iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DMcRaney 01-06-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2371626)
Anybody got one of these installed or seen one installed ?
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Electric-He...A3CROTXZWCFF06

Sorry its been awhile since I have been able to post. Yes, we have a cheep heat on our 37GT. We were full time late Jan-April 2014 in Kansas City. I dont know if you know how bad it got there, but we spent almost 6 weeks below freezing and 5-7 days below zero.

I can safely say that one) the coach was never ment to be used in that weather, two) we could not get the loacl gas company to call us back so renting a tank was out of the option, three) cheep heat was the only option to moving the coach a couple of times a week to refill the tank, and four) we did not die.

The loacl camping world had never herd of it, but a independent RV repair place had and agreed to try and instal it. It required some conversations with the guy who owns cheep heat. He was not very easy to work with.

One of the things we learned it it actually has three settings for heat output that has to be selected at time of instal and can not be changed without a lot of work. The number of ducts, bends, and other factors determine which temperature option is recommended for the coach. The 2014.5 37GT that we have calls for the lowest setting.

At that setting it did not warm anything, so we had them change it to the middle setting. They would not set it to high. At that setting it seems to run fine and heated the coach (along with two space heaters in the front, but remember we where in the teens most nights).

The only other real draw back is it will not run off the generator. So if you have access to shore power it works great. The other major issue we ran into was the sewage line freezing, but that is another story.

Dave

bigdaddy5120 01-06-2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcRaney (Post 2372641)
Sorry its been awhile since I have been able to post. Yes, we have a cheep heat on our 37GT. We were full time late Jan-April 2014 in Kansas City. I dont know if you know how bad it got there, but we spent almost 6 weeks below freezing and 5-7 days below zero.

I can safely say that one) the coach was never ment to be used in that weather, two) we could not get the loacl gas company to call us back so renting a tank was out of the option, three) cheep heat was the only option to moving the coach a couple of times a week to refill the tank, and four) we did not die.

The loacl camping world had never herd of it, but a independent RV repair place had and agreed to try and instal it. It required some conversations with the guy who owns cheep heat. He was not very easy to work with.

One of the things we learned it it actually has three settings for heat output that has to be selected at time of instal and can not be changed without a lot of work. The number of ducts, bends, and other factors determine which temperature option is recommended for the coach. The 2014.5 37GT that we have calls for the lowest setting.

At that setting it did not warm anything, so we had them change it to the middle setting. They would not set it to high. At that setting it seems to run fine and heated the coach (along with two space heaters in the front, but remember we where in the teens most nights).

The only other real draw back is it will not run off the generator. So if you have access to shore power it works great. The other major issue we ran into was the sewage line freezing, but that is another story.

Dave

Thanks for the information, as I don't fulltime in ours and shouldn't be in the coach in those kind of temps , sounds like it would work for me. I don't like propane heat and the small electric heaters to me aren't that safe. So I found this option and it seams it will work. I was able to install the electric heating element in my previous 5th wheel, but that's not an option this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2372246)
No, but I was cleaning the AC returns the other day and noticed that there is a mounting for a supplemental heat unit. So it appears there are two different ways to go if you want another heater. In addition to the portable electrics of course.

As fate has it , I can't do this with my model AC unit :banghead:

bigdaddy5120 01-06-2015 07:01 PM

Well after checking into the cheapheat system , 550.00 for the system, and 1200-1500 for install. I think I will pass on that no more than we would need the heat.

ctpres 01-07-2015 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2372921)
Well after checking into the cheapheat system , 550.00 for the system, and 1200-1500 for install. I think I will pass on that no more than we would need the heat.

Look into kickspace heaters. I put one in our Damon kitchen and coupled with a radiant heater in bedroom (no fan for quiet heat) we were happy and warm. We set digital thermostat for comfort and propane thermostat for back-up in case of power failure or really cold weather and electric couldn't keep up - which only happened in below freezing temps. Basically you put several heaters in strategic locations - each with a $5 12v110v electronic solid state relay for central thermostat control and it's own 110 breaker. Run 12v wire from each heater to battery powered residential thermostat. The whole coach heating system cost a lot less than the cheapheat. My biggest problem with cheapheat is heat distribution. If you don't like heat distribution with propane - cheapheat won't be any better and will have the same high noise level. Come to Zachary Taylor RV resort in Okeechobee this winter and I'll help you put it in. Or you can wait until I get around to doing it on ours and describing it here. My plan is small radiant wall heater in bedroom, kickspace heater in kitchen and a digital thermostat controlling bedroom, kitchen AND fireplace. Very rough estimate for the whole DIY project is around $400.

sbleiweiss 01-07-2015 10:24 AM

The other major issue we ran into was the sewage line freezing, but that is another story.

Dave[/QUOTE]

So you obviously weren't winterized. Please tell us how the heat vents to the water basements worked in that cold. Other than the sewer line, did you have any freezing line problems?

ctpres 01-07-2015 04:47 PM

Are you prewired for satellite #2

1 Attachment(s)
Two holes in roof and NO COAX! PO'ed with Thor to say the least. This drawing may be helpful to others, but not us. Couple more problems like this and they won't be able to shut me up.

bigdaddy5120 01-07-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2374130)
Two holes in roof and NO COAX! PO'ed with Thor to say the least. This drawing may be helpful to others, but not us. Couple more problems like this and they won't be able to shut me up.

I feel your pain. I have 4 HD TV's and the only one that had RG6 and HDMI was the living room tv. I don't think this will be much help but check this thread I started . It shows the path that was used by CW when my HDMI and RG6 coax was run to all TV's.https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/my-2...de-190970.html

This cost me 700.00 to have done but it was a must for me.

ctpres 01-10-2015 06:10 AM

Follow-up to our satellite install. Installation was done by Alliance Coach, Wildwood, FL. In spite of problems with Thor prewire, they did a great job on the install and it works great. Had to run all new coax do to Thor sloppy prewire and or very bad documentation. Thor was depending on a decal stuck on roof for coax location. Did they ever think how long decal would stay on when dealer shinned new rig up for sale using pressure washer? I can think of a number of different ways to mark coax location and a decal would never enter my mind. I mentioned it before - if you have a decal on your roof - document the location with pictures and your own measurements. I would paint or stain the spot. I decided on the Winegard Carryout G2 for several reasons: Works with DTV or Dish so I am not hostage to one service provider, roof mountable but can be removed and used as portable if needed, Winegard support given high marks in product reviews and very few negative reports from actual G2 users. Only down side for the G2 is it needs 12vdc and for roof mount that will add to the labor involved since Thor only prewires the coax. Antenna housing was mounted on the roof centerline behind the kitchen ceiling vent. I liked that location much better than what seems to be most common - just behind windshield. Farther back affords some dome protection by having a'cond and other stuff taking hits before the fragile dome. G2 only needs 2 amps so you could pick up the 12v at the fan motor. We used DTV receiver from S&B which turned out to be factory default on antenna switch settings. Followed G2 DTV setup instructions in manual and was watching TV in minutes (not counting the receiver startup time.) I need to clean up the last couple feet of wiring and install a power switch before I can call it done.

bigdaddy5120 01-10-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2377405)
Followed G2 DTV setup instructions in manual and was watching TV in minutes (not counting the receiver startup time.) I need to clean up the last couple feet of wiring and install a power switch before I can call it done.

Just a note if you have Directv this unit will not do HD.
  • Compatible Satellite Providers: DIRECTV SD, DISH SD & HD, Bell SD & HD
  • DIRECTV Satellites: 101 or 119
  • DISH Satellites: 110, 119, 129
  • Bell TV Satellites: 91 or 82

RVredneck 01-10-2015 07:40 PM

Got the call last week our coach is on the assembly line. Heading to Elkhart tomorrow to see our RV getting assembled on Monday and Tuesday. Pretty excited!!

bigdaddy5120 01-10-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2378390)
Got the call last week our coach is on the assembly line. Heading to Elkhart tomorrow to see our RV getting assembled on Monday and Tuesday. Pretty excited!!

Congratulations! I'm sure that will be very neat to see !! I know you will enjoy it.

sbleiweiss 01-11-2015 04:54 AM

Has anyone replaced or adjusted the windshield wipers to make better contact with window? Seems there are always stretches of wiper missing the window completely. Got behind a deicer truck yesterday in Arkansas and the MH is a mess.

bigdaddy5120 01-11-2015 07:37 AM

Anybody got a mud guard on the back of the challenger , if so could you post a picture. I am thinking on adding one.

Thanks
Bigdaddy51200

ctpres 01-11-2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2378783)
Anybody got a mud guard on the back of the challenger , if so could you post a picture. I am thinking on adding one.

Thanks
Bigdaddy51200

x2 on mud, rock and splash guard. Have not done so far due many comments about guard seems to stir up more rocks doing more damage to toad than before installation. Not sure how we can be sure.