iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

KC 09-09-2016 10:59 AM

Hello Challenger owners I have a question. I own a 15 37KT and I was wondering if I have the Auto Generator set for Enable. Will it come if the AC needs to come on if the temp gets to hot in the rv?

KC

ctpres 09-09-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 3246961)
Hello Challenger owners I have a question. I own a 15 37KT and I was wondering if I have the Auto Generator set for Enable. Will it come if the AC needs to come on if the temp gets to hot in the rv?

KC

You will need to program the generator start module. Really need manual, at least for the first time as there are a lot of options - one is to start gen at set temp.

rvbunz 09-10-2016 05:39 AM

To my understanding the auto gen is designed to start the generator if the battery levels go low, not to control a/c operation

ctpres 09-10-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 3247901)
To my understanding the auto gen is designed to start the generator if the battery levels go low, not to control a/c operation

Magnum AGS in our 15 KT has the following settings/adjustments
Run time hours
Start temp
Start volts
Clock
Quiet time

logalinipoo 09-10-2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3248105)
Magnum AGS in our 15 KT has the following settings/adjustments
Run time hours
Start temp
Start volts
Clock
Quiet time

Yes, they do. It's very easy to adjust mine is in the basement right by the inverter. It just has some little set screws. I think 85 is the highest temp you can set it to come on.

I haven't figured out the hours, but I haven't looked into it either. Actually the hours is easy. I haven't figured out how to set the clock.

The start temp is annoying. I like to leave gen auto start ebnabled all the time. We fulltime with cats. I have it set to 85, but even when in rv parks I'm concerned that if we leave and the power goes out it will get to hot.

But during hot days if we're in and out a lot the temp will rise so high that the generator starts even though I have good 50 amp service. It will stay on until the temp drops.

ctpres 09-15-2016 12:32 PM

Propane tank gauge errors

Our tank never went below 2/3 on display panel -but then we seldom used furnace so never ran till empty using just cooktop burners. Currently using furnace every morning to take the chill off and this AM DW was fussing about low burner flame. Yup tank gauge reads over 1/2 full and display say 2/3. Researched gauge and learned how to test tank gauge. Tank contains a float that rotates a magnet behind gauge. Plastic gauge housing just snaps onto metal tank float fitting with four plastic tabs. Insert small flat screw driver between gauge and metal fitting - gauge will pop off. Rotate small magnet around rear of gauge and confirm dial moves from empty to full and display reads different levels. Did not disconnect gauge wires to rear of meter but research says meter should read between 0 and 90 ohms depending on dial position. If gauge bad it is easy DIY R/R and costs $50 plus or minus. Avail Amazon and Ebay for under $50 (Amazon Prime $35.) In my case either gauge built upside down, tank float magnet not installed correctly, or float in tank is bad. Won't know till we get tank filled

wldracing 09-16-2016 05:26 AM

2015 Challenger 35 HT-Replacing OEM Batteries with AGM Batteries to

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Kids,

I have a 2015 Challenger 35HT and in the past have not done much dry camping. Well I have been missing out on alot of cool views and places that only dry camping can bring. Any Hout...With the Res Frig and only 2 OEM batteries, the charge is lost quickly.

I did some battery research and found that AGM Golf cart 6 volt batteries are the way to go. I purchased 4 Amstron GC2 6V AGM Deep Cycle Battery AP-GC2
and yes these batteries can be shipped and you are not charged more if you don't have a core. I purchased from AtBat.com, 2 year warranty. If you do have a core they will pay you for it ....Just let them know.

6volt
Capacity: 210AH
Maintenance Free
AGM Technology
CCA: 710A, CA: 855A
Reserve Capacity at 25A: 475 Minutes
Reserve Capacity at 75A: 124 Minutes
Terminal: Dual SAE and 5/16"" Stud

Price: $189.00 each

All four batteries fit perfectly in the battery bay, you will need to purchase an extra battery strap. You can use the existing strap for 2 of the batteries. I had custom battery cables made up to my exact dimensions to accommodate a series/parallel configuration-See Photo for wiring. You will need to Replace all cables connecting your batteries

Ground From Frame to your battery (longest)
2 that will connect batteries in series (shortest) Diagonal Pos to Neg
2 that will connect in parallel (Medium size) Neg to Neg and Pos to Pos
5/16 connector for post-You will have a choice when ordering the post size for your battery, make sure this matches with the cable you are ordering.
See photo

I use 2/0 cable, you can order yours from gaugewireandcable on eBay

Attachment 139077

daverubino 09-22-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logalinipoo (Post 3200392)
Sorry I haven't had time to read all through this thread. I'm working on it, but I have a few probs I need to get addressed.

We've been fulltime for over a month. And everything has been pretty good, but now we're in Colorado with a few problems.

First, the kitchen sink fell on the drive here. Does anyone know what glue or epoxy to use on the brackets? I've tried looking around and every one keeps pointing me to constriction adhesive. I tried it and 2 days later it was not strong enough to hold the sink.

I can't figure out how to work the furnace. I'm making due with the fireplace, but can't find the furnace control anywhere. Both thermostats just have options for cool and off.

I too have experience the shower leak, but I find its water from the door seals. Not too big of a deal

Finally I bought a wineguard travler, and I'm trying to figure out where to mount it on the roof. I found the orange wire for satalite behind the fireplace and traced it to a turn out of the ba see mentioned up with the antenna wire. But I only have 2 vents on my roof and haven't seen where the dish should mount or where the wire goes. I guess it's time to pull vent covers and maybe ac unit covers. If anyone has an idea or better yet pictures tg as t would be great.

Logan

Our kitchen sink fell out at CW when we went to pick it up. Supposedly, around 100 went out with the wrong adhesive.

daverubino 09-22-2016 04:05 PM

Water Filtering

OK, I just read through this whole forum. Thanks to all for the great ideas! :thumb: I already ran out, found some plywood in the shed and fixed that lower step! What I was surprised at, however, unless I missed something, that nobody talked about water purification. :confused:We just sold our house and will be going full-time at the start of the year and good water is very important to us. Buying and storing bottled water is a pain so I researched water filter units. This is what I got: Boats/RV's-motor homes commercial grade water filtration system for chemical and microbiological protection I added the 5 micron sediment filter with the clear housing on the right.https://i65.tinypic.com/21443y9.jpg

daverubino 09-22-2016 05:27 PM

another question, does anybody know what the empty wood box is for in the under storage behind the door? I'm figuring support for the washer and dryer if installed? I don't have one, so I figured I could rip it out and use the extra storage or do the litter box mod.

JohnG2013KT 09-23-2016 07:29 AM

Thermostat resets when powerfails

Hi ..
Whenever the power goes off (which is quite often here in central Fl) the thermostats reset to 72 degrees. In the summer we like to keep the coach at 78 degrees. So when this happens I have to make a trip to the coach to reset back to 78 ... Grrrrr!

Anyone faced this issue and found a solution? Other than replacing the thermostats?

Thanks
John

sbleiweiss 09-24-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 3266106)
Hi ..
Whenever the power goes off (which is quite often here in central Fl) the thermostats reset to 72 degrees. In the summer we like to keep the coach at 78 degrees. So when this happens I have to make a trip to the coach to reset back to 78 ... Grrrrr!

Anyone faced this issue and found a solution? Other than replacing the thermostats?

Thanks
John

Sort of. On our prior Challenger this happened every night. Raplacing the thermostat didn't stop the problem. It turned out to be something (a short or bad circuit board) at the furnace. Thor factory couldn't find or identify the problem. Total Valu RV did. No problem since.

Tunes 09-24-2016 05:48 PM

LED awning lights

Every time I open my Awnings on my 37KT toward the end of opening them they stick to the LED lights. Today a small strip of the vinyl awning actually peeled off and stuck to the LED light strip. Now I have a hole width of the LED strip about an inch long. Any suggestions on how to keep the LED lights from sticking to the awning?

logalinipoo 09-25-2016 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunes (Post 3268356)
Every time I open my Awnings on my 37KT toward the end of opening them they stick to the LED lights. Today a small strip of the vinyl awning actually peeled off and stuck to the LED light strip. Now I have a hole width of the LED strip about an inch long. Any suggestions on how to keep the LED lights from sticking to the awning?

We're the lights on and possibly hot when you rolled the awning in? I know less don't really get hot, but maybe they are hot enough to make them stick. I've got a 2016 37kt and have no problems.

IrihRed 09-25-2016 07:15 AM

3 month update ft

Haven't posted in awhile, enjoying traveling too much! Left FL beginning of July in our 16 KT (just two of us and our Cocker Gaylord) and have traversed most of the south including VA mountains. Spent a week on the Mighty Mississippi (west Memphis Tom Sawyer RV Park). Our trip has been awesome to say the least. How we haven't gained weight is beyond me. The Gulf, Pensacola, Biloxi, New Orleans... such great seafood (the royal red shrimp in Biloxi are beyond description) and varieties of to make a "foodie" smile! On our way to Albuquerque for the Int Balloon Fiesta. As for the coach, we have been beyond pleased, a few minor things that we DYI with some help from Thor cust svc. With weight in the basement the drive has been great. Adding Sumo shocks while in the Albuquerque area as being in the West we will be experiencing a lot more wind. Our one major mod replacing the dining table with an Ikea butcher block counter has proved great for the way we live. Picked up a small Mexican clay pizza oven along our travels (now we store wood and an axe in Jeep) that fits on a picnic table. We are probably a little too much in vacation mode but starting to take more time to relax and enjoy. In some ways would have liked a DP but nothing had a floorplan that compared to the livability our KT. We only travel in the coach to change location (4-5 times a mo, max 250 mi a trip) and use the Jeep to explore. All in all we are "Happy Campers"! One issue we have not quite resolved. We must have gotten some bad H2O somewhere and we are getting a gaseous smell from the fridge and hot water??? We are usually hooked up and treat our FW tank. It is getting better as I add treatment in the hose each time we hook up H2O but is still there. (also changed both filters, house and fridge). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tunes 09-25-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logalinipoo (Post 3268777)
We're the lights on and possibly hot when you rolled the awning in? I know less don't really get hot, but maybe they are hot enough to make them stick. I've got a 2016 37kt and have no problems.

No, lights were not on. Maybe I got a bad strip of LED's. They fell sticky/gummy when you touch them

sbleiweiss 09-26-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3268909)
Haven't posted in awhile, enjoying traveling too much! Our one major mod replacing the dining table with an Ikea butcher block counter has proved great for the way we live.

Good for you guys! Can you post a pix of the table? We love our table but would be interested in seeing what you did.

Rustynail462 09-26-2016 09:23 AM

Yah... very interested in the KT but not impressed with the table set up... love to see a picture of the Mod..... ! ! !

IrihRed 09-27-2016 05:52 AM

I will try to upload some pics of the Ikea counter in lieu of the table later today

IrihRed 09-27-2016 06:03 AM

Table Mod

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the Ikea counter/table. It is on height adjustable legs, so you can make it counter height if you want and use stools. As we travel we also use it as a desk area w computer. You are also facing the curb side and looking out the big window where hopefully you have a view!

ctpres 09-27-2016 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3271667)
I will try to upload some pics of the Ikea counter in lieu of the table later today

From the pic it seems chair legs will be at different levels with one pair on floor and the other on slide. How does that work. We have used std. table in front and did not have much more room. Looks like the Ikea table could be used there and maybe even seat six. Interesting change. We really like the idea of facing the window.

IrihRed 09-27-2016 08:38 AM

The diff from the slide carpet and the floor is not really noticeable with the chairs but with stools it might be. I took a pic this AM of how we are using it today and I will post later. When just the two of us (which is normal) we usually eat up front at the captain chairs and table. BTW I cut the counter down to the exact length of the side valences on the big window so it has no movement when traveling. The counter is not real heavy as it's just a butcher block veneer. My original plan was to make it the height of the window break w stools but we really liked it with the chairs. Between the chairs is our cocker's condo home which will show in the new pic.

IrihRed 09-27-2016 08:50 AM

More pics of table/counter Mod

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of more pics of the mod from this AM showing how we are using it today. It changes as needs change, sometimes extra counter space for cooking, sometimes for dining, sometimes a desk and work space. We are currently in Albuquerque for the Int Balloon Fiesta which starts this weekend. Next week when we get our oil changed we are also adding Sumo Springs and will write about the difference in ride and stability after we travel more.

sbleiweiss 09-28-2016 08:14 AM

Very creative! I showed it to DW with some trepidation because I thought she might add it to my honeydo list. Thankfully not. To us the table is not a problem needing a solution. But with that said I remember that when we traded our 2013 DT for the 2014.5 KT (long story-no we don't trade every year) we were so appalled at what Thor had done to the table design that we swapped our 2013 table for the new one. Maybe that is why you guys don't like the table. As I recall, it had this huge and ugly lock down mechanism on one leg, didn't any longer slide out, and was oak in a MH full of cherry. Anyway, I like your fix.

ferg182 09-28-2016 11:30 AM

We are leaving tomorrow to come to Albuquerque for the balloon festival. We come in on Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Rsapp 09-30-2016 06:08 AM

Info Please

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3271677)
Here is a pic of the Ikea counter/table. It is on height adjustable legs, so you can make it counter height if you want and use stools. As we travel we also use it as a desk area w computer. You are also facing the curb side and looking out the big window where hopefully you have a view!

Can you send the model number or some other way to find this table I did a search on IKEA web site and it didn't bring it up.
Thanks. Russell

Tunes 09-30-2016 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just did a search on IKEA web site and this is the one that I found. I'm not sure if it is the right one or not but it sure looks like it.

GERTON Table - IKEA

ctpres 09-30-2016 06:32 PM

Hitch info.

Our early 2015 has 5,000 pound hitch and I would like to tow a bit more safely. Could someone with 8,000 pound hitch look at hitch mfg and model number. Can not find just using Ford F53 for search. Thanks

Rsapp 10-04-2016 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info. Next project per my wife should be an easy trade out.

Russell

IrihRed 10-05-2016 05:25 AM

It is not a table, find it at Ikea under kitchen counter top selections. There you will also have choices of other that what I used.

IrihRed 10-05-2016 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsapp (Post 3275815)
Can you send the model number or some other way to find this table I did a search on IKEA web site and it didn't bring it up.
Thanks. Russell

Find it Ikea under kitchen counter tops, there you will find other choices also not just the one I used. Buy the telescoping legs separately, I used black.

IrihRed 10-11-2016 07:29 AM

I used the Ikea KARLBY counter top from their Kitchen area.
Article Number:
I chose the lighter butcher block but there are many choices.

IrihRed 10-15-2016 10:26 AM

Dish TV Antenna roof install on 16 KT? HELP!

Has anyone done this? Thor says they don't have diagrams of the satellite prep which all Challengers are suppose to have. I know we have the orange satellite cable behind the fireplace as I have removed and found it, but don't know how or where it runs to the roof? Any help or experience on this install will be greatly appreciated.

ctpres 10-15-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3295629)
Has anyone done this? Thor says they don't have diagrams of the satellite prep which all Challengers are suppose to have. I know we have the orange satellite cable behind the fireplace as I have removed and found it, but don't know how or where it runs to the roof? Any help or experience on this install will be greatly appreciated.

Never found ours in roof. Ended up running new coax and power. As I remember it:Ran from behind fireplace to right/fwd end of slide, tye wrapped to cable bundle, across floor next to existing wire under slide, up behind and around frig to cabinet above convection and thru all cabinets to top far left which is close to center line of roof, then just straight up thru roof. Some newer production units use a dummy vent. I would look for that first.

ctpres 10-16-2016 10:53 AM

New travel planner aid

Have been looking for some way to know in advance what kind of up down hill driving our next day would be like. So far - this is the best. https://www.flattestroute.com/?from=...mentMode=miles
Just plug in two cities - select driving and k or mi. Move mouse cursor along graph and you can see where grade , with elevation and slope in degrees, is on the route.

ctpres 10-16-2016 10:57 AM

New travel planner aid

Have been looking for some way to know in advance what kind of up down hill driving our next day would be like. So far - this is the best. https://www.flattestroute.com/?from=...mentMode=miles
Just plug in two cities - select driving and k or mi. Move mouse cursor along graph and you can see where grade , with elevation and slope in degrees, is on the route. And trip distance with estimated travel time.

Nanaimo 10-16-2016 11:54 AM

How did you winterize the Ice maker. I have never had one to worry about before, but now I do.
Thanks!
Wayne.

Hmmm I see my signature has not changed????
2015 Challenger 37GT

JohnG2013KT 10-18-2016 03:35 PM

Does anyone know where to find the CGWR ? I have a 2013 Challenger KT. I called Thor and they guy said that it was just 26,000. Given that the GVWR is 22,000 that doesn't leave much to allow for a towed vehicle? I see where some of the newer models have a CGWR of 30,000.. Any thoughts?

KC 10-18-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 3299974)
Does anyone know where to find the CGWR ? I have a 2013 Challenger KT. I called Thor and they guy said that it was just 26,000. Given that the GVWR is 22,000 that doesn't leave much to allow for a towed vehicle? I see where some of the newer models have a CGWR of 30,000.. Any thoughts?

You got 22k GVWR and 26K CGWR.

KC

rvbunz 10-19-2016 03:50 AM

Gwr

There should be a sticker on the side wall under the driver window area. That's where mine is on my 2013 Challenger 37DT. Mine is 22k I believe, and I had my coach weighed came in at 20k

DamonDude 10-25-2016 08:50 AM

371/37KT Big Window Shade

DW and I recently purchased our first RV, a 2009 Challenger 371 (forerunner of the 37KT). But, it didn't have a shade on the triple window in the dining area. Can someone describe what the shade is supposed to look like? Is it one big shade or three smaller shades? Are they day/night like on the other windows? Do they just reach the bottom of the windows or go to the floor? The replacement shades the dealer put on aren't making DW happy. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

handyman1943 10-25-2016 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonDude (Post 3309089)
DW and I recently purchased our first RV, a 2009 Challenger 371 (forerunner of the 37KT). But, it didn't have a shade on the triple window in the dining area. Can someone describe what the shade is supposed to look like? Is it one big shade or three smaller shades? Are they day/night like on the other windows? Do they just reach the bottom of the windows or go to the floor? The replacement shades the dealer put on aren't making DW happy. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

We have a 2013 37KT and have three separate day/night shades on the dining windows. Lots of work to move them down and up. Am considering replacing with one wide unit. Anyone else have suggestions?

daverubino 10-26-2016 05:40 AM

our '16 37KT has one piece day and night shades.

sbleiweiss 10-26-2016 09:03 AM

Our's has a single, white colored blackout shade that goes to the bottom of the windows and is encased on top and sides in a valence.

LyonsL 10-26-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3094616)
Here are a couple pics of the "finalized" outside TV installation on our 37KT.

The TV is mounted on an Omnimount that can swing out, drop down, and turn, so you can position the TV so as to see it from just about any angle on the curb side of the rig.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...9b761e189b.jpg

To stow for travel, you just push it back into the enclosure, then secure it with two velcro straps that are pinned in place by the aluminum angle "shelf" I bolted to the original metal TV enclosure.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...57c3df6721.jpg

When I get more time, I'll cut away some of the unneeded bits of the metal housing and paint the innards black to pretty it up a bit, but for now it's functional and ready to travel...

Webman9113, great job! Just curious, what did you use to cut the metal housing? it looks like pretty thick metal.

IrihRed 10-27-2016 06:05 AM

Sumo Spring Update & V10 Mtn performance

Having had the Sumo Springs installed in Albuquerque NM while visiting the Balloon Fiesta. I wanted to update my thoughts and experience as we have traversed the mountains of Colorado and Utah this past month. I can honestly say they have made a significant difference in stability especially with wind and gusts. Big rigs passing no longer have any real impact. Swales no longer create rock n roll! I have cruised at 70-75 mph with comfort. While the V10 is no diesel it performed admirably in the mountains, Yes, we would sometimes slow down to 45 mph on the steepest grades and would reach 4k rpm from time to time especially on downhill steep grades. The "tow/haul" feature works great in the mountains. (I actually always have it on). Our F53 V10 has the 6 speed transmission and I believe that really helps. We don't have the 5 Star tune so I don't know if that would have had an impact. I always felt comfortable with adequate power etc. for what will probably be the toughest roads of grade we will traverse towing our Jeep. Does anyone have mountain experience with the 6 speed V10 and the 5 Star Tune? Also the weather Gods have been following us on our journey as we have had gorgeous weather for this time of year in CO & UT. Would be interested in hearing from others as to their mountain experiences.

Currently in Cedar City UT exploring Kolob Canyon, Cedar Breaks, Zion and Bryce before heading to Las Vegas next week.

daverubino 10-27-2016 06:54 AM

I have a 5 Star Tune and love it. It minimizes downshifting on slight rises. I've done a lot of great mods, some I found here, some I did on my own. I'll post some stuff when I have more time. Our house sold a month ago and we're transitioning to full time so we're a little crazed right now.

handyman1943 10-27-2016 10:18 AM

three shades

Quote:

Originally Posted by handyman1943 (Post 3310276)
We have a 2013 37KT and have three separate day/night shades on the dining windows. Lots of work to move them down and up. Am considering replacing with one wide unit. Anyone else have suggestions?

After talking the situation over with my wife, she MUCH PREFERS the three individual shades.

ctpres 10-27-2016 06:57 PM

Not Fixed

Two or three times since new when emptying the kitchen sink water backed up in the shower. Only happened when removing the stopper. This time BIG difference - it stunk really bad. Tried plunger bathroom kitchen sinks and shower drain. Small food particles and sand showed up at shower drain. Removed shower trap to clean and not much there. In the end I found kitchen sink drain pipe and shower piping all flat under shower. Can't fix without removing shower! My temp fix Stopper in shower drain when not in use and train ALL kitchen users not to remove stoppers to drain sink. If still under wty you need to check. Fill one side of kitchen sink - remove stopper and watch shower. If you have problem -trust whoever does the work.

Harry B 10-28-2016 03:39 AM

Had the same backup of the shower problem on my Tuscany. Finally figured out that Thor had neglected to put a vent pipe on my gray tank. After adding a vent pipe, I have not had any problems for 3 months now. You might check if there is one on your coach,

tedgard01 10-28-2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3312699)
Two or three times since new when emptying the kitchen sink water backed up in the shower. Only happened when removing the stopper. This time BIG difference - it stunk really bad. Tried plunger bathroom kitchen sinks and shower drain. Small food particles and sand showed up at shower drain. Removed shower trap to clean and not much there. In the end I found kitchen sink drain pipe and shower piping all flat under shower. Can't fix without removing shower! My temp fix Stopper in shower drain when not in use and train ALL kitchen users not to remove stoppers to drain sink. If still under wty you need to check. Fill one side of kitchen sink - remove stopper and watch shower. If you have problem -trust whoever does the work.

Did you look under the wheel well? There should be an access under the shower drain. It may be a piece of plywood that covers that access hole. You should not need to remove the shower.

ctpres 10-28-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 3313965)
Did you look under the wheel well? There should be an access under the shower drain. It may be a piece of plywood that covers that access hole. You should not need to remove the shower.

Yup - it's there but did not help much in removing trap. Ended up removing trap thru access plate at front of shower'
BTW: that access is a plastic sheet that has warped and sagged over time allowing water and bugs to get into area. Replacing it is on my list of things to do.

ctpres 10-29-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 3313965)

Sorry I did not say enough.
My comment about need to remove shower was what is necessary to properly fix the drain problem. From kitchen sink to bathroom sink the drain is flat - no slope at all so stuff accumulates in the drain line. The drain pipe needs to be raised on fwd end and lowered on aft end and a special bladder trap installed in place of shower trap. It is a MAJOR project I am not willing to attempt.

tedgard01 10-29-2016 04:15 PM

Got it..

sbleiweiss 10-30-2016 10:12 AM

Chuck: Have you explored the grey tank venting comment? Just wondering.

ctpres 10-30-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3316112)
Chuck: Have you explored the grey tank venting comment? Just wondering.

No! Early on I found a Y roof vent pipe connection under the bathroom sink and assumed it works. Guess one day I will go one roof - seal roof vent and see what happens when I dump.

Harry B 10-30-2016 12:46 PM

The problem I had presented it self as the shower base backing up when any sink, dishwasher or washing machine emptied. Tracing the drains I realized that the drain from the shower base had it's own pipe going into the gray tank as well as the kitchen sink. Opening up the intake vent (or what ever they are called) of the shower base which is located behind the toilet stopped the problem but I noticed air coming out when running the washing machine. That gave me the clue that the gray tank was building up pressure when water was entering the tank.
I have since plumped the vent in back of the toilet into the pipe of the black tank that goes to the roof.
The pressure in the gray tank pushed the content of the P trap and pipes into the shower basin which is at the lowest point. The other sinks and washing machine drains bubbled at times but nothing ever came out of them.

ctpres 11-04-2016 09:58 AM

Idea Department

Techno posted idea on rvillage that some source of training would be good for new Challenger owners. That got me thinking. We have a lot of long time Challenger owners here. Often RV shoppers find decision making info right here and end up buying a Challenger. What if the current owners make themselves available to new buyers during the PDI or shortly after purchase. According to rvvillage COC map we have owners all over the US. And many full time always on the move.

daverubino 11-05-2016 08:53 AM

Being pretty new to the RV thing, I wouldn't even mind getting together with a seasoned owner to talk about things. We can sure use it. I joined RV Village awhile ago. It seems like a cool concept.

sbleiweiss 11-05-2016 09:29 AM

Nice idea Chuck. I would be more than happy to help out a new Challenger owner if he or she was near me and wanted the help.

bigben 11-06-2016 12:20 PM

More than glad to contribute in an effort to pay it forward.

ctpres 11-06-2016 05:32 PM

Big slide cable remove/replace

Big slide cable on our KT broke due to improper installation of previously damaged cable. Bal Accu-slide cable remove and replace tools and my tips.
1. Nicopress Swage-it #3 Not easy to find but worth the search if trying to save $
2. Cable - wire rope cutter I used $10 electronic crimping tool with small screw cutter. Yes it cut 5/32 stainless wire rope all the way except for a very few strands that were easy to cut with side cutter.
3. BAL 22305 repair kit Amazon Prime $20.35. If you don't have one buy it as spare. Part seldom stocked and you could be sitting still somewhere waiting.
4. 3/8 in ratchet combination wrench
Plus a couple more easy to find/borrow.

Do NOT remove broken cable - doing so will result in a couple extra hours of frustrating work. Old cable hooks to new with special sleeve and some electrical tape. Just pull new in when pulling old out.
Remove wood trim along ceiling with thin putty knife and re-install when done with screws.
Cut new cable a bit long - just in case.
Follow printed kit instruction and watch a couple youtude videos on bal accu-slide.
I think factory instructions and videos are pretty good until it is time to adjust cable tension. Hopefully all of yours were adjusted right and you will only need to adjust the new cable.
Factory says to thread adjusting nut 1/2 inch on eye bolt to determine cable length. I opted for a bit less than 1/4 inch. Gave me more adjusting range. Before cutting I put a couple wraps of electrical tape around cable at point of contact with eye bolt. That helped me be sure I was not cutting it to short.
Look at all cable carriers before you start adjustment. If any of the carriers are much off vertical something else needs adjusting. Two of mine were approaching 45 degrees. Pretty sure due to previous bad service - not Thor. I found tension critical. For example with slide fully out the exposed outside cables should ALL have 1/2 inch up !/2 inch down or about one inch total travel in the middle under moderate pressure. Same thing with cables exposed inside when slide is all the way in. Four pull it out and four pull it in.
Think about one long cable attached inside and outside on each end. One end on top inside and the other on top outside - the chain and motor is in the middle. Say top outside cable VERY tight. When slide closes that corner will close against stop first/early. If corresponding end bottom corner is very loose it may not ever fully close. It's all a mater of balance.
When done be sure foam blocks are on all EIGHT cable adjusting nuts, cable carrier adjust lock nuts are tight and rubber grommets are installed at all eight cable ends.
I HIGHLY recommend you frequently check cable tension with slide in and out. I have a couple poles for washing and cleaning windshield. I fashioned a hook on the handle end of one so all I have to do is grab the top outside cables with the hook to check tension from the ground. No ladder or roof climbing necessary.
Questions? ask quick before I forget.

sbleiweiss 11-07-2016 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3326369)
Big slide cable on our KT broke due to improper installation of previously damaged cable. Bal Accu-slide cable remove and replace tools and my tips.
1. Nicopress Swage-it #3 Not easy to find but worth the search if trying to save $
2. Cable - wire rope cutter I used $10 electronic crimping tool with small screw cutter. Yes it cut 5/32 stainless wire rope all the way except for a very few strands that were easy to cut with side cutter.
3. BAL 22305 repair kit Amazon Prime $20.35. If you don't have one buy it as spare. Part seldom stocked and you could be sitting still somewhere waiting.
4. 3/8 in ratchet combination wrench
Plus a couple more easy to find/borrow.

Do NOT remove broken cable - doing so will result in a couple extra hours of frustrating work. Old cable hooks to new with special sleeve and some electrical tape. Just pull new in when pulling old out.
Remove wood trim along ceiling with thin putty knife and re-install when done with screws.
Cut new cable a bit long - just in case.
Follow printed kit instruction and watch a couple youtude videos on bal accu-slide.
I think factory instructions and videos are pretty good until it is time to adjust cable tension. Hopefully all of yours were adjusted right and you will only need to adjust the new cable.
Factory says to thread adjusting nut 1/2 inch on eye bolt to determine cable length. I opted for a bit less than 1/4 inch. Gave me more adjusting range. Before cutting I put a couple wraps of electrical tape around cable at point of contact with eye bolt. That helped me be sure I was not cutting it to short.
Look at all cable carriers before you start adjustment. If any of the carriers are much off vertical something else needs adjusting. Two of mine were approaching 45 degrees. Pretty sure due to previous bad service - not Thor. I found tension critical. For example with slide fully out the exposed outside cables should ALL have 1/2 inch up !/2 inch down or about one inch total travel in the middle under moderate pressure. Same thing with cables exposed inside when slide is all the way in. Four pull it out and four pull it in.
Think about one long cable attached inside and outside on each end. One end on top inside and the other on top outside - the chain and motor is in the middle. Say top outside cable VERY tight. When slide closes that corner will close against stop first/early. If corresponding end bottom corner is very loose it may not ever fully close. It's all a mater of balance.
When done be sure foam blocks are on all EIGHT cable adjusting nuts, cable carrier adjust lock nuts are tight and rubber grommets are installed at all eight cable ends.
I HIGHLY recommend you frequently check cable tension with slide in and out. I have a couple poles for washing and cleaning windshield. I fashioned a hook on the handle end of one so all I have to do is grab the top outside cables with the hook to check tension from the ground. No ladder or roof climbing necessary.

Thanks. Very helpful, although I don't think I would tackle this project myself. I suspect many a mobile tech would benefit from your description too.

LyonsL 11-08-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3326369)

Chuck, just curious, did the cable fray before it broke?

I had to adjust the cable tension on the large slide of my coach after the factory service center worked on the cable system (because they had one cable way too tight) but fortunately I haven't had any problems since then (about 14,000 miles ago).

ctpres 11-08-2016 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3328812)
Chuck, just curious, did the cable fray before it broke?

I had to adjust the cable tension on the large slide of my coach after the factory service center worked on the cable system (because they had one cable way too tight) but fortunately I haven't had any problems since then (about 14,000 miles ago).

It broke at the outside aft bottom termination cap, hard to tell for sure but I think it was failure of the termination crimp as some of the strands came out of the end cap. I did not check cable tension after last service. Quite convinced now that frequent visual inspection and tension checks are necessary. Takes me less than two minutes now with my "hook on the end of pole." Not 100% sure why but it seems re-adjustment is a good idea after service - especially cable replacement. Glad I put wood trim back on with screws. Now I will not be reluctant to work on it next time.

daverubino 11-09-2016 04:55 AM

I've had all kinds of trouble with my big KT slide. Adjusting nut came off once when bringing it home. Yesterday at the shop, they discovered the rollers came off their mounts. With the slide out, lift up the carpet and you'll see the rollers. They can shift back and forth and come off on one side. We bent the tabs in a little to keep them better. Our trouble was just after the pantry and the other end in the bedroom. Easy to check. Learning something new every day with these things! Oh, btw, this all stemmed from the post above from ctpres. I read about the 1" deflection on the cables. They had the slide out working on something else and I tried the cables and they had 4" on all four! I made them take it apart, which at first they were reluctant, but then got into it and untwisted cables, adjusted and found the rollers! Thanks so much! I would have never know if not for that post. I love this forum!!! :thumb:

LyonsL 11-09-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3329103)
It broke at the outside aft bottom termination cap, hard to tell for sure but I think it was failure of the termination crimp as some of the strands came out of the end cap. I did not check cable tension after last service. Quite convinced now that frequent visual inspection and tension checks are necessary. Takes me less than two minutes now with my "hook on the end of pole." Not 100% sure why but it seems re-adjustment is a good idea after service - especially cable replacement. Glad I put wood trim back on with screws. Now I will not be reluctant to work on it next time.

My initial cable failure was exactly the same. Unfortunately I had no choice and had to do the repair myself but that turned into a learning experience about the entire system and how it works.

For my cable failure, I found that the cable end near the exterior bracket was rubbing against the interior metal framing for the slide, while the slide was in and I was driving down the road. The factory drilled holes through the frame to exit the cables and attach them to the exterior brackets. The hole for the failed cable was not aligned properly and I had to ream it out and make it larger so the cable would stop rubbing. That was the ultimate fix that solved my problem.

I also agree that the cable tension is crucial and I check mine frequently.

LyonsL 11-09-2016 11:54 AM

Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 Genset Failure

I know why Thor called the motor coach the Challenger... because it's a constant challenge just keeping everything working all of the time.

I start the generator every month and put a load on it to exercise it as the factory recommends. A few weeks ago I started the generator and noticed that while it was running, the light on the start / stop switch was flashing and the generator was not producing power. I checked the manual and found that the generator was showing a "Code 27" fault, not a good thing. Keep in mind that the coach is only 27 months old and the generator only had about 25 hours on it.

I made an appointment with a local Cummins Dealer / Repair shop and had the generator checked. Bad news!!! The stator in the generator shorted out and took the rotor and control module with it. The good news, the generator was still under Cummins warranty (2 years everything, 3rd year all major parts). To repair the generator, it must be removed from the coach, torn down and rebuilt. Not something I want to tackle, considering it weighs about 450 lbs.

Anyway, it took them about a week to receive the parts and repair the generator which was not a big deal to us because we are not full timers. The total cost for parts and labor, $2,965.90, which fortunately was completely covered by the Cummins factory warranty.

I do have an extended warranty on the coach that would have covered most of the repair cost if the factory warranty was expired. Thankfully I did not have to use it this time!

ctpres 11-09-2016 05:59 PM

Bal acu-slide service notes

More stuff to check - especially after service - in addition to cable tension testing inside and outside. Can only be done with wood trim removed. There must be foam blocks over all eight of the cable adjusting nuts. Lock nut on chain end of cable housing (four of them) must be tight against the cable housing NOT chain end. If cable was replaced does the aluminum ferrule crimp look nice, clean and uniform with THREE crimps. The U bolt type of cable clamp should never be used in place of or in addition to the crimped ferrule. The threaded ends can get hooked in the other chain and cause more problems or damage. That happened in my case. CW tech did not have proper crimping tool. Looks like he used electronic connector tool. It did not hold so he added the U bolt cable clamp - which eventually caused more problems. In my opinion the Bal acu-slide is a simple and user serviceable system. With proper installation and adjustment, followed up with routine inspections, it should be trouble free.

marcdohc 11-17-2016 12:42 PM

The Perfect name!

Man, I never connected the name Challenger to what its like owning it. Your absolutely right, The perfect name.
Anyway some might remember I logged in a ways back regarding many problems with my 16 Kt. Things got so bad that Thor decided to send a driver to Massachusetts to bring her back to Indiana. They worked on it for about a month fixing the issues such as driving down the road crooked, making it so the windshield wipers didn't get tangled up with each other, having AC in the dash, bad shock, hydraulic levelers coming on by themselves while driving and 6 or 7 more things that thankfully are no longer at the tip of my tongue. At first they refused to pay for our expenses to pick her up but after countless calls, emails and tantrums they finally agreed to fly us out there and have a car pick us up at the airport. When we arrived at Thor they treated us with open arms, top notch. Almost like I was a big wig. Unfortunately 1/2 the repairs were not done to my or Mrs D's satisfaction. They put us up in a local hotel, got us a rental car and went to re fixing the issues. It took 3 more nights before we were on our way back to Mass. It still isn't perfect but its close enough. Like I said, I had to kick, scream and demand over and over again. I even got my dealer involved, who is a huge Thor dealer which I think played a huge roll in them finally treating me as they did. In the end it took way more time and energy than I ever thought it would. Not loving my KT but finally liking it, Marcdohc

Rustynail462 11-18-2016 06:46 AM

Wow, really....thank you for sharing this with us. My wife and I plan in the near future to buy a new Motor Home and originally Thor was on the top of our list. However, after months of reading and studying that has changed. We thought thor had what we wanted and in a good price range,we looked at others such as Newmar & Tiffin. Heard about entry level etc.,and now it seems the old saying " You Get What You Pay For "apply's here.
We live in the "Dead Center" Canada, no where near a major dealer so when we do buy, and sure don't want a Ghost or Lemon like the above.

We likely, when ready will be looking close at a Tiffin, realizing there is no perfect MH it appears Thor is entry level with lots of issues.

Thank you for sharing your story, we sure couldn't live with this...

daverubino 11-18-2016 08:50 AM

Marcdohc, I'm sorry to hear about the extent of your problems. At the moment, our coach is pretty much ok. We're waiting on a new fireplace which shorted out and started smoking. (I don't think that was part of the fireplace effect!) Since we picked it up in May, it's spent way more time at dealers than it has in our driveway. When we picked it up in Tampa, they had a Thor guy come because we had so many problems. When we got as far as Mrytle Beach, we were so pissed off, we left it at a dealer there to hopefully fix everything. We rented a car and drove back to CT. Two weeks later we went down to pick it up. On the way back that night, the big slide broke. All this deeply concerns us because we're going full time in it Jan. 3rd. What am I going to do then when my "home" breaks? We have a friend that we actually met on the ride home from Mrytle that has a Tiffin Phaeton. He spent $100K more than we did and the build quality definitely shows. They've had problems too, but not to this magnitude. Well have to see how it goes. Hopefully I won't have to cut my loses and have to buy something better or my wife gets fed up and decides to go back to a house! This has been my dream, not hers. She's being a good wife and trying to follow my dream, but she'll only take so much! We plan to basically snow-bird Cape Cod to Florida. Who are you using in MA? Maybe if you're near the Cape during season, we can meet up. We can share horror stories over a beer! I wish you all the luck! :sad:

LyonsL 11-19-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustynail462 (Post 3340360)
Wow, really....thank you for sharing this with us. My wife and I plan in the near future to buy a new Motor Home and originally Thor was on the top of our list. However, after months of reading and studying that has changed. We thought thor had what we wanted and in a good price range,we looked at others such as Newmar & Tiffin. Heard about entry level etc.,and now it seems the old saying " You Get What You Pay For "apply's here.
We live in the "Dead Center" Canada, no where near a major dealer so when we do buy, and sure don't want a Ghost or Lemon like the above.

We likely, when ready will be looking close at a Tiffin, realizing there is no perfect MH it appears Thor is entry level with lots of issues.

Thank you for sharing your story, we sure couldn't live with this...

Although we've had some issues with our Thor Challenger, we have many RV friends that own Newmars, Tiffins, Fleetwoods, etc. and they all have had problems. A close friend owns a Fleetwood Excursion that was in the shop for 10 months out of the first 12 that he owned it. Most RVs are built with the same components from a handful of suppliers and it's usually the components that go bad. Don't believe that "you get what you pay for" in the RV world, because you never will.

Expect problems as time goes on, learn to repair and maintain as much as you can yourself and your RV will spend less time in the shop and you will spend more time on the road.

After owning several new RVs, my advice to all, buy the floorplan that suits you the best, buy what you can afford, hit the road and enjoy the RV life!

Rascal55 11-20-2016 03:04 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about the various difficulties people are having especially when RV's are tied up for months awaiting repairs. We have a 2013 KT and (knock on wood) have not had any really costly or major slow downs. Yes one of our cables broke but we found a good company in Arizona that came out to us, ordered the replacement cable from Amazon and did the repair withing two weeks. We were able to live in the RV the whole time. Some other minor issues we have handled ourselves, and undertaken some mods. All in all our Thor Challenger has been great to us and we are full timers.

sbleiweiss 11-21-2016 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal55 (Post 3343152)
I'm really sorry to hear about the various difficulties people are having especially when RV's are tied up for months awaiting repairs. We have a 2013 KT and (knock on wood) have not had any really costly or major slow downs. Yes one of our cables broke but we found a good company in Arizona that came out to us, ordered the replacement cable from Amazon and did the repair withing two weeks. We were able to live in the RV the whole time. Some other minor issues we have handled ourselves, and undertaken some mods. All in all our Thor Challenger has been great to us and we are full timers.

Rascal: Who was this good mobile RV repair in AZ?

Rascal55 11-22-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3343937)
Rascal: Who was this good mobile RV repair in AZ?

I think it was ASAP Mobile RV repair in Phoenix.

ctpres 11-25-2016 05:38 PM

You THINK Thor is bad?

Based on recent recall stats. Thor with over 25% of market has a whopping 6% of all recalls. Nuff said.

opcop 11-28-2016 11:13 PM

Dash AC out again

Can anyone tell me why my dash AC keeps going out? I have a 2012 DT and the AC went out in 2014, now again. I only have about 10K miles on my rig. I'm not sure Ford will warrant it now, think the warranty expired. But this darn thing shouldn't be going out. Seems to me some type of flaw. The nearest Ford dealership that can take my rig for service is Fritt's Ford in Riverside, Ca. I live in Yucca Valley, Ca. near Palm Springs and it's a 60 mile drive. Any helpful advice.

Hoadley 12-05-2016 05:35 PM

New to the forum and looking forward to learning more about the RV community.

Proud new owner of a 2017 Thor Challenger 37YT. We sold our Fleetwood Gearbox toy hauler and decided to go with a Class A motorhome. So far we are loving it. As expected, there are things we discovered that need to be repaired, but all minor stuff (so far).

TechNot 12-05-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoadley (Post 3362048)
New to the forum and looking forward to learning more about the RV community.

Proud new owner of a 2017 Thor Challenger 37YT. We sold our Fleetwood Gearbox toy hauler and decided to go with a Class A motorhome. So far we are loving it. As expected, there are things we discovered that need to be repaired, but all minor stuff (so far).

Congratulations! That is a great new floor plan. Keep in touch with updates and hope to see you on the road sometime.

Chief Alen 12-08-2016 02:11 AM

37YT

Can you please post some pictures of the slides in on your YT please.

We are interested in buying one, have yet to see one in person, everywhere near us in Jersey doesn't have one for us to view.

May i ask what problems so far you have with yours.

Thank you !

Hoadley 12-08-2016 05:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Alen (Post 3365157)
Can you please post some pictures of the slides in on your YT please.

We are interested in buying one, have yet to see one in person, everywhere near us in Jersey doesn't have one for us to view.

May i ask what problems so far you have with yours.

Thank you !

No problem Chief Alan. I have had a couple minor fixes (screen door wouldn't latch shut, toilet paper holder not installed, entry door was warped (they ordered a new door from Thor factory), one drawer falls off track when you pull on drawer). As you can see, nothing major on fixes. Here are a few pictures for your viewing and the link to the 37YT website.
https://thormotorcoach.com/challenger/floorplans/

TechNot 12-08-2016 08:19 PM

That's a great looking coach. Congratulations

Chief Alen 12-09-2016 04:29 AM

37 YT

Congrats on your purchase.

Thank you for your reply and pics.

We travel with 2 dogs, one is rather large, he likes to walk the coach, lay where he wills. We also leave the dinette table down and the cushions spread just as if a person were going to sleep there.

In the future when you have a chance please post a picture of the inside with the slides " in ".

We have been to many RV shows, one is coming up in Atlantic city, we will be there, a trade in might occur there if they have one we can view.

Use the coach in good health , and once again thank you for your reply !

daverubino 12-20-2016 06:37 AM

All Good

OK, right now everything is fixed and working. We're keeping our fingers crossed as we will be leaving freezing CT on Jan. 3rd to go full-time and head south. :dance: Has anyone had problems getting water in their heater? Ours would leak and the circuit board would sit in a puddle of water. The put in a "re-location kit" which moved the board up from where it was and put a different seal around the door. https://i68.tinypic.com/5e8fbd.jpg
It used to sit on the tray below with the white label. At least the board won't get wet. We'll have to see how the new seal works. :sad:

ctpres 12-21-2016 08:57 AM

Challenger 37KT GAWR

About to get four corner weigh and form asks for many things including GAWR. OK look at sticker.
Thor sticker GAWR front 8,000# GAWR rear 1,500#
Ford sticker GAWR front 8,000# GAWR rear 15,000#
Pretty sure Ford right. What do your stickers say?

logalinipoo 12-22-2016 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverubino (Post 3381096)
OK, right now everything is fixed and working. We're keeping our fingers crossed as we will be leaving freezing CT on Jan. 3rd to go full-time and head south. :dance: Has anyone had problems getting water in their heater? Ours would leak and the circuit board would sit in a puddle of water. The put in a "re-location kit" which moved the board up from where it was and put a different seal around the door. https://i68.tinypic.com/5e8fbd.jpg
It used to sit on the tray below with the white label. At least the board won't get wet. We'll have to see how the new seal works. :sad:

Yes I have the exact same problem. It's at camping world for a fix now. Ive had to pull it out and clean it with alcahol. I ended up silicon ing the door crack to fix it until they could get me in.

PattyP 12-22-2016 05:51 AM

We have a Thor Challenger 37KT 2015

Here is my question. Not happy with the sofa. Want to change it out for recliners. Or entertainment seating. Has anyone done this? We went to Lazy Days and Camping World and looked. It would cost about $1500.00 for set at Lazy Days that with an hour of labor for them to install it. We have 68inches to fit in that spot. It's on a slide out with no carpet. Any suggestions?

ctpres 12-22-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3383812)
Here is my question. Not happy with the sofa. Want to change it out for recliners. Or entertainment seating. Has anyone done this? We went to Lazy Days and Camping World and looked. It would cost about $1500.00 for set at Lazy Days that with an hour of labor for them to install it. We have 68inches to fit in that spot. It's on a slide out with no carpet. Any suggestions?

Think about seat height! Slide floor is about 4 inches high. Typical recliner seat is 20 inches. That makes seat 24 inches off floor. For most folks that leaves feet hanging in mid air. Not to mention difficulty getting in and out of recliner for older folks. Also need to keep space needed to recline at a minimum. Very few are truly zero clearance wall huggers. It is a tough project. Keep us posted on your search.

happycamperj 12-22-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

We also were not happy with the sofa in our 37gt. We got the 3 section recliner sofa and the console module. Installed it ourselves. We sold the sofa that came in the rig for $400; it took two of us a while to take it apart and get it out the door.

bethnpete 12-22-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3072097)
I'm not sure which mount you have but those levers should "unlock" the TV mount so you can lift or separate the TV from the mount.

I have searched for these mounts...where in the world are they?

logalinipoo 12-22-2016 10:40 PM

On our main living room tv, there are no levers. I had to pull the molding behind the tv and unscrew the pannel it's mounted on. Then I could get behind it to run cables. On the bedroom and kitchen tv. There are 2 small levers you reach from the bottom of the tv. Mine have little pull tabs hanging on them.

PattyP 12-23-2016 05:59 AM

Recliners versus sofa

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3383922)
Think about seat height! Slide floor is about 4 inches high. Typical recliner seat is 20 inches. That makes seat 24 inches off floor. For most folks that leaves feet hanging in mid air. Not to mention difficulty getting in and out of recliner for older folks. Also need to keep space needed to recline at a minimum. Very few are truly zero clearance wall huggers. It is a tough project. Keep us posted on your search.

My husband said that too about how high the recliners would sit and my feet would be dangling in the air. So what's your suggestion?

ctpres 12-23-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3385076)
My husband said that too about how high the recliners would sit and my feet would be dangling in the air. So what's your suggestion?

Lambright has several recline products with 18.5 seat height. Also possible to order Thor optional theater seating from any Challenger dealer. I hope to make decision on ours at Tampa RV show next month.

DannyHVAC 12-24-2016 01:24 AM

6 Month Review 2017 37kt

We are near 6 months and 10k miles of Full Time Travel in our 2017 37kt, so figured I'd share my feedback here! Long post.

-Love the 6-speed transmission. Traveled all through the Western US over mountains, towing a mini cooper, running generator most of the summer while driving, and still averaged about 7mpg. Engine is only loud going up and down hills... otherwise surprisingly quiet.

-Gas Fuel. In the beginning, I hated it. Experienced a lot of tight gas stations that almost always have big entry dips... which scrapes my drop hitch for our mini cooper. Now I know to look for wide open level stations whenever possible, and appreciate that there are still more options than diesel.

-Value vs. Cost. After speaking with tons of other Motorcoach owners, I truly believe that the Thor Challenger has almost all of the features of high end diesels for a much lower cost. We get complimented at almost every RV resort we stay at.

-Quality. I think we had a total of 15 or so "warranty" issues so far. Spent a few weeks at several service departments. I personally haven't met anyone that hasn't had issues, even on the higher priced motorcoaches. Annoying at times yes, but all of the fun we had so far greatly exceeds those issues.

Stock Features I Love: Residential Fridge, Awning LEDs, backup cam, drop down bed (for our 4-year old), Fireplace, Rear Gas tank, A TON of bay storage (full timing with all sorts of toys for our son and still couldn't fill it all), Dual sun/privacy shades, Bluetooth Speaker systems, Sliding Doors to section off living room, Propane and/or electric water heater, Mid-entry door, captains table, etc.

The parts I don't like: Dual Gray tanks-not a fan of the wye and extra pipe. AC condensate drain drips everywhere outside. Furnace heat works great in bed and bath, not so great in front room.

Add ons:
-Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer. Love it now, use it daily.
-Tireminder A1A TPMS. Love it, helped me find a slow leak in my tow car.
-PDQ One Source Cell/Wifi Booster. Cell booster is awesome, WifiBooster is only as good as the park service, which we all know how that is.
-Progressive Hard Wired Surge Protector. No power issues yet.
-Rand Mcnally RV Tablet 80. Best GPS ever, and I track my fuel with it.
-Amazon Fire TV. Inexpensive way to stream online content(netflix, hulu, etc) to all TVs in coach, and the remote works from other rooms.
-AT&T Hotspot. We now have a 25GB plan that doesn't charge for overage data. Between my career, pandora, and movies, we used 118GB this month already... and we won't pay any extra.

Overall- We are traveling the country in a vehicle that has almost everything a normal home has, and enjoying every minute of it!

Webman9113 12-24-2016 07:00 AM

Quote:

Patty -

I think that's something most Challenger owners seem to agree on: the sofa in the living room (ours was the pull-out bed version) is horrible, lol! We replaced ours with the recliners and center console available through Camping World (if you search their site for "beckham tan" you'll find it) and they are WONDERFUL. LyonsL also did this. Here is the link to the part of this board where we went over this particular mod:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...50811-168.html

The seat height was a concern going into it, but my wife - who stands 5'2" - has no problem and absolutely loves the recliners (although the height could obviously be a problem for someone with mobility issues). The "dangling feet" issue really isn't an issue, because as soon as you plop yourself into the chair you recline, right? :)

sbleiweiss 12-24-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3385076)

I have said this before, and if you really want recliners it won't solve your issue, but we improved the comfort level of the original couch a lot by taking out the cushions Thor had used and replacing them with various size pillows we bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Much fuller and less squishy.

PattyP 12-25-2016 04:45 AM

Thanks! I'm 5"6 and yes as soon as I plop down I recline. I'm only 55 yo so by the time I have mobility issues we probably won't be traveling anymore. The steps do get me when I have spent the day loading or unloading the RV with multiple trips doing those steps. Sometimes we park and the bottom step to the ground is a big step! But we love our KT. Love the bigger frig, but have to run the generator the whole time we are driving. Sometimes we go around a corner and generator shuts off. Bed is not comfortable and couch is not comfortable, but everything else is great! We have learned to get gas at Flying J, since gas tank is in the back, its the only station we fit in comfortably.

PattyP 12-25-2016 05:06 AM

Thanks! I'm 5"6 and yes as soon as I plop down I recline. I'm only 55 yo so by the time I have mobility issues we probably won't be traveling anymore. The steps do get me when I have spent the day loading or unloading the RV with multiple trips doing those steps. Sometimes we park and the bottom step to the ground is a big step! But we love our KT. Love the bigger frig, but have to run the generator the whole time we are driving. Sometimes we go around a corner and generator shuts off. Bed is not comfortable and couch is not comfortable, but everything else is great! We have learned to get gas at Flying J, since gas tank is in the back, its the only station we fit in comfortably.

IrihRed 12-25-2016 06:58 AM

Happy Holidays ALL! I mostly agree with DannyHVAC. We have a 2016 KT, FT since July and have gone Sea to Shining Sea, about 9k mi and 17 states. Our MPG is around 9 towing a Jeep but we only turn on the gen when we get close to stopping in hot weather. Getting service is always a problem it seems anywhere in the country, they are all busy and appts are at least a month out. So we had to plan ahead for one service well in advance. No drivability problems at all, very minor warr issues most of which I have handled with support from Thor by ph or email. Added Sumo Springs at about 4K mi and that was a great decision. So all in all it is a great bang for the buck, has most of the bells and whistles and has served us well thus far. We are Happy Challenger Glampers!