iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 03-12-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1492986)
Don, finally got a chance to watch your video. I see what you mean. I heard you drag on a couple of turns. That place looks awesome.

I first went there in 04 for a gathering of BMW riders. I enjoy riding the Smokeys so much that I try to go back at least once a year. That is just one road in a long list of roads that go through that part of Tennessee, North and South Carolina and Georgia, That one in particular is different no only because of the the way it's laid out but because there is just one way in and one way out and there are no homes or businesses on it. killboy.com photos - The Original Photographer from US129 Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap has a bunch of photos of the road and also the guy that took the photos I posted

bdickson 03-12-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1493276)

I also have the mirror mounted cameras but have open access to the set screw on the back (foreword facing) side of the mirror arm

Well, I've got the mirror locked down in a position that works and doesn't stick out too far. I ground down a hex key to fit, so I now have a custom mirror adjustment tool.

So next topic:just filled up after a long day on I10 & I20. Gas mileage for 425 miles was 7.08. I was towing a Honda CRV. How does this compare to others experiences?

bdickson 03-12-2013 09:09 PM

Well cr*p. drivers side slide would not extend when we set up at campground tonight. It goes out about 6 inches then the front end stops and the back end tries to keep going, and the slide starts twisting. It was already 7pm Elkhart time, but I called Thor anyway. Imagine my surprise when I got through to a technician. He talked me through a few things, and we concluded that something has got jammed in one of the rollers. I did pick one piece of wood trim scrap from under the slide so the theory seems reasonable. He is going to call the closest dealer in the morning and get us checked in. Gotta say I'm impressed with Thor warranty service so far.

DGShaffer 03-13-2013 04:32 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the slide issue. I met another Challenger owner last night. One of his issues is that the drivers side slide makes a loud squeaking noise when the motor home in being driven. I told him that that was my number one issue on my list of fix's when I bring mine in next week.

I thought it was an isolated issue but now I have to ask. Is anyone else here putting up with a squeaking slide?

john109 03-13-2013 04:41 AM

Bruce I had a similar issue only it was my kitchen slide I ended up finding 3 broken wires going to my forward slide motors. Have the technician check for power at your aft motor. Or at least listen to see if its trying to drive if you don't hear it trying to drive check the harness between the forward and aft motors if is found to be good you probably have a bad motor. these slides are not that complicated. If you go to you tube they have some good videos from the company that makes them. ( i forget there name but you can find it in your manual). In my case when the factory routed my harness going from one motor to another it was to tight and after a few operations the harness broke. I ended up soldering and heat shrinking the harness and have used the slide many times since. Good luck John

bdickson 03-13-2013 09:42 PM

Sitting in a campground next to Camping World in Albuquerque with a warranty service booking for the jammed slide tomorrow morning.

bdickson 03-13-2013 09:59 PM

Ok, here's a question. Our Challenger has an 1800 watt inverter. This seems to be a recent change from the 600 in the Thor specs. What would be the feasibility of powering the fridge outlets from the inverter? As it stands, the fridge switches to gas when we are not on shore power. Just thinking it would be safer not having an open flame even though it's a Dometic and not a Norcold.

DGShaffer 03-14-2013 04:38 AM

You would need to look at the manual to gauge the power draw of the unit to see how long it would run before having to start the generator.

I let mine run on propane for one to two days before I leave for a trip. When I get to it, I can load the refrigerator immediately.

Good luck getting the slide issue taken care of. Mine squeaks like mad so I'm hoping they'll be able to silence it this coming week.

bdickson 03-14-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1495589)
You would need to look at the manual to gauge the power draw of the unit to see how long it would run before having to start the generator.

I let mine run on propane for one to two days before I leave for a trip. When I get to it, I can load the refrigerator immediately.

Good luck getting the slide issue taken care of. Mine squeaks like mad so I'm hoping they'll be able to silence it this coming week.

We don't boondock, so the house batteries are either charging from the converter when on shore power or the alternator when driving. However, if I do move the fridge to inverter power, I'd probAbly get a generator auto start installed.

bdickson 03-14-2013 04:59 PM

Slide update: the jamming was caused by some screws in the vertical frame loosening and catching the slide wall. Easy fix. However, the technician also noticed (as I had also done) that the slide goes bump-bump-bump on the way out and in. He told me this is happening because the rollers under the slide are not aligned properly with the metal rubbing plates on the floor. The bumping is the rollers running over the screw heads. Thor are overnighting a set of new, wider plates which will be installed tomorrow. The slide will have to be removed to do this, so it's an all day job. The tech did comment that if this is left uncorrected it will wear out the rollers eventually. Anyone who has a slide with the Schwintek mechanism (gear tracks at each end of the slide) should get it checked if it bumps going in and out.

camaromance 03-14-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1495439)
Ok, here's a question. Our Challenger has an 1800 watt inverter. This seems to be a recent change from the 600 in the Thor specs. What would be the feasibility of powering the fridge outlets from the inverter? As it stands, the fridge switches to gas when we are not on shore power. Just thinking it would be safer not having an open flame even though it's a Dometic and not a Norcold.

Bruce, the issue with a fridge or even an air conditioning unit is not the power it takes to run it, it's the power required to get the compressor started at the begining of each cooling cycle. They both have a starting capacitor that stores a huge amount of electricity to get the compressor going. The capicitors are a short discharge meaning they dont stay charged for very long so it takes a fair amount of power to charge them. Also, the worst thing you can do to either is to run them without the proper amount of power. It will ruin the compressor.

Believe it or not, the propane is the most efficient way to run your fridge. However, I have seen all the posts and pictures of ruined motorhomes due to fires in the fridge. I will share that I have always run my fridge off propane when on the road and while boon docking and have never felt like it was a danger. It is very unfortunate for those who have lost their motorhome because of this type of fire but, I also think the danger is WAY overstated and causes a lot of unwarranted fear. The best thing you can do to ensure you won't burn down your coach is to always make sure the vent pipe on the back of your fridge is clear. I have a small inspection mirror I use to see the "light" through the standpipe. I don't do it religiously, but at least at the beginning of the season and every so often throughout the season. Funny thing, I always think of it when I'm driving down the road and can't do anything about it. Then, I usually forget about it after we get to where we're going.

DGShaffer 03-14-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1496213)
Slide update: the jamming was caused by some screws in the vertical frame loosening and catching the slide wall. Easy fix. However, the technician also noticed (as I had also done) that the slide goes bump-bump-bump on the way out and in. He told me this is happening because the rollers under the slide are not aligned properly with the metal rubbing plates on the floor. The bumping is the rollers running over the screw heads. Thor are overnighting a set of new, wider plates which will be installed tomorrow. The slide will have to be removed to do this, so it's an all day job. The tech did comment that if this is left uncorrected it will wear out the rollers eventually. Anyone who has a slide with the Schwintek mechanism (gear tracks at each end of the slide) should get it checked if it bumps going in and out.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you'll be stuck there. They could install flat head screws but then they wouldn't have you walking around buying stuff in their store! :rofl:

DGShaffer 03-14-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1496224)

Believe it or not, the propane is the most efficient way to run your fridge. However, I have seen all the posts and pictures of ruined motorhomes due to fires in the fridge. I will share that I have always run my fridge off propane when on the road and while boon docking and have never felt like it was a danger. It is very unfortunate for those who have lost their motorhome because of this type of fire but, I also think the danger is WAY overstated and causes a lot of unwarranted fear. The best thing you can do to ensure you won't burn down your coach is to always make sure the vent pipe on the back of your fridge is clear. I have a small inspection mirror I use to see the "light" through the standpipe. I don't do it religiously, but at least at the beginning of the season and every so often throughout the season. Funny thing, I always think of it when I'm driving down the road and can't do anything about it. Then, I usually forget about it after we get to where we're going.

Good tip on the inspection mirror. With my fridge on a slide I imagine the vent is a flex hose because the vent is hard mounted to the roof. Am I thinking about the correct vent?

I honestly think my fridge runs more on propane that it does electric. I let it cool down for a day prior to every trip as well as while traveling to and from, all on propane.

If it catches fire you can bet I'm waiting to call for help until there's no salvaging it. I can't imagine fighting with an insurance company over smoke and water damage. My policy has replacement value coverage in the case of a total loss.

camaromance 03-14-2013 08:25 PM

Don,

You should have an upper and lower grate access on the outside of your slide. The vent pipe runs vertical on what should be the right side behind those grates. It draws air in from the bottom and the vents out of the top grate. Even with just the lower grate removed, you should be able to see up the vent by contorting yourself and looking up the vent pipe or just use a mirror. The flame is nothing more than a pilot light. You probably know this already but, another place to keep an eye on is the vent for the water heater. Spiders and wasps can clog that up with their nests which can create a real problem. To prevent these things from happening, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought the set of three metal mesh sink strainers. Of the three sizes that are in there, two of them are the perfect size. One goes over the vent for the hot water heater, the other goes over the air intake for the engine. We turn on both the gas and electric at the same time to help recover the hot water n the morning. It works so well it's almost like one of those hot water generators. I leave my fridge running all season. Hell, in the summertime, I usually have more groceries in the camper than I do in the house.

DGShaffer 03-15-2013 04:44 AM

Good tips. I'll be looking at that as soon as I get it back from service. When I was keeping mine at the house it was always plugged in, stocked, and ready to go at a moments notice. Then the local town administration changed and they cited an ordnance that barred me from keeping it at my house. So now I keep it at a storage yard 5 minutes from home.

DGShaffer 03-16-2013 07:38 AM

I just mentioned this handy little device to John in an email and that got me thinking that some of you may be doing your own oil changes and appreciate something to make it easier.

Its call the Quick Oil Drain Valve and it replaces the drain plug. The valve has a spring that locks it in the closed position and you lift the lever and rotate it 90 degrees and here comes the oil. I attached an 18" long section of tube and used a few loose tie wraps to hold it up along the sway bar. I also plug the hose to keep debris out of it.

I put 30,000 miles on my Outlaw so that meant I saved myself about eight opportunities to strip the threads on my oil pan. If you've ever done this you know that the repair is an absolute bitch!

Anyway, it's something new to spend some money on :dance:

Here's the link: QuickOilDrainValve.com

ronny 03-16-2013 07:24 PM

congrats on your new kt. we just purchased a gt and love it. going to home depot to get some of those regesters. great idea.
Ronny
marble falls texas

DGShaffer 03-16-2013 08:11 PM

I was informed that they sell 2x10's. All they had at my local HD were the 2x12's so that's what I installed. Either way, I like the look and the ability to choke off the heat in the bathroom.

bdickson 03-16-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1498402)
I was informed that they sell 2x10's. All they had at my local HD were the 2x12's so that's what I installed. Either way, I like the look and the ability to choke off the heat in the bathroom.

So you have a rectangular vent in the bathroom? Mine is round, on the side of the washer/dryer closet. I think it may have been discussed earlier, but is there an effective way to control the airflow through the round vents?

bdickson 03-16-2013 08:38 PM

Slide update: The tech started pulling the slide out yesterday morning while waiting for the FedEx overnight 10am delivery. Apparently the parts didn't arrive until 3pm because Thor selected next day economy shipping when they had guaranteed me early morning. Then the tech found that the new roller plates they shipped were the wrong size. By then, Thor was closed for the weekend. So Camping World sent out to a local sheet metal shop and had plates fabricated. Everything was done by 11am today and we are back in the coach with a working slide. I know it's common to knock Camping World, but the Albuquerque location pulled out all the stops and did a great job for us. Needless to say I am less than pleased with Thor's warranty department.

DGShaffer 03-17-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1498420)
So you have a rectangular vent in the bathroom? Mine is round, on the side of the washer/dryer closet. I think it may have been discussed earlier, but is there an effective way to control the airflow through the round vents?

I'm sure you can come up with a piece of cardboard inside the vent to choke it off. Not having one in my hand that's all I got. Send it to me and I'll create an adjustable insert :D

DGShaffer 03-17-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1498439)
Slide update: The tech started pulling the slide out yesterday morning while waiting for the FedEx overnight 10am delivery. Apparently the parts didn't arrive until 3pm because Thor selected next day economy shipping when they had guaranteed me early morning. Then the tech found that the new roller plates they shipped were the wrong size. By then, Thor was closed for the weekend. So Camping World sent out to a local sheet metal shop and had plates fabricated. Everything was done by 11am today and we are back in the coach with a working slide. I know it's common to knock Camping World, but the Albuquerque location pulled out all the stops and did a great job for us. Needless to say I am less than pleased with Thor's warranty department.

I've had vendors do that same thing to me and it's really frustrating. Glad to see that the guys at CW didn't let that slow them down.

I'm fortunate in that I have had nothing but great experiences with my local CW. They do seem to get knocked quite a bit but I have had nothing be good things to say about the one here in NJ since I first bought my Damon Outlaw. I bought it from a dealer out in Rhode Island and immediately brought it to these guys for all the punch list items to be handled. They didn't care at all the I didn't buy the unit from them.

Glad to hear the good news. Squeezing through toll booths could have been a problem with that slide extended :popcorn:

DGShaffer 03-17-2013 05:23 AM

Keeping on this theme. I was never instructed on how to manually retract the slides. I never asked so I got what I asked for I guess.

Does anyone here know the procedure for retracting the slides in case of a power failure?

john109 03-17-2013 05:26 AM

Bruce,
Great to hear you are back on the road and that the Camper's World you dealt with was so helpful. Has anyone found a reliable site that rates service at different dealerships. If not maybe we can start our own I believe that Don has a lot of good things to say about his dealership. And Bruce had a good experience in Albuquerque I know I would go to either place if I was needing help. I myself can't recommend my dealership the people were nice but the service department was horrible. It was Campers World in Syracuse, NY they couldn't fix my DT and promised me parts were coming and when I called all I got was voice mail to service manager and no return calls. I met another guy on this site who had a similar experience with this same dealership. After a couple of weeks I went directly to Thor and got the parts from them. Guys I am not trying to bash dealerships my thinking is it would be nice to have a list of places to go or not go if you need help.
Bruce one other question since they did all the work on your slide does it make any noise going down the road. The reason I ask is some of us are finding that ours do. I know Don's is in for service this week and hopefully they will find a fix for it.
John

john109 03-17-2013 05:37 AM

Don go to You Tube and type in
Schwintek In-Wall Slide System (Trouble Shooting Tips) By Lippert Components

Also if you just type in Schwintek slide outs you will get several good how to videos.

DGShaffer 03-17-2013 06:51 AM

Thanks John! I'll do that now.

Here's a link to a RV service center review site. I honestly just looked it up as a response your your post. I added a review for the Camping world i use since there wasn't one, it wasn't listed.

Good call!
RV Service Reviews

DGShaffer 03-17-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1498686)
Don go to You Tube and type in
Schwintek In-Wall Slide System (Trouble Shooting Tips) By Lippert Components

Also if you just type in Schwintek slide outs you will get several good how to videos.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was a little surprised at how simple it is. Since there are 4 racks I guess tyhere's a shaft running to both drive gears being driven by a single motor on each side. I was under the impression that there were 4 motors. In the video he only disconnects the one motor so I guess you repeat it on the other end of the slide.

Great information!!!! :thumb:

john109 03-17-2013 08:26 AM

Don Thats exactly how it works two motors driving two rods driving four tracks. I had issues with my right side and the service guys at the dealership disconnected my forward motor until I could get home. I eventually found some broken wires on the harness ended being my problem. I ended up pushing the slide all the way out and measured each end to make sure it was square and dropped the motor back into it proper position and retracted it. Another neat thing about these slides is the motors will run contiuously there are no stops in the motor itself. So as long as you keep the box square they are fairly easy to rig. Just make sure the motor is secured properly as it will twist under the torque of the slide moving. (I found that out the hard way I thought I could ops check without securing the motor no can do). It has been fine ever since. after watching the you tube videos these are a far cry from my old slide on my class C.

Thanks for the review sites I will check it out.
John

john109 03-17-2013 12:27 PM

Guys I have a new issue just found it today. My ABS light is staying on I read a bunch of threads most said pull sensor clean and reinstall I pulled both rears and they look new. I only have 1700 miles on RV I put my code reader on there and zero codes are coming up. I guess i will ohm out seensors and see what I get. But I was wondering anyone has come across this and what they found. Thanks

camaromance 03-17-2013 01:13 PM

John, in every case I have ever had a problem with ABS, it's always been the wheel speed sensor. Usually, they're dirty and need a shot of WD40 and some dielectric grease on the contacts. I use a smear of that grease on everything electrical, headlights, outside bulbs, battery terminals, everything. It keeps the dirt out and always ensures a good electrical connection, especially on loose ones.

john109 03-17-2013 03:55 PM

Jim
Thanks for the info I too use die electric grease on every electrical connection. I have been messing around with ABS all day and thinking about what might have brought it on. And when we were about to get a storm about a month back I moved the RV closer to my house and away from some big trees I was afraid may come down on it. And when I was moving it back to where I keep it I got stuck and spun the tires a little bit nothing real crazy. Now I am wondering if that may have played a role in this I don't remember seeing the light on back then. But it could have been. I also noticed today that when I turn off the rv and then turn the key on all the dash lights work as advertised. And when I start the rv all the lights go out even the ABS light like it is supposed to. But a second later the ABS light comes on and a I hear a clicking sound I believe is coming from under the dash. Maybe even in the engine bay. :banghead: Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Like I said I did pull the back sensors my thinking was those were the wheels I spun and maybe I would see something obvious. But they were clean and I slid them back in I guess I will ohm out the harness's next. They are out in the open and easy to access. I think I said this earlier I did put my code checker on and it said no faults found. thanks guys

DGShaffer 03-17-2013 05:40 PM

Have you driven around at all since? My bikes need a few revolutions to reset. That's all I got?

john109 03-17-2013 08:04 PM

Don I have not taken it out but I will one night this week. hopefully after a few miles it will clear itself. If not I will ohm out the sensors they are easily accessible. Thanks guys for the input weekend's over back to the rock pile.:facepalm:

DGShaffer 03-18-2013 05:02 AM

If they don't reset in a few foreword revolutions I doubt they will so don't go crazy with the drive. Good luck with it and hopefully it'll go away.

papa d 03-18-2013 11:09 AM

Like Jim Estes we purhased a 2012 Thor Challenger from Camping World in Statesville, NC. Just outstanding service from Brain Good and the entire staff both sales and service. A very nice experience!

We love the Challenger but did have a few problems; the sofa latch broke which took some time to replace, the galley slide had to be serviced - it tore the floor and molding. The window wiper hoses broke and had to be replaced. The cameras were not connected and the TV's were not connected.

Our first trip the radiator hose came loose - we lost all antifreeze and had to pull over on the freeway and wait for emergency service.

All the problems are now resolved and we are enjoying oue unit. I would think that Thor sould rethink their inspection service!!!

Papa D

DGShaffer 03-18-2013 11:27 AM

As John suggested, I posted a link to a RV service center review site. I think maintaining a site like that is beneficial to everyone. I listed my experience and I encourage everyone to do the same.

john109 03-18-2013 03:13 PM

Nice to meet you Papa D. its great to hear of another good dealership. I think its a good thing when people come on this thread (thanks Don) and tell there issues especially Challenger people. I know I will be checking my radiator hoses now. I sent a letter to Thor regarding all the screws, wire ties and saw dust I have found when I have dug into some problems. They apologized but I doubt much will come of it. The one thing I have noticed on this thread is that every Challenger owner on here is happy with there unit. I think we have very good machines that need tweeking once in a while. And the more people we get with different issues the smarter we all get and hopefully head problems off before they happen.

Don I have a 20 yard long drive way and my neighbor has a tree down across the street so its hard for me to even get the RV out. I tried backing as far as I could a few times but no luck. I read somewhere I may have to drive 3 to 5 miles. Its not like its a show stopper I would be comfortable taking it for a weekend get away.

DGShaffer 03-18-2013 05:35 PM

Hey "D"... sorry for glazing over your post. I'll second the welcome from John to the thread. I'm thinking I'll check my hoses as well. Glad to hear you're happy with your Challenger. My couch latch was broken as well. Hopefully that's all that was wrong and that is wrong.

Thor has really gone the distance with their commitment to quality over the last couple of years. For the money Thor is a really competitive unit. The differences between my 08 Outlaw and this 2013 Challenger are really astounding. I would think we would be hard pressed to find another coach in this price range that is built as well, that has as good a quality and customer service record as Thor.

As far as the little things that go wrong, think about having your home withstand 60 - 70 mph winds for hours on end while having the ground under it tremble and shake at the same time. Considering that, I think we're lucky that more doesn't go wrong with them.

Hey John,

I'm with you on the driveway ordeal. I can only get into mine from one direction. I have walls on both sides so I have to miss the front corner that I can't see and the exhaust pipe with every try. I have to position it just right when preparing to back out, then stand up to see over my neighbors hedges to check for traffic and back out without hitting the walls or backing into a street sign on the far side of the road. :dance:

john109 03-18-2013 06:07 PM

Don thats quite an ordeal just to get out of your yard. Maybe you can get the town to put in a street light for you.:laugh: You guys got me thinking now when I first brought my RV home I found what looked like a small bracket and wheel on it. Under my slide out seat of my couch I am going to have look closer now. But it doesn't look like a latch.

DGShaffer 03-18-2013 06:22 PM

I amaze my wife twice each weekend we take it out on a trip, once when I back out and again when I pull in. She used to stop traffic for me but we use our MH so often that I'm pretty good now and can do it on my own.

If it's square metal bracket with a two wheel caster threaded into it then it's from under the pull out section of your L couch. There should be two casters under there. The latch that you tilt out to release the L section couch is what is broken on mine. That's one of the punch list items being repaired this week

john109 03-19-2013 04:36 AM

Don I remember the day we picked up the rv my wife sat in the passenger seat and said are you sure you can drive this? I have a class A cdl so it was not a big deal for me. But I got to tell you some of those toll booths can be scary not sure why I have driven tractor trailers through them and not felt so cramped. I guess its all part of the adventure. Can you back it in the drive way so when you exit you can see better? That may help with the pucker factor.

What I found is a caster I didn't know there was a latch I will be looking closer probably this weekend. Thanks for the info

DGShaffer 03-19-2013 05:07 AM

Look under the pull out section of your couch, there are supposed to be two casters under it.

I never tried backing it in. Pulling in and backing out is second hand now so it's not a big deal.

My Outlaw wasn't much taller than these units but at 12'9" and the sloped roof it seemed taller. We picked ours up in Rhode Island and every overpass looked like it was going to hit. My wife said the same thing. We decided that it would be fun to overnight it at a campground on the way home. The campground only had back in sites, the road through the park was one lane, dirt, windy, and narrow. The site was a tiny back in with trees all around. I managed to get it in place in one shot thanks to the back up camera but the wife and neighbors were impressed.

You really do need good coordination, depth perception and steady nerves to drive these with confidence. My wife drove our Class C on longer trips but no way will she drive these things.

john109 03-19-2013 02:57 PM

Don I will check under the couch this weekend and figure out what is going on. Thanks for the tip. My cross fires arrived today but its raining cold and windy. Won't get today..:banghead:

I don't think my wife has any desire to drive the RV. She's happy sitting in the right seat looking around. And fighting with the dog over the seat he sits there staring at her until she gets up. Sometimes I have her get me a drink or a sandwich just to help my buddy out. Once he's in the seat he aint moving. My female dog heads for the couch and sleeps until we get to where ever we are going. Where did you buy in RI? Was it a good experience?

bdickson 03-21-2013 07:47 PM

Drove 300 miles on I-40 from Arizona into California today, rough and bumpy all the way. Went into the bathroom when we arrived and found one of the mirrored medicine cabinet doors hanging off, ready to fall into the sink. The heavy door is held on with just two screws, one of which had pulled out completely and the other was ready to let go. Door is now reattached with oversized screws and wood packing (toothpicks, none better). If it had fallen it would probably have meant a smashed mirror and cracked sink.

john109 03-22-2013 04:24 AM

Bruce sorry to hear of your troubles. But thank you for the heads up I have never bothered to look that close at the hardware set up on the doors. But I will now, another thing to do. I have driven I40 (although it has been a while) but it was always a pretty nice road. I was thinking I will replace those screws with a couple of 3" deck screws and tell the wife she has new hooks to hang stuff on.
I got a feeling I may end up checking all the hinges as I imagine if those big doors only have a couple of screws the rest are probably the same. Bruce I have found the tooth pick trick is great I have also added some 2 part epoxy to the screws and then tighten them down and they don't back out through vibration.
Thank You again for taking the time to help the rest of us hopefully avoid troubles down the road.

Not sure where everyone is, I look forward to our times here. Hopefully all is well with everyone.
John

DGShaffer 03-22-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1504189)
If it had fallen it would probably have meant a smashed mirror and cracked sink.

Not to mention the mandatory 7 years of bad luck!

Thanks for the heads up. That is an issue with the pressed wood used in these less expensive coach's. My wife ripped a cabinet door clean off in our Outlaw. And yes, tooth picks were the tool of the day then as well! :thumb:

As a preventative measure, I wonder if removing the screws and soaking the inside of the hole with CA glue and letting it soak in and harden the wood would make it more resilient to fatigue from traveling?

What are your thoughts?

john109 03-22-2013 09:09 AM

Don iam sure that CA glue would work fine. I have had good luck with epoxy it's a little thicker and you can put dab on a screw snug it and it dries overnite. Keep the stuff coming guys we can take care of this stuff before we are on the road and little things turn into bigger issues.
Thanks

DGShaffer 03-22-2013 02:50 PM

The neat thing about the CA is that I think it would soak into the wood and then the wood should dry hard. If the threads are still good in the wood, assuming you removed it and it didn't rip out, the threads would be hard like an insert.

I use CA glue to harden the cut ends of para cord as well. The thin kind just wicks right into the cord.

DGShaffer 03-22-2013 02:57 PM

An update on my repair list:

Good Morning Don,

The following items are not done:

Bulge in couch- couldnít fix- waiting for authorization; donít know if panel can be replaced. Waiting for our warranty dept to see
Drawer tracks ordered came in wrong-re-ordered
Vizio remote is not here yet
P/S night shade that doesnít stay up- had to order a new one
Pedestal table ordered came in wrong- re-ordered

As you are aware parts take a minimum of 7 working days to receive and sometimes longer.

The noisy slide was shimmed and adjusted
The couch wheels were replaced and floor gouge was repaired
Additional latches were added to the couch drawer
The window rubber was replaced
The sofa handle and cable were replaced
The windshield rubber was secured

I'm wondering if I should just pick it up tomorrow. We have reservations for the first weekend in April so I have to pick it up next Saturday anyway. It doesn't look much like they'll have the correct parts in on time anyway. I'll just drive down and pick up the parts and install them myself.

john109 03-22-2013 05:32 PM

Don
I will be interested in seeing if that slide is quiet now. Funny story about my night shade. I was trying to get my shade down for over 20 minutes pushing the button. Thinking I wonder were the fuses are for this shade this thing is new what the #$%^. I turned off the ignition and was going to lock it up and said I am going to try the switch one more time. Imagine the look on my face when it worked as advertised and I thought about for a second and said what a dope. Of course it won't work with the engine running. Oh well lesson learned and it didn't cost any money just some time and a little pride.
Don that's a fairly short punch list you can knock that out in short time. Are they going to replace part of the couch? I say pick it up and let Cindy start packing that thing for next weekend. I envy you guys we got 5 more inches of the white stuff last night. I got my cross fires wednesday and got one installed on thursday before the storm and will have to dig out the otherside tomorrow and install it. I took your advise and drilled the hub cap their brackets just did not do it for me. I even tried to modify them but I didn't like the way they looked. I also have to work on my couch to see were that caster goes that I found a while back.

DGShaffer 03-22-2013 07:00 PM

That night shade issue got me as well. Like you, I thought to myself that it shouldn't go all the way down when the motors running!

We did decide to pick it up tomorrow. I have a couple more things I want to do and also to de-winterize it and get everything running in the driveway. Our first weekend out is at a small campground 20 minutes from the house. If something goes wrong it's always good to find it while you're close to home. My shake down trips are usually spent in the driveway so I might spend the night in it this weekend.

Pull the section out and then lie on the floor and look under the extended part. There should be two casters. If there are two then they noticed one missing and replaced it. Now you have a spare. While you're under there make sure the jam nuts on the caster stem are tight

john109 03-22-2013 07:17 PM

I will Don Thanks for the tip. Enjoy the weekend let us know your thoughts on the shim and adjustments to your slide..

camaromance 03-23-2013 06:13 AM

Hey, all. I haven't been on much lately. Very rough week at work. If anyone was wondering about this sequester, I can assure you it's real and it's hitting close to home. I seriously dislike the subject of politics. I generally ignore it as much as I can but living and working around DC, sometimes it spills over into reality. I just want to do my damn job. I take pride in knowing what I do is important and relevant. I am just so pissed off right now that politicians can't get their heads out of their asses and do their damn job. Instead, they kick the can down the road. Indecision, I think, is worse than making a wrong decision. At least a wrong decision if made for the right reasons is movement, a direction, and can be corrected for.

Sorry for the rant, I truly apoligize for that. Having not met you guys, YET, I would like to think we have a lot of parallels. So, that's what I've been dealing with, anyway....

Hope all is well with everyone and I've been wondering if you guys knew when this winter is going to end. Jeez!

DGShaffer 03-23-2013 06:28 AM

Good to hear from you again Jim,

I feel for you and hope that this doesn't affect you financially. These next 4 years will be filled with nothing but stalemates and unfortunately, I think most intelligent voters could see it coming but others voted for it anyway. My nephew is employed by Lockheed Martin in Texas and working on the F-35 project. I'm hoping his job will be spared.

I'm heading to my dealer today to pick up my unfinished coach since they ordered or were shipped the wrong parts and that this error wasn't discovered until my coach arrived. I purposely waited until all the parts were in before bringing it there so the repairs could be made in a timely manner.

I own a metal fabrication business. I order parts on a daily basis for multiple projects. I know what should be ordered before I order it. I inspect it when it comes in against what is needed. If for any reason they don't match the requirement, I correct the order.

I would be out of business if I waited until the parts were needed to find that they weren't the correct parts. It's called "incoming inspection".

I think it may be time for a friendly call followed up with an email to Thor and copied to their service manager. It stands to reason that if they had tighter controls in this area they could be more efficient and have fewer unhappy customers.

I like the people at my local Camping World but there is definitely room for improvement.

john109 03-23-2013 09:43 AM

Jim I was wondering where you were at . I too am affected by the sequestration I am a civilian technician for the Air Guard and looking at a 20% pay cut along with no pay raises for he past three years and none in the forseeable future. I try not to think about it as it just makes me crazy. I hope you and your family will get through this ok, hopefully one day soon all of us will sit down drink some beer and eat some good food and have a few laughs. And if you need to vent we are always here to listen. I actually feel better after talking to you guys and getting ideas we are working stiffs just helping each other out. Too bad the rest of the country didn't work the same way.

Don It can be frustrating I totally gave up on my dealeship they too were nice people. But service was horrible they would lie right to you and then never get back to you. I guess the old saying is true if you want something done right do it yourself. Don I am send you a PM that may help.

camaromance 03-23-2013 09:52 AM

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it. I'll pull up my panties now.

john109 03-23-2013 10:06 AM

Jim If nothing else we can all go to Don's shop and pan handle out front and maybe Don will bring us coffee a couple of times a day.

camaromance 03-23-2013 10:29 AM

Good plan, John. I'll bring a cup.

DGShaffer 03-23-2013 10:46 AM

Best I can do is to make you the cup and point you to someone that might have coffee :flowers:

I make a lot of stuff that ends up in government use so my shop has seen a dramatic fall off as of the beginning of the month. A lot of what we're seeing can be attributed to "Dramatic Affect" and "Naive Pessimism". Those that want you to think the sky is falling and those that believe it and run for cover. :hide:

Eventually things will stabilize and we'll get on with life but, until it does, break out the hard hats and hip waders because the BS will be flying at us from every direction. :horse3:

john109 03-23-2013 12:52 PM

Don your right I have been with the government for many years. I have been through BRAC's, Furloughs, & shutdowns. And eventually things do settle down and work their way back to normal. All we can do is hold on and let things take there course. Where do you find those icons I love the beating the dead horse I never seen that one before.

DGShaffer 03-23-2013 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go John. I took this photo just as I was getting ready to pull into my driveway. Look like fun to you? I was a little upset with the wife for pulling in before me but I made it anyway.

If you click on the [More] under the Smiles box, a larger choice pops up. :knuppel2:

john109 03-23-2013 04:27 PM

Don, that does look tight I believe if there was another coat of paint on your wife's car you would probably hit it. Also I think the guy behind you is giving you the finger. Could just be a reflection in the mirror. What did you think about the slide noise any better then it was?? Did they explain how they did the work? How did the rest of the service go do you feel ok with it?

I got my other Cross Fire installed today sun is out but still in the low 40's and breezy. But I managed to get it done. Can I turn the faces on those so they line up with the hub cap. Right now I got one face upside down and the other is running at 12 and 6 oclock. I was not sure if I could put a wrench on them or if that would mess them up.

Thortogo 03-23-2013 05:10 PM

Let us know if you find a way to put a remote reset in for the inverter.

DGShaffer 03-23-2013 05:25 PM

The slide noise is still there although not as bad. They said something about shimming the slide but the tech wasn't available to explain it. Since it's still there, it doesn't really work anyway. What they were able to get done looks like it went well enough. I'll finish up myself.

I haven't tried to turn the head but I would be careful if I were you. Your aircraft maintenance background is showing. "Must get things to line up!"

I'll be working on the remote reset shortly :D

john109 03-23-2013 05:41 PM

ouch!! you got me I will leave the cross fires alone. Thats too bad about the slide I was hoping they would have a solid fix for it.

Thortogo 03-23-2013 05:49 PM

The wife wants to get rid of the humming noise, I told her good luck.

DGShaffer 03-23-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thortogo (Post 1506174)

The inverter in my Outlaw only would humm if it were being used, the inverter in my Challenger seems to humm all the time. To me this is odd and doesn't sound right so I'll be looking into it for sure.

bdickson 03-23-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1506325)

The inverter in my Outlaw only would humm if it were being used, the inverter in my Challenger seems to humm all the time. To me this is odd and doesn't sound right so I'll be looking into it for sure.

Is your inverter a 600 watt and is it under the bed? Mine is an 1800 watt Xantrex and it is in the second compartment on the drivers side. My 37GT finished assembly in January 2013 so this may be a new change.

CampDaven 03-23-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thortogo (Post 1506174)

My wife hums in her sleep. Now there is an inverter that hums. It's a duet!
I have been running a fan for white noise every night for almost 45 years.
Boom!

DGShaffer 03-23-2013 09:09 PM

Yes it is and yes it is. Perhaps they're putting the larger inverters in a bay because of the heat. Or they are getting complaints. I'm still curious why current is passing through an inverter while it's on shore power?

That's funny Dave!

bdickson 03-23-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1506368)
Yes it is and yes it is. Perhaps they're putting the larger inverters in a bay because of the heat. Or they are getting complaints. I'm still curious why current is passing through an inverter while it's on shore power?

That's funny Dave!

You really think Thor are going to change their design because of customer complaints? Silly boy! :-)

flaggship1 03-23-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven

My wife hums in her sleep. Now there is an inverter that hums. It's a duet!
I have been running a fan for white noise every night for almost 45 years.
Boom!

Hey Dave - Same tune or does she change it up?

I have never understood why things are placed where they are. I understand the need for access and that manufacturers are dealing with limited space. So I guess they start with a blank slate and say - where can we place this noise maker so it will keep people from sleeping. What's the max pounds available on a strut - let's put that on the bed so it's hard to close and these weaker ones on the bay bay doors.

CampDaven 03-23-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggship1 (Post 1506458)

Hey Dave - Same tune or does she change it up?

I have never understood why things are placed where they are. I understand the need for access and that manufacturers are dealing with limited space. So I guess they start with a blank slate and say - where can we place this noise maker so it will keep people from sleeping. What's the max pounds available on a strut - let's put that on the bed so it's hard to close and these weaker ones on the bay bay doors.

Same note. Always. Fan. Boom!

This issue is no different than Saturn SL designers who put the oil filter where it would drool down the frame after you removed it, but it did oil the CV joint rubber dust cover on that side real well!

Fan!

john109 03-24-2013 04:55 AM

Don are you going to around here anymore?? I just saw on the news that someone from Jersey won power ball. Solo winner

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 06:23 AM

There were a bunch of winners here in Jersey but I didn't play so I'll be here for a while. Some people say that winning wouldn't change who they are. But me... I'm a realist... It would change the crap out of me!

I'd hire a hit man for all those people on Facebook that post stupid stuff on my page. My wife better duck!

I'd hire someone to hack the Weaponized Military drone software system and have them all circling the White House until someone there did something.

I'd buy an island and make everyone move to one side to see if I can get it to tip over

I'd park my motor home on my front lawn and suit my town every time they sent me a summons

john109 03-24-2013 06:57 AM

Don I pulled the plug on Face book over a year ago. It started out as fun but as time went on so much junk on there. People taking there kids to the dentist and going to do their laundry. I did the unfriending thing and it just got to be tedious and time consuming. Closed the account and have not missed it at all. Between the family, work and RV stuff my days are pretty full.

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 07:35 AM

I'm looking into the inverter humming issue today. I'll be pulling the cover to see if maybe I can remote the switch so that it can be turned off when not in use.

Putting it under the head of the bed was stroke of friggin genius! :rolleyes:

Not only that but by putting inside a small box there isn't any way for it to cool itself off and that's not dumb, that's dangerous!

I still enjoy FB to a degree but keep my friends list to right around 50 but those that I watch to around 5-10

john109 03-24-2013 10:19 AM

Guys I was out working on my couch casters this morning and actually found the missing caster. But I think I am going with a different caster these are really cheap and flimsy. I am off to the hardware store to see what i can find. Also while I was digging around under there I felt cold air rushing in and looked at a bracket probably 1" 1/4 X 1" 1/4 that supports the couch. It goes through the floor and I "assume'' to a plate under the floor. I tried to look from underneath but the storage box blocks the veiw. I am going to pick up some spray in insulation while I am out and spray some into the hole nothing else appears to be in there. I will look closer with a mirror before I spray. I am not sure if the KT and GT are setup the same way or not but on the DT if you pull your couch extension out you will see the bracket I am talking about.

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 10:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good call on the caster replacement John. My casters leave an impression in the floor and I can see it wearing through in time. I wonder if rather than a caster a simple glide with a threaded stem set to a height that's just above floor level so that it only makes contact when you're sitting on the couch?

I'll look for that opening today as well.

Not necessarily RV related but it is mounted in our RV. My wife was given a glass Tea Pot from here Mom after she passed recently. My wife had been trying to get this from her mom forever but she wouldn't give it up. Now that we have it, I made a wall mount to display it so she has a nice reminder. Since it's glass and filled with a butterfly and flora I decided to make it out of Mirror polished stainless steel and put angled wings on it to throw light and reflections from different angles. I mounted the pot with a single screw on center so she could rotate it to what ever angle she preferred.

I'm racking up points for the upcoming riding season :flowers:

john109 03-24-2013 01:56 PM

Don I tossed the old casters and picked up some 1"5/8 wheels with the single post that goes into a sleeve. Its what they use on office chairs. I had some thick oak wood laying around and cut it to the ID of the square stock that held the original casters. It was approx. 13/16 and I cut them 5" long and drilled a 3/8 hole down the middle of the wood and slid the sleeve that holds the caster in place. The sleeve has teeth on it that get taped into the wood. I then slid the wood in from the top of the square stock and put the caster under it and tapped the wood until the caster locked into the sleeve. I also drilled a couple of holes into the square stock so I could put some 3/4 screws in there to hold the wood in place. I put the most forward one down to the floor and the the other one just barely touches the floor so it doesn't make any marks on the floor and makes better contact when I sit on the couch. Its a very easy fix one step I forgot to tell you was you have to remove the end panel on the couch its just 4 bolts once you do that everything is wide open and easy to access. I also rerouted my locking cable and connected it to the handle. It was not before I started. Now everything works fine.

Great job on the tea pot let me know if you want to write anything on it.

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 03:29 PM

I don't suppose you took pictures of your progress? I want one of the end panel removed. My dealer told me that they didn't think it can be removed.

john109 03-24-2013 03:35 PM

If we are talking about the sofa end panel which is what i took off it takes just a few minutes. I will take some pics and post.

john109 03-24-2013 04:15 PM

don sent you an email with pics I have a tough time up loading pics to this site. I think its the old dog new trick thing.

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 04:30 PM

When you post here, go to "Advanced mode" and scroll down to "Manage attachments". A box pops up with 4 slots to let you search for a and attach pictures. You can fill that box twice and again with 2 so that gives you 10 pictures in one post.

I have the email. If they try telling me that it can't be removed I'll shoot them over.

bronk 03-25-2013 03:39 PM

Back Again!

We had a very enjoyable vacation at Gulf Shores, AL last week. Many "spring breakers" and a lot of traffic on I-65. On one leg of the trip I got 8.3 MPG with the old Challenger. I find that keeping the speed around 63 mph seems to give me the best mileage. Of course there was no need for the air conditioning, and this always helps.

It is interesting and informative to read all the postings that you have been making regarding your Challengers. I have had many similar issues, but thankfully, most have been resolved. Also, the comments made concerning the tight fit (mirror-wise) through some of the toll booths. I find that the toll booths in Mass. are particularly tight, and had to use caution on our many trips to Maine during the summer. It sounds as though many of you are getting everything ready for the upcoming camping season; hopefully, the weather will cooperate and it will be a good one for travel and RVing. It was not fun to come back to KY and have a snowstorm today after some pretty good weather in So. AL.

I thought I would check in, since we had limited Internet access at our ESCAPEES campground. Keep the info. coming - it is very helpful!

Ron (Bronk)

DGShaffer 03-25-2013 05:18 PM

We have reservations over the upcoming Christmas on Dauphin Island on the far side of Mobile bay. A 25 minute ferry ride and we're in Gulf Shores. This will be our third trip down that way with the first at a Class A resort in Foley. The last trip was to Dauphin Island and we just fell in love with the place. As noncommercial as you can get! I do head over for dinner at Lamberts Throwed rolls in Foley just for fun and the food is pretty good too. Then we take the bike through Pensacola. The Air museum in Mobile is a great day rip as well.

Welcome back and glad to hear you had a good trip and that there weren't any issues.

john109 03-25-2013 05:32 PM

Don do you stay on Dauphin Island? Or just take the bike over there for a day trip?

Welcome back Bronk sounds like you had a great time do you tow a vehicle when you go down their? I was just wondering if you were towing anything when you were getting that mileage. I know it's a dumb question but I can dream :rolleyes:.

camaromance 03-25-2013 05:52 PM

Speaking of mileage, anyone have any experience with companies that do the performance tunes for the ford V-10? I've seen and read about them but those places seem to be notorious for bogus claims.

DGShaffer 03-25-2013 06:17 PM

John, I stay in The Dauphin Island Campground. They have a private trail right to the beach and they border a bird sanctuary with a good amount of trails. Murphy slept for two days after that last trip! You can see my photos here:
Dauphin_Island-11

Jim, I had the 5 Star Tune in my Outlaw and intend to pay $80 to have a new tune written for my Challenger. I didn't see a real uptick in mileage but what sold me was the upgraded shifting schedule. I was finally able to run with the cruise control on. You can find my review here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/5-star-tune-110567.html

bronk 03-25-2013 06:40 PM

TOAD with the Challenger

John, we tow a Jeep Wrangler with our 2011 Challenger. It is a simple hook up and go. Place the transfer case in neutral, put the transmission (it's a 5 speed) in 3rd or 4th gear and make sure the steering is unlocked - that's it. We have towed it over 20,000 miles with no issues. It is light, easy to drive and can be used for fun drives off-road. It is noisy, (canvas top) rides rough on rough terrain, and is not the most comfortable vehicle, but hey it's a Jeep and is pretty basic. I, too, am looking at the 5 Star Tune, and will probably purchase when my 3yr - 36,000 mile engine warranty is up. I just don't want the hassle of having to reprogram if I need service under warranty. My friend put got the tune for his new Allegro with a Ford chassis and really likes the changed shift points. As I understand the "system" that (shift point reprogram) is about the only benefit. He maintains that he sees no change in gas mileage. I think that the TOW-HAUL feature is the best thing since sliced bread and we were able to make most of the hills in TN and Northern AL at speed with shifting usually limited to only one lower speed. NO ROARING as some of our diesel powered friends state as a disadvantage.

Ron (Bronk)

john109 03-25-2013 07:32 PM

Don that place looks great I been through that area several times but never got to spend anytime there. I think we will be going there one day. Great slide show.

Bronk I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler we tow too. That was the reason we got the Jeep was because it is so tow friendly. I have not towed with the Challenger yet. We got the RV last Oct. we did a couple weekend trips didn't bother taking the jeep. We did tow the Jeep with our old Class C it towed fine with that. I am surprised you get such good mileage towing the jeep. Good deal.

DGShaffer 03-26-2013 04:59 AM

My Outlaw would get 7 whether I was empty or had the garage full and towing a trailer. I guess once you've saddled up that much mass you've zeroed in on the efficiencies of the motor.

Regarding the 5 Star tune. Not only did it tame the shifting schedule but in fact is does give you more horse power. In the hills going North and South on my trip to Alabama I was able to climb at 65 where in the past I would get down to 50 and 55. And that was while in cruise control at 3200 RPM rather than it shifting to a lower gear and screaming at 4400. That trip was so much more pleasant than the one to Key West the year before.

I brought the installation device with me on the trip in case I had to dump the stock tune back in for some unknown reason. Returning it to stock takes 5-10 minutes. I would do it now and when you take it in for service, just return it to stock. Otherwise you'll be missing out on a much more enjoyable driving experience. As I said in my review. If Mike gave it to me before the trip and told me after I got back that it cost a grand, I would have paid him! I enjoyed the trip that much more!

john109 03-26-2013 03:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Guys here are the pictures. In picture 1 thats the three pieces I bought a
1 & 5/8" caster heavy duty. Not that "I" need heavy duty but who knows maybe someday. I cut the wood to 13/16's square X 5 & 1/2" as that was a snug fit for the metal square stock. I then drilled a 3/8's hole down the middle of the wood. Make sure you go deep enough so the caster can go in far enough to engage it s locking feature.Then I installed the sleeve (pic # 2) recepticle that came with the caster and hammered the seraded (sorry no spell check on here) teeth into the wood. I then slid the wood block in from the top while holding the caster on the bottom I found I had to tap the block of wood until the caster fully engaged the sleeve in the wood. Once it was engaged I pushed the wood down until the wheel was just touching the floor. (pic#3) I had predrilled the square stock and installed a couple of wood screws in there to keep everything secure. Then I reattach my couch arm with the 4 bolts that hold it in place. Mine glides in and out now with no issues. If I missed anything please jump in and let me know.

DGShaffer 03-26-2013 03:37 PM

Nice work John! I bought threaded stem casters from McMaster Carr that are a better part than what's on there now. I can screw them right in. Since I hate splinters, wood isn't an option :D

john109 03-26-2013 04:02 PM

Thanks Don, you may want to post up your design it may work better for people who don't have access to wood cutting equipment.

DGShaffer 03-26-2013 04:28 PM

You want a design.... I'm working on a rail system that I plan on mounting my Coleman Road trip grill on so I can just pull it out and fire it up. :popcorn:
I'm using 3/4 x 1-3/4 Unistrut with 3/8" wide x 1-3/8" diameter bearings that will ride inside the strut like a track. All I need now is to get the MH back to the house to measure things and I'll be on my way to 5 minute grillin!

It has to be really long to get it out from under the extended slide and far enough away from the slide so the heat won't affect it. I priced out 60.00" slides and they were over $400!

camaromance 03-26-2013 05:13 PM

Hey guys, finally laid eyes on my challenger this afternoon. I stopped by the dealer to check out the paint job and was impressed. It's been 3 months at the dealer and paint shop. Almost forgot what it looked like. Tomorrow they are pulling the full body slide to adjust the cables. The tech just returned from Indiana after going to a school for the BAL slides and said the cables stretch after a year of use and need to be readjusted. Good thing it's all under warranty. A few other things are getting fixed like a new dinette table and shades. Hope to have it back by this weekend so I can get it ready.

Don, I'm really interested in the instant grill slide for your roadtrip grill. It's always been a PITA to set it up and tear down.

DGShaffer 03-26-2013 05:41 PM

That's great news Jim! Perfect timing! I'm especially glad to hear you're happy with the paint. I know that would be eating at me!

If the slide works out the way I hope I'll have to make a few and bring them to the Summer Challenger Rally at the Skyway Camping Resort 99 Mountain Dale Rd Greenfield Park, NY 12435 this summer :dance:

john109 03-26-2013 05:48 PM

Thats great news Jim sounds like you will have it back just in time for warm weather. :thumb:

Don tell me when I am in my only bad week is the first week in August we are going somewhere else that week.

camaromance 03-26-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1509664)
That's great news Jim! Perfect timing! I'm especially glad to hear you're happy with the paint. I know that would be eating at me!

If the slide works out the way I hope I'll have to make a few and bring them to the Summer Challenger Rally at the Skyway Camping Resort 99 Mountain Dale Rd Greenfield Park, NY 12435 this summer :dance:

Sounds great. What is this summer challenger rally you speak of? Is this a hint of some sort?