iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

sbleiweiss 12-25-2016 08:34 AM

DannyHVAC, why do you love the rear gas port? I hate it. Side port means needing to take up two gas pumps versus all three for rear port (or just pull up way farther where there are only one or two pumps). And since the rear port is still shifted to the left, it is hard to reach from the right side (not to mention much better visibility positioning from the driver's side. Having had both, I would take the side port any day. Interested to hear why you love it.

Webman9113 12-26-2016 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3387671)
Thanks! I'm 5"6 and yes as soon as I plop down I recline. I'm only 55 yo so by the time I have mobility issues we probably won't be traveling anymore. The steps do get me when I have spent the day loading or unloading the RV with multiple trips doing those steps. Sometimes we park and the bottom step to the ground is a big step! But we love our KT. Love the bigger frig, but have to run the generator the whole time we are driving. Sometimes we go around a corner and generator shuts off. Bed is not comfortable and couch is not comfortable, but everything else is great! We have learned to get gas at Flying J, since gas tank is in the back, its the only station we fit in comfortably.

In that case, the recliner conversion should work great for you. :-)

I'm curious about why you need to always run the generator while driving? We only have it on when we need the roof AC units running to keep it cool enough for the cats while we're on the road. The inverter has plenty of output to power the fridge without using the generator. I also have something to add about the gas station issue, will make that in a separate post...

Webman9113 12-26-2016 05:20 AM

BIG RIG FRIENDLY GAS STATIONS

I really only miss two things about our diesel: the extra power over the V10 and the ability to use the diesel pumps at truck stops. The size of our KT and the rear fill port have made finding gas stations - especially when towing our Jeep - a challenge. Since I like to do a lot of map recon, I put together a list of places I've either actually been to for gas or scouted out as stops during our trips as alternate locations that looked like they would accommodate big rigs like ours. I finally figured out how to convert the starred locations on my Google map to a shareable map, which you'll find at the link below. Note that this is obviously not a comprehensive list, and if you have locations that will take big rigs I'll be happy to add them and update the map. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LM...qI&usp=sharing

Enjoy!
Mike

PattyP 12-26-2016 05:54 AM

Generator to keep fridge running. We have a house full size fridge in our 2015 KT. Only way to keep it cold. We hate the gas tank in the back. Very few gas stations that we can fit in. We have been desperate for gas before and had a struggle with pulling car and can't back up and gas station is small and busy with cars. I get in panic mode each time my husband stops for gas or food. We have had to unhook car and back out before.

Webman9113 12-26-2016 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3388721)
Generator to keep fridge running. We have a house full size fridge in our 2015 KT. Only way to keep it cold. We hate the gas tank in the back. Very few gas stations that we can fit in. We have been desperate for gas before and had a struggle with pulling car and can't back up and gas station is small and busy with cars. I get in panic mode each time my husband stops for gas or food. We have had to unhook car and back out before.

Odd. We have a full size fridge in our KT, as well - if yours isn't keeping cold with the inverter (without generator running) I'd have that checked out if you haven't already.

As for gas stations, I know what you mean! I hope you find the link to the map with gas stations in the previous post useful. I always map out places to gas up for our trips before we go, including alternative fuel stops. I look for easy-in/easy-out locations with enough height and length to accommodate our rig + Jeep. Haven't run into any sticky situations so far... :)

TechNot 12-26-2016 07:17 AM

Thanks for the gas station map, that will very useful. On my Rand McNally, I've noticed that the 4 and 5 star rated gas stations are the ones I can fit in while towing my car.

Webman9113 12-26-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techn0 (Post 3388773)
Thanks for the gas station map, that will very useful. On my Rand McNally, I've noticed that the 4 and 5 star rated gas stations are the ones I can fit in while towing my car.

Interesting! I'll have to look at those. I've never used mine to find gas stations, lol!

DannyHVAC 12-26-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3387888)
DannyHVAC, why do you love the rear gas port? I hate it. Side port means needing to take up two gas pumps versus all three for rear port (or just pull up way farther where there are only one or two pumps). And since the rear port is still shifted to the left, it is hard to reach from the right side (not to mention much better visibility positioning from the driver's side. Having had both, I would take the side port any day. Interested to hear why you love it.

Good point sbleiweiss.

I liked the rear gas port because it gives me extra space to get closer to the pump, especially if I came in at an angle (since I can't back up when towing). But after reading your post... I realized I wouldn't need to get closer if it was a side port. You've convinced me.

PattyP 12-27-2016 06:34 AM

What year is your KT? We have a 2015. We have taken ours to Camping a World in Tampa about fridge and they said we have to run the generator for fridge.

sbleiweiss 12-27-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3388731)
Odd. We have a full size fridge in our KT, as well - if yours isn't keeping cold with the inverter (without generator running) I'd have that checked out if you haven't already.

As for gas stations, I know what you mean! I hope you find the link to the map with gas stations in the previous post useful. I always map out places to gas up for our trips before we go, including alternative fuel stops. I look for easy-in/easy-out locations with enough height and length to accommodate our rig + Jeep. Haven't run into any sticky situations so far... :)

We have almost the same rig as you and our full size residential fridge runs fine on the inverter. X2 on getting that checked out. Do you have the inverter (special one for the fridge) turned on at its switch in the stairwell?

We agree with you about the gassing. That is why we don't tow a car.

rvbunz 12-27-2016 08:23 AM

While traveling, I always use my Rand McNally GPS to find Pilot or Flying J to fill up. If it's Pilot I call ahead to see if they can service gas rigs. If neither are found I search for gas stations and again call ahead to se if I can fit at the gas pumps. It's worked pretty well for me so far in 13 years of traveling.

Webman9113 12-28-2016 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3389953)
What year is your KT? We have a 2015. We have taken ours to Camping a World in Tampa about fridge and they said we have to run the generator for fridge.

Ours is a 2014.5 KT with a residential fridge, and it runs off the inverter when we're not on shore power or running the generator (which we only turn on for AC). As sbleiweiss noted, make sure the inverter has been switched on at the panel in the stairwell. I also take what the guys at the RV places say (particularly CWs) with a grain of salt: I'd call the Thor tech support line and ask them directly. I have a very hard time believing that the coach was designed so the fridge had to be run off the generator and not the inverter. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'd be really surprised. We've had three coaches from three manufacturers (Winnebago, Fleetwood, and Thor) with residential refrigerators, and they were all designed to work from the inverter while on the move.

Webman9113 12-28-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyHVAC (Post 3389786)
Good point sbleiweiss.

I liked the rear gas port because it gives me extra space to get closer to the pump, especially if I came in at an angle (since I can't back up when towing). But after reading your post... I realized I wouldn't need to get closer if it was a side port. You've convinced me.

Yes, it's a pain in the backside, if you'll pardon the pun! :D But in 14,000 miles of driving (so far), by scouting ahead on Google Maps I've only once run into a situation where I had to unhitch the Jeep to get out of a gas station. Well, technically I was able to get out of the station, but the exit angle onto the two lane road was such that I couldn't complete the left turn (the far side had a steep curb). So I blocked both directions of traffic for a bit, but that helped me earn the "fastest toad disconnect" award for the year!

sbleiweiss 12-28-2016 07:26 AM

Quote:

Not sure who you are addressing this question to, but ours is a 2014.5.

ctpres 12-28-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Our early 2015 frig runs on inverter - look in second bay from front on street side for Zantrex 1800 box with big wires in and out. Also look at switch area in stairwell for 2x3 panel that says zantrex with green button. If yes let us know and we can help you turn it on. Look in pack of manuals for instructions.

Troutkiller 12-28-2016 08:32 AM

Leaving in a few hours to drive 400 miles to pick up our new '17 37YT :thumb:

Information (inc. punch lists) gathered here has really eased my mind that we made a great selection and are ready to go through the delivery process.
Thanks for all the insight and modification ideas.

D2

ctpres 12-28-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutkiller (Post 3391442)
Leaving in a few hours to drive 400 miles to pick up our new '17 37YT :thumb:

Information (inc. punch lists) gathered here has really eased my mind that we made a great selection and are ready to go through the delivery process.
Thanks for all the insight and modification ideas.

D2

Don't be rushed with PDI - no matter what. PDI is your time and should not be included with dealers show-&-tell or system demos. Look hard at fit and finish everywhere. Open every drawer and door fully several times. Turn everything on off, operate slides, overhead bunk, awnings, raise lower manual and electric sun shades, privacy shades, OTA antenna (13 turns for full up and full down). Use Rapid camp for all functions.Check for all remotes - at a minimum 4 TV,1 fireplace, 1 dash radio, 1 DVD, 1 Rapid Camp. Amazing how fast things get done BEFORE you accept you new baby.

Capone 12-28-2016 02:08 PM

There is also a fantastic App for your phone called "Truck and RV Fuel Stations". It knows your location and shows all the Truck and RV Gas Stations, ie Flying J, Pilot, etc. on your route. You can filter for only the ones you want. It will tell how far they are and gives a description if they have RV Lanes, food etc. We use this all the time, very easy and convenient.
We have a 2016 Challenger 37LX with the port in the back so we prefer Flying J's

stevemiller2 12-28-2016 11:10 PM

Refrigerator runs on inverter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3388721)

If you look under the sink in kitchen you will find a j box and a plug in box. The plug in box is inverter power 115 volts. Go to J box and find frig wire and take the wire out and put a plug end on the wire and plug it in. Now the Frig will run on inverter.I had the same problem and got told I was Nuts by people. So I got a schematic and figured it out

Sanford 12-30-2016 07:25 PM

Capone, couldn't find the app. Can you provide additional information?

Capone 12-31-2016 11:55 AM

Maybe the App is just for iPhone, not sure. There should be something similar for other phones. Good luck, I hope you find it.

ctpres 12-31-2016 04:09 PM

Challenger upgrade

Stiches on my back and can't do much. Killing time looking at new DP floor plans and features. I hate to say this but there are not really any DP's around that justify serious consideration. Our gas KT still looks really good. Only problem we have is cargo and tow limitations. Stopped looking around $350K MSRP. If your just dreaming what do you like?

IrihRed 01-01-2017 05:41 AM

Took a quick look at the new Thor Aria, interesting, but still doesn't have the separation that the KT has. Live in the floorplan much more than we drive it, so we will stick with our beloved KT for now!

sbleiweiss 01-01-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3396384)
Stiches on my back and can't do much. Killing time looking at new DP floor plans and features. I hate to say this but there are not really any DP's around that justify serious consideration. Our gas KT still looks really good. Only problem we have is cargo and tow limitations. Stopped looking around $350K MSRP. If your just dreaming what do you like?

The KT floorplan is hard to beat. But if just dreaming I bet I could make do with a Prevost.

PattyP 01-01-2017 11:58 AM

I love our KT. If I could dream a change or two, would make a bit more room to walk around the king size bed, oven in kitchen, shower bigger, dining table is in awkward place. Bathroom door hits table when it's open. Those living room slider doors make noise when we drive. Couch not comfortable. Wish it would have come with theater seating. But the KT has so many positive things!! We looked at so many RV's when we were shopping and this is our 3rd RV. This one had the best floor plan for us and our 3 dogs.

ctpres 01-01-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3397307)
Those living room slider doors make noise when we drive.

Remove door guide at bottom of door - add felt pads to surface that touches door and done.

IrihRed 01-02-2017 07:00 AM

We changed out the KT table for an IKEA butcher block counter top on adjustable legs. Serves as a great place to eat looking out the big picture window, additional kitchen counter space, and office work space. Fits our lifestyle in the KT much better.

sbleiweiss 01-02-2017 07:33 AM

Easy options to add oven and improve couch. Here here on bigger shower. I also would put gas port back on driver's side. But its the floorplan, floorplan, floorplan.

ctpres 01-02-2017 11:09 AM

More mods fixes and upgrades

#9​3
​Can't believe I have been so busy this past year that I h​ave not done any mods.
Search for suitable recliners or theater seating that works on 4 inch high slide floor and is not so expensive has been fruitless. I gave up until this morning. Why not turn existing couch into a recliner? Five minutes later I was almost there. Look behind top edge and there are large plastic stops held in place by long bolts screwed into the arms. Remove them and back tilts back about five more inches and stops on wood shelf frame. Rolled up a blanket and put it between bottom edge of cushions and back rest if needed​ for more lower back support. ​Can't see blanket and each side can be adjusted to suit. Need more tilt? Open bed platform and remove screws securing L brackets to floor and slide couch out till desired angle is achieved. Screws back in - in that position.​ So far we are happy without moving the whole couch. Yes both sides are the same - but the price is right. ​Next step a couple footstools about 16 inches high.

Troutkiller 01-02-2017 03:58 PM

We took delivery on our '17 37YT Thursday the 29th :dance::dance::dance:

By plan, we camped next 3 days just about 12 miles from the dealership to go through the unit and learn what makes her tick.

Then drove her 400 miles to home base.

Few notes:
1. Dealer put WAY too much air in the tires. The TPSM started ringing just 20 miles into the trip and showed > 120 lbs on all 6. I had to stop and bleed out 20 lbs on each tire.
2. Coach rides a lot nicer at 100 lbs pressure than 120
3. Really like the bath in this unit. Two of us could dress in there side-by-side with room to spare if we had to.
4. Really glad I had them install the Winegard Travler. Cable at the park went out just after kickoff of the OSU game.
5. Wish I had more kitchen cabinet storage but there's so much other storage that it outweighs the shortage in the galley.
6. Not a fan of the in-dash radio thing at the moment but I guess I'll figure it out. The screen is too small for my taste and its hardly visible when driving. Too far too reach as well IMO.
7. Undercarriage storage out the wazoooooooo! Yes!
8. Love the fact that it doesnt have one sq foot of carpet. 100% that new tile product.
9. Cruised easy at 65 mph and on level ground avg'd 7.1 mpg. First 100 miles had more hills and I didn't check it but based on RPM I'm gonna guess more like 6 mpg at 60-62 mph
10. Lots of natural light in every spot in the coach and plenty of extra light fixtures throughout so that reading is easy from anywhere.

Lots of other interesting things like the string lights under the awning that really put out more light than you might expect. Everything functioned properly and we tested out everything. Three TV's and we watched DVD on one, Satellite on other and local HD on a 3rd. Outside stereo speakers will play radio while watching TV in "silent" mode or you can play the TV sound in stereo over those same speakers.

Did I mention the undercarriage storage?!? Wowza.

DamonDude 01-11-2017 04:17 PM

Opening Recessed Lights

I have a 2009 Challenger and two of the ceiling lights are out. These are the round flush lights with the frosted lenses. How do you open them to check the bulbs? Does the lens twist off, pry off or pull down? I don't want to pull the fixture out of the ceiling by doing the wrong thing so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Beau388 01-11-2017 05:17 PM

They twist clockwise (CW) to remove and CCW to install. The flush fixture has there aluminum tabs that fit into the lens. Careful the tabs are easily bent. Mine have five LEDs on a circuit board that is part of the fixture.

sbleiweiss 01-12-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau388 (Post 3412855)
They twist clockwise (CW) to remove and CCW to install. The flush fixture has there aluminum tabs that fit into the lens. Careful the tabs are easily bent. Mine have five LEDs on a circuit board that is part of the fixture.

On ours they pull straight down. Don't know about yours.

Hoadley 01-13-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutkiller (Post 3399156)
We took delivery on our '17 37YT Thursday the 29th :dance::dance::dance:

By plan, we camped next 3 days just about 12 miles from the dealership to go through the unit and learn what makes her tick.

Then drove her 400 miles to home base.

Few notes:
1. Dealer put WAY too much air in the tires. The TPSM started ringing just 20 miles into the trip and showed > 120 lbs on all 6. I had to stop and bleed out 20 lbs on each tire.
2. Coach rides a lot nicer at 100 lbs pressure than 120
3. Really like the bath in this unit. Two of us could dress in there side-by-side with room to spare if we had to.
4. Really glad I had them install the Winegard Travler. Cable at the park went out just after kickoff of the OSU game.
5. Wish I had more kitchen cabinet storage but there's so much other storage that it outweighs the shortage in the galley.
6. Not a fan of the in-dash radio thing at the moment but I guess I'll figure it out. The screen is too small for my taste and its hardly visible when driving. Too far too reach as well IMO.
7. Undercarriage storage out the wazoooooooo! Yes!
8. Love the fact that it doesnt have one sq foot of carpet. 100% that new tile product.
9. Cruised easy at 65 mph and on level ground avg'd 7.1 mpg. First 100 miles had more hills and I didn't check it but based on RPM I'm gonna guess more like 6 mpg at 60-62 mph
10. Lots of natural light in every spot in the coach and plenty of extra light fixtures throughout so that reading is easy from anywhere.

Lots of other interesting things like the string lights under the awning that really put out more light than you might expect. Everything functioned properly and we tested out everything. Three TV's and we watched DVD on one, Satellite on other and local HD on a 3rd. Outside stereo speakers will play radio while watching TV in "silent" mode or you can play the TV sound in stereo over those same speakers.

Did I mention the undercarriage storage?!? Wowza.

Congrats TroutKiller. I bought the same RV in November and I love it. We drove from San Diego to Houston and back over New Year. Everything worked great. Have a couple water leaks around the slide outs that need to be fixed. Nothing major. How did you get the outside speakers to play TV in surround?

ctpres 01-14-2017 11:44 AM

Tampa rv show

Anyone planning to attend? We are - but date not set so we can go any day. Could meetup at Thor #220. Near entrance gate #1. There should be a Challenger there. We could call it the first official Challenger Owners Club meeting.

Webman9113 01-15-2017 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3416179)
Anyone planning to attend? We are - but date not set so we can go any day. Could meetup at Thor #220. Near entrance gate #1. There should be a Challenger there. We could call it the first official Challenger Owners Club meeting.

We're planning to go on Friday, between moving out of the house and into an apartment, lol!

PattyP 01-15-2017 09:57 AM

We are going WEDNESDAY afternoon to Tampa RV show.

ctpres 01-16-2017 07:04 AM

OK Challenger Owners - Wed. 1 PM is it for us - Thor display #220. Meet at Challenger if there is one. You will recognize me by white beard and western hat with crock teeth on the brim. Chuck and Suzie Turner.

LyonsL 01-16-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3418597)
OK Challenger Owners - Wed. 1 PM is it for us - Thor display #220. Meet at Challenger if there is one. You will recognize me by white beard and western hat with crock teeth on the brim. Chuck and Suzie Turner.

We will also be there Wednesday afternoon. We will try for the 1:00 pm meet but not sure if we can make that time slot. We're meeting a large group for lunch and that time has not been set yet. We'll do our best to be there!

daverubino 01-16-2017 09:43 AM

We will be there Wednesday through Friday camping on site (dry). I thought Wednesday was just for vendors? :confused:

PattyP 01-17-2017 05:06 AM

We will try for 1:00 on Wednesday too. My husband also has white hair and white beard. Patty and Ron Potter

ctpres 01-17-2017 06:57 AM

Looking fwd to meeting everybody. Weather: 77 degrees, partly sunny, light winds, no rain expected and humid. Should be a GREAT day.

daverubino 01-17-2017 04:53 PM

Ok, we're here. See you all tomorrow. Yellow Boston Bruins cap.

daverubino 01-17-2017 07:26 PM

Actually, they had all the Challenger models last year. We bought ours here last. They pretty much have every make and model here. Time to shop for recliners, Sumo springs and a better battery bank.

IrihRed 01-18-2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverubino (Post 3421104)
Actually, they had all the Challenger models last year. We bought ours here last. They pretty much have every make and model here. Time to shop for recliners, Sumo springs and a better battery bank.

We also bought our KT at the show last year, added Sumo Springs in NM, upgraded to 4 house batteries. The Whirlpool fridge draws very little power with ice maker off and not opening the doors too much when dry camping and we go 48+ hours before AGS goes on. Just left Malibu Beach heading to Palm Springs for a month.

PattyP 01-18-2017 08:17 AM

We want to replace sofa for recliners also. Will they have those to buy at the show?

PattyP 01-18-2017 10:47 AM

We are here looking for you. Sitting at a table under an umbrella by the Challengers. My hubby has a black baseball cap on grumpy on it. I'm wearing a purple tee shirt.

PattyP 01-19-2017 05:43 AM

It was very nice getting to meet people from the group and sharing problems and solutions!

PattyP 01-19-2017 05:44 AM

Hope everyone enjoyed the show.

ctpres 01-19-2017 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
#9​4
How to get a much closer estimate of how much fresh water is in tank. Bought a hose end water meter for under $20. Drained tank which BTW will not completely empty, can get it a bit more empty by using pump. Then simply filled and recorded results with a Sharpie on side of tank. Another way to do this would be in reverse. Fill tank and drain into a five gallon bucket recording results for every bucket. Assume 100 full and subtract for every bucket. Note difference between five gallon levels. Tank has three different sections with widest at top. Sorry for sideways pic but that was only way to get it all in.

sbleiweiss 01-20-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3423318)
#9​4
Drained tank which BTW will not completely empty, can get it a bit more empty by using pump. .

I want to talk about this issue. Why won't the tank empty with the drain attached to the bottom of tank? Is there some easy fix? Is there another way to get it empty? I haven't found one. It would be much easier to keep sanitary if you could empty tank between uses, let it dry, then fill again when needed.

Sanford 01-20-2017 07:56 AM

Use the lifts on the opposite side of the drain to tilt the RV. Worked well for me.

daverubino 01-21-2017 05:55 AM

Good idea!

sbleiweiss 01-21-2017 07:49 AM

Good solution. I should have thought of that. Still seems like there should be a better design though.

ctpres 01-21-2017 12:20 PM

Be careful tilting Challenger on it's side. Thor very specific about leveling front to back first and tweaking to finish side to side. Reason - excessive leveling side to side can cause windshield problems. In our KT the fresh water tank the pump port is closer to bottom so raising front with just slight left tilt so do.

Thor 37GT 01-23-2017 08:57 AM

37GT For Sale

I just posted my Thor Challenger 37GT for sale in the classifieds. Please get ahold of me if interested. Lots of extras. Thanks for having me on this blog I have posted several times and had great responses.

Sanford 01-23-2017 02:30 PM

Exterior TV door

Does anyone have a solution to lowering the exterior TV door?

Sanford
2016 KT 37

ctpres 01-23-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanford (Post 3428719)
Does anyone have a solution to lowering the exterior TV door?

Sanford
2016 KT 37

On my list of things to do. So far my best solution is shorter struts. Good idea as it will provide more shade for screen for better viewing and more importantly it will keep unexpected rain draining AWAY from TV instead to it. Also if not tall enough it will be easier to reach for closing. Not sure why so many mfg's do the same thing.

Sanford 01-23-2017 05:23 PM

My thoughts exactly. Thanks

Sanford

ctpres 01-25-2017 07:31 AM

Challenger Owners Club

1 Attachment(s)
Tampa RV show and the first gathering of Challenger owners. Amazing how much we all learned in a short time. Maybe this summer we can do it again. Sorry for pic on side. Original not that way.

ctpres 01-25-2017 08:38 AM

What A Mess

1 Attachment(s)
Ever wonder "what is behind that"? I had to remove the wet bay panel to get a better idea what was going on back there. Couple mods on my mind and needed to see what was really back there. Two fittings were not leaking but showing signs of leaking in the past. Probably when I got lazy and didn't use the pressure regulator. They both were a bit loose. I just checked them all and at least four were easy to tighten by hand

ctpres 01-25-2017 09:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
#9​5 Both dump valves operated by braille. Installed two Valterra T1046-10VP Adjustable Extension Rod Ki​ts. $13.51 ea Amazon prime. Gray valve easiest so I did it first​. Hold rod as close to handle as possible and unscrew. I tried cloth to keep from marring shaft but ended up metal on metal and handle was easy to unscrew. If shaft is marred - clean it up as rough edges will damage shaft seal at gate valve housing and it might leak. Recommend reusing both old handles as they at color coded black and gray. Push valve fully closed and mount coupling shaft on threads with some space between end of coupling and housing. If gap can not be felt in the future the valve may not be seating fully. I cut extension shaft long enough to have some space between handle and panel. Both of my extended rods ended up below the panel and I felt they needed some support. Cut thick plastic and screwed to back side. Black valve was a challenge due to handle being very close to panel. When I tried to open valve the coupling would hit backside of the new mounting bracket and was difficult to line up with the larger hole - also the screw was a problem. I reamed out the inside of a scrap PVC pipe with a paddle bit so the coupling would fit inside. Drilled hole in pipe for screw. Used Dremel to make a flat spot on shaft for mounting screw. When everything good and tight cut off screw head and ground down smooth with surface of PVC. If you are in the "leave gray open camp" the door will close with the valve open. If you have tools to modify coupling it can be cut short and eliminate extra work. I seem to be having a bad pic day. Both original pics were right side up!

Sanford 01-25-2017 05:58 PM

Spoke with an RV parts company today re the struts. They contacted Thor who told them that the struts on the unit was the shortest ones made by Master-Lift. She suggested buying local. Make sure they are at least 20 lbs pressure.

ctpres 01-26-2017 05:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
#9​6 If your Challenger has the vertical pleated shades on front side windows - this mod is for you! As it is curtain fastens at front with Velcro. To open or close them can be a body bending experience. Solution - fasten back end instead! Then when parked you unhook curtain and slide it forward leaving room to open window and not have any of the precious airflow blocked. This can be done at least two ways. Double stick Velcro which is probably the easiest to install or button snaps. I opted for the button snaps: I could use the existing screw holes and I thought the snaps would hold better on the highway with the windows open. Snap kits (chrome or brass finish) come with installation tools. Just be sure the kit has male studs with hole in center for screw mounting on wall. Rail held to valance with brackets - remove rear bracket screws and loosen middle enough to drop rear end of rail below valance. Now curtain rollers will come off the back end. Be careful as over time the wire frame that holds the rollers will spread and the rollers will fall out. Just put them back in place and use pliers to SLIGHTLY compress the wire frame. The snaps I had were not thick enough to securely fit over four layers of fabric - so I just removed some fabric. Follow instruction with kit and done. Not sure why but irv2 is rotating all pictures I posted lately - sorry

ctpres 01-27-2017 07:37 AM

Once More

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this will work

marcdohc 01-28-2017 02:53 PM

Are you serious?

Hello, I just purchased Sirius satellite radio for my 2016 KT. Has anybody installed or had this installed? My question is where would I mount the small wired antenna? Will it work just sitting on my dashboard? Will the reception be good enough? Let me know your thoughts, thank you

bdickson 01-28-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdohc (Post 3435742)
Hello, I just purchased Sirius satellite radio for my 2016 KT. Has anybody installed or had this installed? My question is where would I mount the small wired antenna? Will it work just sitting on my dashboard? Will the reception be good enough? Let me know your thoughts, thank you

I tried with the antenna on the dash. It worked maybe 50% of the time. Like a satellite TV antenna, it has to have a clear view of the southern sky. I eventually bought a Sirius marine antenna, routed the cable up the windshield pillar and mounted it on the front of the roof. Works all the time now.

marcdohc 01-28-2017 06:20 PM

thanks for the reply, Did you drill a hole through the side of the Rv?

IrihRed 01-29-2017 08:56 AM

We just have it loose on over the lip in the front right windshield area and it works fine about 98% of the time. We seem to only use when driving.

sbleiweiss 01-29-2017 08:59 AM

DW has it on the dash. She aims it occassionally but it seems to work reasonably; more than the 50% already cited. We drive more east-west than north, so I suppose that plays a role. Heading north may be a problem.

ctpres 01-29-2017 10:58 AM

#9​7 Roller shade repair. We had a small accident (don't ask) and kitchen shade had smoke damage to bottom three inches. Carefully pull shade to almost full out. Pull off left end cap and partially slide tube off bottom of shade. Make drawing or take picture of how end of shade is positioned inside tube. Remove tube, staples holding plastic strip and finally the green plastic strip - it has sticky side. Make several marks just above damaged area equal distance from bottom. Position plastic strip along marks - sticky side on fabric and staple. Cut off damaged area using plastic strip as a cutting guide. Slide tube back over cut end with same fold in fabric as original. Adjust clear end roller to set new stop point for auto roll up. Irving Shade & Door has four videos - search youtube for"slow rise roller shade." I did above without removing shade from valance - just worked on kitchen counter

ctpres 01-30-2017 11:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
#9​8 Project - convert kitchen counter light to LED. Two 8W fluorescent bulbs generate enough heat to discolor lens reducing light output. I opted for two 6 watt led fixtures ( 17cm LED COB DRL Daytime Running Light waterproof DC12v 6W from Ebay) under $3.00 for two. Night light was also generating to much heat so I replaced it at the same time.
Remove lens by pinching sides and bulbs by turning 1/4 turn to access mounting screws. Remove end cap on ballast end (opposite switch) and cut red and black wires near ballast. I left enough wire to reconnect ballast if needed. Drill holes at corners and push red and black wires into housing and connect to new lights red to red and black to black. Mount lights with provided double stick tape. I hot glued wire caps to bottom of housing. Picture of lens included to show damage.

Quackersack 01-31-2017 01:52 PM

Just purchased a Thor Challenger 36TL cant wait to get out with it. Going to have a toad chevy spark

Nanaimo 01-31-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capone (Post 3396075)
Maybe the App is just for iPhone, not sure. There should be something similar for other phones. Good luck, I hope you find it.

I see a few of them, which one did you get?

Nanaimo 01-31-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happycamperj (Post 3384663)
We also were not happy with the sofa in our 37gt. We got the 3 section recliner sofa and the console module. Installed it ourselves. We sold the sofa that came in the rig for $400; it took two of us a while to take it apart and get it out the door.

Could you post a picture pls. I am thinking about doing the same

ctpres 02-05-2017 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
#99 Dark Shower. Showering, shaving and wiping walls at night not so good. This mod is not an easy one and can be VERY messy. First decision is will shower light be independently switched or do you want it on with main light switch? Installation steps basically the same. Just get power from vanity lights or vent fan. I picked vanity light. Start by removing right sink light fixture. Turn glass cover counterclockwise and it will pull down and out. Remove three screws and fixture will come out. Ours was a very tight fit and needed a putty knife to pry it out. Next remove skylight interior liner. Probably will need three hands to hold liner for the last few screws - it is very flimsy. Next step very important - use a straight piece of stiff wire, like a coat hanger, and push it thru foam insulation all the way to power source. It may be necessary to remove more foam from light fixture recess so you can see the wire. Bend hook on wire end, attach power wires to hook and pull into shower. If not able to pull wire you will need to enlarge hole by pushing a pointed dowel rod in place of wire. Now decide on light location. Important be sure you will have room for drill and hole saw. ie. do not place close to center line of shower enclosure. Also see where a'cond duct is. in our KT the duct runs between linen cabinet and shower wall so that side is not possible. I had originally planned on two lights till I figured out the duct was on one side. Once light location firmed up mark circle for hole and carefully cut fabric headliner with a razor blade. Do no attempt to use hole saw to cut fabric. Once fabric removed finish hole with hole saw. Same procedure for wire from skylight to new hole. Cleaning up all the Styrofoam will take longer than the work itself. Day two after project and still using dust buster to pick up small foam beads. Light source was recreatiopro store on Ebay "3.2 LED 240 LUMEN RECESSED INTERIOR CEILING LIGHT" $8.75 ea with free shipping and no sales tax. Note Styrofoam balls clinging to glass shower wall.

ctpres 02-05-2017 11:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
#​100​ Project: Replace sleeper sofa with double recliners. After a LOT of research, price checking and reading recliner projects posted by so many others, I decided on the "RecPro Charles 67" Double RV Zero Wall Hugger Recliner Sofa w/ Console." Available from their website (recpro.com), Amazon and Ebay. Lucked out and got mine for $723.25 no tax and free ship. Should be here in a couple days. I will supply all specs and more installation info as project progresses. To remove couch - open bed platform - ends of seat base have removable Velcro covers - with them off you will see four L brackets two at each end - remove screws securing them to floor and couch can be removed. No protective feet on bottom of couch and lots of staples - do not drag or slide couch across floor to prevent damage to floor. Remove TV enclosure bottom end panels to access screws into wall and floor (recliner.1). Note: some have kept TV enclosure - I just wanted as little slide floor extension as possible. Thinking that is if a real heavyweight sits on front edge of couch - something might happen due to leverage. If wires go thru center of enclosure opening make thin cut at bottom center cross piece so ends of cut can be spread allowing various wires to be removed (recline.2). CAREFULLY use razor blade to cut caulk around at joint of shelf and wall. Remove TV enclosure. I removed seat belts for cleaner work area and may not reinstall them - to be decided. Note (recline.3) TV outlet hanging loose. I drilled holes in flanges on the ends and secured sideways to wall. Flanges are on the ends and just wide enough for screw holes. Four long screws were sticking out of TV enclosure -cut off and smoothed ends. I was able to remove most of the top to wall caulk with a single edge razor blade VERY carefully with blade almost flat against wall. Removed enclosure ends and top - screws only no glue used. In (recline.4) you can see gray coax jumper and very long HDMI jumper. I will remove the gray jumper as main coax is more than long enough. Might use shorter HDMI if I can find one. Signal quality is degraded in HDMI and coax with longer runs and extra connections. Probably never notice any picture difference but I will feel better. I plan to use original enclosure front to cover back of TV, hide the wireing mess and put a couple 110 outlets on top. Really don't like 110 wires hanging in front of the window so that problem will get solved. So now I just wait for the new couch to arrive.

sbleiweiss 02-06-2017 06:17 AM

Chuck: Why the hooks on the inside of your shower enclosure?

ctpres 02-06-2017 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3448026)

Good catch! The white one is Command hook for hanging squeegee. Hook in corner - there is also one in opposite corner. A wind proof cloths line goes between them. Allows us to put wet stuff on hangers and hangers stay where placed and do not slide to middle, also keeps them in place as we as we drive. Color choices not that great - but it works.

ctpres 02-06-2017 09:36 AM

Re #99 Dark Shower. Very important forgot to mention - I removed springs. Springs would make future removal nearly impossible.

ctpres 02-06-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3448026)

I missed one. Left top corner the black thing is a large S hook hooked over the top and hanging on the outside - about three inches long. Used for hanging towels. Just move or remove as needed.

PattyP 02-07-2017 05:34 AM

Post pics and let us know if recliners are comfortable. Someone we talked to at THe RV show said he installed boards under recliners, are you doing that too? I don't remember why though. Maybe height difference in recliners versus sofa.

ctpres 02-07-2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3449660)
Post pics and let us know if recliners are comfortable. Someone we talked to at THe RV show said he installed boards under recliners, are you doing that too? I don't remember why though. Maybe height difference in recliners versus sofa.

Front and sides of original couch do not touch floor and just hang down to cover the end of the slide. Most all replacements front feet will not fit on slide platform so the they need some sort of floor extension for support. This type of project always generates more questions so I will have tons of info and pics. Just got FedEx email - three boxes on truck for delivery TODAY!

sbleiweiss 02-08-2017 07:05 AM

Plastic Cover for Clearance Lights

Our Challenger has five small lights on the upper front cap. I think they are called clearance lights. Three are upper center and one each is at the upper corners. We have lost the orange plastic lens cover for the corner one over the drivers side. Has anyone replaced one of these covers? Source?

Thor gave me a part number, but said they only come as an entire new light fixture. I would prefer just to replace the plastic cover.

ctpres 02-08-2017 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
#100 Continued: Removed couch - highly recommend not taking bed off at hinge. OK to remove backrest to reduce weight - it is hinged with pin and lock rings - very easy to remove. In my, case nuts inside seat assembly and arms were lose. Nuts rattling around in side arms so reassembly means cutting fabric making reassembly very difficult. Just turn couch upside down, remove front panel and side arms for easy fit thru door. I did remove the gray coax extension and replaced ten foot HDMI cable with two footer. I also cut off the remaining screws and smoothed edges. Good chance hands could be cut when retrieving items from behind couch. Also less chance of damaging items stored there. ​Dremel with cutoff wheel made it easy and relatively mess free.​
Recliners arrived!. Three boxes totaling almost two hundred pounds 33, 83 and 83. Two larger boxes will not fit thru door. If installing in a KT or other model that has door stopped at 90 degrees, you will need to put slide in and remove door strut to open door enough to get the seat bases inside. At 77 I was able to get seat bases in by myself. A helper would be nice. No instructions but none really needed. Backs slip into receivers on base and clip locks them in place. The console back screws to base. Based on previous comments I bent the clips out so backs can be removed to access everything behind. The three pieces connect with posts and keyhole connectors. My power wires fit under rear base crosspiece with no problem. AV wire bundle much fatter but the plastic wire sleeve can be easily cut away and wires spread to fit under crosspiece. With TV enclosure and window side valances removed recline angle is good for TV viewing. If happy at this point you could just screw rails to floor without any extension. They fit on slide and chairs actually leave more walking space then the couch did! We did a TV night of testing chairs just sitting on slide floor and it was OK. Full recline only requires a small slide floor extension. Today I will finish that part

ctpres 02-09-2017 04:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
#​100​ Continued: Replace sleeper sofa with double recliners. Decided to add length to floor by screwing a 2x3 to the front edge of slide with 6 1/4 x 4 lag bolts. This method does not add any height to seat. Selected 2x3 to allow room for rubber seal to bend during slide operation. Drilled 3/4 inch recess holes for lag bolt head and washer then finished bolt hole thru 2x3 with 1/4" drill. A trim board will be added later to cover front of the 2x3. Removed staples from vinyl flooring were it was folded down in front and used it to hide/cover the top of my 2x3. Some of the staples securing rubber seal needed to touched up with a hammer to get a smooth surface for 2x3. Aligned board with top of slide floor and used C clamps on the ends to hold while drilling into front of slide floor. Not sure what size drill but it was next size smaller than 1/4" that I used to drill thru both sides of the steel tube. I tested bolt install in first hole to be sure size was right. ​With chair feet on front edge of 2x3 chairs recline almost fully before touching back of TV housing. After two nights of TV viewing we decided this was a good place to stop recline. Any more recline and you would need a pillow to behind head to see TV.​ I added some scrap carpet to TV housing at chair contact point to protect chair fabric. I added a six outlet power strip to top of TV housing and centered it behind console. ​One pic shows installed 2x3 and hopefully the one showing feet answers questions about why chair height is important​ to some. Five foot four DW is sitting in chair and her feet are about four inches off floor. We have not had any problems with this. The other pic show chairs in recline with backs stopped at TV housing. My biggest problem so far has been getting chairs locked into fittings on console. Pins drop into notch and slide back in slot to lock. Not sure why but I still can't get this part right. Temp secured chairs to floor with a couple screws while I wait for more project material to be delivered. To be continued

bdickson 02-09-2017 01:32 PM

I'm looking for anyone with a Challenger 37GT with a factory installed residential refrigerator. I believe the change from the Dometic 4 door was made in 2014. Could someone with a residential fridge please give me the dimensions of the opening and also the make/model of the refrigerator. My Dometic is showing signs of age and I'm trying to figure if there is a residential that would fit the opening, or did Thor change the cabinetry?

tedgard01 02-09-2017 08:59 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 3453173)
I'm looking for anyone with a Challenger 37GT with a factory installed residential refrigerator. ... Could someone ... give me the dimensions of the opening and also the make/model of the refrigerator.

I have a 2014.5 37GT. It has a residential refrigerator. As it is in the shop, I can not get that for you, but will be happy to do so in a week or two, if someone else does not provide....

daverubino 02-10-2017 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 3453709)
I have a 2014.5 37GT. It has a residential refrigerator. As it is in the shop, I can not get that for you, but will be happy to do so in a week or two, if someone else does not provide....

Same here. I should be back to mine maybe Monday.

IrihRed 02-10-2017 06:04 AM

The original res refrig was a top freezer two door model with a pantry next to it. Late 2015 and with the 2016 it went to a side by side and the end of the island had to be changed to accommodate the opening of the doors. They were both Whirlpools. That being said a bigger concern is possibly the coach door opening and ability to bring the refer in. I know this doesn't help with dimensions but the size of the coach entry door will be an issue. I would use the opening dimensions from the Dometic including depth, look at refers that are simple (not a lot of computerized functions, more mechanical functions) that will fit the space and then check the depth of fridge with doors off to see if it will fit thru door. Hopefully then you will not have to modify cabinetry. Measure to see if the island will be an issue opening fridge doors with the slide in. Just my two cents!

ctpres 02-10-2017 06:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
#​100​ Continued: Replace sleeper sofa with double recliners. Window side valances under a bit of stress from chair back in full upright. Decided to shorten them. Scary project but turns out to be easy. Once decision made how much to cut off top, about 1.5 inch in my case - just mark all the way around on both sides with a Sharpie. Cut away all fabric except that between panels with razor blade and cut wood/fiber board with fine tooth blade. I used saber saw with metal cutting blade. Probably not necessary but I used a hot glue gun on fabric ends to keep them in place. If you have a stapler - that would be faster. Tap old screw holes with hammer and smooth fabric around hole as much as possible. Re-install using brackets in same place on the wall. Old holes in fabric not noticeable. The problem I mentioned earlier in getting chairs to lock into slots resolved. Raised console and good end up and studs just dropped into place and slid back into locking position. Secured outlet strip to top of TV enclosure with double stick Velcro. Plugged in a phone charger and ran cord between console back and base - between hinges and left end in console storage. Next and final step - staple 1/8"x3" neoprene strips to 1x3's cut to fit cutouts on the ends. Neoprene will seal sides just like front and hopefully reduce drafts from the outside. Very noticeable on cold days in bare feet. 1x3 will also be cut to trim front and all pieces painted flat black. Chair frames will be screwed to floor, a double rum and coke prepared and recliners enjoyed for many days and hopefully years to come. Pics of final results should be posted later tomorrow. Questions? Ask quick before I forget.

ctpres 02-10-2017 06:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
#100 more pics. Trim boards in place. Fit and finish not that great. Woodworking as a full timer leaves a lot to be desired. But since this is all at floor level and almost covered - few will notice - I hope.

tedgard01 02-10-2017 12:57 PM

Looks good!

ctpres 02-10-2017 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
#​100​ Finished AND DONE! Ready for many hours of doing nothing, napping, reading, TV and conversation. Project summary: Chairs are comfortable, will stay in partial recline position (not true for many others we tested,) armrest and center console not at same height, feet in air when sitting (that is due to slide floor being 4 inches higher than coach floor,) cup holders only big enough for cans and water bottles, no holes in cup holders - that is good - any condensation will stay in cup holder. D-ring recline release handle a bit hard to pull but release works reliably, effort needed to return recliner to upright and lock is very modest, no visable defects in chairs - construction seems solid for price. There was a recline problem in one chair as a result of being dropped in shipping easy DIY fix. Seller responded promptly to two emails. Considering fact that we saved $1,200 over what we had planned to buy - we are Happy Campers. Would we buy them again - YES! I am going to take a nap.

tedgard01 02-10-2017 09:32 PM

Very nice!

PattyP 02-15-2017 12:35 PM

Hi Chuck! We met you at RV show in Tampa, Fl a couple weeks ago. Can you give us a call? 813-629-0373. Want to talk to you about the theater seating. Patty

ctpres 02-18-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3461113)
Hi Chuck! We met you at RV show in Tampa, Fl a couple weeks ago. Can you give us a call? 813-629-0373. Want to talk to you about the theater seating. Patty

Will do later today or tomorrow

daverubino 02-19-2017 07:20 AM

We're getting theater seating also. We bought the camping world set for a little over 1K at the show. Haven't gotten them yet as the mh has been at CW since 1/27. More on that later.

Rascal55 02-26-2017 12:48 PM

My wife wants open shelving in the Kitchen. She doesn't like cupboards. Has anyone seen examples or have ideas?

sbleiweiss 02-27-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal55 (Post 3476765)
My wife wants open shelving in the Kitchen. She doesn't like cupboards. Has anyone seen examples or have ideas?

The woodwork Thor uses is easy to rework. I am not a woodworker, but TotalValue RV has made many woodwork changes/additions for us that look just like they came from the factory. We have added an open shelf in the bathroom. But I would be concerned with driving with stuff on the shelves. Our bathroom shelf is empty when we move.