iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 12-25-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1856857)
Thanks.They are supposed to call me back Friday with an update.

i'm fortunate in that I live within 700 miles of the factory. When Camping World created a severe leak while trying repair a squeak in my slide I was convinced that there are some issues best left to the factory service. While i was there getting mine repaired I met a guy with a Palazzo from San Diego the felt the same way. CW is ok for minor repairs but I no longer trust them for anything complex

DGShaffer 12-25-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1857078)
Merry Christmas to all my RV Buddies. Wherever you are, I wish you and your's a happy and safe holiday.

Merry Christmas from the rather chilly Gulf!

OC Bill 12-25-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1857085)
Merry Christmas from the rather chilly Gulf!

Merry Christmas from SoCal where the forcast for today is 80 degrees and sunny, sorry just had to rub it in :cool:

Bill

sbleiweiss 12-25-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1856779)
Sorry the model number is 37KT

We had the same issue with a 2013 DT. I think I have written about it here. Thor sent a driver to drive it to elkhart (because we said it was unsafe to drive) and replaced it. In the process, and with the windshield out, they were able to see that the cap wasn't pinned to the body like it should have been up above the windshield. Couldn't see that with the windshield in, even though we had been telling them we thought there was something wrong with the cap for months.Things seemed okay after the fix, although we traded it in on another MH a few months after.

rvbunz 12-25-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1857333)
We had the same issue with a 2013 DT. I think I have written about it here. Thor sent a driver to drive it to elkhart (because we said it was unsafe to drive) and replaced it. In the process, and with the windshield out, they were able to see that the cap wasn't pinned to the body like it should have been up above the windshield. Couldn't see that with the windshield in, even though we had been telling them we thought there was something wrong with the cap for months.Things seemed okay after the fix, although we traded it in on another MH a few months after.

What did you trade your DT in for? I mean what did you get?

sbleiweiss 12-26-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1857346)
What did you trade your DT in for? I mean what did you get?

After swearing that I would never buy a Thor again, we actually bought another one; this time a 2014 1/2 37KT. So we can stay in this forum <g>.

I have a theory/hope. It is that the 2013 problems with the Challengers were due to transition problems Thor had with the change-over from Damen. I have only driven the new one 2 1/2 hours home from Elkhart so far, but it seems much better built; solid and quiet on the road. No slide rattles, window rattles or road noise, all of which the 2013 DT had big time. Here's hoping.

We really liked the Kt last year when we bought the DT, but without a W/D option we felt we couldn't buy it. Loved the floorplan. Now they have added a W/D option in 2014 1/2 model. They made a couple of other changes that I don't like, but that is probably par for the course with MHs.
Some of them are fixable, like they took out all the carpeting. We put it back in.

Happy holidays everyone, from a frigid midwest 15 degrees.

rvbunz 12-26-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1858212)

After swearing that I would never buy a Thor again, we actually bought another one; this time a 2014 1/2 37KT. So we can stay in this forum <g>.

I have a theory/hope. It is that the 2013 problems with the Challengers were due to transition problems Thor had with the change-over from Damen. I have only driven the new one 2 1/2 hours home from Elkhart so far, but it seems much better built; solid and quiet on the road. No slide rattles, window rattles or road noise, all of which the 2013 DT had big time. Here's hoping.

We really liked the Kt last year when we bought the DT, but without a W/D option we felt we couldn't buy it. Loved the floorplan. Now they have added a W/D option in 2014 1/2 model. They made a couple of other changes that I don't like, but that is probably par for the course with MHs.
Some of them are fixable, like they took out all the carpeting. We put it back in.

Happy holidays everyone, from a frigid midwest 15 degrees.

What changes did try they make that you don't care for? I love the new caps and the 40" TV, but the wife doesn't like that they changed the color of the countertop. Going to the super rv show in Tampa in Jan, sure we will look at one. I had a dealer give me a price and it would cost me about 20k to trade mine in.

sbleiweiss 12-27-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1858603)
What changes did try they make that you don't care for? I love the new caps and the 40" TV, but the wife doesn't like that they changed the color of the countertop. Going to the super rv show in Tampa in Jan, sure we will look at one. I had a dealer give me a price and it would cost me about 20k to trade mine in.

That sounds like a good price. It cost us 27K. Does your price include an oven and W/D?

The things we don't like are:
countertop color
no carpet
gasoline port in rear
new control panel (levels check) design
no more 12 volt outlet at passenger seat
side shades don't fit right
added second gray water tank but only the W/D use it-would make more sense if kitchen sink did too
residential refer so no built in dividers like an RV refer
no more blue lights on the power cord to tell you it is powered up
really cheapened up the kitchen table compared to the 2013 KT-it is now made of oak instead of matching wood and no longer has a top that slides
stair well is right behind you when at refer-easy to fall down into well

I may be forgetting some.

rvbunz 12-27-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1859242)

That sounds like a good price. It cost us 27K. Does your price include an oven and W/D?

The things we don't like are:
countertop color
no carpet
gasoline port in rear
new control panel (levels check) design
no more 12 volt outlet at passenger seat
side shades don't fit right
added second gray water tank but only the W/D use it-would make more sense if kitchen sink did too
residential refer so no built in dividers like an RV refer
no more blue lights on the power cord to tell you it is powered up
really cheapened up the kitchen table compared to the 2013 KT-it is now made of oak instead of matching wood and no longer has a top that slides
stair well is right behind you when at refer-easy to fall down into well

I may be forgetting some.

Thanks, I may look at the TV show, but don't know if we would trade. I like the inside of mine too much to make a 20k trade, but who knows

rvbunz 12-27-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1859263)

Thanks, I may look at the TV show, but don't know if we would trade. I like the inside of mine too much to make a 20k trade, but who knows

That's rv show

rvbunz 12-27-2013 03:19 PM

Bruce, we have had a change in plans and won't be leaving home until Monday. We can stop by on Monday if you will still be there in SC.

bdickson 12-27-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1859714)
Bruce, we have had a change in plans and won't be leaving home until Monday. We can stop by on Monday if you will still be there in SC.

Bob, we'll be here until the end of February! Monday is good, as we work that day so I should be around the visitor center. I'll PM you my cell number.

bdickson 12-27-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1859242)

I wonder how hard it would be to install a pipe between the grey tanks, effectively making one large tank. Lack of grey water capacity is one of the (few) things I don't like about my 2013 37GT.

DGShaffer 12-27-2013 07:25 PM

There have been a bunch of discussions regarding the joining of the gray to the black tank. People wrote about adding a water pump in line between the two with a simple back flow preventor on the black tank connection.
I thought about that one once.

They also talk about putting a clear connector on the dump outlet with a third dump valve which allows you to simply balance the two as the gray fills up by opening the two mounted valves while leaving the added third valve closed, This is pretty simple but takes up a lot of room. Everything can be removed easily when you're at a full hook-up site but just run a hose out of the open door at a dump station when it's all hooked up.

sbleiweiss 12-28-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1859907)
I wonder how hard it would be to install a pipe between the grey tanks, effectively making one large tank. Lack of grey water capacity is one of the (few) things I don't like about my 2013 37GT.

Or why didn't they just put in one 80 gallon tank to begin with? Connecting might work. But I'd be happy if the W/D and kitchen sink went into one and the bathroom went into the other. That would effectively balance the flows and extend the time between needing to dump, at least with our water useage. This Fall we were stuck in a park for 5 days where you had to drive to the dump station. Very disruptive. We're spoiled using a lot of water and needing to dump at least every other day.

Couldn't find a single RV park on Long Island that had full hookup.

bdickson 12-28-2013 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was getting fed up banging my head under the slide when accessing my tool compartment. So, today's project was a sliding tray. I priced them online, got severe sticker shock and went to Lowes lumber department. Total material cost was right on $50. The slide runners are rated at 100 pounds. I found that a 24x48 inch piece of plywood fit without cutting. Only problem now is, DW likes it so much she wants them in "her" compartments.

rvbunz 12-28-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1860766)
I was getting fed up banging my head under the slide when accessing my tool compartment. So, today's project was a sliding tray. I priced them online, got severe sticker shock and went to Lowes lumber department. Total material cost was right on $50. The slide runners are rated at 100 pounds. I found that a 24x48 inch piece of plywood fit without cutting. Only problem now is, DW likes it so much she wants them in "her" compartments.

Looks good, can you have a couple ready by Monday when I stop by?

bdickson 12-28-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1860769)
Looks good, can you have a couple ready by Monday when I stop by?

No problem Bob, I'll run over to Lowes right away! :D

DMcRaney 12-29-2013 04:00 PM

Bruce, could you take some pics and explain how you mounted the slides in the bay? Did you carpet them? They look great and would like to add some.

David

bdickson 12-29-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcRaney (Post 1862031)
Bruce, could you take some pics and explain how you mounted the slides in the bay? Did you carpet them? They look great and would like to add some.

David

I just got back from Lowes with materials for another 3 slide drawers. I'll take pictures as assembly and installation proceeds, but basically there is a 3x1x24 inch board at each side with the slide runner screwed to it. There's about 1 inch of packing at each end of the rail, and it is secured by drilling through the rail, packing and compartment side and running 2.5 inch carriage bolts through the holes. Hardest part was getting the rails aligned parallel and with the correct clearance for the rails. I used a pack of wooden door frame shims to get the adjustment spot on. The first tray took 2 days total, I expect the next 3 will take no more than a day.

I didn't carpet them yet. If I add anything, I'll probably use rubber matting of some kind.

rvbunz 12-29-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1862042)
I just got back from Lowes with materials for another 3 slide drawers. I'll take pictures as assembly and installation proceeds, but basically there is a 3x1x24 inch board at each side with the slide runner screwed to it. There's about 1 inch of packing at each end of the rail, and it is secured by drilling through the rail, packing and compartment side and running 2.5 inch carriage bolts through the holes. Hardest part was getting the rails aligned parallel and with the correct clearance for the rails. I used a pack of wooden door frame shims to get the adjustment spot on. The first tray took 2 days total, I expect the next 3 will take no more than a day.

I didn't carpet them yet. If I add anything, I'll probably use rubber matting of some kind.

Need to do it in an hour if mine are going to get done when I stop by tomorrow. LOL

Claudia44 12-30-2013 04:32 PM

Sewer Pipe Fitting

I have had a 37GT for a year now and read a thread on the external pipe and not being able to close the storage door when connected to sewer. My solution was to cut off the entire pipe and get a 10" straight coupler that fit through the opening. Now, I can unhook the straight pipe and secure the end cap to the tank end pipe. My flex hose connects to the other end of the straight pipe. Then to solve the cable/water connection, with no outlet available, I had a hole drilled to accommodate both. Wish an RVer was part of the design phase! Other than that, I love my Thor. Fortunately, I live in Fl and do a lot of weekend trips all year.

DGShaffer 12-30-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1860766)

Great job Bruce. The price of slides is always pretty steep if you try to match them to the load as well as getting full extension. That looks great!

DGShaffer 12-30-2013 05:33 PM

Anyone adjust their headlights yet? I looked back there but the adjusters aren't visible at a glance so if anyone knows where they are I could use a little help.

Thanks!

sbleiweiss 12-31-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudia44 (Post 1863348)
I have had a 37GT for a year now and read a thread on the external pipe and not being able to close the storage door when connected to sewer. My solution was to cut off the entire pipe and get a 10" straight coupler that fit through the opening. Now, I can unhook the straight pipe and secure the end cap to the tank end pipe. My flex hose connects to the other end of the straight pipe. Then to solve the cable/water connection, with no outlet available, I had a hole drilled to accommodate both. Wish an RVer was part of the design phase! Other than that, I love my Thor. Fortunately, I live in Fl and do a lot of weekend trips all year.

Thor has solved those problems on the 14 1/2 models.

rvbunz 12-31-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudia44 (Post 1863348)

Can you post pictures

rvbunz 12-31-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1862074)

Need to do it in an hour if mine are going to get done when I stop by tomorrow. LOL

I would like to thank Bruce for his help while I was traveling south on I 95. I was able to pull in to his area and get fresh water. Thanks Bruce. Rv'ers helping each other.

JohnG2013KT 12-31-2013 10:39 AM

Hey Guys ... I need some help ... I am 1200 miles from my RV .. and need the diameter of the tires ... ? .. I am considering taking advantage of the CW sale today on the Tyre Guard tire covers .. Is anyone close enough to their coach that can go and measure them to tell me the diameter of the the 22.5" tires we have?

Thanks in advance ...
John

bdickson 12-31-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1864265)
Hey Guys ... I need some help ... I am 1200 miles from my RV .. and need the diameter of the tires ... ? .. I am considering taking advantage of the CW sale today on the Tyre Guard tire covers .. Is anyone close enough to their coach that can go and measure them to tell me the diameter of the the 22.5" tires we have?

Thanks in advance ...
John

Mine are 37.5 inches measured from ground up to top of tread.

rvbunz 01-01-2014 06:47 AM

Thought the tired size was posted on the box?

JohnG2013KT 01-01-2014 10:13 AM

Thanks Bruce ...

Thanks Bruce .. appreciate the help ...

DGShaffer 01-01-2014 05:10 PM

I installed Mike's 5 Star Tune before heading out on our trip to the Gulf. What I found was that this tune was shifting from 4th to 3rd and the RPM was jumping into the near 5k range on quite a few inclines where I didn't feel it should have. I was happy with the first tune I installed on my Outlaw. On this trip I was towing a trailer so I expected it to have to work harder but I felt that if the tune could hold that 4th gear just long enough to allow the horse power to build that it would pull just fine.

While I was at the place down south I wrote to Mike and tried to describe what I was seeing and what I thought would help. After just a couple of emails I received a REV 1 to the tune I was running. I installed it on the trip home and it's now exactly as I like. It will downshift to 3rd on extreme climbs but for the most part sits in 4th and the MPH slowly climbs back to where I had it set. Mike is the best when it comes to customer care and is on top of everything!

bdickson 01-01-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1865987)
I installed Mike's 5 Star Tune before heading out on our trip to the Gulf. What I found was that this tune was shifting from 4th to 3rd and the RPM was jumping into the near 5k range on quite a few inclines where I didn't feel it should have. I was happy with the first tune I installed on my Outlaw. On this trip I was towing a trailer so I expected it to have to work harder but I felt that if the tune could hold that 4th gear just long enough to allow the horse power to build that it would pull just fine.

While I was at the place down south I wrote to Mike and tried to describe what I was seeing and what I thought would help. After just a couple of emails I received a REV 1 to the tune I was running. I installed it on the trip home and it's now exactly as I like. It will downshift to 3rd on extreme climbs but for the most part sits in 4th and the MPH slowly climbs back to where I had it set. Mike is the best when it comes to customer care and is on top of everything!

Don, were you running in Cruise when you were getting the high RPM's downshift? And is it the "87 Octane Every Day Tow" tune that you have?

DGShaffer 01-01-2014 07:47 PM

I wasn't very clear on that but, yes, I was trying to use the cruise control, and the tune does have that name.

I also averaged 7.2 MPG throughout the near 3k trip all while towing the trailer. The added horsepower and response can actually reduce your gas mileage since it's nice having the added power. If you drive at moderate speeds (I was at 65 and less) you'll get to enjoy the added miles per gallon.

Webman9113 01-04-2014 06:34 PM

We just joined the Challenger clan, having picked up our new 37KT (2014.5 model) Thursday from Camping World at Bartow, FL! I've been keeping tabs on this thread for ideas and issues to watch for. So far - knock on wood! - the only issues we've had are a check engine light, which I'll have checked out at our local Ford dealer, and a poor caulking job around the shower, which the dealer redid.

While it's not a "techincal" issue, the bedroom mattress has GOT to go! The only thing I've slept on that was harder than that thing has been sheer rock! Memory foam mattress, here we come.

Overall, I've been very happy with the handling. Leaving the dealer in Bartow, we headed to the KOA in Kissimmee right in the middle of a storm, and it was very pleasant to drive, and also didn't shake our teeth out like the 36' Damon coach we had a few years ago (tires are at 90 PSI, as per the placard by the driver's seat).

Really, really love the layout. Thor did themselves good on this one!

Oh, there is one little thing that I really hate so far: the handle on the screen door is way too rickety. Need to find a replacement for that!

Other than that, so far we're really pleased and can't wait to take it out for longer trips!

DGShaffer 01-04-2014 08:40 PM

Welcome and congratulations on your new Challenger.

Depending on your weight you can even back off on that 90 PSI a bit. I run 85 in the duals and 75 in the front based on Michelin's pressure chart which can be found Here

I drove mine out to the factory in Elkhart Indiana to let them do the work on my slide and while out there they repaired a bunch of other small issues, one of which was the securing of the shower walls and re-chalking it. Another thing to be mindful of is the exterior calk around the molding on the slides. I think that was where the leak in my slide was coming from as it had split almost the entire length of the trim and was acting like a funnel for water running down the slide wall.

Face it, these thing take a pounding being driven so expect things to break and go wrong. Maintain a list and before your 1 year is up, bring it in to have everything addressed at once.

Ask away if you have any questions or concerns and these fine owners will be quick to jump in to help as best they can.

M72561 01-05-2014 12:18 PM

winterizing challenger 2014 37KT

It's my 1st year winterizing an RV an I am looking for suggestions. I am going to blow out the lines and pour some anti-freeze in the bathroom and kitchen sink. I was also going to take the batteries out for the winter. I live in Coastal eastern NC so it doesn't get bitterly cold. All input would be appreciated. I keep my RV in an opened end carport in addition to an RV cover.

thanks

Mark

camaromance 01-05-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M72561 (Post 1871263)
It's my 1st year winterizing an RV an I am looking for suggestions. I am going to blow out the lines and pour some anti-freeze in the bathroom and kitchen sink. I was also going to take the batteries out for the winter. I live in Coastal eastern NC so it doesn't get bitterly cold. All input would be appreciated. I keep my RV in an opened end carport in addition to an RV cover. thanks Mark

Hey Mark,

I live up the coast from you in Maryland and I just did the same thing. Mine is a 2013 37kt. I suggest you also put some antifreeze in the black tank and leave a little in the toilet. I was surprised at how long it took to get the water out of the toilet lines. Also, I recommend that after you have drained the fresh water tank and with the air supply attached, turn the valve to power fill and run your water pump with a faucet on for a few seconds to get the water out of the pump. Don't forget to blow down the black water tank flushing line, too.

I leave mine plugged in to keep the coach batteries charged. The trickle charge will keep them from freezing. I've never had a problem doing that. Also, I'm lazy and don't care to move a couple hundred pounds of batteries, either.

Yours should have the washer hookup as well. I don't know anything about how that works due to the 2013 not having that feature. If you have an ice maker, there is a procedure for blowing that line out too. Again, I don't have that feature either but have read the solenoid is easy to burn up. The author of this post, Don, had that problem. Maybe he could weigh in if your concerned.

Good luck. I always get nervous around this time of year hoping I didn't forget anything. Guess I'll know next spring...

DGShaffer 01-05-2014 08:08 PM

Blowing out the lines will work as long as you are methodical and keep it up until you get all the air out.

You'll still need to pull the drain plug on your water heater but you can leave the bypass closed. Also pull the filter canister and filter from the wet bay.

I've done it doth ways and I actually feel that closing the bypass on the water heater and water filter, then using the water pump to draw in a few gallons of antifreeze is easier and faster. As Jim pointed out, if you have a washing machine you want to include that. The ice maker is a little tricky since you have to create a power cord to energize the water solenoid in order to get antifreeze to flow through, even to allow the line to be blown out. Here is my post regarding the powering of the solenoid. I pull 120 volts right out of the outside outlet on the MH. Be warned, don't leave this energized for any longer than you need to get the air or antifreeze through the lines. If you do I'll give the ordering information for a replacement solenoid

camaromance 01-05-2014 08:31 PM

Don, how do you bypass the water heater and how do you get the antifreeze to the water pump?

DGShaffer 01-06-2014 05:05 AM

To locate the water heater in your unit you need to correlate the vent on the outside to a location inside. Mine is under my lift up storage under my bed. I have to remove about 10 screw to be able to take off a panel to get access to it. It's a three valve assembly right on the water tank similar to the valves that bypass the filter cartridge in the wet bay. To bypass you open the center valve and close the two going into the water heater. This sounds silly but you have to remember to close the center valve in the spring or you'll get nothing but cold to warm water. A guy had a problem on this board where his hot water was only warm. I suggested he check that valve and he had left it open.

To use the water pump to draw antifreeze into your water system there is a long white hose in the compartment where the water tank is. It's connected to a valve that you open and there is another valve right next to it that you close. This lets the pump suck in antifreeze rather than water from the tank. The hose should be long enough to push into the bottom of an antifreeze jug with it sitting on the ground.

Then all you do is go inside, turn on your water pump then slowly open every valve one at a time until you see antifreeze then close it.

I start with the outside low point hot and cold drains, them the outside shower (I also remove the shower head since they crack really easy in the cold). Then I do the bathroom sink (hot and cold), shower, washing machine by starting it on warm for about 30 seconds, the toilet (leaving some in the toilet), then the kitchen sink (hot and cold). Then I power the ice maker until to flows antifreeze into the ice bin.

camaromance 01-06-2014 05:16 PM

Makes perfect sense. I was wondering what that long hose was for. I thought it was another drain for the fresh water tank. I'll have to look for the 3 valves on the hot water heater next fall. Thanks, Don.

M72561 01-06-2014 06:35 PM

Thanks for all the great advice.I dry winterized mine today,Air to blow out lines , anti-freeze in P traps, I don't have a washer,dryer or ice maker. I hope all will be well come spring

DGShaffer 01-06-2014 07:59 PM

In this upcoming cold spell you should pull off that outside plastic shower head. Those things split right down the middle in no time if they freeze. I went through two of them so far.

sbleiweiss 01-07-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1873229)
Makes perfect sense. I was wondering what that long hose was for. I thought it was another drain for the fresh water tank. I'll have to look for the 3 valves on the hot water heater next fall. Thanks, Don.

Ha ha. I thought the same thing. In fact I used it to drain the water tank once when I wanted fresh water. Didn't work worth a darn and I finally went around the other side and ran the outside shower too. Duh!

DGShaffer 01-07-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1874096)
Ha ha. I thought the same thing. In fact I used it to drain the water tank once when I wanted fresh water. Didn't work worth a darn and I finally went around the other side and ran the outside shower too. Duh!

To drain the tank there is a valve in the wet bay just to drain the tank

rvbunz 01-07-2014 07:09 PM

I filled my water tank for the trip to key west where I would be dry camping, however on the way down my DW went to use the bathroom and the pump came on but wouldn't pump water. I noticed a Camping World right off 95 in Coca Fl so I asked them to check it. They ended up replacing the pump. Working when I tested it. Checked my tank and they had filled it. When I got to the campground at KeyWest NAS, I tried the pump and it would pump again. Well before I left CW I closed a valve under the water tank and I guess it has to stay open to use the pump. There are two valves on that line one on top of the other. Looks like the bottom valve opens the drain. I also lost half a tank of water and I can only assume it was because I had that valve close and the water drained from the top drain where the hose runs down behind the mud flap. I'm going to fill tank when I leave here with valve open and see if tank stays full.

Mwoodofd 01-07-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1874997)
I filled my water tank for the trip to key west where I would be dry camping, however on the way down my DW went to use the bathroom and the pump came on but wouldn't pump water. I noticed a Camping World right off 95 in Coca Fl so I asked them to check it. They ended up replacing the pump. Working when I tested it. Checked my tank and they had filled it. When I got to the campground at KeyWest NAS, I tried the pump and it would pump again. Well before I left CW I closed a valve under the water tank and I guess it has to stay open to use the pump. There are two valves on that line one on top of the other. Looks like the bottom valve opens the drain. I also lost half a tank of water and I can only assume it was because I had that valve close and the water drained from the top drain where the hose runs down behind the mud flap. I'm going to fill tank when I leave here with valve open and see if tank stays full.

Bob, my 37DT had a recall notice on the overflow system on my unit, and the dealer corrected it. My coach would drain the tank while driving. I have my coach back in the shop with the large slide grinding while driving again, and the kitchen slide is doing it too, but not as bad. How has your slide repairs held up. On perfect road, mine are fine, but with any sway, bump, roll, or front to back rocking, and I mean minor motion, not rough road, the slides are moving and grinding. I am hoping that Thor has a fix for these larger slides. Been reading most of the posts, and it is hard to tell if the repairs they are now doing are holding up. It is definitely a design issue, and my year of ownership is coming in April, and I hope it is corrected this time, or I will go another direction. We like the coach, but refuse to put up with it. Hope your holidays were great, and you and your family are well.

DGShaffer 01-08-2014 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1874997)

The valves you talk about are designed to allow the pump to either get water from the fresh water tank or from the hose that you put into the jug of anti freeze. The one right off of the white hose stays closed and the other open under normal operation. The white tube is not a drain. The drain is in the wet bay.

My fresh water tank has two over flow tubes. Since it is a power fill system that allows you to fill it with pressurized water rather than just from sticking a hose in the outside fill connection, it needs a lot of venting ability since the tank can explode under that much pressure. I found soft rubber plugs that are sort of like the expanding foam ear plugs you see in bike shops and gun ranges. I insert those into the two vent lines just far enough so that I can grab them and pull them back out. They keep the water from sloshing out through the vent tubes while traveling. They fit tight enough to hold what little water might try to leak out but can be blown out if I'm power filling the tank and it over pressures.

I've heard of guys putting valves in the vent tubes. That's a recipe for disaster!

DGShaffer 01-08-2014 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1875163)
Bob, my 37DT had a recall notice on the overflow system on my unit, and the dealer corrected it. My coach would drain the tank while driving. I have my coach back in the shop with the large slide grinding while driving again, and the kitchen slide is doing it too, but not as bad. How has your slide repairs held up. On perfect road, mine are fine, but with any sway, bump, roll, or front to back rocking, and I mean minor motion, not rough road, the slides are moving and grinding. I am hoping that Thor has a fix for these larger slides. Been reading most of the posts, and it is hard to tell if the repairs they are now doing are holding up. It is definitely a design issue, and my year of ownership is coming in April, and I hope it is corrected this time, or I will go another direction. We like the coach, but refuse to put up with it. Hope your holidays were great, and you and your family are well.

I had a local shop (CW) try to fix a squeaking (rubber on paint) sound in both of my slides. They not only didn't fix it but they created a massive leak in the main slide. I ended up driving it to the Thor factory in Elkhart Indiana for that as well as a bunch of small repairs. This thing is better than new. Not a single sound while driving from anything and it's as leak tight as my house and we drover through some of the worst rain I've ever experienced on our trip south to Gulf Shores last month. It was a 650 mile one way trip for me to get there but I was there with a couple from North Carolina and one from SanDiego. The couple form California drove 2500 miles one way to get there. We all had a great time in the lot as well as going out to do different factory tours while we were there.

sbleiweiss 01-08-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Our 2013 DT had the bad slide noises. Thor's fix seemed to much improve them (not perfect). As I have written here before, we just traded for a 2014 1/2 KT. Those slides are very quiet. The tech gave me an explanation of how they were different kinds of mechanisms. He thought we wouldn't even need to use the braces on them. I have only test driven it and brought it home from Elkhart so far, but so far he is right. Sorry I can't repeat the mechanism details, they went over my head.

rvbunz 01-08-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Mark
I think I have the overflow problem and will get it checked out. I'm going back to Elkhart for some more warranty work. The wiper seal under my galley slide is coming off and camping world is afraid to touch it. Yes my slide repair is doing exactly what yours is doing. I have them looking at it again.

Mwoodofd 01-09-2014 08:00 AM

Thank you for your replies above. My dealer, and Thor have contacted me this week regarding my coach. (happy about that). The RV show is in Fort Worth this weekend, and the wife and I will attend, and hope to see representatives from Thor there. Never been to a show, hopefully the slide people are there too. Not going to complain or bash, but to see if I can figure out what needs to be done. Bob, my overflow hose was the one on the right when looking at the tank. The dealer cut completely plugged that hose. Not sure if they added another one, but I did overfill my tank in Colorado last July, and the overflow came from somewhere under the Bedroom slide area - scared me because I thought the water somehow backed up into my coach, and was flooding the inside of the MH somehow. I 'll let you know here how the show went and any information I find out on Sunday.

Webman9113 01-09-2014 11:13 AM

I'm planning to install 90 PSI Crossfires on the rear wheels of our 37KT, and was wondering if there are any mounting issues I should be aware of? I'm going to have our local Ford dealer (who's going to do the general chassis service) install them, as I don't have the right wrenches to take off the wheel lugs. I'm also wondering if I should be concerned about the Crossfire's hoses rubbing/abrading against the edges of the wheel holes?

Also, while I'm generally very pleased with the way the coach drives, I think rear sway bars are in order, especially before my wife drives it. Any recommendations on that?

Oh, and BTW - if you should find water leaking along the driver side outside wall just above the basement doors near where the fridge is (or out from under the fridge area inside), check the water line to the ice maker. Ours had a pretty bad leak where it plugs into the fridge. I turned off the supply valve (which, in our coach - 2014.5 37KT - is behind the bottom drawer under the cooktop), and that stopped it. So that's on our very short fix list for the coach, with a check engine light and check fuel cap warning on the list for the coach.

Beyond that, we're loving our Challenger and ready to go out again as soon as we can! :-)

DGShaffer 01-09-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 1877128)
I'm planning to install 90 PSI Crossfires on the rear wheels of our 37KT, and was wondering if there are any mounting issues I should be aware of? I'm going to have our local Ford dealer (who's going to do the general chassis service) install them, as I don't have the right wrenches to take off the wheel lugs. I'm also wondering if I should be concerned about the Crossfire's hoses rubbing/abrading against the edges of the wheel holes?

I installed mine shortly after I bought the coach. It's really easy and does not require removal of the wheels. I drilled a hole through the hub cap and bolted the unit right to that. I used a large washer give it a little space off of the sheet metal.

Photos of the install can be found HERE

Webman9113 01-09-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1877147)
I installed mine shortly after I bought the coach. It's really easy and does not require removal of the wheels. I drilled a hole through the hub cap and bolted the unit right to that. I used a large washer give it a little space off of the sheet metal.

Thanks, Don! I'll give that a try!

bdickson 01-09-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1877147)

My install was almost identical. None of the supplied mounting hardware fits the wheel nuts. Just drill the hub cap and bolt it on.

bdickson 01-09-2014 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just finished installing HID headlights on the passenger side. (Drivers side tomorrow). Very nice kits from hidextra.com. It was hard to take pictures of glaringly bright lights, but these should give an idea of the difference. I also swapped out the turn signal/parking light bulbs and the DRL bulbs for LED's which can just be seen in the pictures.

DGShaffer 01-09-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1877440)
I just finished installing HID headlights on the passenger side. (Drivers side tomorrow). Very nice kits from hidextra.com. It was hard to take pictures of glaringly bright lights, but these should give an idea of the difference. I also swapped out the turn signal/parking light bulbs and the DRL bulbs for LED's which can just be seen in the pictures.

Did you figure out how to aim them? I'm trying raise mine up.

bdickson 01-09-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1877578)
Did you figure out how to aim them? I'm trying raise mine up.

don, there are two adjusters on the back of the light cluster. One is for the Daytime Running Light immediately above the inboard turn signal and the other one appears to be for the headlights. I haven't adjusted it since I don't have anything in front of the rig to use as an aiming point. Interesting find, the light clusters on our 2013 Challengers are from the 2006 Cadillac Escalade. Go figure.

DGShaffer 01-09-2014 08:03 PM

Can you take a picture pointing them out? As much as I looked, I can't seem to see anything that looks like it would adjust the aim.

bdickson 01-09-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1877786)
Can you take a picture pointing them out? As much as I looked, I can't seem to see anything that looks like it would adjust the aim.

I'll try but there's not a lot of space back there. Changing out the bulbs on the drivers side is going to be a nightmare. The fuse and relay panel is blocking off what little access space there is.

DGShaffer 01-10-2014 04:52 AM

I noticed that and don't envy you trying to replace it. I tried after market HID's on a couple of bikes I've owned and found that they seem to blow out too often. The units the auto manufacturers install at the factory must be required to pass very stringent QC protocol.

If you can just hold a pencil or screw driver up pointing to where the adjuster is and snap a photo of that it would get me looking in the right area. Much apreciated!

DGShaffer 01-10-2014 05:56 AM

I looked up the 2006 Escalade owners manual and it gave me specific information on adjusting them so I'm good. Thanks for letting me know where the assemblies came from!

SPovelko 01-10-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1857084)
i'm fortunate in that I live within 700 miles of the factory. When Camping World created a severe leak while trying repair a squeak in my slide I was convinced that there are some issues best left to the factory service. While i was there getting mine repaired I met a guy with a Palazzo from San Diego the felt the same way. CW is ok for minor repairs but I no longer trust them for anything complex

Apparently you were right DG. Campingworld is telling me they can not make the repair to the windshield safely. Thor is insisting it can be fixed and is speaking with Camping world about the repair ,saying if they can not fix it they will send the RV back to California for repairs.Meanwhile I have made my third $1000.00 payment and still can not use my new RV. My lawyer is calling me back tonight with options...Sorry Thor ,but you will not be getting any of my buisness in the future once I dump this piece of [Moderator Edit]. My buddy who just traded his 5th wheel in was going to buy a Thor class A until he heard my story. He just bought a class A Fleetwood. Wish I would have...:mad:

DGShaffer 01-10-2014 02:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. It's unfortunate that you had to have such a bad experience right out of the gate. No one can blame you for feeling the way you do or blame you for being mad at the manufacturer. If I had your initial experience, I definitely would not be driving my third Thor product. Fortunately for me and a great percentage of Thor owners, we have had the pleasure of owning a great product. If most Thor units were suffering from issues as you're experiencing, they would not be the largest RV manufacturer in the world.

Best of luck getting the windshield repaired and with your bid to get out from under the unit.

rvbunz 01-10-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1878631)

Apparently you were right DG. Campingworld is telling me they can not make the repair to the windshield safely. Thor is insisting it can be fixed and is speaking with Camping world about the repair ,saying if they can not fix it they will send the RV back to California for repairs.Meanwhile I have made my third $1000.00 payment and still can not use my new RV. My lawyer is calling me back tonight with options...Sorry Thor ,but you will not be getting any of my buisness in the future once I dump this piece of [Moderator Edit]. My buddy who just traded his 5th wheel in was going to buy a Thor class A until he heard my story. He just bought a class A Fleetwood. Wish I would have...:mad:

I agree with Dave. Sorry to hear about you experience. I have a slide gasket problem that camping world is afraid to touch so I'm going to Elkhart to get it fixed. Yes I know it's time but they will make it right and I will be asking for fuel money. I have had a Damon now Thor challenger and I live it.

SPovelko 01-10-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1878663)
I agree with Dave. Sorry to hear about you experience. I have a slide gasket problem that camping world is afraid to touch so I'm going to Elkhart to get it fixed. Yes I know it's time but they will make it right and I will be asking for fuel money. I have had a Damon now Thor challenger and I live it.

My wife and I were really looking forward to owning our first class A ,and specifically picked Thor due to thier reputation. Unfortunatly for us its been nothing short of a nightmare dealing with Thor ,and now camping world. It is just a shame I now have to get my attorney involved...Really dissappointing.:sad:

sbleiweiss 01-11-2014 09:58 AM

I have a theory about the problems with these 2013 Challengers. Didn't Thor just buy Damen? Was 2013 the first production year after the sale? Maybe all the 2013 problems were due to the transition and or worker morale issues. Thor seems to have made quite a few changes in the 2014.5 models, and ours at least, seems well built.

DGShaffer 01-11-2014 04:19 PM

I spoke with locals while there and from what they said, Thor was the place to work and everyone was hoping to get in there so I doubt moral is the issue.

They did purchase Monaco and all of their factories in the area so transitioning to new facilities can cause confusion as well as production delays that translate into quality issues.

It took a bit of a haul for me to get my motor home back there but I was not disappointed. I experienced wind damage to the entry door as well as the anti-billowing device to the slide topper on the drive out there which they repaired without question and never charged me a dime. They even picked up the cost of my rental car for the extra day they kept it to install the shims needed to level the coach (a Ford chassis issue).

This is my third Thor/Damon product and it surely won't be my last as long as their floor plans meet my needs.

SPovelko 01-11-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1880009)
I spoke with locals while there and from what they said, Thor was the place to work and everyone was hoping to get in there so I doubt moral is the issue.

They did purchase Monaco and all of their factories in the area so transitioning to new facilities can cause confusion as well as production delays that translate into quality issues.

It took a bit of a haul for me to get my motor home back there but I was not disappointed. I experienced wind damage to the entry door as well as the anti-billowing device to the slide topper on the drive out there which they repaired without question and never charged me a dime. They even picked up the cost of my rental car for the extra day they kept it to install the shims needed to level the coach (a Ford chassis issue).

This is my third Thor/Damon product and it surely won't be my last as long as their floor plans meet my needs.

I probably would'nt be as upset if I didn't have to chase Thor around about this. The majority of the time I have to call them as they will not call me back ,even when they say they will. Thats ok I hired the best lemon law lawyer in California yesterday.:dance:

DGShaffer 01-11-2014 06:08 PM

Hopefully you'll be able to sell it once they make the repairs. The deprecation will be tough to swallow though. As I understand Lemon Laws, the dealer is offered three attempts to make repairs on a reoccurring issue. They will most likely send a driver down to the selling dealer and drive it back to Indiana to make sure that the repairs are done correctly. Then they will drive it back.

I have a feeling that the large portion of your issue is with Camping World. Most of their repair facilities have been getting poor reviews. Even my local CW which had performed really well on my other Thor products. They dropped the ball on my slide issue. The factory however understands how they work and made repairs to a degree that I couldn't be more satisfied.

Best of luck and my hope is that once the factory gets involved, you'll change your opinion and enjoy your Challenger as much as us other owners do.

Mwoodofd 01-12-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1880171)
Hopefully you'll be able to sell it once they make the repairs. The deprecation will be tough to swallow though. As I understand Lemon Laws, the dealer is offered three attempts to make repairs on a reoccurring issue. They will most likely send a driver down to the selling dealer and drive it back to Indiana to make sure that the repairs are done correctly. Then they will drive it back. I have a feeling that the large portion of your issue is with Camping World. Most of their repair facilities have been getting poor reviews. Even my local CW which had performed really well on my other Thor products. They dropped the ball on my slide issue. The factory however understands how they work and made repairs to a degree that I couldn't be more satisfied. Best of luck and my hope is that once the factory gets involved, you'll change your opinion and enjoy your Challenger as much as us other owners do.

I'm in the same place. I have ask Thor several times, been persistent, about bringing my coach to them (1100 miles, one way), and they keep pushing me back to the dealer. We like our 37DT too, but are not going to live with it. It is a shame to have to get a lawyer involved to get them to do the right thing. I do not blame my dealer, Thor even flew techs down to Dallas to work on my unit last June. With no plan or to be able to tell me what will be done different, I will follow the same path. Been to shop about 5 times for this, and shims, replacement rollers are not the answer. If there is not a design change from my current configuration for the large slides, I will seek a refund. Thor was not at the RV show in Fort Worth, but the show looked like it was sponsored by 6 to7 dealers in the area, so I could not speak to Thor Representatives. The dealer that sold me is such a large Thor Dealer, the have their own show in the spring at the dealers location. Hopefully they can get things done with their influence and relationship with the factory.

rvbunz 01-12-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1880803)

I'm in the same place. I have ask Thor several times, been persistent, about bringing my coach to them (1100 miles, one way), and they keep pushing me back to the dealer. We like our 37DT too, but are not going to live with it. It is a shame to have to get a lawyer involved to get them to do the right thing. I do not blame my dealer, Thor even flew techs down to Dallas to work on my unit last June. With no plan or to be able to tell me what will be done different, I will follow the same path. Been to shop about 5 times for this, and shims, replacement rollers are not the answer. If there is not a design change from my current configuration for the large slides, I will seek a refund. Thor was not at the RV show in Fort Worth, but the show looked like it was sponsored by 6 to7 dealers in the area, so I could not speak to Thor Representatives. The dealer that sold me is such a large Thor Dealer, the have their own show in the spring at the dealers location. Hopefully they can get things done with their influence and relationship with the factory.

Mark as you know I have the same issue with the slide as you do. I did take it to the factory and was treated extremely well. Still have s little noise issue like you still have and I also have a writer seal coming off on the galley slide. I've made an appointment for 31 march and will get everything done before the warranty runs out. I will be asking to be reimbursed for my fuel. I know it's like1800 miles round trip and I have the time to do it so I'm more comfortable with them doing it.

Mwoodofd 01-12-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1880837)
Mark as you know I have the same issue with the slide as you do. I did take it to the factory and was treated extremely well. Still have s little noise issue like you still have and I also have a writer seal coming off on the galley slide. I've made an appointment for 31 march and will get everything done before the warranty runs out. I will be asking to be reimbursed for my fuel. I know it's like1800 miles round trip and I have the time to do it so I'm more comfortable with them doing it.

Bob, I will see what the dealer and Thor come up with, hope to know something this coming week. If all else fails, I may see if I can get in too around the end of March. (might see you there) My Next trip to the dealer I will inspect a 2014.5 model and see if the visible slide material and positions of the track and rollers are the same, or different. It is clear that the current configuration is not holding the slide box still. Unfortunately, my wife won't drive, so I have not been able to watch and see if I can tell what the grind is. Planning several trips this spring, and a 2-3 week trip in June/ July to Wisconsin. Hope to see you on the road sometime.

rvbunz 01-12-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1881469)

Bob, I will see what the dealer and Thor come up with, hope to know something this coming week. If all else fails, I may see if I can get in too around the end of March. (might see you there) My Next trip to the dealer I will inspect a 2014.5 model and see if the visible slide material and positions of the track and rollers are the same, or different. It is clear that the current configuration is not holding the slide box still. Unfortunately, my wife won't drive, so I have not been able to watch and see if I can tell what the grind is. Planning several trips this spring, and a 2-3 week trip in June/ July to Wisconsin. Hope to see you on the road sometime.

If you can plan a trip to Elkhart try to schedule for 31 March and we can hang out and get it fixed right. Hope to see you on the road. I have about 55 members in the tmcoc. How to get some activities going this year.

tedgard01 01-12-2014 09:38 PM

Hi to the folks in the Challenger thread.

I guess I am going to be another member, because in just ordered a new 2014.5 37GT. They are building it now and I expect delivery some time in February.

In reading this thread, I realize that some are very happy with their Thor product and others are not. I have not seen any other brand of coach that is in the same relative category and price range that only has satisfied customers either yet.

Regardless, I am hoping I made a good choice. I expect that my experience may result in some issues, but I hope none that are extreme.

As I have a few weeks before delivery, I'd like to try to come up with a walkthrough list of items to check out before taking delivery. Those things that you would have wished you should have found in your walkthrough, but overlooked, as well as the items that you knew were critical to review.

Any help that you can provide me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

DGShaffer 01-13-2014 05:02 AM

I found this one and just modified it for my particular unit. When I picked up my MH I brought this list. As the tech was walking me through the coach I politely showed it to him and told him that I would find him once I was done. It took me and my wife about 90 minutes to get through it all one at a time and because of that I had a small list of issues and concerns ready. He went through his part of the walk through then proceeded to fix what he could on the spot but I still had to come back once more for items he couldn't repair on the spot.

At one point I shot out from under the coach on my creeper and one of the service writers noted that seeing someone on a creeper was a first for him.

I picked mine up in February as well and asked that the water system be de-winterized and filled so that I could check the faucets and inspect for leaks. The tech taught me how to build a jumper for the solenoid on the ice maker because once I got it home I had to winterize it.

As noted, this isn't specific to the Challenger but once you go through it you'll be able to delete and add items to make it model specific. I hope it helps.

================================================== ==

Bring a 120 VAC outlet tester
Note pad and pencil
Flashlight
something 12 volts to test the AUX 12vdc power outlets
A mechanics creeper helps to view the underneath
Tire pressure gauge
Soft soled shoes for walking the roof

GENERAL ITEMS
Factory manuals accounted for
Verify all items on bill of sale.
Spare set of keys

EXTERIOR
Inspect roof: Paint okay, solar panel, through-the-air TV antenna, radio antenna, dual LNB on the satellite dish, sealant around through-the-roof items, A/C covers painted, refer vent cover painted.
Inspect underneath: Is it undercoated okay? Are there Bilstein shocks? Look for loose wires. Try to see if it was lubed.
Check sealant around the outside of the windows.
3M Front Mask. Look for bubbles and fit. Does it go all the way down under the front bumper or stop short where lower paint could be damaged?
Check clear coat for flat spots (not polished), orange peel, and laps (runs).
Check for scrapes, dents, or scratches but be reasonable.
Are all exterior lights working? Check turn signals, ICC lights, back-up lights, porch light, docking lights, check smart wheel, etc.
Do all exterior locks work?
Do bay doors, engine door, generator door, front door, and screen door work okay? Check rubber seals around these items. Check alignment of the locks so they close properly.
Carefree awnings over LR/Dining, Bath, and Bedroom.
Check tanks: propane, fresh water, gray, and black.
Check windshield washer fluid. Antifreeze?
Does the audible back-up alarm work?
Do all the keys work (deadbolt, front door, bays, etc.)

TIRES AND WHEELS
Get the tire chart (inflation pressure vs weight) for the tires.
Check the date on each tire.
Check for correct air pressure.
Mud flaps on all 4 wheels?
Front disc brakes, rear drum brakes, six-wheel anti-locking mechanism.

GENERATOR
Check oil
Run the Onan generator. Put a load on it.

PASS-THROUGH BAYS
120v/12v/TV plugs.
Do all bay lights work? Where is the master switch?
Do all bay locks work?
Is it a 1000-watt inverter?
Water filter with 2 filters.

SLIDE-OUT ROOMS
Locate all slide-out room switches and run them.
Do all slide-outs work smoothly? Do rollers press on the tile so it might break? Does the carpet hinder its movement in the bedroom? Are adjuster counter lock-nuts tight? Any sign of torque twisting? Any loose bolts?
How do you manually retract the slides?
Check automatic locking mechanisms.
Check slide-out room seals. Use a flashlight at night or the orange-cord work light.
Check for leaks if it rains.
Look for water spots and stains.
Verify correct leveling process when slides are in and out.

BATTERIES
Locate the disconnect switch for the coach batteries.
Locate engine battery disconnect switch.
Is there a locking battery disconnect switch inside the coach?
Does the battery maintainer work? Check the green light. ON = Okay.

UTILITY BAY
Is everything labeled correctly?
Fill and drain tanks to set gauges.
Does the flush valve work?
Run stuff in utility bay (light, water pump switch, electric, sewer, telephone, cable).
Check water pump operation.
Is there a sewer hose compartment? Is there a sewer hose?

COCKPIT AREA
Run the sun visor up and down.
Does front privacy curtain draw easily across the front window? Does it close properly in front?
Do all the features work on the 8-way cockpit seats?
Test both seat belts.
Check to see that each switch works correctly, including switches at passenger seat.
Check Smart Wheel features. Do ICC lights work?
Run backup camera. Check audio.
Check steering column adjustments.
How do you use the emergency start switch?
Run the dash A/C to make sure it is wired correctly.
Run the dash heater and defroster.
Run windshield wipers.
Run dash radio and CD player.
Check surround sound. Are all speakers working?
Run both TVs. Use through-the-air (raise and turn the antenna), cable, satellite.
Run the DVD.
Run both dash fans.
Run the 3-way mirrors. Does defrost work?
Start generator from dash switch and any other switch.
Run exterior step.
Open and close the passenger dash slide-out workstation.
Check the NCC weight tags.
Check recommended tire pressures on the weight tags.
Check the dashboard gauges.
Does the engine compartment covers on floor open/close okay and seal well? Do they lock in open position?

GENERAL ITEMS INSIDE
Check wallpaper. Does it cover everywhere? Is it tight at seams?
Are all mini-blinds working okay? Do they hang straight?
Open/close all windows. Do they work okay? Do they lock okay? Do all have screens?
Do all door and cupboard handles work okay?
Locate and test smoke alarm, CO detector, propane detector. Locate their sensors.
Are all receptacles working okay (120 volt and 12 volt)?
Do all switches work okay?
Check to see if all lights work from all switches, including map lights and gem lights. Where are the mood lights?
Two Halogen lights, with a dimmer switch, above the dinette table
Look for scrapes and mars on the woodwork but be reasonable.
Locate fire extinguisher.
Check all cabinet doors (open/close/hang straight/do latches work).
Check all drawers (smooth pulling/do latches work). Are they all full-extension glides?
Are all adjustable shelves in place.
Look for broken A/C vents
Run the 15,000 BTU roof A/Cs. Do vents work easily so you can turn the air flow off and on? Does front/rear interducting work?
Check for water line/connection leaks (two sinks, shower, toilet, washer/dryer, Aqua Hot radiators, sewer bay).
Check tank gauges. Adjust them?
Check heater on fireplace.

FRONT LOUNGE AREA
Does surround sound work?
Locate seat belts.
Check woodwork under sofa. Is anything missing or broken?
Locate all remote controls

GALLEY/KITCHEN
Run stove Corian cover over it.
Run Convection Microwave
Test the water pump switches.
Run faucets. Are hot and cold okay?
Does faucet sprayer work?
50/50 Corian sink. Are there two side-by-side recessed covers that are level with counter.
Check caulking near kitchen sink.
Norcold 4-door refrigerator. Check ice maker. Are all shelves in it? Does it run on both gas and electric? Check interior temperatures for freezers and refrigerator.
Run Kool-a-Matic fan at fan switch and at thermostat.

BATHROOM
Flush toilet. Use the toilet sprayer. Can water be added to toilet without flushing? Is the toilet water from the cold water line?
Run faucets hot and cold.
Check caulking near bathroom sink.
Check for calking around top of shower.
Check shower head spray.
Run both Fantastic fans.
Run washer/dryer. Check for leaky connections. Does dryer vent outside?
Are there two shelves above washer/dryer?

BEDROOM
Look under mattress Is the table there for between seats? Are there prop rods in place?
Check hidden compartment behind TV
Circuit breakers. Identify each circuit.
Three decorative bed pillows

edgray 01-13-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1880009)
.....They did purchase Monaco and all of their factories in the area so transitioning to new facilities can cause confusion as well as production delays that translate into quality issues.....

Sorry, but that just isn't true / correct. Navistar sold its Monaco/HR brands to the parent of Fleetwood, ASV.

Thor did buy the large former HR facility at Wakarusa, IN. and I understand it is being used by Thor to increase production of TMC brand products.

DGShaffer 01-13-2014 08:11 AM

Actually, what I meant to say was that they bought Monaco's facilities in the area.

tedgard01 01-13-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1882201)
I found this one and just modified it for my particular unit....

DGShaffer, thanks for this list! It looks well thought out and will provide just what I needed to get started.

Thanks again,
Ted

sbleiweiss 01-13-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1882011)
Hi to the folks in the Challenger thread.

I guess I am going to be another member, because in just ordered a new 2014.5 37GT. They are building it now and I expect delivery some time in February.

In reading this thread, I realize that some are very happy with their Thor product and others are not. I have not seen any other brand of coach that is in the same relative category and price range that only has satisfied customers either yet.

Regardless, I am hoping I made a good choice. I expect that my experience may result in some issues, but I hope none that are extreme.

As I have a few weeks before delivery, I'd like to try to come up with a walkthrough list of items to check out before taking delivery. Those things that you would have wished you should have found in your walkthrough, but overlooked, as well as the items that you knew were critical to review.

Any help that you can provide me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

Look over the history here of discussions. My 2014.5 has had only one problem; a rattle in the fireplace. The unbelirvable list of things wrong with our former 2013 is too long to remember/ or maybe I just want it out of my head. But the big ones I can recall (boy can I recall them) are:

Large hole in wall between drivers feet and engine compartment allowing outside air to be forced in when driving. You couldn't possibly drive comfortably at anything colder outside than about 45 degrees.

Rattles/banging in slides that is still the topic of this thread.

Front cap not installed properly, causing the windshield to shatter/pop out.

Thor claims these are not related to the cap issue; we are not convinced; but both fenders came loose while driving; seam split; seal around windshield did not stay in place.

My theory is the 2013 problem was a vestige of the transition from Damen to Thor, and has been fixed by the 2014.5 models (I hope).

tedgard01 01-13-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1882425)
... My 2014.5 has had only one problem; a rattle in the fireplace. The unbelirvable list of things wrong with our former 2013 is too long to remember... My theory is the 2013 problem was a vestige of the transition from Damen to Thor, and has been fixed by the 2014.5 models (I hope).

Thanks for the reply. I hope you are right about the 2014.5 models. As the 37GT does not have a fireplace, my list would really be small..... Lol

DGShaffer 01-14-2014 05:08 AM

Here is some advise that could make picking up your new coach more productive.

As I laid out above, using a detailed list and taking the time to follow it point by point like a pre-flight checklist will go a long way in making sure you complete it without missing anything. If you skip around you'll miss things and regret it later.

Once done and you have your punch list, go over it in detail with the tech. He should try to fix what he can but more importantly, he can schedule a time to get it back to the dealer for the final repairs and get what parts he needs on order.

Failure to do this will result in more trips back to the deal and more time in their lot. If you have an issue, you need to make an appointment to have the issue reviewed so that they can submit a claim for warranty repair. Once that claim is approved, they need to order any parts they might need. After a week they receive the part try installing it only to realize that they ordered the wrong part, they send it back and a week later install the correct part (I AM NOT KIDDING, this happens almost every time!). At this point, your coach has been on their lot for the better part of three weeks!

It's better to take your time upfront rather than blazing through it only to have to go through this right at the beginning of camping season. If you let that happen, we'll get to read your horror stories about trying to get repairs done and how inept your dealer is.

My second MH was a class A Damon Outlaw toy hauler, I was so excited and unprepared that my PDI lasted about 15 minutes. I was forced to take it to a local dealer for repairs because I bought it out of state. Getting warranty work done was a nightmare and I opted to do most repairs myself and learned to live with the things I couldn't fix.

sbleiweiss 01-14-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1882450)
Thanks for the reply. I hope you are right about the 2014.5 models. As the 37GT does not have a fireplace, my list would really be small..... Lol

Ha ha. Actually, we use the heater element of the fireplace a lot. It is a way to heat in moderate weather without using your own LP. It is a way to heat the front without making the bedroom too hot (we like to sleep cool). I would not want to be without one.

DGShaffer 01-14-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1883766)
Ha ha. Actually, we use the heater element of the fireplace a lot. It is a way to heat in moderate weather without using your own LP. It is a way to heat the front without making the bedroom too hot (we like to sleep cool). I would not want to be without one.

I totally agree. We are amazed at how well that works to keep the living room cozy in the cooler weather. We camp starting the first week in April through the last week of October so we use it often. The L-shaped couch in our DT makes it a really nice spot to hang out in at night. My wife says she'll always want one in what ever MH we own for now on.

maxtgam 01-14-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1883650)
Here is some advise that could make picking up your new coach more productive.

As I laid out above, using a detailed list and taking the time to follow it point by point like a pre-flight checklist will go a long way in making sure you complete it without missing anything. If you skip around you'll miss things and regret it later.

Once done and you have your punch list, go over it in detail with the tech. He should try to fix what he can but more importantly, he can schedule a time to get it back to the dealer for the final repairs and get what parts he needs on order.

It's better to take your time upfront rather than blazing through it only to have to go through this right at the beginning of camping season. If you let that happen, we'll get to read your horror stories about trying to get repairs done and how inept your dealer is.

Thank you. In 2 weeks from today receiving our 36.1 Palazzo. Five years ago, when taking delivery of my fourwinds C, we did spend about an hour, but...
We had friends with us. BIG mistake. I was (in the back of my mind) not wanting to inconvenient them too much. As they are vet coachers, they where trying to help by adding input, but...
With friends and family knowing of our new coach, lots of offers.

Our plans, get there early, full tummy, test everything, just us and a tape recorder.:D

tedgard01 01-14-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1883650)
Here is some advise that could make picking up your new coach more productive... using a detailed list and taking the time to follow it point by point like a pre-flight checklist will go a long way in making sure you complete it without missing anything.

Thanks again for the reply.

tedgard01 01-14-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1883766)

Thanks. I have a Eden-Pure heater in my current coach and will use it in the new one as well. It keeps our current coach very toasty.

SPovelko 01-14-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1880171)
Hopefully you'll be able to sell it once they make the repairs. The deprecation will be tough to swallow though. As I understand Lemon Laws, the dealer is offered three attempts to make repairs on a reoccurring issue. They will most likely send a driver down to the selling dealer and drive it back to Indiana to make sure that the repairs are done correctly. Then they will drive it back.

I have a feeling that the large portion of your issue is with Camping World. Most of their repair facilities have been getting poor reviews. Even my local CW which had performed really well on my other Thor products. They dropped the ball on my slide issue. The factory however understands how they work and made repairs to a degree that I couldn't be more satisfied.

Best of luck and my hope is that once the factory gets involved, you'll change your opinion and enjoy your Challenger as much as us other owners do.

Thor is flying out one of thier engineers to look at my RV this Friday. Guess the certified letter from my attorney got thier attention.:facepalm:

rvbunz 01-14-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1884585)

Thor is flying out one of thier engineers to look at my RV this Friday. Guess the certified letter from my attorney got thier attention.:facepalm:

Hope they get it fixed and can build your trust. I think you will like your coach when the bugs are gone

rvbunz 01-14-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1884640)

Hope they get it fixed and can build your trust. I think you will like your coach when the bugs are gone

Just ordered new roller day/night shades to replace all the pleated day/night shades. Week be installed Monday at laydays

DGShaffer 01-15-2014 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1884642)
Just ordered new roller day/night shades to replace all the pleated day/night shades. Week be installed Monday at laydays

My wife wants those. Can you give us specifics on what you ordered and their cost? I'm also curious to see photos of the installation. I'm assuming you considered the installation difficult enough that you opted to have the dealer install them.

rvbunz 01-15-2014 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1884890)

My wife wants those. Can you give us specifics on what you ordered and their cost? I'm also curious to see photos of the installation. I'm assuming you considered the installation difficult enough that you opted to have the dealer install them.

Dave,
I'm at laydays in Tampa and they have an on site vendor who makes them on site. I ordered just the day sun shade rollers for the passenger and drivers windows and both day and night for the dining/living room window, the window near the door and the bedroom window. The cost with installation was $1600.00 and some change. I would have installed them myself but I figured I was here and they have ask the tools which I don't have on board for the trip. I've installed MCD shades on my last coach. I like the fact that I didn't have to wait three weeks to get them and the quality looks as good as MCD. I'm sure you could put them on yourself. They get installed Monday because I'm moving to the fairground for the rv show.

tedgard01 01-15-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1884895)
Dave, I'm at laydays in Tampa and they have an on site vendor who makes them on site. I ordered just the day sun shade rollers for the passenger and drivers windows and both day and night for the dining/living room window, the window near the door and the bedroom window. The cost with installation was $1600.00 and some change. I would have installed them myself but I figured I was here and they have ask the tools which I don't have on board for the trip. I've installed MCD shades on my last coach. I like the fact that I didn't have to wait three weeks to get them and the quality looks as good as MCD. I'm sure you could put them on yourself. They get installed Monday because I'm moving to the fairground for the rv show.

Sounds like a great upgrade. I know my new 2014.5 37GT will at least have the front shade, but I do like the MCD shades.

DGShaffer 01-15-2014 11:10 AM

I'd really like to get pull down shades for the driver and passenger windows. I feel they would be a better option for sunny days.

I also like the look better than the pleated design for the windows in the living room.

rvbunz 01-15-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1885221)
I'd really like to get pull down shades for the driver and passenger windows. I feel they would be a better option for sunny days.

I also like the look better than the pleated design for the windows in the living room.

The only problem with those windows are the shape. You can't cover the whole window, that's why I elected just to add the sun shade to help keep the sun out of most of the window and pull the pleated shade at night.

DGShaffer 01-15-2014 05:44 PM

I rarely pull the bottom of the pleated shade completely closed so that was one reason I saw it as an alternative.

Post photos once it's done ok.

rvbunz 01-15-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1885629)
I rarely pull the bottom of the pleated shade completely closed so that was one reason I saw it as an alternative.

Post photos once it's done ok.

Sure will post photos Monday

Mwoodofd 01-15-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1881498)
If you can plan a trip to Elkhart try to schedule for 31 March and we can hang out and get it fixed right. Hope to see you on the road. I have about 55 members in the tmcoc. How to get some activities going this year.

Bob, got it set and confirmed. March 31st. Will see you there!!