iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

ctpres 01-02-2015 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2367007)
I keep "RV breakdown tools" in mine, i.e. triangular reflectors, fluorescent vest, large socket & ratchet to remove rear wheel hubs, truck tire gauge, rags, spare flashlight, etc. It's on a safe side of the coach and you have easy access to it.

BINGO! You saved me a lot of thinking. Thanks for sharing.

ctpres 01-03-2015 07:38 AM

My brain won't shut off at night!

Originally Posted by LyonsL https://www.irv2.com/forums/images/ir...s/viewpost.gif
I keep "RV breakdown tools" in mine, i.e. triangular reflectors, fluorescent vest, large socket & ratchet to remove rear wheel hubs, truck tire gauge, rags, spare flashlight, etc. It's on a safe side of the coach and you have easy access to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2367356)
BINGO! You saved me a lot of thinking. Thanks for sharing.

Woke up this morning with another idea. Sure hope everybody on this thread is a good guy. Don't tell anyone else - SAFE! Have been struggling with best location for ours. Needs: solid mounting surface - location easy to get to and not easy to find. Have already measured and figured out basics of how to do it. Won't happen until we are parked for the winter - probably a multi day job with my limited resources and tools. Until I get around to it LyonsL' s idea is what I am going to do. With a little more planning there is probably enough room for both.

AKJohn 01-03-2015 09:58 AM

"looking to install a direct tv hd satellite and want to do it myself,has anyone else done this before. I have a 2014 KT

thanks"

You might try calling Thor and talk to one of their technicians. I've spoken to them several times and found them very knowledgeable and helpful. They should be able to tell you how to locate the per-wired cable on the roof, etc. Sometimes the time waiting on hold gets a little long but it's worth it.
Good luck.

ctpres 01-03-2015 10:02 AM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

2 Attachment(s)
#47. Have read numerous posts about problems with kitchen counter top extension being weak, short screws etc. Since ours was off level a little I decided to check it out. Only three #6 screws securing hinge to extension and as shown in one picture they were screwed into space between counter top and wood. Safe bet they would not last long. My solution shown in hinge picture. Drilled more screw holes closer to edge of hinge. Reinstalled using three original screws holes for alignment and then added screws at the new holes. Only three #6 securing drop rod. To fix my off level problem I removed drop rod and added cardboard spacers until level and just added fourth screw when done. If yours not level you could just plug original drop rod screw holes and take advantage of the slotted holes to make adjustments rather than adding spacers. I figured plugging holes and drilling so close to original that it might not work.
End results - extension very secure and level. Don't think I would sit on it but bet it will hold anything we will ever put on it.
Hint - To be sure you don't drill into bottom of counter top - put tape on drill bit.

bigdaddy5120 01-03-2015 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M72561 (Post 2367110)
looking to install a direct tv hd satellite and want to do it myself,has anyone else done this before. I have a 2014 KT

thanks

I bought the system from amazon( 1,250.00 ) I had it installed at the dealer for 500.00. It is installed upfront beside the TV antenna, All the wiring is run into the upper cabinet above passenger seat. Hope that helps some.

ctpres 01-03-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M72561 (Post 2367110)
looking to install a direct tv hd satellite and want to do it myself,has anyone else done this before. I have a 2014 KT
thanks

I considered DIY but decided on letting someone with lots of experience do it. For what it's worth thought. We have Direct at home but I decided on dual service, Direct & Dish capable antenna. Considering just cost of antenna, I can not see forcing myself to be stuck with one provider. We are going with Winegard G2 Carryout with roof mount kit. I will save handle and rubber feet in case we get stuck with no sat view and long term stay. I could just put feet/handle back on and move it as needed. I kinda like having best of both worlds. Portability/fixed install and Dish/Direct provider choice. Only possible down side of dual service antenna is it needs 12vdc and coax. Depends on just what Thor calls prewired.
If all goes well it should be installed next week by Alliance Coach, Wildwood, FL for $360 labor and $752 for material and equipment. Will post results here when done.

ctpres 01-04-2015 10:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
#48 First time to really use a'cond and found some of the vents hard to rotate. One vent had loose louver. Vent base is covered by a snap on trim ring. Insert very little of screwdriver tip between ceiling and edge of ring. Pull down. First one is always the hard one. From this point on best to have air off - less mess. Remove vent assembly from ceiling and then use small screwdriver and twist point at snap latch while pushing vent ring out - do not try to eliminate this step as there will be more junk in track. While apart look at each vent wing connector pin and be sure each is snapped in slot below ramp. Note the maximum vent opening is less than 90 degrees. While vent removed is good time to clean duct. I took all of them out - pushed tape measure thru ceiling from one hole to next - attached string with rag on end to tape and pulled rag thru duct several times. Did great job of removing everything including dust. Clean ducts and all vents rotate with ease.

bigdaddy5120 01-05-2015 09:05 PM

Anybody got one of these installed or seen one installed ?
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Electric-He...A3CROTXZWCFF06

ctpres 01-06-2015 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
#49 Bathroom sliding door rubbing on edge of nightstand counter top. Three ways to fix this. One didn't work and I did the hardest one. First I removed screws for counter top so I could reposition it - opps top glued on - first time I have seen glue used in cabinet assembly. Removed nightstand and carpeted cable cover between it and bed platform. Trimmed shag carpet off sides of cable cover and reinstalled everything, pushing both away from door before setting screws. That got me about 1/8 inch clearance between door to top of nightstand. While testing and admiring my handiwork, I noticed how thick door guide at bottom of door was and how easy it would have been to remove it - shave some off back and get same results with a lot less work. Picture shows carpeted cable cover between bed and night stand, door guide at bottom of door and resulting space at top.

ctpres 01-06-2015 08:38 AM

#50. Couple of drawer travel locks not properly latching and drawers opening during travel. Removed drawer and slide from drawer. Put drawer slide back in track without drawer. Then just moved slide in and out to see how far in it needed to be for latch to fully engage. Measured space between new end of drawer slide and front face of cabinet. Reinstalled slide on drawer using results above. In my case, drawer slide was moved almost 1/2 inch to rear of drawer. Latch is adjustable but it won't do any good if latch not fully engaged.

ctpres 01-06-2015 09:27 AM

Will I go to jail?

1 Attachment(s)
If the sticker police catch me I might. Looking at the Camping World decal on our coach yesterday and decided they did not do a good enough job to justify me advertising for them all over the US. So I removed both of them. Well you know how it is one thing leads to another. Went inside and saw stickers everywhere. Not any more - all removed and moved to kitchen cabinet door, just in case future owners wants to read them or sticker police make me put em back.

ctpres 01-06-2015 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
#51. Guess today was a crappy day! Toilet bowl seat so close to straight up when open that once in awhile it would drop down while cleaning bowl. Put a piece of paper between lid end and top of bolt cover and found out where back edge of seat was hitting top of bolt covers. Just a few passes with a file on the offending bumps and now seat tilts back just enough beyond TDC that it will stay up while work is in progress. In pic's I tried to use wall as reference to show seat angle before and after.

sbleiweiss 01-06-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2371626)
Anybody got one of these installed or seen one installed ?
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Electric-He...A3CROTXZWCFF06

No, but I was cleaning the AC returns the other day and noticed that there is a mounting for a supplemental heat unit. So it appears there are two different ways to go if you want another heater. In addition to the portable electrics of course.

ctpres 01-06-2015 12:42 PM

Are you prewired for satellite?

1 Attachment(s)
Well maybe! According to Thor there is a decal on the roof showing where coax is located. Not on ours. So where is the coax? So far they have not been able to answer that question. Thought some of you might like to have this drawing. BTW they said prewired with coax only. That means some installs will be a lot of extra work. If you do have a decal on the roof I recommend you take a picture and measure the location as the decal may not last very long. Ours didn't. If you have decal or already installed satellite would you show or tell me where your coax is.