iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

sbleiweiss 07-31-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techn0 (Post 4321519)
I purchased from Total Value RV. They are great and even have sites where you camp to checj everything for a couple days. Very thorough walk thru and resolved everything before I ever drove away. Great parts department as well.

We did the same with Total Value RV. Ours had about 50 miles on it. Don't know about whether you will find easy local warranty service after that, but usually best to schedule a trip or two back to Indiana for service at the factory anyway. I don't think Thor has any factory pickup by buyer.

S_Watkins 07-31-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn2 (Post 4321700)
The drivers who bring the new motorhomes to the dealers keep a log of faults they find during the journey from the factory. The dealership should correct these faults before you purchase. Better than you experiencing them on your long drive home. With that list and your list from your PDI, hopefully your warranty problems will be fewer.

I live in College Station and found the dealership north of Bryan to be very honest and customer oriented. I wish I had purchased my Challenger 37YT from them. I had the unfortunate experience to deal with CW in Katy, TX.

I'm more worried about the break-in period of the engine than recording problems with the coach:) I'm not too sure a delivery driver would follow a break in regiment that required them to take more time on the trip, if one is required.

I'm not familiar with the ford engine, really wish it was a Duramax diesel in there, but all my Chevy Duramax's had specific instructions on how they should be driven in the first 500 miles. That included limiting it to slow speeds and no cruise control driving.

I stopped by the Dealer you mentioned yesterday morning and spoke with the General Manager. I had read somewhere on this Forum that someone (maybe you?) had been impressed with their service so I went to check them out. They did not have a KT but are looking into ordering me one... :thumb:

S_Watkins 07-31-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappaJ13 (Post 4321828)
Daughter has 2015 Thor Ace 30.1 Bunkhouse for sale. 20,000 miles. Husband grad of A&M. Died 5 yrs ago of cancer at age 40. Call for more details of the MH. 405-471-2959. Edmond, OK

I'm sorry for your loss...

Hit_the_Rhod 08-01-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappaJ13 (Post 4321828)
Daughter has 2015 Thor Ace 30.1 Bunkhouse for sale. 20,000 miles. Husband grad of A&M. Died 5 yrs ago of cancer at age 40. Call for more details of the MH. 405-471-2959. Edmond, OK

If you haven't already, you might want to post the coach in the IRV2 Classified section. It's free. The more pics the better! Good luck with the sale, and my condolences to your daughter.

WillfromRI 08-15-2018 02:31 PM

New Wannabe Checking In

This is my first post on IRV2...I do not own an RV yet, but I couldn't find IwannaRV2.com, so I hope you don't mind non-owner participation...

I just finished reading all of the posts on this string going back to 2015, so I will try not to ask too many rookie questions. I have been going to RV shows for the last couple of years; I am constantly Googling RV sites and watch RV videos on Youtube and I actually drove to Hershey, PA from Newport, RI for the RV show. (I may need a 12-step group)

After all of that investigation the Challenger is my most favorite model. I was struck by the Challenger layouts and the overall feel of the units. I am about 3 years from retirement and I am seriously starting to plan a purchase in 2 years.

I visited the CW in Berkley and walked through a 2017 LX. There have been several comments on CW and most of them were not too complimentary, especially regarding service. I think I read a comment from a member living on Cape Cod, but was wondering if anyone has dealer recommendations for New England?

I have really enjoyed reading so many of your posts...It is really nice how you all support each other and stay so positive even when you feel like beating your head against the wall...:banghead:

See you around the forum...

Will
:thumb:

sbleiweiss 08-16-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillfromRI (Post 4348723)
This is my first post on IRV2...I do not own an RV yet, but I couldn't find IwannaRV2.com, so I hope you don't mind non-owner participation...
:thumb:

You are welcome as a wannabe. We too think the Challenger has the best floorplans. That is why we are in one despite Thor's sometimes sketchy build reputation. Still glad we are after 60,000+ miles. I can't help with a New England dealer. Maybe others will be able to.

Sanford 08-17-2018 04:56 PM

Challenger purchase

When we purchased our Challenger, I contacted Thor and asked for a list of recommended dealers within a 100 mile radius, other than CW. That has worked well to date.

WillfromRI 08-18-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanford (Post 4352542)
When we purchased our Challenger, I contacted Thor and asked for a list of recommended dealers within a 100 mile radius, other than CW. That has worked well to date.

Thank you Sanford...are you saying you intentionally avoided CW? Was that based on personal experience or just by reputation?

Mike in AZ 08-18-2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillfromRI (Post 4354423)
Thank you Sanford...are you saying you intentionally avoided CW? Was that based on personal experience or just by reputation?

I'm not Sanford, but I will weigh in, hope you don't mind.

We intentionally stay away from CW service. We purchased at CW, and that went fine, but our personal experiences with the service department left us dissatisfied and looking for options. Fortunately, we found a mobile RV tech who does great work, for a fair price, and in most cases we make an appointment for him to come within the week, and he completes the job on the spot. I don't have to take it to CW and call 2 weeks later to learn they "don't have authorization from Thor yet." Then call Thor and learn they just received the request that day, shortly after I called CW. Then call again for 2 weeks to push them to actually do the work. Then go to pick up the coach and discover they did the wrong work, or only part of the work, or ordered the wrong part, or lost the part they received, or.... you get the picture.

However, I think it's important to note that people in this and other forums give very mixed reviews on CW service and I believe it's a case by case thing. Some are well run, some are not, and everything in between. So if I were buying a coach and had a CW nearby, I think I would at least give them a shot.

WillfromRI 08-19-2018 06:03 AM

Thank you both for the feedback. Are you saying that you used a mobile RV tech to perform routine repairs during your warranty period? I was under the impression that those services were only used when you couldn't travel to a dealership. Perhaps it would be worthwhile for others to share how they get work done during their warranty outside of the dealership...and how they find a trustworthy mobile RV tech?

Sanford 08-19-2018 11:30 AM

Yes, because of personal experience.

Mike in AZ 08-19-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillfromRI (Post 4354775)
Thank you both for the feedback. Are you saying that you used a mobile RV tech to perform routine repairs during your warranty period? I was under the impression that those services were only used when you couldn't travel to a dealership. Perhaps it would be worthwhile for others to share how they get work done during their warranty outside of the dealership...and how they find a trustworthy mobile RV tech?

There is no restriction by Thor on who does the work, as long as they have the appropriate license. The process is different, though. With the dealer, you can take the coach in and leave it, they contact Thor and get the authorization to do the work, and Thor pays them direct. There are non-dealer service shops that also have an agreement with Thor and can do the same.

With a mobile service or a shop that does not have a service agreement in place with Thor, in my experience, I had to contact Thor, tell them what the issue was and get their pre-approval to have the mobile tech do the work. I sent them the business card of the mobile tech. With both of the mobile technicians I have used, Thor granted approval within a day.

The tech does the work, I pay the direct myself. I send the paperwork to Thor, along with whatever else they require (for example, recently a hydraulic line had a leak caused by a sharp piece of metal on the frame, and Thor had me send the bad piece of hose to them). Thor then reimburses me, and it can take a while. First time, it took about 2 weeks. This time, I'm at two months and waiting.

For me, it's been much better having the mobile repair service. He comes within a few days of my calling him, and gets the work done on site in a minimal amount of time (same day, for me so far) and my coach is ready to go. If it takes time to get the money back, at least I know it's coming and I have the use of my RV.

Hope that's helpful. Regarding finding a good tech, I was fortunate to get a referral from my sister in law and her husband, and the guy was gold. But for the hydraulic line, he was on vacation for two weeks. I went on a local Facebook group page for Arizona RV owners and asked there, and got several referrals. I checked each one's ratings on Google, Yelp, etc and picked one, and he's a gem.

Mike

ctpres 08-21-2018 07:34 AM

Screen door slide

Our 2015 KT screen door slider is badly cracked from sun damage and I expect it will fall apart any day. The mfg - Dexter is out of business and I can not find a single left hand slider anywhere. Does anyone know of a source? I think I will paint it white in the hope paint will prevent further sun damage. Recommend everyone with same problem do something to minimize sun damage.

sbleiweiss 08-21-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 4358420)
Our 2015 KT screen door slider is badly cracked from sun damage and I expect it will fall apart any day. The mfg - Dexter is out of business and I can not find a single left hand slider anywhere. Does anyone know of a source? I think I will paint it white in the hope paint will prevent further sun damage. Recommend everyone with same problem do something to minimize sun damage.

Chuck, what are you calling the slider? Maybe its too early in the morning, but we don't have anything on our screen door that slides as far as I can remember.

sbleiweiss 08-21-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in AZ (Post 4356241)
I went on a local Facebook group page for Arizona RV owners and asked there, and got several referrals. I checked each one's ratings on Google, Yelp, etc and picked one, and he's a gem.
Mike

Mike, I am not a Facebook user, but can you tell us who this gem is and where in AZ he is? Thanks. Maybe the name of the one from your SIL too please?

MeSteve 08-21-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 4358420)

When did Dexter go under? We have a Dexter door on a 3 month old 2018...

ctpres 08-21-2018 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 4358501)
Chuck, what are you calling the slider? Maybe its too early in the morning, but we don't have anything on our screen door that slides as far as I can remember.

Pic attached - sidewise. I don't expect it to last much longer. Painting it - waited to long. Now thinking about some kind of sticky back material that I can cut to fit. Might hold it together another season. BTW folks - it is not an easy project to take the slider out. Normally would just lift it up till bottom clears track. Can't lift high enough. Looks like it will be necessary to remove edge screws on one end to get enough space - and that will create a problem with the screens.

MeSteve 08-21-2018 10:18 AM

Could you try coating it in an epoxy or resin? You’d still have to paint it because they’re non-UV stable But you might get a few more years out of it.

BradnKaren 08-21-2018 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 4358750)
Pic attached - sidewise. I don't expect it to last much longer. Painting it - waited to long. Now thinking about some kind of sticky back material that I can cut to fit. Might hold it together another season. BTW folks - it is not an easy project to take the slider out. Normally would just lift it up till bottom clears track. Can't lift high enough. Looks like it will be necessary to remove edge screws on one end to get enough space - and that will create a problem with the screens.

We have the exact same plastic cover on the screen door of our 2017 Challenger. I would contact Thor and ask them for the contact information for the distributor of the screen door, or how you might acquire that part.

BradnKaren 08-21-2018 11:45 PM

Or try this?

https://www.prvparts.com/product-p/4701-00.htm

Hit_the_Rhod 08-22-2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradnKaren (Post 4360014)

Wow! comparing the web link above to the pic of the cracked one and it looks like BradnKaren NAILED it! Gotta LOVE this site!:dance:

sbleiweiss 08-22-2018 07:31 AM

Yup, was too early in the morning. Of course we have that thing too. I haven't noticed ours being cracked, but will look next time I am there. Of course we aren't full time in sunny places like Florida and Colorado. I hope Thor can help.

ctpres 08-22-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradnKaren (Post 4360014)

Thanks I found those. Seems to be a few of those but that is right hand. Look close and you can see that it is reversed. Challenger needs left.

Sanford 08-23-2018 06:11 AM

clear Flex tape would hold it for a good while.

ctpres 08-27-2018 07:56 AM

A New Problem?

Horn quit working. Quick under hood check and found disconnected ground wire. More looking and found bottom of front cap attached to frame with telescoping tubes . Bolt size hole in larger tube and sheet metal screws to lock tube together. Two sheet metal screws on each side. ONLY ONE SCREW LEFT! Heads all sheared off. Last one to go was also horn ground. I can not imagine why screws were used unless it is supposed to be a form crash protection. Would some of you look to see how your tubes are secured together. I am inclined to use bolts but will use screws again if it is supposed to be that way. If it is supposed to be screws - this would be a good thing to add to your under hood check list.

BradnKaren 08-28-2018 06:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 4360529)
Thanks I found those. Seems to be a few of those but that is right hand. Look close and you can see that it is reversed. Challenger needs left.

The picture in the listing is deceiving. It's shown at an odd angle. First picture is from the ad. Second picture is of mine, taken from a similar perspective. I'm going to order one. As you can see I have a dog who likes to scratch to get out and has already scratched ours up. :facepalm:

ctpres 08-28-2018 07:41 AM

BradnKaren Good catch. Just ordered one Ebay $35.00 free ship and no tax. Should be here by 9/1. Next problem is getting old one out. Link to Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/4701-00-Dex...0AAOSwBWJbUVLc

Thank You!

Frankc643 10-05-2018 11:28 AM

Hey don't know if anyone else has had any issues with the puck lights in the bedroom. Mine got to flickering then not working at all. Found out that it was a ground problem under the bed in the box of wires. The ground wire was inserted too deep on a buss where it barely penetrated that insulation for ground. Obviously when I turned on reading lights all lights would go out. Too much of a load I guess. So if anyone has any issues, that would be a good place to look. I couldn't find anything online. Just sharing what I found.

sbleiweiss 10-06-2018 08:09 AM

Many of us have had a different problem with them, and not just on Thors. There was a bad batch of those LED puck lights. We have replaced 7 of 17 so far. They flickered just like you describe, but not just in one room. Random throughout motorhome. This is the first I have heard of your ground issue.

WillfromRI 10-13-2018 09:29 AM

Best Toad for Challenger

I just finished reading an 8 page thread on toads that spent more time arguing about brake systems...I am more interested in a consensus from Challenger owners about towing behind your MH. I don't think it helps much to hear what DP owners tow.

Maybe also any cautionary tales about toads that did not work so well...and if anyone uses a tow dolly.

:thumb::popcorn:

Webman9113 10-14-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 4436476)
Many of us have had a different problem with them, and not just on Thors. There was a bad batch of those LED puck lights. We have replaced 7 of 17 so far. They flickered just like you describe, but not just in one room. Random throughout motorhome. This is the first I have heard of your ground issue.

Two of the puck lights in the kitchen started flickering on our last trip, so they went on the list of things for the RV shop to fix...

Webman9113 10-14-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillfromRI (Post 4448065)
I just finished reading an 8 page thread on toads that spent more time arguing about brake systems...I am more interested in a consensus from Challenger owners about towing behind your MH. I don't think it helps much to hear what DP owners tow.

Maybe also any cautionary tales about toads that did not work so well...and if anyone uses a tow dolly.

We’ve towed a CR-V, a Jeep (which is what we have now), and a Toyota Solara on a dolly. It’s not a question of which toad is best; I think it’s more which car you like that you can tow. MH Magazine has an annual dinghy guide that lists the cats you can tow four down or on a dolly. You’ll take a hit on mileage, of course, and in acceleration. But IMHO the latter isn’t very noticeable - we’ve pulled the CR-V and Jeep all over the country, including to Vale along I-70, and have never had any problems. About he dolly, I hated it, but other people swear by them. Just don’t expect to blast up the hills, and make sure you gear way down before taking any downhill grades, and get a good auxiliary brake (we use the RVi 3). 😎

Webman9113 10-14-2018 07:07 AM

Cleaning the inside windshield

Okay, does anybody have a trick for cleaning the inside of the windshield? We’ve got a bunch of kitty paw prints I need to make disappear, lol!

Glenn2 10-14-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

2017 Challenger 37YT with 2017 Ford Focus SEL (2.0L with auto transmission).
A good combination. The negative is how low the tow bar is because of the base plate (Demco). Tried dolly towing but did not care for laying in the dirt to secure the vehicle to the dolly. Also use the RVi3 brake system.

opcop 10-14-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 4449215)
Okay, does anybody have a trick for cleaning the inside of the windshield? We’ve got a bunch of kitty paw prints I need to make disappear, lol!

I use the green windshield wash fluid with bug remover. I buy a gallon at Walmart for about $2.97. Put in a sprayer and do all your windows. Works great for me.

opcop 10-14-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

I use to flat tow an older Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD, but I now flat tow a Lincoln MKX AWD. It tows very easy.

ajfarmer 10-14-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

We flat tow a 2015 Ford Focus. Super easy to set up for 4 wheel flat towing - just follow simple instructions in the owners manual. I believe most modern Ford vehicles are this way. Blue Ox Aladdin bar and Blue Ox baseplate. Had the Blue Ox Patriot brake controller for the past 3 years, but always a bit of a hassle with it. One trip the wire popped out for the breakway trigger causing the brakes on the toad to lock up until I could pull over and reset it. On 50% of trips the Patriot would throw a random code about brake timeout or similar also causing a pull over and reset. I just sold it a few months ago and switched to the Ready Brake and couldn't be happier. Entirely mechanical system and so far working flawlessly.

Glenn2 10-14-2018 12:28 PM

2017 Thor Challenger 37YT equipped with a standard Xantrex 1800 inverter.
Under warranty (Thor and Xantrex) I have replaced three of the inverters, all with the same issue. Turn the unit on from the remote panel and it displays battery voltage and 0 amps. The residential fridge is on. The remote display still shows 0 amps. In less than three hours (length of time is random) the inverter shuts off with no alarm and of course a/c is lost. The wiring and battery cables have been verified, the battery bank is new (4 Trojan T105's) and my bluetooth BMI battery monitor shows ample voltage and SOC. The alternator is charging the house batteries. I am concerned about heat soak and possible inverter chassis ground. Could someone with with a 37YT please let me know where their inverter is mounted. Mine is in the basement storage compartment next to the generator and while facing the compartment, in the upper left corner. I just can't believe I am the only one with this problem.

logalinipoo 10-15-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn2 (Post 4449687)
2017 Thor Challenger 37YT equipped with a standard Xantrex 1800 inverter.
Under warranty (Thor and Xantrex) I have replaced three of the inverters, all with the same issue. Turn the unit on from the remote panel and it displays battery voltage and 0 amps. The residential fridge is on. The remote display still shows 0 amps. In less than three hours (length of time is random) the inverter shuts off with no alarm and of course a/c is lost. The wiring and battery cables have been verified, the battery bank is new (4 Trojan T105's) and my bluetooth BMI battery monitor shows ample voltage and SOC. The alternator is charging the house batteries. I am concerned about heat soak and possible inverter chassis ground. Could someone with with a 37YT please let me know where their inverter is mounted. Mine is in the basement storage compartment next to the generator and while facing the compartment, in the upper left corner. I just can't believe I am the only one with this problem.

2016 37kt
my inverter pannel has never shown accurate voltage or amp draw. I use a Victron bmv700.

would you elaborate on numbers a little bit more.

what is your total battery capacity, I'm guessing about 450ah. i have 650 I try to never Use more than 400.

what size cables do you have between your batterys? I ran 3/0 welding cable.

are you using your ice maker, mine can draw as much as 100 amps when it is dumping the ice. I do not use the ice maker unless I have power. also I drive with my fridge on full cold but put the dials straight up when I don't have power.

what amperage and voltage is your battery monitor showing that you say is adequate? also what's your amperage draw at that time.

how many dc charging amps are you getting from the alternator? when I'm 300 amps down I can get over 100 amps charge for a while. at 140 amps down(what I use on an average night) I get about 45 amps charge from the alternator.

how much dc amps draw do you normally see when you aren't charging. I normally average about 26 when we are awake, watching tv and stuff. 5 to 8 when we are sleeping.

Vinster30 10-16-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

We have a Jeep Patriot that we use as our toad. The size and weight are prefect for our Challenger. The coach handles better with the toad behind than without. I believe it is the tail on the kite effect.

I would pick a vehicle that you prefer, with the lowest amount of weight and suitable for flat tow.

Rascal55 10-17-2018 10:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some modifications we have done to the cabinetry of our 2013 Challenger KT

Glenn2 10-17-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logalinipoo (Post 4451763)
2016 37kt
my inverter pannel has never shown accurate voltage or amp draw. I use a Victron bmv700.

would you elaborate on numbers a little bit more.

what is your total battery capacity, I'm guessing about 450ah. i have 650 I try to never Use more than 400.

what size cables do you have between your batterys? I ran 3/0 welding cable.

are you using your ice maker, mine can draw as much as 100 amps when it is dumping the ice. I do not use the ice maker unless I have power. also I drive with my fridge on full cold but put the dials straight up when I don't have power.

what amperage and voltage is your battery monitor showing that you say is adequate? also what's your amperage draw at that time.

how many dc charging amps are you getting from the alternator? when I'm 300 amps down I can get over 100 amps charge for a while. at 140 amps down(what I use on an average night) I get about 45 amps charge from the alternator.

how much dc amps draw do you normally see when you aren't charging. I normally average about 26 when we are awake, watching tv and stuff. 5 to 8 when we are sleeping.

Logalinipoo,
You have given me a lot to look at and thanks for your input.

WillfromRI 10-19-2018 07:20 AM

Good Morning Challenger owners...are any of you all going to get together again at the 2019 Tampa RV show? I started my research into Challengers around the time you were planning for last year's show. We live in Newport, RI...so taking a trip to Tampa in January sounds like a good idea and getting to meet some of the smiling faces in your get together photo would be a bonus. Anybody going?

sbleiweiss 10-20-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillfromRI (Post 4457721)
Good Morning Challenger owners...are any of you all going to get together again at the 2019 Tampa RV show? I started my research into Challengers around the time you were planning for last year's show. We live in Newport, RI...so taking a trip to Tampa in January sounds like a good idea and getting to meet some of the smiling faces in your get together photo would be a bonus. Anybody going?

They started that just about the time we moved the stick and brick to AZ. Just too far now for us. Sounds like great fun though.

MeSteve 10-20-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 4449215)

Dry swiffer with glass cleaner.

WillfromRI 11-05-2018 01:10 PM

Challenger Specs

I have a couple questions about Challenger demensions and manuverability...

1. When your slides are fully extended, how wide is the Challenger? On that same topic, do you ever stay in CGs that make that a tight fit?

2. Do you know what your unit's turning radius is? I am trying to plan for the minimal size area of land required to pull in and essentially make a u-turn. How wide would that have to be?

:popcorn::bow:

MeSteve 11-05-2018 01:29 PM

1: Some are tighter than others, but we’ve never been in one that we didn’t have enough room to all around and get set up, etc.

2: That answer is dependent on which GVWR chassis your floor plan has. You can find it in the F53 specs pdf.

WillfromRI 11-06-2018 06:32 AM

Challenger Turning Diameter (Curb-to-Curb)

Thanks MeSteve,

I was able to find the following spec pdf on line, but it only gives the turning diameter for the 228" whellbase and the LX has a 252" wheelbase.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...2018_ARLSD.pdf

Turning Dia. (ft.) (Curb-to-Curb) 60.6 (228" Wheelbase)

BTW, I do not own a Challenger, so I don't have my own .pdf to look at...but it is the model we like the best and hope to buy...just trying to prepare for how to set-up our home-base. We plan on going full-time but may stay in New England during the summer months. Trying to figure out the minimum lot size to make things easier if we decide to buy a small parcel with utilities...

:bow:

Dick & Pat 11-06-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 4245350)
Has anyone replaced there dash radio wit something better? Was it easy? Any special tools?

Thanks

KC

Yes, our Jensen went "black & no camera" after just a year. Can't remember name of new radio for sure, but it was $900. Does Access Audio sound right? Maybe that's the dealer name :facepalm: Dealer laughed when I said our Jensen went bad :laugh: Dealer installed the new one

Dick & Pat 12-05-2018 02:25 AM

Kinda Quiet Here !!

Everyone Must be Winterized :popcorn:

sbleiweiss 12-06-2018 08:21 AM

So what should we talk about? I am not winterized. The MH is in its garage for now, but recently returned from CA and will be going back soon. Also going to Phoenix for Billy Joel and then on to Tucson. Wow, is finding a four night stop in an RV Park in or near Pheonix in March ever a pain. So far haven't found one. Anyone want to share the month of March in Mesa?

Dick & Pat 12-06-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 4530933)
So what should we talk about? I am not winterized.

Unfortunately we are winterized, now for the second Winter in a row. Last year we cancelled our winter south, so my wife, who is not very mobile due to acute Spinal Steonsis, could get in to a therapy program to improve that mobility.

Then this past April she was diagnosed with two separate cancers (not related, though). So radiation from mid-Summer thru Fall, which at this point appear to be successful, has taken the "zap" out of her, so we're still in dry dock:sad:. If her follow up tests in January turn out OK, we hope to be on our way by February.

Enough about us.....What's everyone else up to ?? :confused::rolleyes:

Rascal55 12-11-2018 12:26 PM

Looking to replace Michelin 235/80R22.5 Tires with Toyo Tires. Have been reading that the M154 or M170's are well liked. What specific size are a good replacement for the Michelins on the Challenger?

sbleiweiss 12-12-2018 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal55 (Post 4538721)
Looking to replace Michelin 235/80R22.5 Tires with Toyo Tires. Have been reading that the M154 or M170's are well liked. What specific size are a good replacement for the Michelins on the Challenger?

Can't answer your question, but one thing to consider is that I have heard the Toro's sometimes stink, literally. May only matter if you garage it.

Rsapp 12-12-2018 04:39 PM

Not posting a reply But I have a question.

New inquiry: I Have a 15 Thor Challenger 37KT and I am looking into removing the carpet from the large Slide and replacing it with Laminate wood flooring to match the existing floor color. Has anyone here done this and if so what type of trim did you use to allow the slide floor to meet the coach floor evenly and will not get caught on the floor edge. I have researched this and there are some trims that would work but i want to use the best option and not miss anything.

Thanks in advance,

Russell Sapp

Thebigd123 01-10-2019 06:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Important heads up for all who tow!! We have a 2012 Challenger 37KT. The attached picture shows that the frame is failing and was almost catastrophic. We flat tow and have not exceeded mfg limits. Please check yours for your safety and others!!

sbleiweiss 01-11-2019 07:12 AM

Well I was going to say it is nice to see some activity in this thread, but not this way. First I have heard of this problem.

TechNot 01-11-2019 08:21 AM

Scary. I am glad you caught it early. I would file an NHTSA complaint as this should never happen if towing within the allotted towing capacity. Thanks for bringing this to our attention which should remind everyone the importance of double checking everything periodically.

PattyP 01-12-2019 06:03 AM

Anyone going to the Tampa Florida RV show next week? We are going on Wednesday. It’s at the fairgrounds.

WillfromRI 01-13-2019 10:35 AM

We are arriving on Friday night...have granddaughter duty the beginning of the week, so we had to arrive late. DW and I are Challenger wanna be owners. Plan on taking the plunge spring 2020 about 9 months before I retire...We are hoping to go full-time for at least a year to see if we want to stay FT.

Will and Michele
Newport, RI
:dance::bow::thumb:

Jolimon 01-17-2019 11:35 AM

Upgrading

We are heading to the Boston RV show this weekend and likely going to upgrade from our 2018 Mallard 245 TT into a Challenger 37KT. Anything I should watch out for?

Glenn2 01-17-2019 08:28 PM

I hope you are just going to look.

Jolimon 01-17-2019 09:03 PM

Depends on what they have to say. I have been researching since we purchased the TT, this layout seems to have all we are looking for.

marcdohc 01-18-2019 05:10 AM

Dreams of a 37kt purchased in Boston.

I purchased a 2016 37kt brand new. After three years of ownership and 25000 MI, 20 visits to repair shops and approximately $10,000 invested in suspension, you might say I have a bit of knowledge.
Things to look out for,
chassis dog walk,
Hydraulic systems coming on by themselves while driving,
Big slide out cables scraping against small holes and snapping cables
Innverters is not operating properly
Water getting in exterior heat vent cover and allowing water to sit in the electronic board causing heat to come on constantly.
windshield wipers getting tangled up with each other
Shower leaking
Kitchen sink leaking
Window leaking
Shades falling off walls
Not nearly enough heat in the front room
Way too much heat in the bathroom
Dealing with the staff at Thor as your handed off from one expert to the next, Most of which now a lot less than I do.
I'm sure there's a few more things that aren't coming to mind, I have a list somewhere.
May I suggest either at Tiffin or Newmar.

Marc DeNardo Sr.
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

sbleiweiss 01-18-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolimon (Post 4593735)
We are heading to the Boston RV show this weekend and likely going to upgrade from our 2018 Mallard 245 TT into a Challenger 37KT. Anything I should watch out for?

We love our's. We agree it is the best floorplan for us. You will get the newer Ford tranny, which I hear is a big improvement.

BadgerRV 01-18-2019 07:37 AM

My DW and I looked at the 35MQ this week at the Tampa show. We absolutely love the layout and overall looks. In fact it's the only one DW likes. But I'm worried about the carrying and towing capacity. I have a 5500lb Ram 1500 and I'm afraid once I hook it up, there wont be any weight left to load the rig. Does anyone have any insight or experience on this? And I'm also a bit concerned about the Thor reputation and that we might encounter numerous quality issues. And experiences to share would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn2 01-18-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdohc (Post 4594732)
I purchased a 2016 37kt brand new. After three years of ownership and 25000 MI, 20 visits to repair shops and approximately $10,000 invested in suspension, you might say I have a bit of knowledge.
Things to look out for,
chassis dog walk,
Hydraulic systems coming on by themselves while driving,
Big slide out cables scraping against small holes and snapping cables
Innverters is not operating properly
Water getting in exterior heat vent cover and allowing water to sit in the electronic board causing heat to come on constantly.
windshield wipers getting tangled up with each other
Shower leaking
Kitchen sink leaking
Window leaking
Shades falling off walls
Not nearly enough heat in the front room
Way too much heat in the bathroom
Dealing with the staff at Thor as your handed off from one expert to the next, Most of which now a lot less than I do.
I'm sure there's a few more things that aren't coming to mind, I have a list somewhere.
May I suggest either at Tiffin or Newmar.

Marc DeNardo Sr.
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Marc,
I have a Xantrex 1800 inverter that drops out after a random period of time. I am on my third one (all replaced by warranty). I am convinced the Xantrex can't carry the load of a residential fridge. I'm going to try placing a 12v fan close to the inverter to see if heat might be an issue. I did notice the 2019 Challengers have a different brand. Wonder if they are higher wattage.

PattyP 01-18-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolimon (Post 4593735)

We have a 37KT Challenger. They didn’t have one at the show. We have had ours a couple of years now. The things we don’t like are: shower too small, bedroom has no room to get around the bed even when slides are out, have had trouble with the big slide a few times, we traded loveseat bed for two recliners, unless you give up pantry, which I love! , you have no place to put washer/dryer, kitchen table is too close to bathroom door. We like the new FH. We can’t afford to upgrade now.

IrihRed 01-18-2019 09:05 AM

We also purchase a 2016 KT new, our experience was great, no drivability problems at all. Minor slide issues, along with minor warranty items we took care of at factory when passing through. Thor was great on the phone and I took care of all minor items myself. We were fulltime for 17 months 18k miles. Did add sumo to the suspension and made a big difference. Hope this helps.

Jolimon 01-18-2019 09:46 PM

Thank you for the responses. 2019 is the final year for the KT and they didn’t have any at the show. I spent quite a bit of time with the Thor rep on the 37YT. I now think that is a better fit for us. The L shaped couch would be very comfortable for movie watching. Getting closer to a final decision. What is everyone’s opinion on the extended warranty? They quoted me 6K for the 5 year warranty.

Tunes 01-18-2019 10:58 PM

Dash wires and vent

So today I removed the top plastic dash section over the drivers side on our 37KT. I am mounting a few mounts and running wires for a few of my electronics. Got tired of all of the wires and the clutter. Anyways, after removal I took a look around inside the dash and a few things. First there is a air/heat duct with a vent on the end of it just sitting inside the dash. I am guessing that its the driver side vent thats supposed to aim at the floor that was never mounted. The HDMI and USB port that is on the right of the steering wheel above the cab light, fan switches, the wires did’t go anywhere, they were just coiled up behind the dash. Any ideas where these are supposed to hook up to? Any idea where the air/heater vent is supposed to be mounted?
Every time I go to do something to upgrade my comfort on this coach I end up finding things that where never completed from the factory and have to do a lot more work just to make things right.

sbleiweiss 01-19-2019 08:27 AM

[QUOTE= What is everyone’s opinion on the extended warranty? They quoted me 6K for the 5 year warranty.[/QUOTE]

You don't need one, but if you want one wait until the factory warranty runs out and then buy one from the wholesale places. Someone will give you the correct cite to them.

marcdohc 01-19-2019 09:32 AM

Did you finish your job in time?

From what I understand it's like a big assembly line at Thor. As a worker you have a certain amount of time to get your job done. Based on the amount of things I found in my motorhome that were not completed, I would say Thor does not give the workers enough time.
One of the grossest things I found was underneath the head of my bed. The battery charger is under there, it's the size of a shoebox. It was lying at an angle sitting on top of a nest of other wires. The four screws that were supposed to be used to attach it to the floor we're rolling around in the compartment.
Couple of the other things were the heat vent under the dash not aimed at the driver's feet, it was just blowing up there under the dash and the wires were never connected to my cell phone charger ports. There was loose wires in the hydraulic compartment. Had I not caught it they would have draged under the RV. I'd rather pay an extra five grand and give these guys enough time to do that job.

KC 01-25-2019 02:45 PM

Hi gang, I have two Frozen house batteries:( I plan on pulling them out this weekend. I have a couple of questions:

Can I run the generator/RV motor with out house batteries?

Has anyone installed a shut off switch in the compartment that has the house batteries?

Can I install larger batteries?

Thanks KC

Tunes 01-25-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 4606113)
Hi gang, I have two Frozen house batteries:( I plan on pulling them out this weekend. I have a couple of questions:

Can I run the generator/RV motor with out house batteries?

Has anyone installed a shut off switch in the compartment that has the house batteries?

Can I install larger batteries?

Thanks KC

Your generator runs off the house batteries

RV motor off of the coach motor battery

From the factory your coach came with two 6 volt batteries but has room to install 4 total. You will have to do a few more connections

One of my next mods on my list is to install a proper battery discount switch

Check your Wofo charger that Thor installs and make sure it working properly. Mine was not so I upgraded to a Progressive Dyn and get yourself 4 Trojan T 105 batteries and make sure you check your water level monthly and you should be good

Frankc643 01-31-2019 09:16 AM

Hello fellow owners. I have a question for the masses. I recently purchased new switches for the electric awnings. One worked without issues. The other only retracts the awning. When I use the Rapid remote, I am able to extend and retract the problem awning. Any ideas? I tried flipping the switch upside down and reconnecting. I double checked my photo to make sure connections were the same as previous switch. I'm at a loss here. Got a request to JR Products for possible answers. I'm thinking possible failed switch. Thanks for any help.

Frankc643 02-10-2019 02:33 PM

Just a quick update on the awning switch issue. After searching wires, I located a cut thin wire where the power goes from sharp base and into the awning seam to the motor. Wire was very tight from aluminum tube to awning causing friction to cut the wire. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. After correcting the issue with a spliced wire and adding some slack, I was able to properly extend and retract.

djwatts 03-11-2019 06:23 AM

Slide-out Fluid

I have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37TB. Just parked it in my driveway after picking it up from service at Camping World. It rained really hard for several hours. When I got in it the next day, there was a brownish liquid all over the floor. Looks like it was running out from under the sofa and dinette which is on a slide. The liquid was very tough to remove.

Is this hydraulic slide fluid? Does this signify a leak in the slide motor? Any ideas on how to identify where the leak is happing and how to fix?

djwatts 03-11-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwatts (Post 4672168)
I have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37TB. Just parked it in my driveway after picking it up from service at Camping World. It rained really hard for several hours. When I got in it the next day, there was a brownish liquid all over the floor. Looks like it was running out from under the sofa and dinette which is on a slide. The liquid was very tough to remove.

Is this hydraulic slide fluid? Does this signify a leak in the slide motor? Any ideas on how to identify where the leak is happening and how to fix?

Actually, now that recall, before I took it to CW, there was a puddle of hydraulic fluid the ground under that slide. I reported as a leveler issue which I am having as well.

djwatts 03-11-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwatts (Post 4672259)
Actually, now that recall, before I took it to CW, there was a puddle of hydraulic fluid the ground under that slide. I reported as a leveler issue which I am having as well.

This is a Schwinteck system. So, does it even have hydraulic fluid or could the leak be something else. If it's the levelers, why would it leak in the cabin?

djwatts 03-12-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwatts (Post 4672513)
This is a Schwinteck system. So, does it even have hydraulic fluid or could the leak be something else. If it's the levelers, why would it leak in the cabin?

Update- leak inside the coach was not hydraulic fluid. It was greazy water from the slide. Must be leaking through the seals.

sbleiweiss 03-12-2019 09:22 AM

My 14 1/2 KT doesn't have hydraulic slides; all electric.

djwatts 03-12-2019 12:07 PM

Headlight Short

When I hit a bump in my 2015 37TB, the camera flickers, the high beam indicator on the dash flickers, and the headlights flicker. CW said they found a loose connection in the back-up camera and fixed it but could not reproduce the headlight issue. However, on my way home from CW the headlights are still doing the same thing. The high beam indicator does this even if the headlights are off.

Any clue where this short might be located?

camaromance 03-13-2019 05:42 AM

Inverter location

I have a 2012 37KT. Does anyone know where the inverter is located? Not the converter. I know where that is. I accidentally plugged a space heater into one of the inverter outlets and tripped the breaker on the inverter. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find it. Thanks.

sbleiweiss 03-13-2019 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=However, on my way home from CW the headlights are still doing the same thing. The high beam indicator does this even if the headlights are off.

Any clue where this short might be located?[/QUOTE]

The short is in your navigation system. It took you to the wrong repair shop.

sbleiweiss 03-13-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 4675438)
I have a 2012 37KT. Does anyone know where the inverter is located? Not the converter. I know where that is. I accidentally plugged a space heater into one of the inverter outlets and tripped the breaker on the inverter. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Aren't they part of the same unit?

camaromance 03-13-2019 10:15 AM

I don't think so. I have the intelli-power PD9100 converter and the WFCO WF-600 inverter with the remote button option. The owner's manual for the inverter looks nothing like the converter. I asked Thor and they said its in a stow on the drivers side. Nope...found the leveling control sensor and the slide controller but nothing that resembles an inverter.

djwatts 03-13-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 4675719)
The short is in your navigation system. It took you to the wrong repair shop.

True, but when you pay $2995 for a 7 year extended warranty at CW, makes sense to take it there.

I found the post from fluffybunny that had the same issue. PM'd them and they said it was a grounding issue. I found the ground wire that was loose and sure enough it was causing them to flicker as I wiggled it. Tightened it down and no more flickering.

JnT 03-14-2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwatts (Post 4674424)
When I hit a bump in my 2015 37TB, the camera flickers, the high beam indicator on the dash flickers, and the headlights flicker. CW said they found a loose connection in the back-up camera and fixed it but could not reproduce the headlight issue. However, on my way home from CW the headlights are still doing the same thing. The high beam indicator does this even if the headlights are off.

Any clue where this short might be located?

I had the same problem with our 2015 37TB. Check the ground connection on the driver's side where the front cap posts connect to the chassis. They are horizontal. Our loose ground was due to Thor's use of self tapping screws for these front cap connections.... one of which was also the ground wire connection. Drilled new holes all the way through and put in stainless bolts to replace the self tappers. Sorry but we are about 4 hours away from our rig or I would be able to provide a pic too.

Hit_the_Rhod 03-14-2019 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwatts (Post 4676027)
True, but when you pay $2995 for a 7 year extended warranty at CW, makes sense to take it there.

I found the post from fluffybunny that had the same issue. PM'd them and they said it was a grounding issue. I found the ground wire that was loose and sure enough it was causing them to flicker as I wiggled it. Tightened it down and no more flickering.

Perhaps you should contact the CW shop that attempted to accomplish the repair and ask them for your money back on your extended warranty, as IRV2 users appear to know more than their techs do . . . :D

Glad you found the problem!

Rascal55 03-14-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

I have the 2013 KT, and the inverter is behind door #4 (going front to back). This is the narrow door between the battery compartment and the generator.

Tunes 03-14-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

On our 2016 KT it is located on the drivers side second garage door back from the front on the vertical wall separating the 2nd and third garage bays.

jeanluc001 05-13-2019 10:31 AM

hello
I have a 2013 37kt also.I traced the remote wire to the inverter to the space under the head of the bed.have not unscrewed the bed plywood to look underneath.but have looked everywhere else.hoping it's there.

KC 05-13-2019 11:59 AM

Hello all, I need to reset a error message on my leveling jacks on my 37KT. It is a 2015.5.

Thanks

Kevin

Sanford 05-14-2019 10:10 AM

Reset level error

Try pressing the retract button and enter button at the same time.

KC 05-19-2019 12:29 PM

Inverter question

Hello all, went camping this weekend, had fun but on the way home tried to turn the inverter on for the fridge and nothing, the switch did nothing. Went out and check inverter and the pop up fuse was still set. Any thoughts?

sbleiweiss 05-20-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 4780202)
Hello all, went camping this weekend, had fun but on the way home tried to turn the inverter on for the fridge and nothing, the switch did nothing. Went out and check inverter and the pop up fuse was still set. Any thoughts?

This hasn't happened to me and I don't have ideas, but call Thor. They are good at answering this kind of question.

KC 05-20-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 4781562)
This hasn't happened to me and I don't have ideas, but call Thor. They are good at answering this kind of question.

They said, good luck, and sorry:(

KC

Glenn2 05-20-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 4781570)
They said, good luck, and sorry:(

KC

The Xantrex inverter is a vendor item. It does have a two year warranty but I'm pretty sure you are past two years.

I have/had the same problem with the 1800w inverter and running the residential fridge. The most, depending on the ambient temperature, the inverter would run was about 3-4 hours before shutdown/failure. My problem started at purchase and Xantrex replaced three inverters before I asked for an even trade for a Freedom 2000w. I don't know if it will work yet. I use my generator to power the fridge and AC's now.

MeSteve 07-08-2019 02:14 PM

Has anyone figured out how to reduce the 3-4 second delay on the side cameras when using turn signals?