iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

tedgard01 12-12-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustanowlAZ (Post 2338030)
Greetings all...The DW and I are looking at two different Class A's, A Coachmen Mirada 35BH and the Challenger 37TB... Thanks...


Hi, and welcome to iRV2.

I don't know your previous RV'ing experiance, how long you have been looking, or why you have narrowed your choice to these two brands and makes of RV's. Regardless, take your time and enjoy the hunt.

I have not owned a Coachmen, but I did own another RV prior to buying my 2014.5 Challenger 37GT. There are things I liked better about my previous coach then my new one, and many things I like better about my Challenger than the previous one.

The best advice I can offer is to take some time and really take the time to physically examine as many coaches as possible before making a final decision. Just remember that when comparing coaches, try to rate it against coaches in the same category and manufacturing level. Also, be aware that there are a lot of pre-owned deals available that make your choices wide open.

In regard to the Challenger, we love our floor plan and the coach in general. Thor has so far proven to be a reputable manufacture for us and has replaced all defects identified since the purchase. Therefore, we think this purchase was a good one for us, and that when compared to coaches of the same type and manufacturing level, we are satisfied that we made the correct choice.

Good luck on your decision.


Ted

slaterdon 12-13-2014 12:03 PM

Thor Buyer Beware
 
My wife and I purchased a 2014 ˝ Thor Challenger 37 GT at the Hershey Show in September 2013. Due to the popularity of the unit I was told that the unit I purchased would not be ready until December. I started making plans to Snow Bird in Florida the beginning of January 2014. December came and the delivery was delayed until January. Actual delivery occurred at the Hershey Camping World at the end of March. When we did our walk though, I noted and mentioned the significant amount of rust on the inside of ALL of the undercarriage storage compartments. I was told this needed to be reported to the Syracuse Camping World as they were the SELLERS of this model and the Hershey store was only affecting delivery. Syracuse was notified. Since then we have had over 40 warrantee issues occur with this unit including exterior siding “falling off”, vinyl tears in front of sofa slide, broken dining room chair, warped dining table, broken drawer slides, cabinet doors falling off, leaking inflatable beds and 22 other MINOR irradiations. I have had an independent repairman work on the unit, Hershey had the unit for two weeks and I drove from Maryland to Syracuse where they had the unit for three days and still have over a dozen problems including the chair, table, cabinet doors and warped table to name a few. Now we are in Florida (finally). I took the unit to the Tampa Camping World and was told that EVERYTHING needed to be reported AGAIN. Additionally, I was told that THOR will not cover the RUST issue. I was told to call THOR. I called and was told that my OWNERS MANUAL clearly states that RUST is NOT covered by warrantee. That is the OWNERS MANUAL that I received when I accepted delivery of the unit. I took the unit to an independent RV dealer and was told the RUST devalued the unit by around $20,000.00. As I said, Buyer Beware, Thor makes a poorly constructed product and DOES NOT stand behind it. I have a unit less than a year old with less than 5 thousand miles on it not worth half what I paid for it. While I’m at it, beware buying from Camping World. There may be better Camping World dealerships out there but I haven’t had any luck finding them.

bigdaddy5120 12-13-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2330393)
I've included photos of the refrigerator lock.

I have completed my refrigerator lock today. I used a (1)#10-24 threaded rod that's about 6 inches long,(2) #10-24 hex nuts, (2) washers, thread lock, and (1) rod socket (knob that's for rods 1-3/8 in diameter), and black spray paint. I got all these parts from Lowes for less than 10.00. The parts I bought will make 2 of these locks . The bottom pic shows the lock screwed in with the doors open, this will hold the doors open for ventilation when not in use.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...931eb8ac54.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...f48db03373.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...961b5ad420.jpg

bigdaddy5120 12-13-2014 08:46 PM

Has anyone put speakers up front in the cabin area ? The ones in ceiling are behind you so the road noise makes it hard to hear them.

sbleiweiss 12-13-2014 11:37 PM

When in an RV park for a week or more, do you leave yuor gray water tank valve open so the tank can drain to the sewer continually and never need to dump it? Pro's and con's for doing this?

okiefrank 12-14-2014 12:19 AM

Seems to me you should contact an attorney and look at thge lemon laws in your state,.

ctpres 12-14-2014 06:30 AM

REV-2
 
QUOTE=bigdaddy5120;2343811]I have completed my refrigerator lock today. I used a (1)#10-24 threaded rod that's about 6 inches long,(2) #10-24 hex nuts, (2) washers, thread lock, and (1) rod socket (knob that's for rods 1-3/8 in diameter), and black spray paint. I got all these parts from Lowes for less than 10.00. The parts I bought will make 2 of these locks . The bottom pic shows the lock screwed in with the doors open, this will hold the doors open for ventilation when not in use. QUOTE

On my list of things to do - pretty much what you did but add a second rod socket or a large/soft washer so you can secure door for travel AND keep door open with washer on both sides of the door. Inside washer thicker for ventilation and outside washer holds door so it won't move in storage position.

ctpres 12-14-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2344154)
When in an RV park for a week or more, do you leave yuor gray water tank valve open so the tank can drain to the sewer continually and never need to dump it? Pro's and con's for doing this?

We leave gray open. Not sure I would with slinky hose due to possible sewer gas exiting roof vent and stinking up the area. We use Sewer Solutions and just run hose so there is a trap in the line that blocks gas. You should close gray a day or so before dumping black so there is enough gray water to clean up the dump hose.

bigdaddy5120 12-14-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2344255)
QUOTE=bigdaddy5120;2343811]I have completed my refrigerator lock today. I used a (1)#10-24 threaded rod that's about 6 inches long,(2) #10-24 hex nuts, (2) washers, thread lock, and (1) rod socket (knob that's for rods 1-3/8 in diameter), and black spray paint. I got all these parts from Lowes for less than 10.00. The parts I bought will make 2 of these locks . The bottom pic shows the lock screwed in with the doors open, this will hold the doors open for ventilation when not in use. QUOTE

On my list of things to do - pretty much what you did but add a second rod socket or a large/soft washer so you can secure door for travel AND keep door open with washer on both sides of the door. Inside washer thicker for ventilation and outside washer holds door so it won't move in storage position.

Be sure to post some pic when completed. Thanks for all the great Idea's !

I plan on adding a VIZO sound bar to the bedroom TV next week. It's hard to hear the TV when the AC unit is on. I am going to mount it under the TV cabinet. My 2014 doesn't have a window in this area like the 2015.
I will also add a spray nozzle behind the toilet, I will use this to add water to the tanks after clean out. No more carrying buckets from outside !
I am going to mount two speaker in the cabin area to solve the problem of hearing radio while traveling. I haven't figured this out yet.

ctpres 12-14-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2344346)
Be sure to post some pic when completed. Thanks for all the great Idea's !

I plan on adding a VIZO sound bar to the bedroom TV next week. It's hard to hear the TV when the AC unit is on. I am going to mount it under the TV cabinet. My 2014 doesn't have a window in this area like the 2015.
I will also add a spray nozzle behind the toilet, I will use this to add water to the tanks after clean out. No more carrying buckets from outside !
I am going to mount two speaker in the cabin area to solve the problem of hearing radio while traveling. I haven't figured this out yet.

Not sure which toilet you have but we can fill bowl by pressing foot leaver half way down and then flush. Much better than hauling buckets. Also 2015 has built in black tank flush. After cleaning tank I just close black dump valve and continue to run tank flush for about one minute.

bigdaddy5120 12-14-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2344698)
Not sure which toilet you have but we can fill bowl by pressing foot leaver half way down and then flush. Much better than hauling buckets. Also 2015 has built in black tank flush. After cleaning tank I just close black dump valve and continue to run tank flush for about one minute.

I can hold the flush lever down also , it just takes forever to get the tank a 1/3 of the way full . I don't close the black valve while flushing , mine has a warning sticker about doing that. I also like to fill the gray a 1/3 way full also. I do this all last just right before we leave . I will put a valve on the line so it only has pressure on it when I want to use it .

ctpres 12-14-2014 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=bigdaddy5120;2344728] I don't close the black valve while flushing , mine has a warning sticker about doing that. QUOTE]

You are right - bad habit left over from old coach. Never to old to learn.

tedgard01 12-14-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2344154)
When in an RV park for a week or more, do you leave yuor gray water tank valve open so the tank can drain to the sewer continually and never need to dump it? Pro's and con's for doing this?


First, I use a macerator, so I would not leave the gray water valve open anyway.... Regardless, you should not leave the gray water valve open in my opinion. When not using a macerator, my thought was to allow the tanks to fill up and dump at 2/3's or more full. I then dump the black before the gray. This allows you to use the gray water to clean out the lines after dumping the black water tank.

Just my thought.


Ted

Musikboy 12-15-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2344154)
When in an RV park for a week or more, do you leave yuor gray water tank valve open so the tank can drain to the sewer continually and never need to dump it? Pro's and con's for doing this?

I always leave tank valves closed. I don't want anything in there to dry and become solid, so solid that I can't wash it out, particularly with the gray water tank, because I don't have a flush system on that tank, I do with the black water tank.

Every 3rd day or so, I go out and dump the tanks and rinse black water tank just to be safe.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.