likely / hopefully our 1st will be our last.... hopefully I will see numerous helpful replies. Thank you.

ctpres 03-13-2016 12:39 PM

When I get bored I wander over to RV.net. Amazing difference - every visit there makes me appreciate IRV2 more. Anyhow they insulted Challenger owners by not listing our 25 year old Challenger family in the member RV info section. I asked about it and got this reply,

"Thank you for taking the time to write in and my apologies. That should certainly be added since it's a popular model. I will send this to my website support team and request that they look into this. Thank you and have a good day!"

Now maybe we will get the recognition we deserve.

bigdaddy5120 03-13-2016 02:24 PM

completed a couple of mods this weekend

First, I added an articulating TV mount to the living room TV.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...c082ea3a79.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...2ae78d51f5.jpg

The second mod was to add a power outlet to the driver front bay for my air compressor . I had to run the wire through the cable pull hole in the ceiling of the basement , run under slide box (on the inside of MH) into cable access hole behind the fire place , and then to power outlet.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...3c119b29e6.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...52e07dfb8c.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...0d624d42cc.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...09a6c4e0d6.jpg

ctpres 03-13-2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2976021)

Keep em coming Bigdaddy - Great job.

bigdaddy5120 03-13-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2976127)
Keep em coming Bigdaddy - Great job.

You to Sir !!

I have a few more projects planned.
1) RGB LED lights under the Motor Home -DW saw a LSU fan last year while we were tailgating that had them , looked really cool . So she added this one to my list . Looks like I can do this one for about 120.00 from amazon.

2) Add Power outlet to front passenger bay for small refrigerator

3) Add some home made slide out trays for the small refrigerator and tool box . I'm thinking of using these and plywood :Centerline® Lifetime Series 757 100-lb. Over-Travel Drawer Slides-Drawer Slides - Rockler Woodworking Tools Any thoughts ?

sbleiweiss 03-14-2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2975468)
Production changes for 2017 are begining to hit the web. One change I am VERY interested in is storage for the front table. If anyone sees it in the KT sure would like some pic's. I'm getting old and find the under bed storage getting to be more and more difficult. More nice reported changes: stairwell and in cabinet lighting as well as LED kitchen counter lights- all that has been on my todo list from day one.

Chuck: We just leave the table on the couch, tucked between the back pillow and seat pillow each day between setting up for the night. I agree, the bed storage for something used daily is a pain.

sbleiweiss 03-14-2016 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustynail462 (Post 2975688)
Hi, new to site, and busy reading. We are from central Canada, both retired and likely going to buy within the next year. We love the set up in the Challenger and the "KT" model impresses us the most. We realize it's a home on wheels and as a result issues arise in any RV requiring fix's. In reading we have a few concerns: a) there are many opinions both ways in regards to the Challenger ( THOR ) as to it's quality / reliability. b) dealer quality / timely warranty repairs. Any thoughts and helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated...... we are thinking new vs. used as you never know if it may be a lemon and at least new there is warranty. 1st time buyers and likely / hopefully our 1st will be our last.... hopefully I will see numerous helpful replies. Thank you.

We love the KT too. Thor has some quality control problems but I think it is an industry wide problem. Unless you buy the mega-expensive custom jobs I think there is no way around it. I agree with buying new for that reason (warranty) although some swear by used saying the problems have already been fixed at the first owners inconvenience. We bought from Total Value RV in Elkhart. They were good for service and by being close to the factory and the RV hub they could get anything quickly. You also get a new MH with only about 50 miles on it. Good luck and welcome to the MH lovers life.

bigben 03-14-2016 06:55 AM

Rustynail462 - we've had our Challenger 37TB for 11 months and 17,500. Love it. Issues - yep but Thor has been great about resolving. Not sure how much homework you've done but after our homework and hands on - the beauty of the coach is WAY beyond the looks and most inside features. The holding tanks, fresh water tanks, basement storage, long wheel base,AGS (automatic generator start), multiple inverter circuits, 22.5" tires are second to none in gassers and beyond most DPs. We added a washer/dryer combo and it is my wife's favorite adder.

We lived in ours dry camping for 8 weeks in Key West. The features above allowed us to live just like we would with full hookups, dumping and refilling every 5 days. No one you could do that without these great features.

I agree with sebiewiess about buying new. I have been kinda annal about finding and fixing issues in our coach. If you buy used, you can only hope that the former owner(s) used the 1st year to resolve issues that present themselves.

Best of luck - enjoy.

ctpres 03-14-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2976213)
You to Sir !!

I have a few more projects planned.
1) RGB LED lights under the Motor Home -DW saw a LSU fan last year while we were tailgating that had them , looked really cool . So she added this one to my list . Looks like I can do this one for about 120.00 from amazon.

You need to shop Ebay for the lights. Around $15 from China but you do have to wait. Look for "5M 5050 RGB 12v Waterproof w controller" with ePacket deliverey and items usually arrive in two to three weeks. Avail on Amazon for about same price. Read carefully what is included. Links do not last very long so try this one pretty quick for about $11.00. Bought one early this year.
5M 300Leds 5050 RGB SMD Waterproof LED Strips Lights Lamps Remote Controller | eBay

Rustynail462 03-14-2016 10:56 AM

Shell, thank you for your response, I am glad you are basically happy with your unit, it's a relief to here and I am sure when we buy we will be just as happy. One question, buying where you did def. had it's advantage, but, were you able to get a great price say in comparison to one of the big dealers in the south who by having large inventories can sell cheaper. If your price was comparable, buying where you did makes great sense.

bigben..thank you for your reply, very helpful, we are now even more convinced on the Challenger. Even talking about the washer/dryer add on as we would love to be free to do some dry camping and have the conveniences you listed.
Hope to see you people out there some day on the road camping, we are very impressed with the positive people here and there helpful suggestions and experience.
Dar & Jer

bigben 03-15-2016 06:13 AM

Rustynail462 - Dar & Jer. Lots of great folks here. Biggest thing you have to do - enjoy the coach experience.

sbleiweiss 03-15-2016 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=Rustynail462;2977137]Shell, thank you for your response, I am glad you are basically happy with your unit, it's a relief to here and I am sure when we buy we will be just as happy. One question, buying where you did def. had it's advantage, but, were you able to get a great price say in comparison to one of the big dealers in the south who by having large inventories can sell cheaper. If your price was comparable, buying where you did makes great sense.

Yes, price was comparable. By all means shop around, but be careful that if you buy somewhere far away for price that you have a dealer who will service you. We too added a W/D combo and wouldn't be without either the combo or stackables.

DSheets 03-15-2016 07:31 AM

Big Daddy- What did you use as a tv mount? I.ve been thinking of doing the same thing.

bigdaddy5120 03-16-2016 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSheets (Post 2978334)
Big Daddy- What did you use as a tv mount? I.ve been thinking of doing the same thing.

I used this Robot Check

FYI -It does make the TV stick out about 4 inches when it pushed back, good trade off to me.

Webman9113 03-16-2016 05:34 AM

For those who are looking to buy a new Challenger, I just wanted to pass on our experience on pricing. You don't necessarily have to travel a long way to a dealer offering a good/better price than your local dealer: many dealers will match the price of a competitor, even if that competitor isn't even in the same state. We shopped around on-line and got a "best price quote" from a dealer in Texas (we live in Florida). We then forwarded the email with the price quote to our local dealer, a Camping World that is authorized to sell Challengers. They not only happily met the price (which, as I recall, was something like $30K or $40K off their own "best price"), but threw in a free combo washer-dryer, as well.

sbleiweiss 03-17-2016 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 2979504)
For those who are looking to buy a new Challenger, I just wanted to pass on our experience on pricing. You don't necessarily have to travel a long way to a dealer offering a good/better price than your local dealer: many dealers will match the price of a competitor, even if that competitor isn't even in the same state. We shopped around on-line and got a "best price quote" from a dealer in Texas (we live in Florida). We then forwarded the email with the price quote to our local dealer, a Camping World that is authorized to sell Challengers. They not only happily met the price (which, as I recall, was something like $30K or $40K off their own "best price"), but threw in a free combo washer-dryer, as well.

Wasn't our experience with the local CW in IL. Just shows you how much they vary. Imagine if you didn't know what you would get when you went into a McDonald's and ordered a Big Mac.

Rustynail462 03-17-2016 10:57 AM

Thanks Webman, will keep it in mind, have found a few good dealers price wise around and at the same time, found some that there after sale service not so hot. We live in Manitoba Canada, no major dealers with any inventories anywhere near us. So a long drive or flight will be in order when we do purchase. I'm sure we will get a good price when we do buy, our concern is after, getting repairs done in a reasonable time frame do to our home base location in Manitoba. We are reading lots and this site is awesome in providing information.

Webman9113 03-18-2016 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2980833)
Wasn't our experience with the local CW in IL. Just shows you how much they vary. Imagine if you didn't know what you would get when you went into a McDonald's and ordered a Big Mac.

Completely agree! You'd think with a company that big, an exec would be taking a look at some of the many issues customers have had and given an appropriate beating to the CW service departments that were involved. :mad:

Webman9113 03-18-2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustynail462 (Post 2981117)
Thanks Webman, will keep it in mind, have found a few good dealers price wise around and at the same time, found some that there after sale service not so hot. We live in Manitoba Canada, no major dealers with any inventories anywhere near us. So a long drive or flight will be in order when we do purchase. I'm sure we will get a good price when we do buy, our concern is after, getting repairs done in a reasonable time frame do to our home base location in Manitoba. We are reading lots and this site is awesome in providing information.

One thing that I'm going to be looking into shortly for some repairs our 37KT needs before we head out this summer is having a mobile repair service come out. We happen to have a couple around where we live, and they've both gotten very good ratings. Sure, they probably can't replace a nose cap or take out a slide, but for a lot of the more typical maintenance/repair items (both for the coach and chassis) I'm hoping they'll do okay. We had a far less than stellar experience at a local repair center (which is a BIG one), and while another local dealer did okay on the maintenance issues we had, they really ripped us off in buying another rig a few years ago (my fault, really - we were in a bind and I let them take advantage) and I'm not really inclined to give them any more business. :(

Rascal55 03-19-2016 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustynail462 (Post 2981117)

We also live in Manitoba. We purchased new in 2013, 37KT, from Total Value RV in Elkhart Ind. We did some shopping in the Phoenix area, contacted Total Value for best price and purchased from them. We believe we got a good deal. Since then we have only had a few issues. One repair, (under warranty), was done in Minnesota on our trip south in 2014. The second major repair, a broken cable on big slide, was done by a mobile repair company in Mesa Az. We waited for the repair till we got there last Nov. While repairs in Manitoba are not convenient, we have not experienced major break downs to be very concerned. Our Challenger has done well.

Rustynail462 03-20-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal55 (Post 2984560)
We also live in Manitoba. We purchased new in 2013, 37KT, from Total Value RV in Elkhart Ind. We did some shopping in the Phoenix area, contacted Total Value for best price and purchased from them. We believe we got a good deal. Since then we have only had a few issues. One repair, (under warranty), was done in Minnesota on our trip south in 2014. The second major repair, a broken cable on big slide, was done by a mobile repair company in Mesa Az. We waited for the repair till we got there last Nov. While repairs in Manitoba are not convenient, we have not experienced major break downs to be very concerned. Our Challenger has done well.

Thanks Rascal, love hearing your experience and love to talk more with you if poss. Very positive post that gives us some relief that we are on the right track... love to know more about your kt etc... call if you can please...

gavaman 03-20-2016 05:39 PM

White build up on house batteries

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavaman (Post 2807895)
I have mine plugged into a 50amp connection and a trickle charger on the house batteries. Could this be why, I don't need the trickle charger connected?

I am still getting the white build up on my house batteries compartment.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what is causing this still. I don't have a trickle charger on it for months now, just plugged in to a 50amp plug.

sbleiweiss 03-21-2016 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavaman (Post 2985875)
I am still getting the white build up on my house batteries compartment.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what is causing this still. I don't have a trickle charger on it for months now, just plugged in to a 50amp plug.

Put a copper penny on one of the batteries and the white build-up will stop. Replace the penny a couple of times a year.

gavaman 03-22-2016 04:24 PM

Penny

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2986513)
Put a copper penny on one of the batteries and the white build-up will stop. Replace the penny a couple of times a year.

Do I put the penny anywhere on the battery or on a positive or negative post?

ctpres 03-23-2016 06:56 AM

I give up!

Had our KT over a year now and still have not figured out why there is an outlet in the main slide corner cabinet. Three outlets on one wall: high for TV, just above cabinet and in the cabinet. Makes no sense to me and still can't think of any practical use for it. Has ayone found a good use for it?

sbleiweiss 03-23-2016 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavaman (Post 2988669)
Do I put the penny anywhere on the battery or on a positive or negative post?

Anywhere on the battery EXCEPT touching a post.

dar9696 03-24-2016 09:58 AM

Hi very good info on this form for anyone looking into buying a challenger. Would like to know what info is out there in regards to the changes for 2017?
We are still trying to figure out which model we would like. We narrowed it down to the GT & KT, & TL. We will be traveling with 2 kitties & a black lab. Litterbox is a concern, where to put it?
Thanks Dar

PattyP 03-24-2016 11:05 AM

In shower?

tedgard01 03-24-2016 04:59 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar9696 (Post 2991195)
Hi very good info on this form for anyone looking into buying a challenger. Would like to know what info is out there in regards to the changes for 2017?
We are still trying to figure out which model we would like. We narrowed it down to the GT & KT, & TL. We will be traveling with 2 kitties & a black lab. Litterbox is a concern, where to put it?
Thanks Dar

You may want to consider an Outlaw... With a garage.... If I traveled with several pets, I may consider that option...

We love our GT floor plan, but everyone has different likes...

bigben 03-24-2016 07:27 PM

A couple of suggestions:

Think through what is important to you relative to layout. Do you want more room in the living room of your coach. We have a 37TB and truly love it. We are a very retired couple but have lots of grandkids that enjoy being with us. It was a decision we made based on sleeping arrangement and the convertibility of the bunks into a closet or sofa. As we travel together without grandkids, it would be nice to have more room in the front living area - that would mean two slides to open that area up.

Also, wanted a king size bed.

After having a 1.5 bath, wouldn't do without it.

We have a pullout pantry and some cupboards. But - some of the cabinets are wonky. Given the great basement storage, we supplement cabinet space in the coach by using the storage in the first basement compartment. Suggestion is make sure you know how you'll handle where your dishes, cookware and food stuffs in your coach.

sbleiweiss 03-25-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 2991284)
In shower?

Not a great solution but we keep our litter box in the bathroom in front of the shower. I have seen some that cut a hole in the side of the step area inside the door and then keep the litter box in the small basement next to the door (in a KT).

PattyP 03-25-2016 09:29 AM

We had baby chicks go with us one trip and I put them in a small dog crate in our shower. When we needed to shower, I took crate outside for an hour. Showered out any mess. We have a KT now and it is working out well with our 3 dogs when we travel. Even with slides in their is room for dog beds, big one by dining room table and 2 small ones in living room in front of fireplace.

KC 03-25-2016 11:12 AM

We love our KT!! Its a great floor plan, have 3 separate rooms is a great feature. Also having the fireplace up front helps keep the front of the RV warm.

Also have 2 awnings, over 24' worth is another great feature.

A large window over looking your camp site for the dinning room is another good feature.

I Could go on and on but its a well thought out RV!!

KC

Rsapp 03-25-2016 12:46 PM

Info Needed

I am looking at purchasing a 2015 37KT but have only seen the 37ND basement compartments and it was at a RV show which I could not see all of them. Is there anyone here that could take photos of their compartments so that I can have an idea as to where I can place items in the compartments? I have found one and it is about 300 miles away and I can't get them to take the pictures since they are not the CW that is selling the unit and it has not been transported the the CW I am dealing with and there is not another one near me. Any help would be appreciated. I am waiting on a time in the next week that we can travel to the dealer and sign papers after we look at it and make our decision. I am upgrading from a 2014 Ace to the Challenger 2015 37KT.

Thanks.

bronk 03-25-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar9696 (Post 2991195)
Thanks Dar

We have been traveling for over 6 years in our 38' Challenger with 3 (now 2) golden retriever with no issues. Space has a way of "adapting" to need, so you will have no issues. Best of luck!

Bronk

bigben 03-25-2016 07:17 PM

Rsapp - the best way to see the basement is in a video. I found this one for you but look for dealer video ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji53ccB3mtI

We've had our Challenger 37TB for 11 months and 17,500 miles - love it.

bigdaddy5120 03-26-2016 05:20 PM

Finished my homemade cargo trays today

I made three of these, I used (2) 100 pound slides and (1) 220 pound slide. I bought these here: Centerline® Lifetime Series 757 100-lb. Over-Travel Drawer Slides-Drawer Slides - Rockler Woodworking Tools
I used plywood that I painted black and bolts to secure to cargo bays.
I built these for less than 150.00 for all parts .
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...bdd74e53a2.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...1b344c736c.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...24c49de6ea.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...cf98d57915.jpg

bigdaddy5120 03-26-2016 05:25 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...f53ca027a7.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...1c22ec4e98.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...9f09ca7fb0.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...165abdf353.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...8df1c8cbf0.jpg

tedgard01 03-26-2016 06:02 PM

BigDaddy, that is very cool! I now have another project on my list... I like how you even have a place for the door mat...

bigben 03-27-2016 05:50 AM

Super!!!

sbleiweiss 03-27-2016 07:29 AM

I want one (or three)!

bigdaddy5120 03-27-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2994749)
BigDaddy, that is very cool! I now have another project on my list... I like how you even have a place for the door mat...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigben (Post 2995208)
Super!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2995323)
I want one (or three)!

Thanks Guys for the nice comments ! I can't wait to use these next weekend !

dar9696 03-28-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 2992690)
We had baby chicks go with us one trip and I put them in a small dog crate in our shower. When we needed to shower, I took crate outside for an hour. Showered out any mess. We have a KT now and it is working out well with our 3 dogs when we travel. Even with slides in their is room for dog beds, big one by dining room table and 2 small ones in living room in front of fireplace.

Using the shower ,maybe putting plastic down first seems to be the best idea so far. Also kitties need a tower for scratching and sleeping so the KT has the space beside the dining table for dog bed and kitty tower. Don't know about the carpet in that spot though?
Thanks Dar

PattyP 03-29-2016 04:44 AM

I put a bathroom throw rug there under dog bed and when I get home I wash it, you could put a shower curtain too I guess,

IrihRed 04-04-2016 04:35 AM

16 Challenger 37KT sliding door rattles?

As we await the delivery of our new coach (2 more weeks) we went again to look at a new one on a dealers lot to get a better feeling for storage and other things. The sliding doors seemed loose both front and rear and concerned these will be a real noise makers when driving. Do any KT owners have thoughts on this and fixes if it is in fact a real concern? :confused:

ctpres 04-04-2016 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3006877)
As we await the delivery of our new coach (2 more weeks) we went again to look at a new one on a dealers lot to get a better feeling for storage and other things. The sliding doors seemed loose both front and rear and concerned these will be a real noise makers when driving. Do any KT owners have thoughts on this and fixes if it is in fact a real concern? :confused:

Get some small, self stick, felt pads like used on chair legs and put one on each side of the U shaped door guides located near the floor. Highly recommend you go to page one of this thread. There is a wealth of information on potential problems with fixes, upgrades and ideas that will help you enjoy your Challenger even more. Keep the questions coming and show us a few pics of your new baby.

KC 04-04-2016 08:51 AM

Looking for some advice on care and cleaning on the TPO roof on my Challenger. What do you use. My last MH had fiberglass.

KC

bigdaddy5120 04-04-2016 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 3007194)
Looking for some advice on care and cleaning on the TPO roof on my Challenger. What do you use. My last MH had fiberglass.

KC

My owners manual says to use Murphy's soap , so that's what I use twice a year.

bigdaddy5120 04-05-2016 04:45 PM

Power cable reel. Is there anything cheaper than this ?Robot Check

I don't want to spend 175.00 for it.

Thanks

tedgard01 04-05-2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 3009265)
Power cable reel. Is there anything cheaper than this ?Robot Check

I don't want to spend 175.00 for it.

Thanks

Try the way I do it.... You first start with a circle of wire, then repeat... Takes two minutes... Keeps $175+ tax and shipping cost in my pocket... Heck, that may come in handy to have that $200 in my wallet for something I really need....

tedgard01 04-05-2016 09:01 PM

I know what Bigdaddy, now I can make those shelves you did such a nice job on...

PattyP 04-06-2016 08:26 AM

I haven't noticed any noise coming from those doors.

bigdaddy5120 04-06-2016 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 3009625)
I know what Bigdaddy, now I can make those shelves you did such a nice job on...

LOL! Build the cargo trays , they were very handy this past weekend.

I did find this on another forum , 17.99 at Harbor Freight .
100 Ft. Steel Air Hose Reel

Here is a picture of it with the cord on it .
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...e589d4c999.jpg

tedgard01 04-07-2016 04:20 AM

That looks great! And a great price as well! Let us know how it holds up. Harbor Freight has quick answers and great price.

Sanford 04-07-2016 06:45 AM

What is a TPO roof?

sbleiweiss 04-08-2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanford (Post 3011427)
What is a TPO roof?

Others can give a better answer, but it is one kind of rubber roof, as opposed to fiberglass. When you seal anything on that roof you want a sealant made for TPO roofs.

RVredneck 04-09-2016 09:37 AM

Hi everyone....we have 2014 KT. Doing some mods to outside TV cabinet.....where the heck is the TV plugged in to???? Looks like some surgery required to get at it.

KC 04-09-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 3014649)
Hi everyone....we have 2014 KT. Doing some mods to outside TV cabinet.....where the heck is the TV plugged in to???? Looks like some surgery required to get at it.

Try removing the back cushions on the couch for access.

KC

bigdaddy5120 04-09-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 3014649)

I think you find what you need here:https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/my-2...de-190970.html
I replaced the whole thing.

RVredneck 04-09-2016 10:50 AM

Thanks big daddy. You have confirmed what I was afraid to admit.....go big or go home.

bigdaddy5120 04-10-2016 06:01 AM

Does anybody know if the linoleum flooring in a 2014 runs under the carpet in the cockpit area ? I would like to remove the carpet for easier cleaning .

happycamperj 04-10-2016 03:06 PM

BigDaddy, I was just wondering if you have any problems pulling that Ford Edge. My 2014.5 GT has a 22,000 gross weight, and a 26,000 GCVW.

Anybody out there having issues with what to pull? I'm currently pulling a 2006 Honda CR-V, and plan on making trips out West, where steep grades will make a difference. I've not got a whole lot of wiggle room with all that I carry around, anyway !

bigdaddy5120 04-10-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happycamperj (Post 3016537)
BigDaddy, I was just wondering if you have any problems pulling that Ford Edge. My 2014.5 GT has a 22,000 gross weight, and a 26,000 GCVW.

Anybody out there having issues with what to pull? I'm currently pulling a 2006 Honda CR-V, and plan on making trips out West, where steep grades will make a difference. I've not got a whole lot of wiggle room with all that I carry around, anyway !

I have had no issues towing the edge. I have towed it in the smokey mountains without issue .

bigdaddy5120 04-14-2016 07:56 PM

I just had the recall on my steps completed today. Here is a picture of the fix I borrowed from another thread .https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...272f0002d6.jpg

bigben 04-16-2016 07:34 AM

happycamperj - we made a 7500 mile coast to coast trip pulling our Ford Explorer with only 1 real lesson learned. GET A GOOD SUPPLEMENTARY BRAKE SYSTEM!!! We started out with a Blue Ox Autostop - JUNK for the steep mountains in places like 10 Sleep Wyoming. Just wasn't helping enough - if any. So I got a Brake Buddy Classic - problem solved. You can easily adjust the sensitivity and it is an easy setup.

Other than that - the V10 handled everything we threw at it.

Best advise we've got except - enjoy it. It is an amazing way to travel.

tedgard01 04-16-2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigben (Post 3025194)
happycamperj - we made a 7500 mile coast to coast trip pulling our Ford Explorer with only 1 real lesson learned. GET A GOOD SUPPLEMENTARY BRAKE SYSTEM!!! We started out with a Blue Ox Autostop - JUNK for the steep mountains in places like 10 Sleep Wyoming. Just wasn't helping enough - if any. So I got a Brake Buddy Classic - problem solved. You can easily adjust the sensitivity and it is an easy setup.

Other than that - the V10 handled everything we threw at it.

Best advise we've got except - enjoy it. It is an amazing way to travel.

I was just wondering if you use the Tow / Haul button as an assistance to the braking system?

If you don't use this on a regular basis, you may want to try it out. When stoping and/or going down 12 to 14% grades, like in Utah and Colorado it made a great difference. A quick step on the break engages the grade brake, and another will shift down again for a great assistance in stopping or holding you back on the grades.

On the other hand, it will also assist on gradual upgrades to prevent downshifting to a lower gear too quickly, and this is specifically helpful while using the cruise control.

I leave the Tow / Haul button on as the default versus pushing it when needed. It has been invaluable with a few needs to stop quickly and unexpectedly.

Just a thought, but you may already have used this option...

tedgard01 04-16-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 3023381)
I just had the recall on my steps completed today. Here is a picture of the fix I borrowed from another thread... [/IMG]

Hi BigDaddy,

My steps went out prior to the recall. Which I am happy for that. The covered the replacement under the warranty, but when they did, the determined that the mechanism was insufficient, even when replacing the gear mechanism. They ended up replacing the entire steps with a new type deployment mechanism that is a bar vs gear, and appears to be far superior over the retrofit of the recall fix.

bigben 04-17-2016 06:51 AM

tedgard01 - absolutely did use the Tow/Haul function but we found the mountains complete with 7% grades and switchback to be more than I wanted to tax the coach brakes to do. Also, when you hit the dreaded short green light the tow/haul is invaluable. And I do like the sight of the toad's brake indicator lite coming on telling me the toad is taking care of stopping itself.

KC 04-17-2016 09:44 AM

I drive a wrecker F550 and I always use the tow/haul mode when Im towing anything. It makes a big difference.

KC

bigdaddy5120 04-17-2016 04:11 PM

Where is a good place to buy wiper blades ? Mine has 31 inch blades on it but man these are expensive ! Could I just change to cheaper 28 inch blade ?

TwoDogDad 04-17-2016 05:38 PM

Challenger Question

We've been looking at RVs over the past couple of months and are intrigued by the Challenger, particularly the 36TL. One thing we have not been able to verify is the under-the-bed storage. We saw a TL and a KT about 6 weeks ago and did not check.

I am assuming that there is some type of storage under the bed. Is that correct?

Thanks

Mike

KC 04-17-2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoDogDad (Post 3027384)
We've been looking at RVs over the past couple of months and are intrigued by the Challenger, particularly the 36TL. One thing we have not been able to verify is the under-the-bed storage. We saw a TL and a KT about 6 weeks ago and did not check.

I am assuming that there is some type of storage under the bed. Is that correct?

Thanks

Mike

My KT has storage under the bed, we have two folding chairs for our dinning room, front table and two air beds plus other stuff.

KC

TwoDogDad 04-17-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 3027575)
My KT has storage under the bed, we have two folding chairs for our dinning room, front table and two air beds plus other stuff.

KC

Thanks KC.

Mike

sbleiweiss 04-18-2016 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 3027275)
Where is a good place to buy wiper blades ? Mine has 31 inch blades on it but man these are expensive ! Could I just change to cheaper 28 inch blade ?

I have read on other threads of people doing this with no problem.

ctpres 04-19-2016 04:03 PM

RV time = 100% soon

Well in theory anyhow. Monday AM we signed contract on our ranch within a couple hundred of asking price. On market to contract in NINE days. :dance::bow::)

bigdaddy5120 04-19-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3030376)
Well in theory anyhow. Monday AM we signed contract on our ranch within a couple hundred of asking price. On market to contract in NINE days. :dance::bow::)

Hope it works out for you ! I hope to be able to that one day !

bigben 04-19-2016 06:50 PM

Congrats to Suzie and Chuck!!! Enjoy the journey!!!

KC 04-20-2016 11:00 AM

Trailer plug question

What type of trailer plug do I have on my 2015 Challenger kt? Our RV is in storage and I need to order a wireless plug for my brake light.

KC

LyonsL 04-20-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3030376)

Congrats & good luck with your new chapter in life!

Rsapp 04-21-2016 06:21 AM

It is the 7 way Blade Round type. I will try to send you a pic.

Rsapp 04-21-2016 06:27 AM

7-Way Round RV Style Trailer Connector - Trailer Side This is the plug that is used to plug into it I couldn't upload a pic so I went to etrailer.com. Hope this helps.Thanks for all your help.

wldracing 04-21-2016 07:51 AM

2015 Thor Challenger 35 HT Handling Fix and Review

Hey Everyone, I have a 2015 Challenger 35HT with about 5,000 miles and wanted to share my handling experience with this coach.

https://melaniesactionfoto.smugmug.c...IMG_1844-M.jpg

I flat tow a Jeep Wrangler or tow a 16 foot enclosed trailer.
My Experiences:
1. Wind shear when driving on the highway that rocks the coach side to side and major steering wheel correction are needed to keep it straight
2. When a Big Rig passes or when I pass a big rig major corrections to the steering wheel are needed to continue straight
3. Driving in general is a workout to keep the RV Straight
4. When turning on highways or just making a turn on the street the sway is so apparent you have to go at a snail’s pace to make the turn.
5. Highway curves and off camber presents a serious unsafe feeling and major sway.
Did a lot of reading on forums and of course the dealer wanted to sell me everything but this is what I did to start to deal with the issues above.

Purchased

Front
Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping
1. Roadmaster 1139140 1-3/4" Front Sway Bar $526.47
2. Roadmaster RSSA Reflex Stabilizer Unit $241.97
3. Roadmaster RBK9 Bracket Kit $79.10

Installation Free- 1 hour install time

Rear
Cheap Handling Fix
Installation Free-1hour

When I got under my RV I saw that the OEM sway bar was not secure. 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the saddle brackets were missing, and the fourth about to go as well. Before doing the CHF I inspected the poly bushing and found no grease in the bushing. I greased the bushing added Loctite to the bolts then torqued to 65ft/lbs the 4 bolts (I used 3 from the front) through the saddle brackets, and then did the CHF.

Check Your Sway Bars Mounts

1 1/2 Hour Road test

First thing that was apparent was when leaving my driveway the coach did not rock from side to side emptying cabinets and throwing my Wife into my lap.

Second thing I noticed was that when making a turn on residential streets, the coach stayed upright with no sway…All I could say is Wow and that was 500 ft away from my house.

I proceeded to get on the Fwy and immediately noticed the ease and stability of the coach and the ability to almost drive with 1 finger.
The true test was driving at speed with cross winds of about 20 miles an hour(android app for area), uneven road, passing big rigs or being passed. All of these conditions were present during the test.

First thing I wanted to test on the Highway was a Big Rig passing ….Wow it was like night and day, I did not have to over steer to compensate for the turbulence caused by the Big Rig. During the test, I noticed there was heavy cross winds as well. I really could not tell that there were crosswinds; because there was very limited sway….I just could tell from the sound of the wind hitting my Rig. At this point I was excited that my RV was stable and fun to drive with little effort.
Downhill gradual turns on the highway presented challenges previous, now with the changes I could confidently go into the turn and give the minimal response to the wheel to get the turning results to make the turn. Unlike previously where you had to turn and hope the coach followed.

Conclusion:

Cost total with Tax and free shipping (Amazon Prime) $915.35

The absolute best upgrade you could do for handling windsear, Big Rig Turbulence, cross winds, Turn sway, driveway sway, straight line tracking. The outcome from the changes made is not subtle, but are huge and make all the difference. The result of the changes eliminates driver stress and fatigue and gives you confidence your rig will track down the road with ease.
With the confidence I have I will not need to add the rear sway bar.

OEM rating- 3 out of 10 stars :mad: Thor Shame on You!
Rating after mods- 9 out of 10 stars :dance::dance::dance:

bigdaddy5120 04-21-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 3027275)

Update: I put the duralast 28" wiper blades to replace the stock 31" blades and they seemed to work great .

bigdaddy5120 04-21-2016 05:42 PM

I completed a couple of small mods this past weekend .

1) added a 12v power socket to driver's side
2) mounted my GPS in the Ipod slot( can be removed to use in the car also)
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...b9d764aad5.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...bc949121d8.jpg

rvbunz 04-22-2016 05:58 AM

Front sway bar

Are you using the front roadmaster sway bar in conjunction with the oem sway bar from Ford?

IrihRed 04-23-2016 01:48 PM

New to a '16 37KT, where is the switch for the tow/haul function? Must admit I have not read the myriad of materials in the black bag from Thor yet.

LyonsL 04-23-2016 02:26 PM

Installed RV SnapPads on the leveling jacks

1 Attachment(s)
Installed these new jack pads today, easy peasy. No more reaching under the coach to manually set pads when setting up!

Automatic RV Leveling Jack Pads - RV SnapPad

IrihRed 04-23-2016 02:57 PM

Drove my new baby home towing my toad!

Took delivery 4/12 of '16 37KT at CW in Ft Myers. I was very pleased with walk thru and indoctrination, and using my 5 page check list I felt comfortable that all systems worked and things were in order. We had planned to stay overnight or longer at CW as we wanted to add 2 additional house batteries, had to set up tow dolly etc. and had some needed RV purchases to take care of. The next morning having our coffee outside, Mike walked around unit and saw a hinge on the big cable slide that didn't look right (one screw missing, one askew, and off kilter looking like it could pull off slide momentarily!). I then proceeded to take a shower to get the day going, turned out kitchen floor area also got water from my shower. Went to service and told to bring over right away. Great, went to pull in slides and front couch slide bound forward and went crooked. Service then came out to get coach and drove it over with that slide out! Turns out these were all QC Thor problems that should have been handled b4 leaving plant. Oh well, I expected some issues and we had a few. CW couldn't have been better! Came back after weekend stayed over night, took a shower, checked slides numerous times and now a Happy Camper loving my new 37KT. Drove home (135 mi) for first time towing a toad on a dolly, great experience, couldn't feel the tow. So now for a few newbie Challenger questions for all of you. I thought the 2016/6sp F53 chassis was suppose to be improved with many of the mods you all talk about, but I found it very susceptible to wind and big trucks and wallowing around corners etc. (My 76 GMC Eleganza that I had for many years in CO in the eighties drove much better, I know 28' and a much diff vehicle!). So what mods should I consider on a 2016 chassis? Also when off shore power and driving what settings should I use (and where) to keep the Fridge on? With 4 batteries and the inverter I should have plenty of juice. Now we must have XM and a RV GPS what are the best ways to add and hookup? Another question, as we might kill each other hand washing dishes etc., has anyone put a dishwasher drawer in the lower area of the pantry since it is plumbed with water and drain for a washer? This may be a lot for one post but I am a newbie, please bear with me and know I really appreciate your advice and input! PS:I will post some pics of our new 37KT in another thread. To recap my questions:
1) What mods should I make to the 2016 f53 chassis to stabilize?
2) Off power what settings to keep fridge on when driving?
3) Dishwasher drawer in lower area of pantry?
4) XM & RV GPS, best ways to add and hook up?
Thanks in advance, you folks are the best!

Sanford 04-24-2016 05:06 AM

It is located on the end of the gear shift lever.

happycamperj 04-24-2016 05:37 AM

One more concern for a new Challenger owner:

Irih Red, I have one more concern that seems to be overlooked by some Challenger owners. If yours has the 22,000 lb GVW, with a GCVW of 26,000 lbs, does that not mean that you only have 4,000 lbs for your toad and all other carry on items, including passengers, propane , etc.? I know the Challenger will pull a heavier car or truck, but is that not a real safety concern, much less a warranty issue if there are other problems that arise?

sbleiweiss 04-24-2016 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3036193)
New to a '16 37KT, where is the switch for the tow/haul function? Must admit I have not read the myriad of materials in the black bag from Thor yet.

On the 5 speed it is on the end of the shift lever. Don't know if it changed with the 6 speed or not.

sbleiweiss 04-24-2016 07:28 AM

[QUOTE= To recap my questions:
2) Off power what settings to keep fridge on when driving?
3) Dishwasher drawer in lower area of pantry?
4) XM & RV GPS, best ways to add and hook up?
Thanks in advance, you folks are the best![/QUOTE]

2 Turn on inverter. On ours it is on side wall of stair well. While driving the alternator will keep your house batteries charged and your extra batteries are not needed. They will be nice for boondocking though.
3 Would rather use the space for W/D.
4 DW has XM installed but I don't know much about it. I know the receiver/antenna thingy is on the dash near the windshield and she faces it south as best she can. Music comes through the built in radio and speakers.

sbleiweiss 04-24-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3036240)
Installed these new jack pads today, easy peasy. No more reaching under the coach to manually set pads when setting up!

So these just basically lengthen each jack arm? Let us know how they work and whether they hold up.

bigdaddy5120 04-24-2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

I just might have to get a set of these ! Keep us updated . Thanks for the information .

wldracing 04-24-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 3034159)
Are you using the front roadmaster sway bar in conjunction with the oem sway bar from Ford?

If you are replying to my post, then yes upgraded to the roadmaster in the front and did the CHF in the back with the OEM from Ford sway bar.

ctpres 04-24-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3036264)

Bet the trip home was empty weight. Would not rush to changes until you load her up, get weighed and set tire pressure to mfg's table for each axel. Then make a trip or two and I bet there will be a big difference

wldracing 04-25-2016 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3038268)
Bet the trip home was empty weight. Would not rush to changes until you load her up, get weighed and set tire pressure to mfg's table for each axel. Then make a trip or two and I bet there will be a big difference

I just posted a detailed review of how I fixed the handling issue. Go to : https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/2015...ew-286474.html

wldracing 04-25-2016 05:49 AM

Quote:

My Main reason for using Jack Pads is to use on a uneven soft surface (like sand) to eliminate sinking and to better distribute weight on my cement driveway. With the apparent circumference of the jack pad, do you have any issues with sinking. Love the design, and the fact that you don't have to crawl under to set the pads. What is the diameter of the Pad?

Thanks

IrihRed 04-25-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3038268)

You are right, but full gas, LP, H2O, 1/2 Black tank, 1/2 Gray, 4 batt, 2 adults (430lbs) but not a lot of belongings etc. Will be going to KW first week in May more loaded and will see how it does then. Also, after I think we are fairly loaded for FT travel I will look for a place to weigh all 4 corners and make necessary adjustments. Thanks for your help.

Webman9113 04-26-2016 06:41 AM

Starting in on some long-delayed mods to our 2014.5 37KT before our upcoming trip to Yellowstone. I realized that we're now down to 39 days before we leave, so I guess I better get cracking!

Here are some of the major things I hope to get done (putting to good use the money we managed to get back from IRS this year):

- Replace the horribly uncomfortable fold-out sofa bed in the living room with theater style seats. Heck, bean bags would be better!

- WeBoost 4G RV coupled to a wideband directional antenna to improve data connectivity while we're parked (not so worried about while we're rolling: I have to drive and the DW knits). I'll be putting the antenna on the TV mast and repurposing the RG6 cable, since we never watch on-air TV.

- Ubiquiti Nanostaion LocoM2 + Airgateway Indoor Access Point to get better park WiFi connectivity (on the rare occasion when park wifi is as good as what we get via Verizon LTE). Will mount that on an extendable pole on the rear ladder.

- Lower the living room TV to a more comfortable viewing height.

- Ditto for the outdoor TV, which is more of a challenge because the mounts that allow drop-down require about 5" clearance behind the TV, and that's a bit limited by the interior cabinet. Any suggestions?

- Feed HDMI to the bedroom and outdoor TVs (I removed the midships one) with an IOGear HDMI Matrix Pro (I wouldn't have bothered with this rather expensive item, except that we were having chronic interference problems with the coax distribution that no one could pin down).

- Remove the video switcher and replace it with a 3-way splitter for park cable to feed direct to the TVs (minus the midships/kitchen one, which I took out).

- Replace the wretched OEM mattress with a 10" memory foam California King (will require slicing off several inches from one end) we bought from Wayfair.

- Replace our Dish Network VIP 211K receiver with a VIP 612 so we can both record and watch programs simultaneously with the dual feed from our Pathway X2 antenna (will require adding a dual coax input to the A/V cabinet on the driver's side slide).

- Install a kitty door in the stairwell so we can put their litter box in one of the storage bays.

- Pull-out shelves/drawers for select storage bays.

- And, last but not least (leaving out the numerous more minor mods), the Cheap Handling Fix for the suspension (we already have a Safe-T-Plus and Blue Ox Trak Bar installed, but I wasn't overly impressed with the changes in handling they made).

I feel sorry for the poor UPS guy... :D