iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

LyonsL 12-15-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2344154)
When in an RV park for a week or more, do you leave yuor gray water tank valve open so the tank can drain to the sewer continually and never need to dump it? Pro's and con's for doing this?

I agree with most of the other replies and I keep the gray valves closed until the tanks get 2/3 full. I don't want any sewer gases seeping into the coach and that happened a few times with a previous coach.

My 2015 37KT has 2 grey holding tanks, one for sinks & shower and the other for the clothes washer. Both tanks are 40 gallons each and we can easily go a few days before they need dumped.

ctpres 12-15-2014 04:06 PM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

2 Attachment(s)
#42. My misadventure. More often than not I don't want to tell others about my mistakes. But then it wouldn't be a story if all not told.
How I installed my Crossfire. LINK to what Crossfire is. First connect hose with straight connector to inside dual. Select outer dual hole in line with valve stem. If holes don't line up, use first hole going clockwise. If you are not flexible and don't have small hands - be prepared to suffer. Once you see where inner valve stem is, you might try moving coach for a different stem location. Provided instructions say to screw on until air stops and then 1 to 1.5 more turns. 1 to 1.5 turns is hard to judge when making small changes. I just used a sharpie and marked nut so the 1 turn plus was easy. Next connect U shaped hose to outer stem. If stem is not at a good angle just loosen the nut, just enough to rotate stem. It works without loosing air. Remove chrome axle cover using a real socket. Factory tool woefully weak and probably won't hold up to first removal, mine did not. BE VERY CAREFUL in selecting nuts to remove as they all are not removable. If you try to take off one of the decorative nuts - it will come off - but you won't be able to get it back on. PM me for how to fix. Without very close inspection they all look alike - if not sure simply tap each nut and the real ones will be obvious. My Crossfires came with the AT/BH brackets - no way any of them would work so mistake number two, maybe - I just mounted it directly to the axle cover. Only the miles will tell if mounting to axle cover was a good idea or not. Couple of quality notes: all stainless or aluminum EXCEPT lock washer and one Crossfire valve stem was so close to body that I could not install my TST tpms without removing the anti theft housing. Probably not real important but the calibration is off so you can't depend on the visual marker for correct pressure.
--

Head Honcho Suzie & Foreman Chuck
BAR-BOB Ranch

bdickson 12-15-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2346042)
I just mounted it directly to the axle cover. Only the miles will tell if mounting to axle cover was a good idea or not.

I mounted my Crossfires the same way, by drilling the cover. No problems after 12,000 miles.

ctpres 12-16-2014 03:43 PM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

1 Attachment(s)
#43. Set-A-Bouts, those items that need to be stored for travel and then retrieved for camping, are my biggest pet peeve. So every time I can somehow eliminate one I am a happier camper. Three down and quite a few more to go. DW's countertop make-up mirror is gone. Picture shows the adjustable mirror I installed on hinge side of bathroom sink mirror. Now she can see front and back views - hands free. Gone! - one countertop knife holder - replaced with wall mount magnetic knife holder. Mounted it on frig wall between cooktop and convection oven. Also gone and out of sight, countertop paper towel holder. Suspended it from countertop inside trash can cabinet.

sbleiweiss 12-17-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2347103)
#43. Set-A-Bouts, those items that need to be stored for travel and then retrieved for camping, are my biggest pet peeve. So every time I can somehow eliminate one I am a happier camper. Three down and quite a few more to go. DW's countertop make-up mirror is gone. Picture shows the adjustable mirror I installed on hinge side of bathroom sink mirror. Now she can see front and back views - hands free. Gone! - one countertop knife holder - replaced with wall mount magnetic knife holder. Mounted it on frig wall between cooktop and convection oven. Also gone and out of sight, countertop paper towel holder. Suspended it from countertop inside trash can cabinet.

Speaking of trash cabinet, our 14.5 KT came with an entire kitchern cabinet devoted to a small pull-out trash can. First you had to swing the door open, then grab and pull out the trash can. And it was way smaller than the cabinet could hold. We did several things. The slide out trash can was a Rev-a-Shelf product. they make a variety of these products in different sizes and styles. We got a bigger one that fit the cabinet. They also sell a kit that allows you to take the door off its hinges, and attach the door to the pull-out trash can. Now, all you do is pull the door out and the trash can comes with it. We also put in a small pull out shelf (shallow drawer) above the trash can to hold the liner bags and whatever else makes sense.

jclarkfork 12-17-2014 12:15 PM

Crapper Flapper

Hi all, I am new the this Thor forum as we have just purchased a 2013 Challenger 37kt. Looking at all the post I am seeing a lot of good ideas and one I really like is DGSHAFFER's Crapper Flapper. If he is still on this forum I was interested in Talking to him about it and see if he has any left in stock for purchase. If so he can PM me with info. Our previous MH was a 2000 National Sea View that I remodeled and we love this new MH and are looking forward to learning all about it from the good people on this site.:dance:

tedgard01 12-17-2014 05:48 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclarkfork (Post 2348007)
Hi all, I am new the this Thor forum as we have just purchased a 2013 Challenger 37kt. Looking at all the post I am seeing a lot of good ideas and one I really like is DGSHAFFER's Crapper Flapper. If he is still on this forum I was interested in Talking to him about it and see if he has any left in stock for purchase. If so he can PM me with info. Our previous MH was a 2000 National Sea View that I remodeled and we love this new MH and are looking forward to learning all about it from the good people on this site.:dance:

It is good you found this thread. I am sure we all will look forward to seeing your suggested mods as well. Don (DGShaffer) is a great resource. I am sure he will follow up with you.

Ted

ctpres 12-17-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2347972)
We also put in a small pull out shelf (shallow drawer) above the trash can to hold the liner bags and whatever else makes sense.

Now there is an idea I will use some day. Maybe not above trash can but that could be done below just about any shelf.

LyonsL 12-17-2014 11:29 PM

No Pull Out Trash Can

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2347972)
Speaking of trash cabinet, our 14.5 KT came with an entire kitchern cabinet devoted to a small pull-out trash can. First you had to swing the door open, then grab and pull out the trash can. And it was way smaller than the cabinet could hold. We did several things. The slide out trash can was a Rev-a-Shelf product. they make a variety of these products in different sizes and styles. We got a bigger one that fit the cabinet. They also sell a kit that allows you to take the door off its hinges, and attach the door to the pull-out trash can. Now, all you do is pull the door out and the trash can comes with it. We also put in a small pull out shelf (shallow drawer) above the trash can to hold the liner bags and whatever else makes sense.

Our 2015 37KT did not come with the pull out trash can (discontinued by Thor). I installed an adjustable shelf in the cabinet to increase the storage capacity but I like your idea about the small pull out drawer and will add that mod next!

ctpres 12-19-2014 12:03 PM

250 mile report

Finally on the road for some real product testing. 37KT handling, compared to our old Workhorse chassis, not as good, steering is way more sensitive, requiring constant minor correction and I don't mean like needing alignment. Hoping that will smooth out as tires wear a bit. But it is still two finger driving if you really want to. Some steering correction required for passing trucks but not anything I would spend money to fix. Shifting under cruise control is probably about same as the Allison setup. So again I won't use cruise unless it's really flat and no overpasses. Might invest in Five Star or Brazel's engine tune to help with shifting before we hit any real mountains. Engine noise is fine until climbing, the high reving engine is something I am sure we will get used to. Ride comfort is on par with the Workhorse chassis and maybe a bit better. I started with 92# air pressure (heading into colder weather for a few days) and will drop that back to 90 when we get to FL. Then hopefully closer to 85# once we get a four corner weigh. Once we get load evenly distributed and tires set for weight I am betting a some ride improvement. Rattles here and there, probably most are due to loading things wrong. First night sleeping with factory mattress and added two inch foam topper, just as good as home or the old rv's full memory foam, and that's per the queen of sleep comfort - DW. Storage has been more than adequate. We are loaded for a ten month trip and we still have some empty storage. Drop down bunk turns out to be good place for spare bedding.
And now the big complaint and major problem - Mr Thor are you listening? The rear end gas fill was tried and abandoned by other mfg's. Why did you decide to try again? I knew it would further limit the number of gas stations we could use - but what I din't think about was BIKES ON THE BACK! Just plain old fashioned bicycles. You took a good family floor plan and ruined it, after all, what family with kids won't be hauling some bikes? Good news for us on the first fill-up was the pump handle had a rotating joint between hose and handle. If not for that I would have had to unload both bikes just to buy gas. Absolutely - positively first place in 2015 dumb design awards. I promise to make it my personal crusade to warn all potential buys of the problem on IRV2.com and RV.net until the problem is fixed.
So, with only twenty-four hours of living and driving I can say the 37KT is passing all tests and expectations, EXCEPT for the stupid ass gas fill. Will add comments as we discover features and problems.

bigdaddy5120 12-19-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2350261)
Finally on the road for some real product testing. 37KT handling, compared to our old Workhorse chassis, not as good, steering is way more sensitive, requiring constant minor correction and I don't mean like needing alignment. Hoping that will smooth out as tires wear a bit. But it is still two finger driving if you really want to. Some steering correction required for passing trucks but not anything I would spend money to fix. Shifting under cruise control is probably about same as the Allison setup. So again I won't use cruise unless it's really flat and no overpasses. Might invest in Five Star or Brazel's engine tune to help with shifting before we hit any real mountains. Engine noise is fine until climbing, the high reving engine is something I am sure we will get used to. Ride comfort is on par with the Workhorse chassis and maybe a bit better. I started with 92# air pressure (heading into colder weather for a few days) and will drop that back to 90 when we get to FL. Then hopefully closer to 85# once we get a four corner weigh. Once we get load evenly distributed and tires set for weight I am betting a some ride improvement. Rattles here and there, probably most are due to loading things wrong. First night sleeping with factory mattress and added two inch foam topper, just as good as home or the old rv's full memory foam, and that's per the queen of sleep comfort - DW. Storage has been more than adequate. We are loaded for a ten month trip and we still have some empty storage. Drop down bunk turns out to be good place for spare bedding.
And now the big complaint and major problem - Mr Thor are you listening? The rear end gas fill was tried and abandoned by other mfg's. Why did you decide to try again? I knew it would further limit the number of gas stations we could use - but what I din't think about was BIKES ON THE BACK! Just plain old fashioned bicycles. You took a good family floor plan and ruined it, after all, what family with kids won't be hauling some bikes? Good news for us on the first fill-up was the pump handle had a rotating joint between hose and handle. If not for that I would have had to unload both bikes just to buy gas. Absolutely - positively first place in 2015 dumb design awards. I promise to make it my personal crusade to warn all potential buys of the problem on IRV2.com and RV.net until the problem is fixed.
So, with only twenty-four hours of living and driving I can say the 37KT is passing all tests and expectations, EXCEPT for the stupid ass gas fill. Will add comments as we discover features and problems.

Be safe and keep us posted. I didn't know the 2015 fills from the rear, mine is on the driver side on my 2014. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas. I will be posting some pic of my planned mods next week once I complete them.

tedgard01 12-19-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

... - but what I din't think about was BIKES ON THE BACK! Just plain old fashioned bicycles....

We simply put the bikes on the toad. Works better for us anyway because we generally want to use the bikes after going somewhere in the car anyway. Another option may be a bike rack that firs on the ladder.

Ted

ctpres 12-20-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2350767)
We simply put the bikes on the toad. Works better for us anyway because we generally want to use the bikes after going somewhere in the car anyway. Another option may be a bike rack that firs on the ladder.

Ted

Would like to do that but - bike cover won't stand up to much higher air turbulence, in fact cover warranty void if used other than behind RV. Also covered bikes block plate and lights. Biggest reason for not making long trips with bikes on toad - I am scared to death about having close to four thousand bucks hanging on the end of our train, on coach they have much better protection. I think I can solve the problem with a hitch extension. Just need to park somewhere long enough to get Amazon Prime service.

sbleiweiss 12-20-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

I agree completely about the fill port location. I found it immediately incredible as soon as I saw it at the dealer on the 2014.5. He was all excited about what an improvement it was. Supposedly it allows you to fill from either side. Well, duh, if that was the goal why isn't it in the middle?
I haven't found it as big a problem as I thought I would, but you certainly do take up the entire gas island, even in a three pump configuration. And forget about any one pump island unless there is a lot of open space front or back. I don't carry bikes, but understand how that would make it even worse. Talk about fixing a non-problem!