iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

ctpres 12-08-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustanowlAZ (Post 2338030)
Greetings all...The DW and I are looking at two different Class A's, A Coachmen Mirada 35BH and the Challenger 37TB. After reading back through this forum about a month, I'm wondering what overall you think of your Challenger's now. Sounds like a lot of inconsistent construction practices in the Challenger...
So can you help us make a decision? Would you get your Challenger again? Are there any issues common to the Challenger line? Any pitfalls we should know about?
Thanks...

Would we buy Challenger again? Yes in a heartbeat. I have been going over ours for two months (retired and nothing else to do) and have found numerous things I didn't like. I would bet anyone that, given the same two months with any mfg's new model, that I could find an equal number of problems. Could the factory have delivered a better product - sure - could we afford it then - probably not. Challenger has some great floor plans, uses reasonably good quality appliances and components.
The RV industry in general is experiencing a very high demand for new products and I am sure every mfg is hard pressed to deliver the quality customers demand.
One thing I can depend on is Thor support.
This particular forum is very unique in that it is not for bashing the product but for exchanging information that might be helpful to others.
Enjoy your new "A"

ctpres 12-08-2014 10:36 AM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

#40. Had dash cover off again today and decided to add GPS audio out to dash radio. Used adapter plug on our GPS audio output and audio cable with RCA plugs on the other end for radio aux-in. Works great. Now no matter how much background noise there is up front we both can hear everything. Even without my hearing aids, sound level and quality is so much better.

LyonsL 12-08-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Greetings all...The DW and I are looking at two different Class A's, A Coachmen Mirada 35BH and the Challenger 37TB. After reading back through this forum about a month, I'm wondering what overall you think of your Challenger's now. Sounds like a lot of inconsistent construction practices in the Challenger...

So can you help us make a decision? Would you get your Challenger again? Are there any issues common to the Challenger line? Any pitfalls we should know about?

On the plus side...We're looking forward to getting on the road and doing some traveling...maybe even taking our business on the road...With The amount of money we are looking at spending, just want to make sure we are making the best decision...

Thanks...

I'm not familiar with the Coachmen Mirada but we love our Challenger 37KT! Just like everything else built by man, it's not perfect but the build quality is very high for the price. We bought the Challenger for it's floor plan and quality features. Most people we know like to customize and tinker with their motor coaches and that's what we post here. We have no regrets and would do it all over again!

sbleiweiss 12-09-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

On the plus side...We're looking forward to getting on the road and doing some traveling...maybe even taking our business on the road...With The amount of money we are looking at spending, just want to make sure we are making the best decision...

Thanks...

I constantly wonder the same thing. Problem is it is very hard to know whether other manufacturers, or any given one, is better. I wonder if there are forums like this one for other manufacturers, models. If there is one for the Mirada, follow it for awhile and see what the owners think; how it compares to the Challenger comments.

ctpres 12-09-2014 05:11 PM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

#41. Porch light won't turn off! Earlier today I tested the Rapid Camp for range from Coach - turned out to be be nearly 60 feet! For the test I used porch light and wasn't paying attention when done and left it on. Later I tried to turn it off with stairwell switch and no go. Won't say how long it took me to figure out that Rapid Camp light functions are latched relay ie. once you turn on with Rapid Camp you must turn off with Rapid Camp or kill 12v supply. Didn't bother to test but safe bet that awning lights will be the same.

bigdaddy5120 12-09-2014 05:20 PM

In Honor of ctpres , Thanks for all the information and mod idea's

In case some of you missed these MODS/ Info, here are some links .

Outside TV
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/my-2...de-190970.html

Water Siphoning remedy
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/wate...dy-200892.html

Need to know info: LCI levelers issue, solved !!
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/lci-...ed-171313.html

Webman9113 12-10-2014 06:39 AM

Quote:

Any coach is going to have issues, regardless of manufacturer. We've owned two coaches built by Damon (before it was merged with Thor), a Winnebago Tour, a Fleetwood Expedition, and now a Challenger 37KT. I'd say the overall build quality of Winnebago is the best of that lot, followed by Fleetwood, and the Challenger by Thor is better than the old Damons.

However, having said that, my parents bought an Itasca Navion (same thing as a Winnebago View) and have had tons of quality control issues with it: shower stall falling down, skylight shade falling off, improperly installed sink drain, a supposedly stainless steel sink that was rusting, along with a recurring issue with the emissions control system that's put the otherwise fantastically reliable Sprinter chassis into limp mode over thousand or so miles and has required diagnostics from Mercedes engineers in Germany (and they still aren't sure it's fixed).

We had no more than a few very minor quibbles with the Tour, a really problematic issue with one of the Fleetwood's computer modules (but not much else - any other issues were solved by the original owner), and the Damons didn't have any particular problems, although we didn't own either of those long enough for much to crop up.

As for the Challenger, a 2014.5 KT, we've had it out on a number of shorter trips, plus a 10 week trip through New England this last summer. The three major issues that came up were 1) the fridge came loose from its mounting, but that was the fault of service technicians that fixed a leaking hose to the ice maker and didn't reseat the fridge properly, although the factory mounting method needs a LOT of improvement, IMHO; 2) some of the bolts holding on the front slide brackets were either stripped or loose, one of which almost jammed one of the slides; and 3) the switch controlling the rear slide burned out, thankfully right near the end of the trip, although that was something that an on-site service tech could have easily diagnosed and fixed (in fact, I called Thor for tech support, and that's what they believed it was).

Were those annoying? Yep. But they were all easily fixed. The most work went into remounting the refrigerator, which now will NOT come loose unless someone wants to intentionally remove it or the coach gets hit by an atomic bomb. Would I buy another Thor coach? Absolutely. They offer great value for the price and Thor has some of the most innovative floor plans in the industry (which was the primary draw for us, as the layout of the 37KT fit our traveling lifestyle perfectly), and I have no complaints about the Ford engine and chassis. While it's not bulletproof, I would have no worries at all about full timing in it. In fact, we plan to do just that once we get both boys off to college, in between some overland trips overseas. :-)

ctpres 12-10-2014 07:26 AM

Challenger Contest

Just for fun - what changes do you think will show up on 2016 Challengers. Not what you want but what do you expect to see and why you think it will happen. I have several ideas but will hold off as I would not be a qualified to win anyhow. Winner with most right guesses will get one week free Challenger parking at the Bar-Bob ranch in Needville TX. Free use of ranch facilities and assistance in making as many mods as time allows. In case of a tie, forum members will vote on the winner. Contest ends on 2/1/16 or when 2016's announced if earlier.

ctpres 12-10-2014 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is satellite view of ranch. Water and 30 or 50 amp service with dump available. Fishing in our lake is catch and release. We are close enough to Houston and Galveston for sightseeing. Have fun guessing

ctpres 12-10-2014 08:45 AM

Challenger contest end date

OPS should be 2/1/15. Sorry.

camato5 12-10-2014 08:53 AM

is there a special thread on here for Thor Tuscany owners?

bigdaddy5120 12-10-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2339788)
#41. Porch light won't turn off! Earlier today I tested the Rapid Camp for range from Coach - turned out to be be nearly 60 feet! For the test I used porch light and wasn't paying attention when done and left it on. Later I tried to turn it off with stairwell switch and no go. Won't say how long it took me to figure out that Rapid Camp light functions are latched relay ie. once you turn on with Rapid Camp you must turn off with Rapid Camp or kill 12v supply. Didn't bother to test but safe bet that awning lights will be the same.

Can you post a Pic of the awning lights , so I can see how they done it.

sbleiweiss 12-11-2014 12:45 PM

Has anyone disconnected the speakers in the bedroom so that audio from the dash radio isn't carried back there? How did you do it?

bdickson 12-11-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2341707)
Has anyone disconnected the speakers in the bedroom so that audio from the dash radio isn't carried back there? How did you do it?

Just go to the Audio Controls on the dash radio and adjust the Fader control to turn the rear speakers down or off altogether.