iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

bigdaddy5120 12-24-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 2355622)
Boy Bigdaddy, you have been busy changing that coach. I have a DT and am thinking of taking the U Shaped Dinette out and putting in a counter with slide out table.

I have had these mods planned for a while , every time we stay in it for 4 or 5 days , I come up with something new I want to improve. So I took off work this week and decided to get some of them done for next season. I guess until I get rich and buy the MH I truly want #9503 - 2015 Entegra Coach Anthem 42DEQ 450HP, Mobile Eye, 12.5 Onan & iPad for sale in Alvarado TX

I will keep modding this one :) , all kidding aside I really like my chllenger but I like the Entegra better but I'm sure I would mod it also :)

bigdaddy5120 12-24-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2351337)
Jensen dash radio JRV212T , did your come with a remote ? I have one for TV's and outside radio but nothing for the dash. I found this JENSEN Credit Card Remote for JENSEN Heavy Duty Stereos

It says it will work. It would be nice to have this, so the wife can operate the radio while we are driving.

I can confirm this remote works with the Jensen JRV212T, I received mine in the mail today.

tedgard01 12-24-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2356069)
I can confirm this remote works with the Jensen JRV212T, I received mine in the mail today.

Good to know. Thanks!

Ted

tedgard01 12-24-2014 03:50 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2354628)
I completed the last of my mods this week. Hose to put fresh clean water in Black/Gray tanks after flushing ( 1/3 full in both ) . This mod means no more trips outside with 5 gallon bucket. The mod has a shutoff valve for when it's not in use.

Not sure I understand the need for this mod. Can you give me the reasoning?

After I flush the tank, I simply hook up the hose to the tank clean out that came with the coach, and spray enough water until it has been thoroughly cleaned.

Ted

bigdaddy5120 12-24-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2356092)
Not sure I understand the need for this mod. Can you give me the reasoning?

After I flush the tank, I simply hook up the hose to the tank clean out that came with the coach, and spray enough water until it has been thoroughly cleaned.

Ted

I too use to do that with my 5th wheel , but Challenger has a warning not to use the clean out with the valve closed, and using the toilet takes too long to add enough to get a 1/3 full. So I make this the last thing I do before I leave . This might not work for everyone but it will me . It will enable me to put all the stuff in my tanks prior to leaving along with the water. I had issue with the black tank smelling with with my 5th wheel so I ask the guy (a fulltimer) during my PDI what I could do to keep this from happening on the challenger. He suggested to add a cup of dawn, (2) cascade gel packs (water softener) along with it filled to 1/3 full of clean water for both tanks. I have done this for over a year and no problems with the tanks smelling.

tedgard01 12-24-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2356155)
I too use to do that with my 5th wheel , but Challenger has a warning not to use the clean out with the valve closed, and using the toilet takes too long to add enough to get a 1/3 full. So I make this the last thing I do before I leave . This might not work for everyone but it will me . It will enable me to put all the stuff in my tanks prior to leaving along with the water. I had issue with the black tank smelling with with my 5th wheel so I ask the guy (a fulltimer) during my PDI what I could do to keep this from happening on the challenger. He suggested to add a cup of dawn, (2) cascade gel packs (water softener) along with it filled to 1/3 full of clean water for both tanks. I have done this for over a year and no problems with the tanks smelling.

I see. Thank you for the info.

Ted

AKJohn 12-25-2014 10:35 AM

I think Thor warns against using the built in black tank flush system with the valve closed because the are afraid someone will walk away from their MH with the water on and overfill the black tank. I partially fill and flush my black tank (by closing the drain valve) every time I dump my tanks. It doesn't hurt anything and works well.

To thoroughly clean the black or grey tank, especially when the tank level sensors stop working, I fill the tank about 1/4 with fresh water. Then while the tank is still filling I put in about half a cup of liquid automatic dishwasher soap and continue filling with fresh water to about 1/2 capacity. If the tank level sensors are not working it is guess work for the grey tank. With the black tank I can look down the toilet with a flash light and see how much water is going in the tank. After driving the MH for a few hours and letting the soap slosh around, I dump the tanks on arrival at my destination. It cleans the tanks and the level sensors work again. I've also done this with regular dish soap, but the automatic dishwasher soap is formulated to wash with less suds. I've never had any soap bubbles coming out of my rooftop tank vents using the dish soap but I suppose it could happen. I don't want to take a chance.

ctpres 12-25-2014 12:10 PM

KT Zone heating

Our first encounter with cold weather, but still above freezing. Gave us a chance to test different heating systems and learn how to live in colder climes. Gas furnace did about as expected - keep wet bay temp up a little, too much air moving in bathroom and not enough in front cabin area. Still livable. Fireplace and two 1,500 watt space heaters proved to be more than enough in mid thirty's temps. Best of all so far is ability to independently heat: bedroom and bathroom, front bedroom/TV room or kitchen, dine and bathroom. We just closed doors and set heater for that area only for our comfort. Loving our KT.

bigdaddy5120 12-25-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2356886)
Our first encounter with cold weather, but still above freezing. Gave us a chance to test different heating systems and learn how to live in colder climes. Gas furnace did about as expected - keep wet bay temp up a little, too much air moving in bathroom and not enough in front cabin area. Still livable. Fireplace and two 1,500 watt space heaters proved to be more than enough in mid thirty's temps. Best of all so far is ability to independently heat: bedroom and bathroom, front bedroom/TV room or kitchen, dine and bathroom. We just closed doors and set heater for that area only for our comfort. Loving our KT.

I have stayed in temps in the mid to upper 20's and the furnace never turn on with it set on 65. I use the fireplace and (2) 1,500 watt space heaters.
I still have a 3/4 tank of propane that came in challenger when I bought it in 2013. We stay in Tuscaloosa,AL until the end of November every year for football.

tedgard01 12-25-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2356886)

Here is a tip from one of my earlier posts;

I found that if you have the heater on, the bed room is much warmer than the rest of the coach. I found a cheep solution that helps to regulate the heat, and push more up to the front of the coach.

I took off the vent in the bedroom and took one of the flat (but concave) sink strainers (picked it up at Lowe's or Home Depot) and duct taped it into the inside of the vent. Then I put duct tape over more than half of the holes in the sink strainer. After replacing the vent, it now pushes more heat up front which makes the heat more even throughout the coach.

Ted

ctpres 12-26-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2357237)
Here is a tip from one of my earlier posts;
I took off the vent in the bedroom and took one of the flat (but concave) sink strainers (picked it up at Lowe's or Home Depot) and duct taped it into the inside of the vent. Then I put duct tape over more than half of the holes in the sink strainer. After replacing the vent, it now pushes more heat up front which makes the heat more even throughout the coach.
Ted

Sounds like you have a round vent in bedroom, if so it must be on a vertical surface. We all have the same basic floor plan but I am beginning to see big differences in the way appliances and hardware are located. Not asking for a picture here but I think we all should use more with our mods and questions.
I read furnace manual and have been reluctant to block any vent to force air to another area. Manual is quite specific as to venting and intake in sq in. In fact our furnace seems to be improperly installed according to specifications. If I ever get around to figuring out how to measure duct pressure I might look into moding the vent system. When I was cleaning up the flex duct under sink I found four hot air outlets from the furnace: wet bay, bathroom, kitchen and floor. The wet bay probably receives less air as it is a sealed box. The floor duct with two outlets has the biggest areas to heat yet it has the same amount of air as the bathroom! My idea right now is to remove bathroom vent, reroute that duct to frig wall facing front bedroom and turn bathroom vent space into a drawer. Other than building drawer and matching drawer front to existing - it really is a easy job. Other options might be to add another outlet to furnace for the front or reroute basement duct to front and heat basement with electric.
Since our long range travel plans do not include cold weather, I think this project will be on the back burner for a long time.

tedgard01 12-26-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2357420)
Sounds like you have a round vent in bedroom, if so it must be on a vertical surface...

The wet bay probably receives less air as it is a sealed box.....

Yes, the bedroom vent is a round vent, on the bottom of the wall that is the inside wall of the washer/dryer closet. This mod worked great for us as the temp in the front of the coach is the same as the back now, but you are correct that your solution may need a different set up.

In regard to the wet bay's, even though there is a heater vent going to the wet bay, I was concerned what temp they are when in cold weather. Luckily our temps are not that bad here in the winter for the most part. At night we can drop to freezing, but most of the time we don't have temps below 27 deg, occasionally lower. By the way, my coach is parked next to my house and plugged into a 50 amp box when at home.

I went to Lowe's and picked up two remote thermostats, one for the fresh water bay (passenger side) and the other for the city water hook up bay (driver's side). They were about $15 each. They transmit up to about 150 feet. I can then monitor what the heat is from inside the house to see what the temp is in the separate water bay's any time.

When the heater inside the coach is set to 60 degrees and the outside temp drops down to 27 degrees the wet bays are at 40 degrees in both bays. Therefore, when we have cold weather, I keep my heater on at about 63 degrees just to be sure.

As we us our coach throughout the winter months, this allows me to take off at any time with out having to winterize and de-winterize.

Ted

LyonsL 12-26-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2357136)
I have stayed in temps in the mid to upper 20's and the furnace never turn on with it set on 65. I use the fireplace and (2) 1,500 watt space heaters.
I still have a 3/4 tank of propane that came in challenger when I bought it in 2013. We stay in Tuscaloosa,AL until the end of November every year for football.

bigdaddy5120 or ctpres,
I got the optional dual pane windows when I ordered our coach. Do either of you have the dual pane windows? If so or if not, do you think they help in the colder weather?
We had reservations to winter in Florida this year but had to cancel do to unexpected family health problems and won't be able to test out our coach until spring. Just wondering if the dual pane windows are a good investment.

bigdaddy5120 12-26-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2358028)
bigdaddy5120 or ctpres,
I got the optional dual pane windows when I ordered our coach. Do either of you have the dual pane windows? If so or if not, do you think they help in the colder weather?
We had reservations to winter in Florida this year but had to cancel do to unexpected family health problems and won't be able to test out our coach until spring. Just wondering if the dual pane windows are a good investment.

I don't have Dual Pane Windows so I can't say they would be worth the 1400 extra or not but I would have gotten them if I could. Down south you have to special order the coach with them. None of the CW around me had a challenger with them when I bought mine in the summer of 2013.