iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 03-06-2013 06:07 PM

I agree it's better than throwing a boat load of cast into it. If you like it, that's the only opinion that counts!

camaromance 03-06-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1486977)
Don I only have 1800 miles on mine and and honestly I didn't think it was too bad. Maybe a couple of times I felt a strong cross wind or a big truck driving by. But after reading the thread and all the people who say how much better it is I think I will give it a try if nothing else I can swap it back and didn't cost me anything but time.

John, I've read those same posts. My understanding of it is that it will greatly decrease body roll, ie swaying. However, if you find yourself in a situation where you are traveling at speed and have brake hard and turn, your chances are greatly increased that you will roll your coach. The sway bars are set at their current position to prevent a rollover if you have to do this type of high speed maneuver. It makes sense if you think about it. A stiffer suspension has nowhere to transfer the centrifugal force. That momentum has to go somewhere so it transfers it to the shiney side of your motor home and it happens quickly. A softer suspension allows for more body roll which gives somewhere for all that force to transfer to. You also have more time to realize what's going on and correct the steering before you roll over. I have heard it makes a huge difference on swaying but I'm not sure if its worth it when some jackass on a cell phone decides to pull out in front of you. I'd be curious to know what your suspension guy thinks.

Don, you ride bikes. Wouldn't it be a it like high siding your bike?

DGShaffer 03-06-2013 07:19 PM

What you said it what I tried but couldn't manage. Your description is clear and accurate. I feel that we should let the engineered suspension in the chassis do it's job as it's designed. Body roll on a sports car is bad but on a top heavy box it's a training aid. Drive slower and smoother. When a truck passes, learn to counter act the roll with subtle movement

Again, my opinion.

camaromance 03-06-2013 07:45 PM

I'm spoiled with my 37kt. My last RV was a 31' class C. That thing handled horribly even after I upgraded the shocks and steering stabilizer. If I was passed on the interstate by an 18 wheeler, it would first try to pull me into its lane. As it passed it would blow me off the road. I had to really pay attention and start turning the wheel before that happened to counteract. My wife and I would take bets on which way the front wheels would drive us after going over a bump. I got used to it after a few trips and it more or less became second nature. I feel spoiled with how well my challenger drives. No more being blown off the road.

john109 03-07-2013 03:17 AM

Ok guys I guess I will hold off what you guys say makes sense. I also had a class C and it would do the same thing I had to be prepared when a big truck came by. As I said I only have 1800 miles on mine and it was a lot different then the Class C. I guess I got caught up in that long thread and wondered if it was worth doing. Thanks guys.

DGShaffer 03-07-2013 03:51 AM

I had a 34 foot Class C as well. They had narrow wheel bases compared to our big truck chassis and 22.5" wheels. Unfortunately they're big boxes and will never handle great. You just have to learn to drive them with respect. I've found myself going too fast into a turn and regretted not anticipating it sooner and being afraid I'd not be able shave off enough speed in time to make it. How many of those guys will go through all that then post that it was a huge waste of time. A solution to an issue either real or perceived is still a good feeling.

I've been riding bikes all my life so I know how easy it is to get caught up in the latest, best and coolest. You think the Harley crowd is bad, try hanging with the Beemer crowd! Those guys love electronics, tricked out suspensions, custom made long distance saddles, funky windshields and they have money! I love my stock Kawasaki Concours :whistling:

camaromance 03-07-2013 11:48 AM

You guys are a great bunch. I look forward to seeing what you have to say each day or so. I also like that you don’t get your panties in a bunch when you get an opinion that may differ from your own. It truly is the least painful way to learn. If you feel I'm jacking something up, I expect you to say so. Thanks again for all the great discussions.

With that being said, my next mod is the LED lights across the awnings. I recently went to the RV show in Baltimore and the new thing is LED's. I'm not so big on that but, the one mod I did see is the permanent white LEDs lengthwise across the awning tube. The kit was stupid expensive and because I'm a cheap, I found all the supplies to make my own at a tenth of the cost. If you’re interested, let me now and I’ll get enough for a few kits, work out the bugs and send them to you.

DGShaffer 03-07-2013 11:57 AM

So I was looking at investing in a trampoline to hang my globe lights on the awning since I noticed that it's 15 feet in the air. This sounds like a safer and more practical idea.

How does it work and how do you bet power to them? I want the ability to use a dimmer as well.

john109 03-07-2013 03:16 PM

I also look forward to see what is next everyday. Jim I would be interested to see how it is done. I would think it would get crushed in the roll up mode. I bought the rope lights at Home Depot I think its a 50 footer. and some plastic clips that slide down the track of the awning and it holds the rope light fine. (I found those clips in a camp ground in upstate NY) I plug it in to the exterior outlet I have seen power rheostats that would make it so you could dim the lights up or down.

john109 03-07-2013 03:23 PM

guys one other investment i just made is I ordered one of those Little Giant ladders it should fit in the lower bay. and expand enough so I can easily do things on the RV. I also justified buying as I have to paint the house this year:banghead:. Oh well its gotta be done.

camaromance 03-07-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1487907)
So I was looking at investing in a trampoline to hang my globe lights on the awning since I noticed that it's 15 feet in the air. This sounds like a safer and more practical idea.

How does it work and how do you bet power to them? I want the ability to use a dimmer as well.

Don, these kits are waterproof, self sticking with 3M backing, multi color, phase shifting, connectable, and even comes with a remote. The strip would stick to the tube and the power cord is small enought to roll up in the awning. The controller would be mounted in a bay with 120 ac power. I have an outlet where my inverter is and I bet you do to. I think John already mounted an outlet in one of his bays.

Here is a link:

Amazon.com: Abco Tech®Waterproof 150 Color Changing SMD5050 LED Lighting Strip Kit RGB 16.4ft +44 Remote: Home Improvement

I also planned on hiding a set on the inside lip of the slides and having them reflect onto the sides of the coach. Yet another application would be to put smaller strips around the outside edge of the steps. OK, maybe I do have a thing for LEDs.

I still have to find out if they will go all white and are dimmable but I believe they do. If not, there are several manufactures of these kits and I'm sure I can find the right set. Another resource for is here: LED Lights, LED Strip Lights, Color Changing LED Light Strips - ElementalLED.com

Take a look and let me know what you think...

camaromance 03-07-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1488113)
I also look forward to see what is next everyday. Jim I would be interested to see how it is done. I would think it would get crushed in the roll up mode. I bought the rope lights at Home Depot I think its a 50 footer. and some plastic clips that slide down the track of the awning and it holds the rope light fine. (I found those clips in a camp ground in upstate NY) I plug it in to the exterior outlet I have seen power rheostats that would make it so you could dim the lights up or down.

John, they are very thin, less than a 1/4" and sealed in a silicon sleeve. But the idea only exists in my head right now. The ones I saw at the show were mounted inside the track of the awning. Not sure how they did it or even power them. Would be curious to see one close enough to tell. Painting the house is tuff work. I would highly recommend a Wagner power painter and Baer exterior paint. That stuff costs more but it will be the last time you paint your house.

john109 03-07-2013 05:07 PM

Jim I am with you on the Behr paint it is all I use now I buy the stuff with the primer in it. I did the inside of the house with it last year and love it. It goes on nice and cleans up well and is very durable. I have been shopping around for sprayers I had a wagner about 10 years back and was not impressed with it then. Which model do you use. I have been researching the graco magnum and it gets really good reviews also. Any info would be great.

DGShaffer 03-07-2013 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at the link for LED's, I had no idea they were so expensive! I've had my awning out once and that was during the PDI. I'm hoping that I'll be able to bring it to the house Saturday so I can finish the install of the Crapper Flapper.

All the punch list items are in except for the spare table for in between the captains chairs so I'm hoping to bring it back to the dealer for a final visit. After that it's time to de-winterize it. Our first booked weekend is April 5th through the 7th for a local shake down and I can't wait.

After that we're booked for 10 additional weekends through the summer at a few PA State parks within a 2 hour ride. Then we have longer trips to Lake Ontario, a trip to Boston for the 4th of July, and our annual trek south over the Christmas week to Dauphin Island Alabama.

I love planning and routing our trips and with the bike, I route day trips that I plug into my Garmin GPS so when we get there I already know where we're headed during the day.

Coming back after a day ride I love starting the campfire and cooking dinner on it. Nothing crazy, just meat and potato's :D