iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 11-25-2013 02:23 PM

I'd say that you would be eligible for new springs! Assuming that's what Ford does. Springs or shims, it should be covered.

rvbunz 11-26-2013 02:10 PM

Don, did the shims level your coach out? Is there any difference in ride or handling?

DGShaffer 11-26-2013 03:12 PM

It is level but I didn't notice any difference in handling on the 600 mile trip home. So far, so good!

Did I mention that the gears in the motor to my steps failed on the way back on Saturday? With the issues Thor has been having with the slides on the Palazos, a local Thor service center isn't touching any Thor products under warranty unless they sold it.

I bought a $45 replacement motor at a local auto parts dealer and will just install it my self on Saturday.

rvbunz 11-26-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1822246)
It is level but I didn't notice any difference in handling on the 600 mile trip home. So far, so good!

Did I mention that the gears in the motor to my steps failed on the way back on Saturday? With the issues Thor has been having with the slides on the Palazos, a local Thor service center isn't touching any Thor products under warranty unless they sold it.

I bought a $45 replacement motor at a local auto parts dealer and will just install it my self on Saturday.

Sorry to hear about your step. Should have tried to get Thor to send you one.

cenfl 11-26-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1822246)

So much for the THOR "Shield of Protection" :mad: Getting to the point where I'm afraid to use the thing for fear of what's going to break next :banghead:

DGShaffer 11-26-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1822253)
Sorry to hear about your step. Should have tried to get Thor to send you one.

I shot Steve an email but he hasn't gotten a chance to get back to me. To be honest, it's a 15 minute repair so I'm not concerned about it.

camaromance 11-26-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1822377)
I shot Steve an email but he hasn't gotten a chance to get back to me. To be honest, it's a 15 minute repair so I'm not concerned about it.

Hey, Don. Glad you made it back safely. Were you able to record your ECM data on the return trip?

I ran out of time and was unable to record anything. I loaded the standard tune Mike sent me. I've only driven it a few miles to gas up and get the propane filled but, the difference is very noticeable. I downloaded the recording software but you can only select 40 PIDS to record and I didn't know which ones to select. I asked Mike if he had a configuration file to select which PIDS to turn on but he didn't have one. I was curious to know how you fared.

rvbunz 11-26-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1822683)

Hey, Don. Glad you made it back safely. Were you able to record your ECM data on the return trip?

I ran out of time and was unable to record anything. I loaded the standard tune Mike sent me. I've only driven it a few miles to gas up and get the propane filled but, the difference is very noticeable. I downloaded the recording software but you can only select 40 PIDS to record and I didn't know which ones to select. I asked Mike if he had a configuration file to select which PIDS to turn on but he didn't have one. I was curious to know how you fared.

I'm assuming your talking about 5 star tuning, what is the PIDS mean?

camaromance 11-26-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1822702)
I'm assuming your talking about 5 star tuning, what is the PIDS mean?

With the tuner I have, I have to plug it into the OBD port and connect it to a laptop via USB. There was software that I had to download from SCT onto my laptop to record data. The PIDS are the ECM functions you select in the software to record. There were hundreds of data "PIDs" to select. However, the software only allows you to select a maximum of 40. Some of the PIDs were things like throttle position, exhaust gas temperature, gas/fuel mixture ratio, things like that. SCT says that the tuner, in this case Mike from 5 Star, should have a configuration file that sets up software with the proper PIDs to record so he can evaluate them and provide a more custom tune for how my Moho performs. Apparently, there are no two V10s that are the same. I figured for the cost, it be worth having him evaluate my data and provide me a more custom tune.

DGShaffer 11-27-2013 04:55 AM

I didn't. I was planning on it this weekend and to be honest, I had no idea it was so through of a process. When I added the tune to my Outlaw it was simple, I just gave him the number off of the OBD plug and with that he sent me a tune. I don't think I would know where to start with the customizing of the data myself either.

The tune he sent me for the Outlaw was pretty amazing and if I just got something like that again I would be more than happy. I'm heading out on my 2500 mile trip to Gulf Shores on the 20th of December so I was going to get to it this weekend

"007" 11-27-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1814768)
My coach goes back to the Ford Chassis shop tomorrow. The great news is that they are installing higher rated springs on the heavy side which is the proper solution over adding the blocks which just compresses the springs, I came here prepared with a weight sheet for all four corners which showed the heavy corner being on the side that sits low, I really was surprised when he told me this and really impressed

I have been reading this thread with some interest about the Ford chassis lean.
Ford wanted to do the same on my Ford chassis also!! :nonono:
Ford springs as they aged could not carry the Newmar coach box. :facepalm:

Some years back I was a Ford owner and had two coach's on the older Ford chassis's with the lean and it was affecting the driving experience.
One coach was a Newmar KS and was over 3" lower on one side and from one corner of chassis in front to opposite corner in rear.
Found this when I got a alignment.
I went to a good spring company in area and they were able to with different size springs level the coach box up 3" all around and the driving experience was a complete change we took a trip through Canada west to B.C. and back east through the states.
The job cost at that time,99, was about $1250 with a alignment.

During the 90's I was always looking for a Newmar coach upgrade and finding coach's that had sat on dealer lots for a spell well I found a MA with the solid wood cabinets and just a great coach during that time period.
It was on Ford chassis and seem to be very good on drive not like the KS I had a problem with.

Well that changed after loading I found after loading the passenger side which is the heavy side of a Newmar coach, batteries,Gen, fridge, kitchen and large storage compartments was now causing the lean to cause the coach box to scuff the rear duel tire wheel well when cornering and any uneven road conditions.

So here we go again what to do?
I decided to install a AIR-LIFT System with compressor and control valves in one compartment drivers rear and air control under dash for rear bags.

Found out dealers would not touch the job because they could not figure out how to mount the bag mounting bracket in the rear wheel wells because of a angle iron reinforcement for the body in wheel well.

So I took on the job, why not, found after removing the angle iron that the bracket would mount flush to the body box.
There was enough angle iron to remount to body box and do its job.
I happened to buy the air system during a spring sale at CW and the price was comparable with the spring company job done on the KS.

Installed the air bay system was able to lift the box up the required clearance's necessary to have good driving conditions.
Controls were all manual at that time the systems now can be put in for auto leveling of your coach.

They have other devises to level the chassis but I found you could not still control the lean that may result.

I thought with the newer Ford chassis's this problem would be a thing of the pass it seems not. :banghead:

DGShaffer 11-27-2013 07:14 AM

Thanks for posting this.

I was in the lot during my stay with an owner of an Outlaw. He was telling me about having added air bag chassis supports as well and how much better his ride was. He installed a product made by Firestone and was really please with the ease of install as well as the end result. He did mention that you need to install over travel straps to avoid tearing a bag when leveling in an extreme situation.

Although I'm not fond of leveling through the use of shims, it is better than it was. I'm seriously thinking about adding air bags if for no other reason that a better ride. I'm not retired and have put over 4,000 miles on it in just 8 months and have a 2500 mile round trip planned for December. So with the amount of time I spend behind the wheel it makes sense to me.

"007" 11-27-2013 08:46 AM

Yes I was retired in 99 retired in 88 at 54 and needed something to do. :)

If I new what I know now about the Ford chassis and many other things related to RV's back than I would have found the time to make a upgrade.

Had two Fords a 460, manifolds!!!, John Deer chassis and a Bounder Ford, V-10, that lived up to its name, their chassis's needed work to be done I just did not realize it at the time.

So good luck you have some options, I liked the :bow: bags the best.
Oh,I almost forgot the Workhorse 8.1 & Allison were the best combinations I ever owned. :thumb: :D

I DID NOTICE THAT LIPPERT MAKES SOME AIR RIDE PRODUCTS.
Its to bad the video's do not load for me.

camaromance 11-27-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1823055)
Thanks for posting this. I was in the lot during my stay with an owner of an Outlaw. He was telling me about having added air bag chassis supports as well and how much better his ride was. He installed a product made by Firestone and was really please with the ease of install as well as the end result. He did mention that you need to install over travel straps to avoid tearing a bag when leveling in an extreme situation. Although I'm not fond of leveling through the use of shims, it is better than it was. I'm seriously thinking about adding air bags if for no other reason that a better ride. I'm not retired and have put over 4,000 miles on it in just 8 months and have a 2500 mile round trip planned for December. So with the amount of time I spend behind the wheel it makes sense to me.

I did a lot of research regarding air-ride systems for my KT. For some reason, Thor Challengers are excluded from all the systems I could find. I called firestone and never really got a straight answer but it seems there is not enough room to properly mount air bags on Challengers. Firestone and Lippert both have systems for the F53 chassis but excludes challengers. I think a system could be modified to fit but the manufacturers are going to take that on. Maybe a good truck shop could do it but I'm sure it would be expensive. I still want to install one so let me know if you find something that would work.

"007" 11-27-2013 10:37 AM

What is the problem with Challenger same Ford chassis?
Have you tried the AIR-LIFT System maybe more expensive but maybe do able.
Your saying the same thing a Ford dealer told me can't be done, little did he know.

DGShaffer 11-27-2013 11:30 AM

I'll be underneath it this weekend so I'll take a look at the structure for the coach. If anything keeps it from being installed, it would be their placement of the welded structure on the frame rails.

That would surely suck if I had to cut and modify the structure just for air bags!

JohnG2013KT 11-27-2013 12:03 PM

Coach seems to be 'shaking' more than before?

Hi .. My coach seems to be shaking when someone (even the grandkids) walks around? .. I don't seem to remember it shaking back in the spring when we went to Talladega? .. It's almost the same feel when the jacks are up and the coach is resting on the wheels/chassis ..? .. Could it be that the jacks aren't lowering enough to take on the weight?

FYI .. found 2 leaks in the bathroom today .. both dealing with loose fittings .. One under the sink .. the locking nut on the drain was loose .. And the other behind the toilet . on the fresh water inlet ..

John & Jan
Presently at Kelly's RV Park, Callahan, FL

rvbunz 11-27-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1823479)
Hi .. My coach seems to be shaking when someone (even the grandkids) walks around? .. I don't seem to remember it shaking back in the spring when we went to Talladega? .. It's almost the same feel when the jacks are up and the coach is resting on the wheels/chassis ..? .. Could it be that the jacks aren't lowering enough to take on the weight?

FYI .. found 2 leaks in the bathroom today .. both dealing with loose fittings .. One under the sink .. the locking nut on the drain was loose .. And the other behind the toilet . on the fresh water inlet ..

John & Jan
Presently at Kelly's RV Park, Callahan, FL

I called to see why the Thor coaches couldn't use the Firestone air system, and was told that they wouldn't fit the chassis the way the coach was built. I was told at cw that the airlift bags wouldn't really help the lean.

DGShaffer 11-27-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1823597)
I called to see why the Thor coaches couldn't use the Firestone air system, and was told that they wouldn't fit the chassis the way the coach was built. I was told at cw that the airlift bags wouldn't really help the lean.

They have two types, one adjusts front and back and one will do that as well as left to right. Take what the guys at CW tell you with a grain of salt!

I'll be under there this weekend to see what Thor did back there to keep us from using the air system.

I swapped out my step motor when I got home tonight in the friggin cold! My $45 motor had to have the plug swapped out but it beat the $288 price from the manufacturer for the same motor! I could have had it replaced under warranty but getting it to a service center is a PITA compared to 45 minutes on a creeper.

"007" 11-27-2013 04:07 PM

I did not mention that I install bags on all four corners and the air bags corrected any lean there was.
The AUTO Systems should do that correction also.
The rear air bag bracket mounted over the axles as were the front also.
Never took off rear tires , made a patten and drill out through frame, from under coach, for two holes needed for chassis mounting. The other two holes was already drilled through the frame.
The new chassis's may already have the two holes.

Ford F-53 AIR-LIFT SYSTEM------INSTALLATION SPEC

I selected the center system but you can see the one to right with smaller air bag that may have to fit for different MFG box because of clearance between box and axle.
It would be for you to decide for coach you have and options your want.

DGShaffer 11-28-2013 07:12 AM

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
https://cdn.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...3&d=1385644227

DGShaffer 11-28-2013 03:12 PM

I have to say that for those of us that are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to enjoy life touring in our motor homes, we have a lot to be thankful for!

I'm thankful that I was able to find a new motor for my entry steps and that I'm able to install it myself. That I found a parts center that had both a new water pump to replace the one I left running for two days and a solenoid valve for the ice maker that I burnt out while blowing the water out of my pipes.

All is good with my part of the world! :flowers:

rvbunz 11-28-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1824962)
I have to say that for those of us that are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to enjoy life touring in our motor homes, we have a lot to be thankful for!

I'm thankful that I was able to find a new motor for my entry steps and that I'm able to install it myself. That I found a parts center that had both a new water pump to replace the one I left running for two days and a solenoid valve for the ice maker that I burnt out while blowing the water out of my pipes.

All is good with my part of the world! :flowers:

Well said Don. I surely hope we get to meet soon.

DGShaffer 11-30-2013 08:00 AM

I'm finalizing my trip plans for our Christmas trip to Dauphin Island campground down in Gulf Shores Alabama. We have been to the area twice with the first being in Gulf Shores itself at a Class A resort. Our second trip was when we found this place on the Western side of Mobile Bay.

The island itself is very remote (not even a McDonalds) but there is a ferry to take you across the bay so that you can get to places like Pensacola in a hurry if you want. Being remote means not a lot of traffic or crouds which is what we really enjoyed here. It's also close to Louisiana so we plan a day motorcycle trip out that way as well for some Gumbo.

There's access to a somewhat private beach which is one of the only ones in the gulf that allows dogs which is a must for us. We rarely encountered anyone out at the times we were there so my Springer got to run all over and even to swim in the ocean.

The CG boarders a bird sanctuary so there's direct access to miles of groomed walking paths so we were out walking about more than we were inside or at the site. As I mentioned above, we also take a bike with us so I have compiled 4 day trip to get us out and around the area.

And, if you've never been to a Lamberts Throwed Roll Cafe, you're missing out on a very unique dining experience :D

Lamberts Throwed Roll

Our first trip to Dauphin Island

camaromance 11-30-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1824962)
I have to say that for those of us that are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to enjoy life touring in our motor homes, we have a lot to be thankful for! I'm thankful that I was able to find a new motor for my entry steps and that I'm able to install it myself. That I found a parts center that had both a new water pump to replace the one I left running for two days and a solenoid valve for the ice maker that I burnt out while blowing the water out of my pipes. All is good with my part of the world! :flowers:

Sorry I'm late but, Happy belated Thanksgiving to all of my IRV2 friends. The wife and I have been on the road without much internet. Made it to The Dell in Pigeon Forge, TN without issue. This is the first time I have driven my MoHo since I got the 5 star tune. I am amazed at the difference. It's like a new coach. Passing, no problem. Mountains, no problem. Also not sure how to explain the extra 3.2 miles per gallon either. The first tank was 7.847 MPG. I filled it to the rim each time so I know it's accurate. I'm a believer.

I'm thankful for guys like Mike at 5 star tuning.

Hope you all had a great Twerky day!

DGShaffer 11-30-2013 05:23 PM

Hey Jim! Glad to see you made it OK. I have a house in Sevierville which boarders Pigeon Forge. That is one of our favorite areas of the country and where we are planning on retiring.

How long are you there for?

cenfl 12-01-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1827219)
This is the first time I have driven my MoHo since I got the 5 star tune. I am amazed at the difference. It's like a new coach. Passing, no problem. Mountains, no problem. Also not sure how to explain the extra 3.2 miles per gallon either. The first tank was 7.847 MPG. I filled it to the rim each time so I know it's accurate. I'm a believer.

Please excuse my limited math skills...but prior to 5 Star Tune you were getting 4.6 MPG :confused:

camaromance 12-01-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cenfl (Post 1827821)
Please excuse my limited math skills...but prior to 5 Star Tune you were getting 4.6 MPG :confused:

Your excused. : ) Yes, between 4 and 5 mpg. Lower 4s when towing, high 4s to low 5s when not. There are a lot of factors that weigh in. The SAMs club gas I usually use has a lot of ethanol in it, my normal trips have a lot of mountains, I drive faster, around 65 to 70. For my driving style, the tune really helped a lot, plus I wasn't towing to TN and 81 is relatively flat. I kept it on cruise most of the way out at 65. Just sharing my experience. Hopefully it continues. The shift pattern really made a huge difference.

camaromance 12-01-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1827294)
Hey Jim! Glad to see you made it OK. I have a house in Sevierville which boarders Pigeon Forge. That is one of our favorite areas of the country and where we are planning on retiring. How long are you there for?

We're here until next Friday. It's beautiful here. We love it for what little we've seen. Getting the rental car tomorrow for some road tripping.

We're in Sevierville off Apple valley road. So, what should we see or do here? Tuesday is or only planned day so far. Any suggestions?

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 01:42 PM

You'll want to head down into Gatlinburg. It's a neat little town with a bunch of shops and a chair lift to get a great view of the Smokey mountains.

If you take a ride on 441 south from there towards Cherokee you can visit Clingmans dome which gives you great views of like 5 states. Continue on to go into the town of Cherokee. Head south from there on RT 19 to RT 28 north and that takes you through Deals Gap or "Tail of the Dragon".

Once through Deals gap look for Foothills Parkway and head Northeast to RT 321 east to RT 337 in Townsend and that takes you back to 441 and Gatlinburg.

A great bunch of roads for a day trip. The loop will fill up a day if you choose to stop by and visit the towns and the Deals Gap resort. The Fontana Dam is just before Deals gap and a pretty cool site to see.

camaromance 12-01-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1828271)
You'll want to head down into Gatlinburg. It's a neat little town with a bunch of shops and a chair lift to get a great view of the Smokey mountains. If you take a ride on 441 south from there towards Cherokee you can visit Clingmans dome which gives you great views of like 5 states. Continue on to go into the town of Cherokee. Head south from there on RT 19 to RT 28 north and that takes you through Deals Gap or "Tail of the Dragon". Once through Deals gap look for Foothills Parkway and head Northeast to RT 321 east to RT 337 in Townsend and that takes you back to 441 and Gatlinburg. A great bunch of roads for a day trip. The loop will fill up a day if you choose to stop by and visit the towns and the Deals Gap resort. The Fontana Dam is just before Deals gap and a pretty cool site to see.

Thanks Don, that sounds awesome. Do you need me to check on anything for you while I'm here?

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 02:23 PM

Thanks for asking but I have a guy there that looks in on it for me. Let me know if you decide to buy over there, I know a great Realtor :D

You're in a dry county so if you like, you can restock your bar in Gatlinburg.

I ordered the new tune for my Challenger today. Since I had already purchased one from him in the past I get a new one for $80. He did want me to offload the tune from my outlaw and send him a file that I guess proves that it went back to stock.

With this upcoming trip south through the very mountain ranges you just went through I really wanted Mikes tune in there. Without it there was no way I could use the cruise control.

camaromance 12-01-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1828323)
Thanks for asking but I have a guy there that looks in on it for me. Let me know if you decide to buy over there, I know a great Realtor :D You're in a dry county so if you like, you can restock your bar in Gatlinburg. I ordered the new tune for my Challenger today. Since I had already purchased one from him in the past I get a new one for $80. He did want me to offload the tune from my outlaw and send him a file that I guess proves that it went back to stock. With this upcoming trip south through the very mountain ranges you just went through I really wanted Mikes tune in there. Without it there was no way I could use the cruise control.

I can't say enough about the tune. I drove more by the tach than anything else, keeping it between 2000 and 2500. I did not expect to see such an increase in mileage though. I also noticed the speed limiter was increased. It used to shut down at 75. I had it up to 85 and it was still pulling. Faster than I want to go. Most hill climbs never shifted out of overdrive and the ones that did found the missing gear from the stock tune. I never went over 3000 rpm and maintained between 60 and 70 going up hill.

Amazing.

I let you know by the end of the week about real estate.

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 02:35 PM

Are you in a small park with 4 little ponds along one side? If so, my house is northeast about 1/2 mile as the crow flies :thumb:

camaromance 12-01-2013 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1828342)
Are you in a small park with 4 little ponds along one side? If so, my house is northeast about 1/2 mile as the crow flies :thumb:

Yup, that's the one were at.

Attachment 51067

Is your house in this picture somewhere?

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 03:06 PM

I'm about three or four hills from there. I'm interested in hearing about that park, we're planning a trip down that way this summer. I have a long term renter in our place there so using it isn't an option.

camaromance 12-01-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1828377)
I'm about three or four hills from there. I'm interested in hearing about that park, we're planning a trip down that way this summer. I have a long term renter in our place there so using it isn't an option.

Here is the website

https://www.hiddenmountain.com/cabin-type/the-dell-rv/

It's owner sites that are rented out when there not being used. I'll send you some pics later. The internet is screaming fast.

Full hookup with cable. Nice class A exclusive park with reasonable rates.

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 04:00 PM

I'm really interested in hearing more about it. You can PM me if it's better for you. Also, if you have an android phone I can text you google map points that will make getting around pretty easy.

bigdonedmon 12-02-2013 01:55 PM

I have been using the extendable sofa in my Thor Challenger 37DT. problem is when I put the cushions on there is a 3 inch gap between the cushion and rest of the sofa. It would seem like I need to push it in to but up the cushions but it wont stay....has anyone came across this problem?

DGShaffer 12-02-2013 01:59 PM

There are two locking points in the mechanism, one in the closed position and another in the extended position. Once the cushions are in place try pushing a little harder to compress the cushion and see if it locks. If it doesn't, something is wrong.

Once my cushion makes contact I compress it another 2 inches and I hear it catch

bdickson 12-02-2013 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone else think the stock horn on the Challenger is puny? I just installed these bad boys and they are LOUD!

rvbunz 12-02-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1829750)
Anyone else think the stock horn on the Challenger is puny? I just installed these bad boys and they are LOUD!

I installed air horns on my challenger the same week I picked it up. Loud and gets the attention of those idiots that cut in front of you.

DGShaffer 12-02-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1829750)

That's great! :rofl:

bdickson 12-02-2013 06:30 PM

I was in a Camping World today and they had a 2014 Challenger 37DT on the lot. I was able to see that several of the annoyances on the 2013's have been corrected. The big black sewer pipe is gone, just a conventional hatch with screw in cover. They have added a smaller hatch in the wet bay for city water hose and coax access. The 50 amp shore cable now has a twistlock connector instead of being hard wired. These were all issues I had to deal with myself on my 2013 37GT.

I wanted to get inside the coach, but I was told that CW had only one salesperson on duty and he was too busy to talk to me. They didn't know I was not in the market, I could have been a keen buyer with a pocketful of cash for all they knew. That's no way to run a railroad as they say.

DGShaffer 12-02-2013 07:50 PM

I'd be interested in seeing the inside as well. I wonder if they saw my crapper flapper install on the site :2funny:

bdickson 12-02-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1830057)
I'd be interested in seeing the inside as well. I wonder if they saw my crapper flapper install on the site :2funny:

you could sue them for patent infringement and get millions in damages!

rvbunz 12-02-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1829944)
I was in a Camping World today and they had a 2014 Challenger 37DT on the lot. I was able to see that several of the annoyances on the 2013's have been corrected. The big black sewer pipe is gone, just a conventional hatch with screw in cover. They have added a smaller hatch in the wet bay for city water hose and coax access. The 50 amp shore cable now has a twistlock connector instead of being hard wired. These were all issues I had to deal with myself on my 2013 37GT.

I wanted to get inside the coach, but I was told that CW had only one salesperson on duty and he was too busy to talk to me. They didn't know I was not in the market, I could have been a keen buyer with a pocketful of cash for all they knew. That's no way to run a railroad as they say.

Did you look at the 2014 or the 2014.5? I looked at the. 5 online and like the new front and rear caps. The DW doesn't like the countertops, they changed them to white. I like the stinky slinky tube on my challenger. Just rinse the tube out well.

bdickson 12-02-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830080)
Did you look at the 2014 or the 2014.5? I looked at the. 5 online and like the new front and rear caps. The DW doesn't like the countertops, they changed them to white. I like the stinky slinky tube on my challenger. Just rinse the tube out well.

Not sure if it was a .5 or not. The rear cap is certainly different, big square window, looked nice. I actually like the sewer pipe, after I modified it. I permanently installed a 3 foot section of slinky inside it. At the outer end I attached a 6 inch clear section which is held in place with 4 screws that go through the black pipe but just pinch the outside of the clear section. I threw away the big screw on cap and replaced it with a bayonet cap. It's very easy to hook the slinky up to it. I think between my solution and Don's Crapper Flapper we have the beginnings of a sewage disposal business here. :D

By the way, did you get your LED tail lights installed yet?

rvbunz 12-02-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1830109)
Not sure if it was a .5 or not. The rear cap is certainly different, big square window, looked nice. I actually like the sewer pipe, after I modified it. I permanently installed a 3 foot section of slinky inside it. At the outer end I attached a 6 inch clear section which is held in place with 4 screws that go through the black pipe but just pinch the outside of the clear section. I threw away the big screw on cap and replaced it with a bayonet cap. It's very easy to hook the slinky up to it. I think between my solution and Don's Crapper Flapper we have the beginnings of a sewage disposal business here. :D

By the way, did you get your LED tail lights installed yet?

I'd like to see photos of your tube mod. No I haven't ordered to led lights yet. Did you change your lights yet?

bdickson 12-02-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830113)
I'd like to see photos of your tube mod. No I haven't ordered to led lights yet. Did you change your lights yet?

No, I got sidetracked into installing air horns, which bled the one gallon tank down too fast so I had to piggyback a 5 gallon tank on to it, and for good measure I added a pressure gauge on the dash. When I (and my Visa card) have recovered I'll look at the LED lights again.

sbleiweiss 12-03-2013 09:03 AM

Does anybody know if you really have to use MH or marine toilet paper on these bad boys? I don't see why. They get dumped regularly into normal sewers. Seems like no more reason in a MH than in a brick and morter home.

DGShaffer 12-03-2013 09:35 AM

A good test for any RV or Marine use paper is to fill a glass with water and put a couple of sheets in it. If it breaks up when you stir it then it's good to use.

We use Scott paper. The reason is the same as if you have a septic system at your home. Most dump stations require regular pump outs and that more the paper breaks up, the less frequent they fill up

camaromance 12-03-2013 11:04 AM

11 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1830608)
A good test for any RV or Marine use paper is to fill a glass with water and put a couple of sheets in it. If it breaks up when you stir it then it's good to use. We use Scott paper. The reason is the same as if you have a septic system at your home. Most dump stations require regular pump outs and that more the paper breaks up, the less frequent they fill up

Hey, Don. Here are some pictures of the campsites. The website should let you know which ones are available for the time period you plan on being here. I'm in site 2607 which is nice. 2608 seems really nice, too. I'm not sure if all are available to rent. My iPad app wouldn't let me message these to you so everyone gets to enjoy. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Jimmy

Attachment 51187

Attachment 51188

Attachment 51189

Attachment 51190

Attachment 51191

Attachment 51192

Attachment 51193

Attachment 51194

Attachment 51195

Attachment 51196

Attachment 51197

DGShaffer 12-03-2013 11:22 AM

Thanks Jim, As soon as we figure out when we plan on going south we'll set up a site. I like its proximity to my house as well as the riding roads in the area

rvbunz 12-03-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1830737)

Hey, Don. Here are some pictures of the campsites. The website should let you know which ones are available for the time period you plan on being here. I'm in site 2607 which is nice. 2608 seems really nice, too. I'm not sure if all are available to rent. My iPad app wouldn't let me message these to you so everyone gets to enjoy. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Jimmy

Hope you don't mind me buttin in but where is this campground and what is the name of it?

camaromance 12-03-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830770)
Hope you don't mind me buttin in but where is this campground and what is the name of it?

Here is the website

https://www.hiddenmountain.com/cabin-type/the-dell-rv/

It's close to Pigeon Forge, TN.

It's not really a campground. It's more like owner sites that are rented out when their not being used. There is no camp store close but the resort lodge up the street is supposed to be nice. I haven't been in yet.

Full hookup with cable. Nice class A exclusive park with reasonable rates.

rvbunz 12-03-2013 12:48 PM

Air Horns

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my air horns. I installed in a different location than you did.

rvbunz 12-03-2013 01:13 PM

Mods

3 Attachment(s)
I have done a couple of different modifications besides the air horns. 1. I installed a rubber mat over the fuse block under the hood. This block is exposed to water when driving in the rain. On my 03 Challenger I had corrosion show up on the bottom fuse causing it to short, and it killed my electric step. Had to jump it until I got a new block. My extended service plan wouldn't cover it since most won't cover items with corrosion. The mat keeps it dry when driving in the rain. 2. I put a screen behind the grill to keep the bugs out of my radiator. It's easier to clean the screen than the radiator. Of course I need to clean it now. The last mo was changing the valve stems on the inner dually so I can install my tpms.

rvbunz 12-03-2013 01:16 PM

I just tried my sofa in my DT. It locks in the closed position, but not in the extended position. There isn't a gap in my cushions when extended however. I tried to compress the cushion as Don said and it still doesn't lock. This is my second sofa and my first one was the same way.

DGShaffer 12-03-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830882)
I just tried my sofa in my DT. It locks in the closed position, but not in the extended position. There isn't a gap in my cushions when extended however. I tried to compress the cushion as Don said and it still doesn't lock. This is my second sofa and my first one was the same way.

I'm sorry to hear that bob. It's a cable locking system so when I bring mine back to the house on Saturday to put in my new water pump I'll look at it to see if I can figure out what might be going on

DGShaffer 12-03-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830878)
I have done a couple of different modifications besides the air horns. 1. I installed a rubber mat over the fuse block under the hood. This block is exposed to water when driving in the rain. On my 03 Challenger I had corrosion show up on the bottom fuse causing it to short, and it killed my electric step. Had to jump it until I got a new block. My extended service plan wouldn't cover it since most won't cover items with corrosion. The mat keeps it dry when driving in the rain. 2. I put a screen behind the grill to keep the bugs out of my radiator. It's easier to clean the screen than the radiator. Of course I need to clean it now. The last mo was changing the valve stems on the inner dually so I can install my tpms.

I like the rubber cover idea. I had the exact same issue with the connection for the steps on my Outlaw. The real issue was that it wasn't corroded completely apart so it was able to send 12 volts down to the steps but not enough amperage to operate the motor. Finding that was like finding a needle in a haystack!

bdickson 12-03-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830848)
Here is a picture of my air horns. I installed in a different location than you did.

So your horns have a dedicated compressor and no reservoir tank? Is there a delay when you push the button? I already had a compressor with a 1 gallon tank which was installed by Hendersons to power the trim unit on my Safe T Plus steering damper. I found that the horns would run the tank pressure down from 110 to 60 or so in a few seconds. I fixed it by adding a 5 gallon portable tank with a quick disconnect and shutoff valve so I could remove it to inflate a toad tire if needed.

DGShaffer 12-03-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1831255)
I added a 5 gallon portable tank with a quick disconnect and shutoff valve so I could remove it to inflate a toad tire if needed.

Nothing short of genius! :thumb:

rvbunz 12-03-2013 06:36 PM

I have an air tank, you just can't see it where I have it mounted. Where did you mount the 5 gallon tank?

bdickson 12-03-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1831263)
Nothing short of genius! :thumb:

why thank you sir!

sbleiweiss 12-04-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1830608)
A good test for any RV or Marine use paper is to fill a glass with water and put a couple of sheets in it. If it breaks up when you stir it then it's good to use.

We use Scott paper. The reason is the same as if you have a septic system at your home. Most dump stations require regular pump outs and that more the paper breaks up, the less frequent they fill up

I do have a septic tank at home and use regular paper. I see your point about the black water tank filling sooner, but I can't imagine that is much of a difference.

As long as regular paper won't clog up the lines I think I may try it. Haven't found a marine one yet that is nearly as soft.

camaromance 12-04-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1831883)
I do have a septic tank at home and use regular paper. I see your point about the black water tank filling sooner, but I can't imagine that is much of a difference. As long as regular paper won't clog up the lines I think I may try it. Haven't found a marine one yet that is nearly as soft.

We use angel soft both at home and in the MoHo. It's septic safe and seems better than most.

Mike 1000 12-04-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1831234)
I'm sorry to hear that bob. It's a cable locking system so when I bring mine back to the house on Saturday to put in my new water pump I'll look at it to see if I can figure out what might be going on

My 2013 Challenger 37DT has non-functioning latch on couch extension too. I had dealer repair, but it only worked once after the repair. After that, the latch hasn't functioned in either closed or extended position. It is on the list I gave dealer when I brought it in again for many warranty repairs. Hope they get it this time. One of the warranty repairs is replacement of the flooring that was damaged before I bought it. There was a gash in the linoleum caused by couch extension.

bdickson 12-04-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1831270)
I have an air tank, you just can't see it where I have it mounted. Where did you mount the 5 gallon tank?

In the compartment immediately behind the jack pump/battery compartment, where my compressor and original 1 gallon tank are installed.This is what I used:
Performance Tool Portable Air Tank 5-Gallon, Model# W10005 | Air Compressor Carry Tanks| Northern Tool + Equipment
I removed the inflator hose and replaced it with a quick disconnect chuck. I ran a length of 1/4 inch flex tubing from a T connector back to the new tank, with a shutoff valve so I can remove the portable tank without the whole system bleeding down. I didn't set out to get a removable tank, it just came as a bonus.

bdickson 12-04-2013 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830113)
I'd like to see photos of your tube mod.

Here you go. Inside the black pipe is a 3 foot length of Rhino sewer hose. I had to remove the end fitting, feed the slinky through the tube and reattach the bayonet with a hose clamp. The screws through the black tube just pinch the clear section to hold it in place without penetrating it. It makes sewer hookup very easy.

sbleiweiss 12-05-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1832314)
Here you go. Inside the black pipe is a 3 foot length of Rhino sewer hose. I had to remove the end fitting, feed the slinky through the tube and reattach the bayonet with a hose clamp. The screws through the black tube just pinch the clear section to hold it in place without penetrating it. It makes sewer hookup very easy.

What Thor told me was that the design anticipated people leaving their entire accordian sewer hose compressed inside the tube when not using it. Makes some sense and might be convenient, but why the heck did they make the tube too narrow to fit the fittings through? With your remove/reconnect step their idea would work.

DGShaffer 12-05-2013 09:37 AM

That was such a bad idea they don't even offer it anymore. I cut mine off before I ever took my Challenger the first time. It took someone like Bruce to make it useable.

Crapper Flapper all the way baby! :dance:

bdickson 12-05-2013 10:18 AM

The other 2013 problem they fixed was no access hatch to run city water hose and coax into the compartment. I also fixed that one myself.

DGShaffer 12-05-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1833279)
The other 2013 problem they fixed was no access hatch to run city water hose and coax into the compartment. I also fixed that one myself.

In that regard, the Crapper Flapper does double Duty :2funny:

bdickson 12-05-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1833214)
What Thor told me was that the design anticipated people leaving their entire accordian sewer hose compressed inside the tube when not using it. Makes some sense and might be convenient, but why the heck did they make the tube too narrow to fit the fittings through? With your remove/reconnect step their idea would work.

Right now I am using 30 feet of Rhino hose to reach the sewer connection. No way could I stuff all that into the black tube.

DGShaffer 12-07-2013 07:36 PM

Well I've been forced to do a bit of maintenance before my trip to Dauphin Island on the 20th:

Replaced step motor with a $45 window motor from Autozone
Replaced the water pump that I left running for two days after winterizing
Replaced the ice maker solenoid valve that I burnt out by leaving it energized for too long while winterizing
Installed the new 5 Star Tune now that my rig has over 5K miles on it

The propane is filled up and I'm ready to get it back to the house on the 18th to flush out the anti freeze for the trip.

The last time we were there we found that they didn't have fire rings so I bough a 100"long x 6" tall roll of .020" thick shim stock. Cut it to a length that will fit my round grill top, punched a series of vent holes and some square holes for carriage bolts so I can unroll it and screw it together as a circle. I'll be taking pictures of this thing.

sbleiweiss 12-08-2013 10:56 AM

For those of you who have looked at the 2014 1/2 KT, we looked at it yesterday. From the unit we looked at (the dealer only had one), it appears Thor changed the design of the table. The old table used to be screwed down to the slide floor permanantly with a mechanism that allowed the table top to slide back and forth without the table base moving. Now they have a much cruder table that has no sliding mechanism and the foot of the table is clamped in with a big crude clamp. To move the table out from the window now (and you have to; the table has a leaf to open on the window side that requires moving it out from the wall) you unclamp the entire table and move the entire table. As if this wasn't bad enough (the old method was much more elegant) now the tabel sits half on the slide floor and half off to have four people around it. This is both a heads up to you who are looking to buy this KT, and also a question of whether that is the way the ones you are looking at work too?

dunkonu23 12-10-2013 07:44 PM

I'm seriously looking at 2014.5 DT's. No table... booth. I've seen the video on a different 2014.5 floor plan and I'm impressed. There are a lot of differences that were talked about in the video..

2014 Thor Motor Coach Challenger Luxury RV 37GT Review at Motor Home Specialist - YouTube

Sorry if it's not appropriate to show videos. I'm just way impressed.

Scott

DMcRaney 12-11-2013 10:38 AM

Video

Scott,

Not a problem on posting the video. I actually have the 2014.5 coach showed in the video. The only difference is we went with the convection microwave and no oven. We also got the over cab bunk which we think is great, they dont tell you this, but even with the sleeper down I can sit comfortable in the front cab seat.

I love the coach, we are still going through some growing pains from our step up from a TT, but we are happy we did it. I think you will like it.

David

DGShaffer 12-11-2013 08:07 PM

Congrats David. That looks like a great coach. Thor has really stepped up their game with the design of their latest models. A little tough on those of us owning models only a model year older but that's life.

I'm not full timing or retired so with the weekends and couple of vacations each year, a gas powered coach fits my use perfectly. Perhaps when we retire we'll step up to a DP but until then...

"I love my Thor Challenger!"

rvbunz 12-17-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1841512)
Congrats David. That looks like a great coach. Thor has really stepped up their game with the design of their latest models. A little tough on those of us owning models only a model year older but that's life.

I'm not full timing or retired so with the weekends and couple of vacations each year, a gas powered coach fits my use perfectly. Perhaps when we retire we'll step up to a DP but until then...

"I love my Thor Challenger!"

Love my challenger too. Just installed a safe-t-plus today. Getting her ready for our 7 week trip to Fl. Leaving on 28 Dec.

DGShaffer 12-17-2013 06:16 PM

I guess I'm old school when it comes to handling. Cars and bikes should be tight, a big box is a big box and I drive it like one.

Although a steering assist might be a good thing, I'm not fond of stiffening the suspension to resist roll by adding beefy sway bars.

My thoughts on trying to prevent sway are that with a top heavy rig like a motor home, when you stiffen the suspension to resist that roll you are in fact lightening the load on the inside tires and doubling the load on the outside tires in a turn. I prefer to let it sway and drive it like a motor home leaving as much pressure on all of the tires as I can. Honestly, I have had absolutely no issues driving either of the Class A motor homes I've owned.

bdickson 12-17-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1848386)
Love my challenger too. Just installed a safe-t-plus today. Getting her ready for our 7 week trip to Fl. Leaving on 28 Dec.

did you get the trim unit too?

rvbunz 12-22-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1848504)
did you get the trim unit too?

No I actually bought the unit on eBay. I'm going to test it on our upcoming trip, before I decide whether or not to get the trim

DGShaffer 12-23-2013 06:32 AM

I drove through a day long rain but I made it to Dauphin Island! The front that is moving into the east started in the Gulf and proceeded north and slowly east so that meant that we were in the line of storms from Saturday around midnight all the was through last night around 8:00. This challenger is as water tight as a frogs ass to be sure. My Outlaw had many leaks when being driven through heavy rain. I'm very happy with this little fact!

I installed Mikes tune just before the trip. I'm towing a MC trailer with my Harley in it and it did seem to shift into the lower gear sooner than I'd like which meant I was turning off the cruise control on most hills. I'll write Mike today and see if he can modify it. I brought the module with me so I can upload it prior to the return trip

rvbunz 12-23-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1854992)
I drove through a day long rain but I made it to Dauphin Island! The front that is moving into the east started in the Gulf and proceeded north and slowly east so that meant that we were in the line of storms from Saturday around midnight all the was through last night around 8:00. This challenger is as water tight as a frogs ass to be sure. My Outlaw had many leaks when being driven through heavy rain. I'm very happy with this little fact!

I installed Mikes tune just before the trip. I'm towing a MC trailer with my Harley in it and it did seem to shift into the lower gear sooner than I'd like which meant I was turning off the cruise control on most hills. I'll write Mike today and see if he can modify it. I brought the module with me so I can upload it prior to the return trip

Have a safe trip. I'll be heading out Sat for our seven week Fl trip. Mat head to gulf coast while we are down that way.

DGShaffer 12-23-2013 05:18 PM

Thank you. You have a great trip as well. Enjoy the warm weather and have a Merry Christmas!

bdickson 12-23-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1854773)
No I actually bought the unit on eBay. I'm going to test it on our upcoming trip, before I decide whether or not to get the trim

I'll be interested to hear your report. I don't quite understand how the Safe T Plus without the trim unit can help with crosswinds. I turn the wheel into the crosswind and have to exert pressure on the wheel until I press the trim button momentarily, at which point all the effort goes away and I can hold the wheel, still at an angle, with pretty much two fingers. Let me know how it goes! :popcorn:

By the way, if you are taking I-95 from NC to FL, we are volunteering at Santee National Wildlife Refuge in S Carolina, a half mile from exit 102. Swing by and say hi!

rvbunz 12-23-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1855659)
I'll be interested to hear your report. I don't quite understand how the Safe T Plus without the trim unit can help with crosswinds. I turn the wheel into the crosswind and have to exert pressure on the wheel until I press the trim button momentarily, at which point all the effort goes away and I can hold the wheel, still at an angle, with pretty much two fingers. Let me know how it goes! :popcorn:

By the way, if you are taking I-95 from NC to FL, we are volunteering at Santee National Wildlife Refuge in S Carolina, a half mile from exit 102. Swing by and say hi!

I sure will

rvbunz 12-24-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1855664)

I sure will

Bdickson, can we get in there towing and get out easily?

bdickson 12-24-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1856498)
Bdickson, can we get in there towing and get out easily?

Yes, you can drive around the parking lot and out again. Here are the Google Earth coordinates: 33.532461, -80.431794. From I-95 SC exit 102, follow the signs for Santee National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center. Fort Watson Road is fairly narrow but I took my Challenger with tow in with no problems.

When do you think you might be there?

rvbunz 12-24-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1856691)
Yes, you can drive around the parking lot and out again. Here are the Google Earth coordinates: 33.532461, -80.431794. From I-95 SC exit 102, follow the signs for Santee National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center. Fort Watson Road is fairly narrow but I took my Challenger with tow in with no problems.

When do you think you might be there?

We plan on leaving home around 8am and should hit the SC line around 10. I usually stop at the welcome center for a pit stop then for fuel at the flying j. I would guess somewhere around noon.

bdickson 12-24-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1856701)
We plan on leaving home around 8am and should hit the SC line around 10. I usually stop at the welcome center for a pit stop then for fuel at the flying j. I would guess somewhere around noon.

On what day? :cool:
Edit: I just saw in a previous post its Saturday.

SPovelko 12-24-2013 05:42 PM

2013 Thor Challenger 37XT

October 30th the wife and I finally pulled the trigger and traded our class C in for our first class A. We read all the reviews and lokked at every model out there and decided the 2013 Thor Challenger 37XT fit the bill.We purchased the new RV from Giant RV in Colton California ,as there were none available in Las Vegas were we live.I wish I could say that we have had a nice experience ,but it has been anything other than that.When we did the walkthrough a small crack was noticed at the top passenger side of the front windshield.The service manager at Giant RV agreed to ship it to the Authorized Thor Dealer in Las Vegas(Camping World) to be replaced. After six weeks of waiting for Giant RV and Thor to agree who was going to pay for the new windshield I was finally able to drop it off to get replaced.This was two weeks ago.I recieved a call from Camping World yesterday informing me that the front cap on the RV is defective and the new windshield will not fit properly which is why the original windshield cracked in the first place.I contacted Thor directly to express my dissatisfaction.The Thor rep agreed to contact Camping Word immediatly.I called the Thor rep back the next day and he had no idea who I was.Needless to say I blew my stack(bet he remembers me next time). I have owned this rv for two months now and have not been able to use it! I do however continue to make the rather large payments on it. has anyone had any issues with thier windshields ,or any front cap issues ???

SPovelko 12-24-2013 05:46 PM

2013 Thor Challenger 37KT

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1856775)
October 30th the wife and I finally pulled the trigger and traded our class C in for our first class A. We read all the reviews and lokked at every model out there and decided the 2013 Thor Challenger 37XT fit the bill.We purchased the new RV from Giant RV in Colton California ,as there were none available in Las Vegas were we live.I wish I could say that we have had a nice experience ,but it has been anything other than that.When we did the walkthrough a small crack was noticed at the top passenger side of the front windshield.The service manager at Giant RV agreed to ship it to the Authorized Thor Dealer in Las Vegas(Camping World) to be replaced. After six weeks of waiting for Giant RV and Thor to agree who was going to pay for the new windshield I was finally able to drop it off to get replaced.This was two weeks ago.I recieved a call from Camping World yesterday informing me that the front cap on the RV is defective and the new windshield will not fit properly which is why the original windshield cracked in the first place.I contacted Thor directly to express my dissatisfaction.The Thor rep agreed to contact Camping Word immediatly.I called the Thor rep back the next day and he had no idea who I was.Needless to say I blew my stack(bet he remembers me next time). I have owned this rv for two months now and have not been able to use it! I do however continue to make the rather large payments on it. has anyone had any issues with thier windshields ,or any front cap issues ???

Sorry the model number is 37KT

rvbunz 12-24-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1856779)

Sorry the model number is 37KT

My windshield totally cracked while I was leveling my coach while at Thor service center. It was replaced there. We have a37Dt

SPovelko 12-24-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1856783)
My windshield totally cracked while I was leveling my coach while at Thor service center. It was replaced there. We have a37Dt

Sorry to hear that.I had not read of any windshield related issues with the Thor Challenger prior to purchasing the new rig. Starting to think we might have made a mistake.Thor does appear to be trying to resolve the problem.My wife and I are just sorely dissappointed about not being able to use our new coach.:sad:

rvbunz 12-24-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1856789)

Sorry to hear that.I had not read of any windshield related issues with the Thor Challenger prior to purchasing the new rig. Starting to think we might have made a mistake.Thor does appear to be trying to resolve the problem.My wife and I are just sorely dissappointed about not being able to use our new coach.:sad:

I know it is frustrating but once Thor takes care of the problems you will enjoy your coach. If you have any questions that I maybe able to help you with pm me, I'll do my best to help you out.
Merry Christmas

SPovelko 12-24-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1856795)
I know it is frustrating but once Thor takes care of the problems you will enjoy your coach. If you have any questions that I maybe able to help you with pm me, I'll do my best to help you out.
Merry Christmas

Thanks.They are supposed to call me back Friday with an update.

camaromance 12-25-2013 05:59 AM

Merry Christmas to all my RV Buddies. Wherever you are, I wish you and your's a happy and safe holiday.