iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

jkcruzer1 12-26-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2358028)
bigdaddy5120 or ctpres,
I got the optional dual pane windows when I ordered our coach. Do either of you have the dual pane windows? If so or if not, do you think they help in the colder weather?
We had reservations to winter in Florida this year but had to cancel do to unexpected family health problems and won't be able to test out our coach until spring. Just wondering if the dual pane windows are a good investment.

I have the dual pane windows and it is somewhat more comfortable in cold weather and a little quieter with them.

sbleiweiss 12-27-2014 10:43 AM

Responding to various discussions, mostly about heat. For those of you that use electric space heaters do you use ordinary residential ones or special RV ones? We blew a breaker with an ordinary one while on 110 power (20 amp). Are they fine on 50 amp?

Our KT bedroom has a floor register, and the bedroom gets noticably less heat than the bathroom and kitchen. I replaced the round bathroom register with one that is adjustable, adjusted down about 3/4, and have had no problem. Bathroom is right temperature now. Bedroom still gets less. Kitchen heats too quickly and shuts the whole furnace off because the thermostat on wall is right above the wall register. The thermostat will heat up several degrees in just minutes, without much heat going to other parts of the coach. I plan to get a directional adjustable register for that kitchen spot and send the heat more toward the living room area. I think the system will run longer each time and also warm the living room more.

We don't have dual pane windows either.

We'd be lost without the fireplace heat supplement for the front of the coach.

ctpres 12-27-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2358028)
bigdaddy5120 or ctpres,
I got the optional dual pane windows when I ordered our coach. Do either of you have the dual pane windows? If so or if not, do you think they help in the colder weather?
We had reservations to winter in Florida this year but had to cancel do to unexpected family health problems and won't be able to test out our coach until spring. Just wondering if the dual pane windows are a good investment.

Somehow ours came with dual pane only at the big dine window. Is much more comfortable sitting at table than anywhere near single pane front windows. Other than high probability of seal failure, in the long run, I think dual pane is best.

bigdaddy5120 12-27-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2358743)
Responding to various discussions, mostly about heat. For those of you that use electric space heaters do you use ordinary residential ones or special RV ones? We blew a breaker with an ordinary one while on 110 power (20 amp). Are they fine on 50 amp?

Our KT bedroom has a floor register, and the bedroom gets noticably less heat than the bathroom and kitchen. I replaced the round bathroom register with one that is adjustable, adjusted down about 3/4, and have had no problem. Bathroom is right temperature now. Bedroom still gets less. Kitchen heats too quickly and shuts the whole furnace off because the thermostat on wall is right above the wall register. The thermostat will heat up several degrees in just minutes, without much heat going to other parts of the coach. I plan to get a directional adjustable register for that kitchen spot and send the heat more toward the living room area. I think the system will run longer each time and also warm the living room more.

We don't have dual pane windows either.

We'd be lost without the fireplace heat supplement for the front of the coach.

Just regular ceramic space heaters. I don't have a problem popping the breakers while on 50 amp as long as they are on different circuits . I use the outlet below the kitchen TV for one heater and the outlet beside the entry steps for other . You can also use the outlet upfront by passenger seat. While on 30 amp at home I can't run 2 space and fireplace together but I can 2 of them . I done this last week while working on my mods.

LyonsL 12-27-2014 04:41 PM

Dual Pane Windows & Heat

Thanks for all of the replies concerning the dual pane windows. Our previous coach did not have them and it was cool and drafty on very cold mornings. We used the furnace, two space heaters and kept the window shades closed to help keep it warm.

With the exception of the windshield, the 2015 KT has frameless windows and we're hoping those and the dual panes help keep it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Time will tell if it's an improvement or ends up being a nightmare!

We've only taken two short trips with the new KT and have noticed that it rides very quiet compared to our old coach. No rattles or wind noise from the front side windows. Can't wait to use it more next year!

bigdaddy5120 12-27-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2359164)
No rattles or wind noise from the front side windows.

I have single pane and the front rattles like crazy but I put some weather stripping in the channels and it cut most of it out. I would like to upgrade these at some point . I really like the frameless windows but they didn't have them on my 2014.

Hope you get to enjoy many trips next season , we really love our KT !!

ctpres 12-27-2014 07:07 PM

DIY roof satellite

Anybody install your own on a newer Challenger? Was Thor roof cable location info right? Was there 12v wire with coax on roof? Am looking at Winegard G2.

ctpres 12-27-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2358805)
You can also use the outlet upfront by passenger seat.

You need to check and be sure that outlet isn't on the inverter - ours is. Would suck batteries dry in nothing flat if there was a power failure. On my list of mods is an outlet, on dedicated breaker, on forward side side frig wall just for heater. Running wire should be relatively easy in the KT.

bigdaddy5120 12-27-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2359370)
You need to check and be sure that outlet isn't on the inverter - ours is. Would suck batteries dry in nothing flat if there was a power failure. On my list of mods is an outlet, on dedicated breaker, on forward side side frig wall just for heater. Running wire should be relatively easy in the KT.

You are correct it is on the inverter, I keep the inverter off while hooked to shore power. I would really like to see your mod for the heater outlet.

bigdaddy5120 12-28-2014 11:04 AM

I completed my last MOD's for a while, out of money and idea's :) I installed my RV quick shades to the driver and passenger windows . I trimmed these to fit. These install in less than minute and match the front auto sun shade perfectly .

Here is link to where I bought them and the size, they were 91.00 with shipping. RV Shades Pilot Co-Pilot Kit 48x42
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...680416517b.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...8d6a24a9bb.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...433f006014.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...274493f63b.jpghttps://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...ce6f73390e.jpg

bigdaddy5120 12-28-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1487893)
You guys are a great bunch. I look forward to seeing what you have to say each day or so. I also like that you donít get your panties in a bunch when you get an opinion that may differ from your own. It truly is the least painful way to learn. If you feel I'm jacking something up, I expect you to say so. Thanks again for all the great discussions.

With that being said, my next mod is the LED lights across the awnings. I recently went to the RV show in Baltimore and the new thing is LED's. I'm not so big on that but, the one mod I did see is the permanent white LEDs lengthwise across the awning tube. The kit was stupid expensive and because I'm a cheap, I found all the supplies to make my own at a tenth of the cost. If youíre interested, let me now and Iíll get enough for a few kits, work out the bugs and send them to you.

Did you ever complete this mod or anyone else ? I would like to mount the awning LED's just under the awning , this way I could use the lights whether awning was deployed or not.

rvbunz 12-28-2014 06:07 PM

Bigdaddy, curious, where are you located? I'd like to see your mods. You have been busy. Maybe you could attend the TMCOC rally in May and show off your mods.

bigdaddy5120 12-28-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 2360636)
Bigdaddy, curious, where are you located? I'd like to see your mods. You have been busy. Maybe you could attend the TMCOC rally in May and show off your mods.

I'm in Elkmont , Alabama ( North Alabama about 100 miles south of Nashville) . If your ever in the area , LMK I would love to meet some of you fine folks . I wish I could make the trip but there is no way with work. I wish I could be there, I bet it will be allot of fun.

The Challenger is my tinker project , I love make it better for me and my family. This site is great for all of us to come together and share some great ideas. The things I have done recently, I have been planning all year to do, finally got time around the holidays to get some projects completed.

Take care !!! Everyone keep the mods coming in !!! I hope everyone has a blessed 2015 !!

ctpres 12-30-2014 06:49 AM

Punch List

After 1,500 mile shake down cruise we pulled into our favorite service center - Alliance Coach, Wildwood, FL For a week or more of quality service and to get a Winegard X2 installed on the roof. Will report on work done or not done and why. Three days spent on the road since 12/18 were in the rain and the one problem that must be fixed, a small roof leak.