iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

JohnG2013KT 04-24-2013 08:43 PM

Genuri continued ... lol

Ok .. I stopped by CW on I4 at the Lazy Days site . WOW .. A huge store .. I bought the basic package ... In less than 5 minutes had it installed .. It looks like it technically clears the roof by 6 inches .. But I think that I will order an extension from Camco ..... just to get it above the vents.

One concern is the kitchen window? Unfortunately the pipe goes right next to the kitchen window?? My plan is to just let it push out from the side 18" or so ... to vent away from the RV ...

Also, if you've looked at the video on the CAMCO site ... the double sided hooks that they reference are not part of the pkg ... duh!! Going to Lowes tomorrow at lunch to get some suction cups . Not to keen on riveting anything to the side of my RV ..

All in all .. The unit looks like it will work and should allow us to run the gen set at night in Talladega .. ?

BTW .. The guys at CW had no idea about an extension? .. Is this normal for CW ... Everytime I ask something out of the ordinary, no one seems to know anything?

John

bdickson 04-25-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1543776)

BTW .. The guys at CW had no idea about an extension? .. Is this normal for CW ... Everytime I ask something out of the ordinary, no one seems to know anything?

John

The only people I've found who can help in CW are the Service Advisors. Sometimes they'll come out from behind the desk and answer questions. The retail store staff are just cashiers and shelf stockers. They have no clue what they are selling.

I found a dealership in Fort Worth TX called United RV. They have a huge accessory store with very knowledgeable people. The name on their catalog is Route 66, and I think there may be other Route 66 parts stores inside RV dealerships. Anyone else seen them?

camaromance 05-16-2013 05:04 PM

John, how was Talladega?

JohnG2013KT 05-17-2013 10:06 AM

Talladega ..

We had a fantastic time .. in spite of the monsoon and cold temps !!! ...

Our parking spot was terrific .. Close by the restrooms/showers .. and only a 10-15 minute walk to our seats .. right on the start / finish line ..

Our first stop was in Albany, GA at the Albany RV Resort .. nice folks and plenty of room for a novice to maneuver ... As this was my first time to rollout the awnings .. I immediately screwed that up .. all I remembered from the walk-thru was to grab the strap and walk to the end .. ? .. So I did and let go .. and the awning rolled up .. along with the strap!!!! .. ouch!! ... I borrowed a ladder and was able to unravel my mess .. ha.. ha... learned my lesson the hard way ...

The drive to Talladega from there .. was uneventful .. and as mentioned above, our camping spot in 'Winners Walk II' was just perfect ..

As for the racing .. well .. even with the long delays and rain it was great .. NASCAR did a good job of getting the race in ...

I do have one question .. (I will be the first to admit, that I am not the greatest driver .. ok .. my wife will say that I am a terrible driver, my mind tends to wander.. :whistling:) .. I felt like the RV was swerving all over the road? .. Granted it was raining and windy ..But I seem to have to saw the wheel back and forth all day long? .. At times, on certain sections of I75 it was better, but not anything like driving my pickup ..?

Is this normal? Just something that comes with the program?

John

camaromance 05-17-2013 04:47 PM

John, glad to hear you had a great time. I missed the last hour...stupid DVR.

My previous RV was a 31' class c and I thought it drove horrible. To me, my KT drives like dream in comparison. But as you pointed out, it can be a handful. The wind does push it around if its blowing hard. I think as you get more time behind the wheel, you'll figure out what works. For me, I don't think I will ever become totally relaxed, not like when driving a car. But considering its 38' long, as wide as it is, that's probably a good thing. It certainly does not drive itself and requires constant correction depending the condition of the roads, traffic and weather. You have to drive it.

So did you get a full hookup at the track? Were you able to run your gen-set at night? Just curious.

mavric65 05-18-2013 07:08 PM

Well i went to a local RV show today and looked at the 37DT and loved it they had it marked down to 104000 but i think they may go a little lower does anyone know what the lowest price one could get this unit for.. This thing had everything except dual pane windows and it even had a 1800 watt inverter .... Really thinking of upgrading in the near future but my coach has had near zero issues since new and would hate to get a new one with a bunch of problems but i know its a crap shoot...
Feel free to chime in everyone
Thanks

bdickson 05-18-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavric65 (Post 1572394)
Well i went to a local RV show today and looked at the 37DT and loved it they had it marked down to 104000 but i think they may go a little lower does anyone know what the lowest price one could get this unit for.. This thing had everything except dual pane windows and it even had a 1800 watt inverter .... Really thinking of upgrading in the near future but my coach has had near zero issues since new and would hate to get a new one with a bunch of problems but i know its a crap shoot...
Thanks

Not sure about the DT but my 2013 37GT cost me $105,900 so you are in the ballpark. I think they all come with the 1800 watt inverter now. Mine does have dual pane windows which really do make a difference. Not sure where you are loocated, but check out Texas RV Dealer, Used RVs for sale, motorhome sales, new RVs in Alvarado Texas. Their prices are unbeatable. You do have to call for the lowest price though. My 37GT was advertised at $117,500 on the website but when I called they gave me the lower price. Ask for Rodney, he is very easy to deal with.

ronny 05-19-2013 11:07 AM

We also purchased a gt from mhsp about the same price. our salesman was Buck. No hassle and great people. When we get ready for another coach will go back

TXBart 05-19-2013 11:25 AM

We also bought from MHSRV. Our salesman was Lance. Their sales staff is salaried, they do not work for commission so listen more to your wants and needs and not trying to make big bucks pushing you into more than you need, want or can afford.

Their service department is pretty limited; delivery prep and some warranty issues. They couldn't do anything with my alignment issue but eventually referred me to someone that took care of it. They have plans to expand their service department in the near future.

I would buy from them again.

bdickson 05-19-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBart (Post 1573072)
We also bought from MHSRV. Our salesman was Lance. Their sales staff is salaried, they do not work for commission so listen more to your wants and needs and not trying to make big bucks pushing you into more than you need, want or can afford.

Their service department is pretty limited; delivery prep and some warranty issues. They couldn't do anything with my alignment issue but eventually referred me to someone that took care of it. They have plans to expand their service department in the near future.

I would buy from them again.

We would also buy from them again without hesitation. They are also expanding their offices, they have acquired the disused cinema next door. Must be a successful business, our salesman pointed out the owner driving by in his brand new Rolls Royce.

TXBart 05-19-2013 05:10 PM

Don't know if you noticed but their business fleet is all new Cadillac Escalades. I counted 14 one day with MHSRV licenseplates.

bdickson 05-19-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBart (Post 1573440)
Don't know if you noticed but their business fleet is all new Cadillac Escalades. I counted 14 one day with MHSRV licenseplates.

Yes, when we bought our first MH from them they picked me up at DFW airport in an Escalade. Apparently if you are buying a $2 million bus conversion you get met at the airport with the Roller.

sbleiweiss 05-19-2013 08:45 PM

Another New Challenger DT

We bought a new DT too. Had the same issue with heat registers, but did find an adjustable 2 X 10. So I only replaced the toilet register. We have had several other problems, much bigger ones and weird ones. Not really happy with Thor because of these, but I must say they are doing what they can to correct. We have an appointment to take it to them in Elkhart next week. They are even putting us up in a hotel and renting us a car while they work on the MH. But get these problems:

No heat duct was installed under the drivers dash area. The space was left open and outside air blows in. Freezing!!!

The dinette slide has a god-awful rattle that is constant right behind the drivers head when moving.

The fiberglass seam between the front mask of the unit and the sidewall is coming apart. About a dozen screws have pulled out and about 18 inches of seam is open.

Pretty scary and shocking defects I think. Anyone else had anything similar?

opcop 05-21-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavric65 (Post 1572394)
Thanks

I have the same model, but it's a 2012 which I purchased last year at Giant RV in California on Memorial Day. They were asking $154,000, but I got it for $103,000. $104,000 sounds good, plus you're getting the 1800 inverter and mine is only 600. You can try to haggle a little more, but you're looking real good. FYI, have them through in and install valve extenders to the inside duals for easier tire inflation and through in Maxx Air vent covers over the 2 vents. If they will do that, then the $104,000 is a great deal. Good luck.

mavric65 05-21-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opcop (Post 1575632)
I have the same model, but it's a 2012 which I purchased last year at Giant RV in California on Memorial Day. They were asking $154,000, but I got it for $103,000. $104,000 sounds good, plus you're getting the 1800 inverter and mine is only 600. You can try to haggle a little more, but you're looking real good. FYI, have them through in and install valve extenders to the inside duals for easier tire inflation and through in Maxx Air vent covers over the 2 vents. If they will do that, then the $104,000 is a great deal. Good luck.

Thanks for the info i am talking with them now and they wont budge on the price and we are trying to work out a deal on our current coach for trade in.. We really love the floor plan and size of it and all the storage

DGShaffer 05-22-2013 06:07 PM

I traded an 08 Outlaw in on my DT and was happy with the deal I made. I was even able to get a washer dryer combo thrown in.

I bought mine from a CW in Jersey and they have been great with their willingness to see that all my PDI points were addressed. It's camping season now so the things they couldn't finish will wait until the end of summer.

I also had a squeaking in the dinette slide but found that spraying slide out rubber seal conditioner on the seals made it mostly disappear. I have almost 3k on it so far this season and have been happy with everything.

Their finance department made a boo boo and I got $1k in store credit to make me happy so I installed a dish TV tailgater and receiver. My dealership is top of the line as far as I'm concerned and this is my third Thor product so you know much I like the brand!

M72561 05-23-2013 11:03 AM

2014 37 kt

Kinda new to the whole RVing thing but my wife and I are getting ready to pick up our 2014 37 Kt and was wondering if anyone else had one. We bought a Holiday rambler 2012 alumalite 32sbd (was new) 3 months ago camped in it 4 nights total until DW saw the floor plan for the KT and had to have it since we will travel with friends. WE purchased the HR at 39% off retail so we are comfortable with the deal we worked out on this new unit. Any input on your favorite toad setup would be appreciated also

camaromance 05-23-2013 12:11 PM

We have 2013 37KT and love it. In fact, we'll be spending the holiday weekend in it. Heading into southern jersey for the weekend. Needed the NJ sticker for my map.

bdickson 05-23-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1578008)
We have 2013 37KT and love it. In fact, we'll be spending the holiday weekend in it. Heading into southern jersey for the weekend. Needed the NJ sticker for my map.

Yeah, we've taken some circuitous routes just to claim another state. Do you have any rules about this? Like having to stay overnight? Or at least stop for a meal? When I traveled all the time on business I had a rule that to claim a state I had to leave the airport. Layovers didn't count.

bdickson 05-23-2013 08:48 PM

Wrong thread.

DGShaffer 05-25-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1578008)

Where are you? We're in Freehold at Turkey Swamp Park! We'll be heading out to Belmar and Point Pleasant on Sunday

camaromance 05-26-2013 09:44 AM

Hey Don,

We're at wading pines till Monday.

camaromance 05-26-2013 09:48 AM

Bruce,
We have to stay overnight to get the sticker. Walmarts and truckstops count. Last year on our way to st Louis., I missed out on Indiana cause we drove straight through. Dems da rules.

bdickson 05-26-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1581176)
Bruce,
We have to stay overnight to get the sticker. Walmarts and truckstops count. Last year on our way to st Louis., I missed out on Indiana cause we drove straight through. Dems da rules.

Oh, you're tough! A meal stop is enough for us to count a sticker. We drove all the way up the east coast a couple of years ago and frequently did 3 or 4 states in a day.

DGShaffer 05-26-2013 03:36 PM

We just got in from a ride through Belmar, Point Pleasant, Toms River and Seaside. Although the tourist areas are getting back to normal, the outlying areas are still looking like a war zone. This was our first trip there since the day before Sandy came ashore. It's heartbreaking to see what those people have yet to endure.

Sorry I didn't get this earlier Jim or I would have taken the ride south. I hope you're enjoying your stay. Today's weather is spectacular!

bdickson 05-26-2013 06:02 PM

Got a question. Our 37GT has a 1600 watt inverter. When not on shore power or generator, the inverter powers the TV outlets, the cabinet with the bomb and DVD player, the outlet at the passenger seat and the bedroom TV and outlet below it. If I pull the shore power there is about a 2 second delay before these outlets get power from the inverter. But here's the thing: the transfer switch is only 2 way, not 3 way. And I pulled the access panel in the kitchen inside the cabinet below the wine rack, and there is a junction box labelled TV. It has one flexible rubber cable going to the slide bundle, and two solid copper 3 wire cables. All 3 whites, all 3 blacks and all 3 grounds are tied together. Does this mean that there is no transfer switch for the inverter, and it presumably just senses a loss of 120 and kicks in after a couple of seconds? What happens when shore power is restored? There must be a moment when both shore power and inverter power are going to the junction box, or am I missing something?

rvbunz 05-29-2013 07:38 PM

Well we are waiting on the final approval from the bank for financing on our new 2013 Challenegr 37DT. We are looking to trade in our 2003 Damon Challenger for the 2013 at Camping World Statesville, NC. Deal made just waitng on bank. They called yesterday to verify employment so that is a good sign. Hopefully we will pick it up by the weekend. Wish us luck.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger

rvbunz 05-29-2013 07:43 PM

bdickson,
I notice you have added additional steering and sway products to your coach. As I posted above we hope to pick up a new Challenegr this week end, and I currently have sway controls on my 2003 challenger. I called roadmaster to see if I could transfer the Davis Tru trac to the new coach and they said no need, new ford chassis already had trac bars. Did you find a need to add them to yours?

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger

camaromance 05-29-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1581507)
We just got in from a ride through Belmar, Point Pleasant, Toms River and Seaside. Although the tourist areas are getting back to normal, the outlying areas are still looking like a war zone. This was our first trip there since the day before Sandy came ashore. It's heartbreaking to see what those people have yet to endure.

Sorry I didn't get this earlier Jim or I would have taken the ride south. I hope you're enjoying your stay. Today's weather is spectacular!

No worries, Don. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet up before the seasons over.

We had great time. Wading Pines is on of the best campgrounds we've been to. Not that the facilities were great, they were good enough. It was the people. Everyone was awesome, the staff, the seasonal folks. Our new friend Mary Ann who camped behind us, she would not have anything to do with me buying wood from the camp store. She gave me some home-made starter candles and made sure we had more than enough wood for the fire. Truly awesome campers. Met a couple from Lancaster who were a couple of nuts, just like we are. What a great weekend. It was what camping is supposed be about.

bdickson 05-29-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1585568)
bdickson,
I notice you have added additional steering and sway products to your coach. As I posted above we hope to pick up a new Challenegr this week end, and I currently have sway controls on my 2003 challenger. I called roadmaster to see if I could transfer the Davis Tru trac to the new coach and they said no need, new ford chassis already had trac bars. Did you find a need to add them to yours?

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger

Bob, the Challenger on the F53 22,000lb chassis comes with a front track bar but not rear. I added the rear because I could feel a definite tail wagging. I replaced the sway bars because the Ford sway bars are inadequate and I have mixed opinions about the Cheap Handling Fix (Google it in IRV2).

DGShaffer 05-30-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1585562)
Well we are waiting on the final approval from the bank for financing on our new 2013 Challenegr 37DT. We are looking to trade in our 2003 Damon Challenger for the 2013 at Camping World Statesville, NC. Deal made just waitng on bank. They called yesterday to verify employment so that is a good sign. Hopefully we will pick it up by the weekend. Wish us luck.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger

Welcome to the thread. Good luck getting everything squared away for the new camping season.

After putting 30k on my 08 Outlaw and now just over 3k on my Challenger, I've learned how to handle my MH without adding all the sway control that others seem to and never felt like it needed it. It's a heavy top loaded box and I drive it that way. To each his or her own though.

TXBart 06-15-2013 06:18 PM

We are halfway through our first trip since my front end alignment issue (each wheel toe-in was off over 1.25"). We drove 1,707 miles the last 5 days. The difference in handling and road noise is amazing! It is much easier to control in wind and we hit some winds in eastern to central Wyoming day before yesterday up to about 50 mph! The mileage doesn't seem to be any better.

DGShaffer 06-17-2013 06:19 AM

I'm considering having a truck garage look at my 37DT. From what I've been reading, we all seem to have a significant lean towards the passenger side.

I noticed that during this last heavy rain that the seals on the drivers side slide are leaking and with the lean, the water ran over into the stair well. When I put it away on Sunday I deployed the levelers and got it leveled then threw in a little more lean towards that slide. I hope to avoid another soaking of the floor before I can get it back to the dealer for the repair

bdickson 06-17-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1607429)
I'm considering having a truck garage look at my 37DT. From what I've been reading, we all seem to have a significant lean towards the passenger side.

I noticed that during this last heavy rain that the seals on the drivers side slide are leaking and with the lean, the water ran over into the stair well. When I put it away on Sunday I deployed the levelers and got it leveled then threw in a little more lean towards that slide. I hope to avoid another soaking of the floor before I can get it back to the dealer for the repair

When I had my 37GT in at Hendersons for suspension work, they told me the coach was 2 inches lower on the passenger side. They could fix it by installing blocks between the springs and axles. Since they described it as "cosmetic" I didn't get it done as my bill was already over $6,000. So far, touch wood, I have had no leaking issues with the slides.

DGShaffer 06-17-2013 09:44 AM

I had a noise issue with my slide and the dealer shimmed it. I'm sure they created the leak as well.

Mine has to be leaning that same amount and from what our long lost friend John said early on in this thread, the remedy was as you describe.

EdBurnett 06-17-2013 03:29 PM

We just purchased our 37DT weekend before last. I didn't really put much thought to what my wife said to me this past week when she was following me and made the comment that she thought the MH was leaning slightly to the right. Now that Ive read these posts it has my attention now. We've experienced no leakage but My wife and I will be taking it back out this week and will have her follow me I. The CRV and record the MH on our dashcam.

camaromance 06-17-2013 07:52 PM

Is the lean common to only the DT models? I haven't noticed anything like that with my KT.

Is it obvious that there is an issue with weight distribution on the passenger side of the coach?

I haven't really paid attention but I would think that all of our MH's are laid out the same from the floor down. Meaning the tanks and stows are all the same.

If so, what would be causing so much weight on the passenger side?

DGShaffer 06-17-2013 08:12 PM

Doesn't your KT have a full wall slide on the drivers side?

camaromance 06-17-2013 08:25 PM

The full wall slide is on the passenger side along with the sofa slide. The only slide on the driver side is the tv/fireplace. My kitchen is on the drivers side, also. Maybe that evens out the weight distribution.

DGShaffer 06-18-2013 04:44 AM

It must be that your weight is more uniformly distributed. Eventually I'll contact Thor and see what they have to say.

I hope you're enjoying your summer!

EdBurnett 06-18-2013 09:05 AM

I'm definitely going to reassess my cargo bay for weight considerations. Not sure that my tools would cause that much shift but it's a consideration.
I have 3 slides. As you look at the rig 1 for table and L shape sofa plus TV on the right, 2 slides on the left. One for kitchen area plus fridge and back-room dresser slide out. But when pulled in and going down the road that shouldn't make it slightly lean towards the passenger side. I'll find out more this week when I bring the rig back over to the house.

DGShaffer 06-18-2013 09:26 AM

This is a weight issue related to the coach and not so much the weight in the bins. One user had the issue when the bins were empty as well so he had a truck shop add 1-1/2" spacers in between the chassis and suspension. The rig is well under the axle weight limits so it's not an overload condition.

If you speak with Thor before I do, let us all know what they say.

bdickson 06-18-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1608947)
This is a weight issue related to the coach and not so much the weight in the bins. One user had the issue when the bins were empty as well so he had a truck shop add 1-1/2" spacers in between the chassis and suspension. The rig is well under the axle weight limits so it's not an overload condition.

If you speak with Thor before I do, let us all know what they say.

Hendersons told me I needed 2 inch spacers, so it sounds like the same ballpark. I was loaded up but they did a 4 corner weigh and I was within 100 pounds on all 4 corners. The technician said that a slight list to one side is very common.

DGShaffer 06-19-2013 06:27 AM

To say that "it's very common" is something that I've noticed personally with all of the motor homes I've looked at. Slightly to the point of unnoticeable maybe but mine, and by the sounds of it yours, lean significantly.

To think that the 4 corners come in within 100 pounds of one another sounds odd. John posted earlier that he saw a 600 pound difference from right to left which sounds like it could cause an issue. I've only been able to weigh the front and rear so I can't say what mine weighs right to left

camaromance 06-19-2013 07:23 PM

If you added spacers to the suspension as suggested, I believe it would change how your coach handles. Maybe not much but it think installed spacers, especially on the front, would make the spring rates different. However, if there is a weight difference between the right and the left sides, that would cause weird things to happen when going over bumps at speed. Maybe spacers would cancel that out. I dunno, just trying to help.

DGShaffer 06-20-2013 06:21 AM

I'm with you on the spring rates but that's already the case as the suspension is already compressed. Adding the spacers would simply level the coach. Going around a left hand turns with the center of gravity already shifted to the right exaggerates the lean. I was hoping that by shifting the center of gravity back to center might improve the ride. Having said that, I'm happy with the ride and handling now, I just dislike the lean

camaromance 06-20-2013 08:39 AM

Unfortunately, all your weight from the kitchen and bathroom vanity is about as far from centerline as it can get. If 600lbs is truly the weight difference, that's really not that much ballast to spread around on the other side. Maybe get some lead stock and put 100lbs on the outside edge of each stow. You might could pour it to fit in the grooves on the bottom of the stow. Not sure how long that would last before the bottom of the stowage compartment started to separate, though

DGShaffer 06-20-2013 09:01 AM

I think you're right and although I like your creativity, floating a layer of lead into the storage bays might cause issues with the EPA. I could let a bunch of air out of the DS tires

camaromance 06-20-2013 10:49 AM

I see your point. Kinda goes against the whole "walk softly and leave nothing behind" us campers like to practice. Hope you have a big jack. You'll need it every few hundred mile when you rotate the tires.

It doesn't sound like it bothers you all that much, Don. Your used to leaning a little in the turns. Besides, leaning to one side is kinda cool. Just tell everyone you have a "Gary Cooper" suspension.

ronny 06-20-2013 01:27 PM

Fortworth to Myrtle Beach

We are planning a trip from FortWorth Tex to Myrtle Beach SC on I20. Any suggestions on where to spend nites. Figure 3 day travel

TXBart 06-20-2013 06:54 PM

I went to climb my ladder for the first time to install some vent covers and discovered over 50% of the screws holding the ladder on are sheared off. Looks like the factory has the torque setting on their screw guns set too high.

bdickson 06-20-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBart (Post 1612102)
I went to climb my ladder for the first time to install some vent covers and discovered over 50% of the screws holding the ladder on are sheared off. Looks like the factory has the torque setting on their screw guns set too high.

Mine has 3 sheared heads. Didn't notice it for some time after we left the dealer. Next time its in the shop for something else I'll get them replaced. 50% sounds like the ladder security would be compromised.....:eek:

TXBart 06-20-2013 09:41 PM

Top stanchions have 0 screw heads!

bdickson 06-20-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBart (Post 1612347)
Top stanchions have 0 screw heads!

I would NOT climb that ladder!

TXBart 06-20-2013 10:22 PM

Absolutely not! It will make it back to Texas though MHSRV is 43 miles from the house so I will drill them out and replace them myself.

okiefrank 06-21-2013 12:29 AM

Sheared screw heads

When we picked up our 37GT I noticed the screw heads missing on several ladder screws, I opened the compartment doors and some of the screws that hold the cylinder on the gadget that holds the door open were also sheared off. The dealer finally got them replaced. Must have been a bad torque day at the factory.

EdBurnett 06-21-2013 07:30 AM

Well looks like more things to check out today. I just converted half of the interior lights to LED, got the new tags on this week and getting ready to install our new Sleep Number bed in the back replacing the factory slab of concrete. Looks like a ladder trip today along with screw check on cargo bay doors. Oh joy :)

camaromance 06-21-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdBurnett (Post 1612623)
Well looks like more things to check out today. I just converted half of the interior lights to LED, got the new tags on this week and getting ready to install our new Sleep Number bed in the back replacing the factory slab of concrete. Looks like a ladder trip today along with screw check on cargo bay doors. Oh joy :)

Ed, where did you get your lights? What brand name are they? I haven't been able to find any. You are talking about the recessed lights in the ceiling, yes?

EdBurnett 06-21-2013 07:44 PM

For now I ended up replacing just the side lights because they get to hot. I bought six of them from ebay. Link below.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-RV-LED-S...9ea988&vxp=mtr

Next I'm looking at purchasing 10 4.4 puck lights for the interior as well as the small replacement of the RG921 bulbs that are in the other ceiling fixtures.
A little pricy so we're going to buy the pucks 6 at a time. Then see if we can purchase just 5 for with one as a spare.

JohnG2013KT 06-23-2013 08:06 PM

Doesn't instill much confidence in the quality control coming out of Thor these days ... I had one of the screws sheared off as well .. seems a simple qc issue ... they must of had the lowest paid worker installing the ladders .. BTW ... Thor ain't too happy with this forum ... The last time I called and mentioned that I had been talking with some guys on the web, the Thor rep said that . 'Well, you can't go by what those guys say ' ... ha... ha...

DGShaffer 06-25-2013 05:03 AM

This thread isn't here to bash anyone or any product but rather, just a place to come and share solutions to issues that we find. I'm sure the perfect RV hasn't been made yet, just look at any forum or thread. These things suffer as much stress rolling along the US highway system as a home sees in a CAT 4 hurricane. Things will go wrong and screws will shear and work themselves loose.

I'm on my 3rd Thor product and for the price point, I'm really happy with the product. When I find things wrong I put it on a list for my winter warranty work or I simply fix it myself as long as it won't void a warranty.

Personally, I love my Challenger 37DT. I picked it up in late February this year and have been camping in it 7 times already and have a trip planned for this weekend.

M72561 06-26-2013 08:25 AM

Thor products

I picked up my 2014 37kt a month ago and have been camping 3 times. I also have found a few minor things and feel that thor has been very helpful in sending out the parts so I can fix it myself.My bed room tv is defective and after a few rounds of talks with the manufacturer they are drop shipping me a new one since the closest thor dealer is about 75 miles away.I found out that the my coach has a adjustable front sway bar and a rear trac bar,the coach rides great but I am looking for input on a safety steer system for up front and any opinions if it's worth trying to enhance the ride elsewhere.All suggestions would be appreciated.

DGShaffer 06-26-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M72561 (Post 1619373)
I picked up my 2014 37kt a month ago and have been camping 3 times.

Congratulations on the new MH. Best of luck with it. I haven't had any direct dealings with Thor but I've heard of others having good experiences with them. My local dealer has been pretty good in handling my issues which required approval from Thor so I'm pretty happy there.

Unlike a lot of people that own large gas class A motor homes, I don't buy into the added handling fix. I drive it as it's supposed to be driven, understanding that it's a top heavy, wind catching box and I accept it. I let it sway and never had a problem. From what I know, when you try to stop a top heave box from swaying by locking up the axle, your inside wheel is getting light and your outside wheel is taking on that exaggerated load in a turn which creates another situation all together.

To each his or her own though.

TXBart 06-26-2013 09:20 AM

We are very happy with our 37GT, had it since March have spent over 30 nights in it and put over 9,000 miles on it.

I have had one dealing with Thor over front end alignment and they did very well by me. They said they appreciate feedback and ways to improve their quality control. Looks like a systemic issue with ladder screws; there is no torsion on them as the coach moves so it's obviously an issue of torque value set too high on the screw gun.

Screws, nuts, bolts, etc coming loose is the main reason I carry a cordless drill in the coach.

The coach is going to the dealer tomorrow with a list of about 14 items from ladder screws, to flat inflatable bed, to awning coming apart. I don't have any RV experience other than this one but I don't feel that is a bad list.

I would buy another Thor and would recommend it to a friend.

bdickson 06-26-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBart (Post 1619450)
We are very happy with our 37GT, had it since March have spent over 30 nights in it and put over 9,000 miles on it.

I have had one dealing with Thor over front end alignment and they did very well by me. They said they appreciate feedback and ways to improve their quality control. Looks like a systemic issue with ladder screws; there is no torsion on them as the coach moves so it's obviously an issue of torque value set too high on the screw gun.

Screws, nuts, bolts, etc coming loose is the main reason I carry a cordless drill in the coach.

The coach is going to the dealer tomorrow with a list of about 14 items from ladder screws, to flat inflatable bed, to awning coming apart. I don't have any RV experience other than this one but I don't feel that is a bad list.

I would buy another Thor and would recommend it to a friend.

We've had very similar experiences. Bought our 37GT in March and have full timed in it ever since. On day 2 away from the dealer the couch slide would not extend, it went out about a foot and started torquing. Thor tech support talked me through a few things and then had me take it to the closest dealer (CW in Albuquerque). They found the problem to be a screw that had backed out and was jamming the mechanism. Other than that, just a small water leak under one sink in the kitchen. We were nowhere near a dealer so Thor authorized me to take it to a non Thor dealer and send in the bill. I've done a few mods, most importantly I cut off the permanently wired 50 amp power cable and installed a twist lock connector because I hated having to drag 25 feet of power cord through the hole every time.

DGShaffer 06-27-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1619564)
I cut off the permanently wired 50 amp power cable and installed a twist lock connector because I hated having to drag 25 feet of power cord through the hole every time.

I'm almost there :thumb:

EdBurnett 06-27-2013 09:38 AM

Good idea. I was thinking about installing a small reel in the compartment that way all I have to do is free wheel it out and then crank it in when I'm preparing to go..

bdickson 06-27-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdBurnett (Post 1620649)
Good idea. I was thinking about installing a small reel in the compartment that way all I have to do is free wheel it out and then crank it in when I'm preparing to go..

That would be nice except I already used some of the space by installing a Progressive Industries voltage regulator and surge suppressor. Rolling up the cable is easy, I just unplug it and drop the end through the hatch.

DGShaffer 06-27-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1620656)
I just unplug it and drop the end through the hatch.

I think I'll be doing that soon. I also think the present cable is a bit on the short side. I think another ten feet bight help as well as a more pliable cable.

You da man Bruce!

bdickson 06-27-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1620974)
I think I'll be doing that soon. I also think the present cable is a bit on the short side. I think another ten feet bight help as well as a more pliable cable.

You da man Bruce!

In fact, I have ordered the pieces from CW to make up another power cable. I plan to use 4 core 6 gauge wire from Lowes or Home Depot. I made one up for my previous coach and it was lighter weight and much more pliable than the original. I will make it a 30 foot cable (I think the original is 25). I also ordered a spare female 50 amp connector to turn the original cable into an extension should I ever need it. Let me know if you need the part references.

TXBart 07-04-2013 04:52 PM

We just bailed out on Thor Challenger Owner unification and closed the deal to trade our Challenger on a new coach. We were very happy with our Challenger with the exception of climbing and a lot of our planned trips include a lot of mountains in the northwest and northeast.

sam72143 07-13-2013 01:40 AM

Airlift

I am new to the forum and bought my 37kt in January. Not a lot of miles on it yet but a lot of time in it. For the leaning issue on my 2013 37kt I put airlift under it. It helped a lot.:)

DGShaffer 07-13-2013 01:23 PM

Welcome to the thread and congratulations on the new KT.

Interesting. What does an airlift unit run and is it something a DIY guy can do? We've put 2k miles on our since late February and have camped out on 7 trips so far.

Other than air ride, have you added any other modifications?

Mike 1000 08-08-2013 07:27 AM

We took delivery of our 2013 Challenger 37DT yesterday. Some minor issues, but happy so far. After peak camping season is over, dealer will install new linoleum floor; original damaged by extension on L-shaped couch with collapsed wheel. Spent the day cleaning, as dealer's "detailer" did lousy job. Loading the coach today.
On advice of friend, I cut and varnished some 10"x10"/2" blocks of pressure treated wood to place under leveling jacks with holes in middle and a wooden rod with bolt through end to stick in holes in wood blocks to move them into position without reaching under rv. Next project is replacing tacky floor vents with vents pictured early in the thread (thanks for pics).
Then I will have to continue reading this thread to the end for other ideas and info. Thanks for great thread!

bigdonedmon 08-08-2013 07:36 AM

Mike, Pay attention to slide noise when you take it on the road. There is quite a few of us 2013 Challenger 37DT owners with this problem.....

DGShaffer 08-08-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 1000 (Post 1676640)
We took delivery of our 2013 Challenger 37DT yesterday. Some minor issues, but happy so far. After peak camping season is over, dealer will install new linoleum floor; original damaged by extension on L-shaped couch with collapsed wheel. Spent the day cleaning, as dealer's "detailer" did lousy job. Loading the coach today.
On advice of friend, I cut and varnished some 10"x10"/2" blocks of pressure treated wood to place under leveling jacks with holes in middle and a wooden rod with bolt through end to stick in holes in wood blocks to move them into position without reaching under rv. Next project is replacing tacky floor vents with vents pictured early in the thread (thanks for pics).
Then I will have to continue reading this thread to the end for other ideas and info. Thanks for great thread!

Ha! Mine had the same damage to the linoleum from the couch wheels! I have a laundry list of issues after just 3k miles but as you, I'm letting the list grow and just waiting until October so they can keep it there for a few months.

If you decide you don't like the externally mounted slinky tube, I have another replacement swing door that I made for mine. You can find photos earlier in this thread.

The noise noted in the slides has gotten quite less over time so hopefully its the new rubber on the paint and they'll all start to go away over time.

Good luck on your shake down trip!

camaromance 08-09-2013 09:14 PM

Hiya, Don. Hope your summer is going well. Hope your enjoying your new Mo-Ho and getting in all the camping you wanted the season. We will be in the Hagerstown at the KOA next weekend.

Mike 1000 08-09-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1676717)
Ha! Mine had the same damage to the linoleum from the couch wheels! I have a laundry list of issues after just 3k miles but as you, I'm letting the list grow and just waiting until October so they can keep it there for a few months.

If you decide you don't like the externally mounted slinky tube, I have another replacement swing door that I made for mine. You can find photos earlier in this thread.

The noise noted in the slides has gotten quite less over time so hopefully its the new rubber on the paint and they'll all start to go away over time.

Good luck on your shake down trip!

Thanks Don. I haven't tried to hook up the sewer hose yet. I'll keep your offer in mind in case my hose doesn't work with the tube. I saw the photos early in the thread; looks good.

Kathy and I have found some 2x10 floor registers online with dampers, so we will be doing that modification too. I also plan on checking the ladder screws for sheared heads and looking at the mirror door screws as well. Lots of good information here.

So far, we don't have a pronounced slide noise, but will watch for it.

We are south of you on the Maryland Eastern Shore.

DGShaffer 08-10-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1679207)
Hiya, Don. Hope your summer is going well. Hope your enjoying your new Mo-Ho and getting in all the camping you wanted the season. We will be in the Hagerstown at the KOA next weekend.

So far we've been really enjoying the Challenger. We've managed to get out most every other weekend and even met a couple that we've camped with on a couple of occasions. We're heading out to the Hershey show together next month so if you do make it out there we should grab lunch or something.

Mgoldfinger 08-10-2013 07:17 PM

Thanks for the info!

Hi,
My wife and I and our twin boys have had our Challenger 37DT since last June...
We really enjoy it and it makes for great family time.
We have added a sub woofer(under the sofa behind the storage drawer). It made a huge difference when watching a movie. We added a stabilizer to minimize any swaying when large trucks pass by...works great!
This is my first post so I thought I would mention. A few of the things we have done. I'll post some others soon.
Thanks

bdickson 08-10-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldfinger (Post 1680395)
Hi,
My wife and I and our twin boys have had our Challenger 37DT since last June...
We really enjoy it and it makes for great family time.
We have added a sub woofer(under the sofa behind the storage drawer). It made a huge difference when watching a movie. We added a stabilizer to minimize any swaying when large trucks pass by...works great!
This is my first post so I thought I would mention. A few of the things we have done. I'll post some others soon.
Thanks

My 37GT came with a Sony sound bar below the main TV and a subwoofer under the couch.

Mgoldfinger 08-11-2013 06:06 AM

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for mentioning the performance upgrades...I looked them up...
How do youlike the results of each od them? Are they worth doing?

rvbunz 08-11-2013 12:43 PM

I've been trying to find the photos of the trap door for the slinky tube replacement I believe that is what it is for. Can't seem to find them can the poster guide me to the right post?

Thanks

DGShaffer 08-11-2013 04:01 PM

Here is the post to the removal of the tube https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post1482886

And this is the latest revision using a backing plate and stainless steel hardware
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post1484091

Mike 1000 08-11-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1511042)
here are pictures of my solution.

I want to use your solution to getting the water hose out of the compartment with the door closed. Do you recall where you found the plastic piece with lid for the hole you drilled in the compartment floor?

bdickson 08-11-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 1000 (Post 1681823)
I want to use your solution to getting the water hose out of the compartment with the door closed. Do you recall where you found the plastic piece with lid for the hole you drilled in the compartment floor?

Electrical Cable Hatch - White - RV Designer B120 - Electrical Hatches & Outlets - Camping World

Mike 1000 08-11-2013 09:18 PM

Thanks, I just ordered 2 of them. :Thanx:

Mike

DGShaffer 08-12-2013 05:07 AM

That's a better solution if you want to retain the slinky tube.

Mike 1000 08-13-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1496412)
Don,

You should have an upper and lower grate access on the outside of your slide. The vent pipe runs vertical on what should be the right side behind those grates. It draws air in from the bottom and the vents out of the top grate. Even with just the lower grate removed, you should be able to see up the vent by contorting yourself and looking up the vent pipe or just use a mirror. The flame is nothing more than a pilot light. You probably know this already but, another place to keep an eye on is the vent for the water heater. Spiders and wasps can clog that up with their nests which can create a real problem. To prevent these things from happening, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought the set of three metal mesh sink strainers. Of the three sizes that are in there, two of them are the perfect size. One goes over the vent for the hot water heater, the other goes over the air intake for the engine. We turn on both the gas and electric at the same time to help recover the hot water n the morning. It works so well it's almost like one of those hot water generators. I leave my fridge running all season. Hell, in the summertime, I usually have more groceries in the camper than I do in the house.

Jimmy, I'm insect-proofing my 2013 Challenger DT now. I already have screens to keep insects out of the furnace and hot water heater and screens for the long openings in the refridgerator grates. Have you found a clever solution to screening the small openings on each side of the long openings in the refridgerator grates?:angel:

Mike 1000 08-13-2013 01:36 PM

Loving just about everything on our new 2013 Challenger 37DT, but sure wish the awning went out further from the coach. The one on my last RV, a Four Winds 25C, extended several feet further. Between the shortness of the one on the Challenger and the height of the awning above the ground, it doesn't seem like it will give us much protection from sun or rain. I can't think of any solution.

DGShaffer 08-13-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 1000 (Post 1684278)
Loving just about everything on our new 2013 Challenger 37DT, but sure wish the awning went out further from the coach. The one on my last RV, a Four Winds 25C, extended several feet further. Between the shortness of the one on the Challenger and the height of the awning above the ground, it doesn't seem like it will give us much protection from sun or rain. I can't think of any solution.

I also have a set of globe lights that I'll never see mounted on the awning of this thing either

camaromance 08-14-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 1000 (Post 1684278)

Not sure if you noticed but you can adjust the pitch of the smaller electric awning. If we're talking about the same awning, extend it a few inches and push in the buttons on the side of the awning arm while pushing up from the bottom of the same awning arm. It makes a difference, not a drastic one but maybe enough to meet your needs.

camaromance 08-14-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 1000 (Post 1684273)

Jimmy, I'm insect-proofing my 2013 Challenger DT now. I already have screens to keep insects out of the furnace and hot water heater and screens for the long openings in the refridgerator grates. Have you found a clever solution to screening the small openings on each side of the long openings in the refridgerator grates?:angel:

Sorry, no I haven't. I didn't put any screens over the fridge grates. Maybe some gorilla tape on the inside would work. I doubt those little vents will effect much if you tape them.

DGShaffer 08-15-2013 06:59 AM

I've located a place to get the 4 corners of mt 37DT weighed so I unload it tonight and then get it weighed in the "as delivered" condition. I've located a ford truck center with bays big enough to fit the MH so that they can propose a solution to the lean I'm seeing in my DT. If the weight comes in as an out of balance design I'm thinking Ford will claim this as the reason fo the lean. I'll let them fix it and deal with Thor for reimbursement. I have a November 18th service date out in Elkheart so that they can go over the coach and fix a leak in the DS slide that I feel was caused by my local CW when they tried to fix the squeaking noise.

I also have a laundry list of other things for them to go over. I've heard nothing but great reviews of the experience at the factory so I'm pretty excited to see the place.

I'll post my weights after I get them on Saturday so if any of you are seeing the same issue you may want to consider contacting Thor.

Two slides, dual door fridge, heavy counter tops, microwave, stove, fresh water tank, dual bathroom sinks, washer dryer, and propane tank all on one side?

sbleiweiss 08-16-2013 08:56 AM

My DT has all those things on the passenger side too, with no lean. I would note that I believe the freshwater tank extends all the way accross the coach even though it accesses on the passenger side.

I might disagree slightly with your assessment that Thor in Elkhart is so great. My DT is there now for the second time since buying in in April 2013. Everything that has been wrong with our unit could fill a horror novel, but for now let me jsut say that several things they supposedly fixed the first visit still need fixing now.

DGShaffer 08-17-2013 05:44 AM

I'll post my personal assessment after my appointment. For now I'll be going by the reviews which all seem to be spectacular. Even my dealer told me that if I could get out there to go because they've heard nothing but good things.

I'm getting it weighed this morning and I'm curious to see what the corner weights look like. I made a friend here with a 37DT that had a suspension shop install 1-1/2" spacers to compensate for the lean so I'll let me Ford Chassis shop propose a fix.

Sorry to hear about your issues though. I guess I'm fortunate.

DGShaffer 08-17-2013 10:48 AM

Well, she's been weighed and subsequently reloaded with all my traveling gear. I took this time to clean the bays, remove stuff I never use and make an effort to shift some weight right to left.

I have a friend that has a metal supply business so he has scales in his floor that weighs 10 ton steel coils. All I had to do was to maneuver each wheel over the scale. It's inside his building so it was a little tricky.

As I mentioned, I cleared out all the bays, filled the water tank 1/2 full, filled the gas tank and the propane is over 3/4 full. The refrigerator and cabinets were also empty.

Here are my weights:
Passenger side rear = 7320
Passenger side front = 3210
Drivers side front = 3440
Drivers side rear = 6300

The difference from the DS to the PS = 700 towards the PS
The difference from the DS rear to the PS rear = 930 towards the PS
The difference from the DS front to the PS front = 230 towards the DS

Front axle = 6,650 - minus 8k rating = 1350 under
Rear axle = 13,530 - minus 15k rating = 1470 under

Hopefully these corner weights may be of some us to other 37DT owners. As you can see, the passenger side was over built by 700 pounds but by 903 pounds on the rear wheels and this I would suspect is mainly due to the two slides but the propane tank, dual sinks, heavy counter tops and refrigerator surely out weight the leveling pump, batteries, and generator. I would suspect that the 230 over on the drivers side front is mainly due to the leveling pump and batteries though.

M72561 08-31-2013 10:54 AM

looking for some info on wiring a toad to my 2014 challenger 37kt. I have a 2001 Jeep grand cherokee. Blue ox tow bar with a blue ox base plate. I have the 7 pin blue cord that will plug into the back of my 37Kt . Info on a brake system would be welvcomed also and how it all ties into the electrical system

M72561 08-31-2013 04:14 PM

Anyone hook up direct tv in a 2014 37 it. Going on a 2 week vacation this weekend and need some help

DGShaffer 08-31-2013 06:30 PM

Sorry I can't help you