iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

camato5 01-11-2015 08:01 AM

I had one on my 2014 Thor Tuscany 40EX DP , but removed it because if I drove over too steep of an incline (like a drive way etc.) it would lay flat then got crushed by the trailer hitch. I removed mine and straightened it up, but did not put it back. I did not notice if the dealer had installed it as high as it would go and may try to put it back on some day. Also mine had two reflectors (one on each side) and the exhaust pipe melted the reflector on the passenger side before I even got my new RV home. I pulled off both reflectors and someday plan on adding the stainless steel trim on it to make it look better. That is IF it does not get bent up again. They are super easy to install. if you look under your coach, (open the diesel motor access door if you have a diesel pusher) and you will see two holes drilled in the last cross member between the rear tires and rear of coach. Hang the mud guard with chain and screw type clevis. takes about 5 minutes. I can send pics if you wish. Good luck

LyonsL 01-11-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2378783)
Anybody got a mud guard on the back of the challenger , if so could you post a picture. I am thinking on adding one.

Thanks
Bigdaddy51200

I installed one on my previous coach...
https://www.campingworld.com/shopping...torhomes/18601

I don't know if it helped with protecting the toad but I did notice a 2 mpg drop in highway gas mileage immediately after the install. It created a lot of extra drag.

We plan to travel much more with the new coach so I'm going to hold off for awhile before I install a mud guard.

bigdaddy5120 01-11-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2378936)
I installed one on my previous coach...
Ultra Guard - 94"W x 16"H for Motorhomes - Smart Solutions 00016 - Rock Guards - Camping World

I don't know if it helped with protecting the toad but I did notice a 2 mpg drop in highway gas mileage immediately after the install. It created a lot of extra drag.

We plan to travel much more with the new coach so I'm going to hold off for awhile before I install a mud guard.

Thanks for the info, something to consider .

ctpres 01-12-2015 07:06 AM

Denver mattress problems?

After just over three weeks of use our Denver Weekender mattress is showing signs of serious failure. Both sides of the bed are developing indentations were we normally sleep and they don't recover during the day. It is like laying in a hammock - you can't move over - the sides are so high. And it looks like we are not the only ones having a problem. Jayco owners are reporting similar problems. Safe bet Thor wty solution will be to replace with same worthless product. Sure hope not. If you are shopping for a new mattress I can not recommend Denver Weekender.

bdickson 01-12-2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2380080)
After just over three weeks of use our Denver Weekender mattress is showing signs of serious failure. Both sides of the bed are developing indentations were we normally sleep and they don't recover during the day. It is like laying in a hammock - you can't move over - the sides are so high. And it looks like we are not the only ones having a problem. Jayco owners are reporting similar problems. Safe bet Thor wty solution will be to replace with same worthless product. Sure hope not. If you are shopping for a new mattress I can not recommend Denver Weekender.

This web site https://lci1.com/rv-weekender seems to make it clear the mattress is intended for weekend or occasional use only. I don't remember what mattress came with our new 2013 Challenger, but we drove straight from the dealer to CW and replaced it with a Euro Top Mattress, Short Queen 60" X 74" .

bigdaddy5120 01-12-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2380080)

I put a 3 inch memory foam topper on mine and now it sleeps better than my tempurpedic at home.

RVredneck 01-13-2015 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 83227

There she is. Did the plant tour yesterday. Nothing short of impressive!!!

sbleiweiss 01-13-2015 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2380672)
I put a 3 inch memory foam topper on mine and now it sleeps better than my tempurpedic at home.

We have used the Denver mattress that came with the Challenger for 25,000 miles worth of travel without these problems. Not sure it is the weekender though.

LyonsL 01-13-2015 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2381310)
Attachment 83227

There she is. Did the plant tour yesterday. Nothing short of impressive!!!

Nice! What colors did you order?

LyonsL 01-13-2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2380672)

We've done the same but our travels have been put on hold for this winter so I guess time will tell. We've considered buying a Sleep Number mattress in the future but haven't done a lot of research on that yet.

Rascal55 01-13-2015 11:36 AM

Excellent thread! I'm new to IRV2, and have stumbled on to this thread. I've just read the whole thread from start to finish, and there are some very good mods and suggestions. Some issues others have had I have also experienced and have noted that I came to the some of the same solutions. I will post some of our mods over time. Thanks to all for this great thread.
2013 challenger 37Kt owner and full timer from Manitoba Canada.

ctpres 01-13-2015 01:44 PM

Awning adjust

Finally settled into a routine and just about all set up for three months of Florida warm weather and (mostly) sunshine. First time to use awnings during heavy rain and noticed major water pooling. Read manual and found tilt adjustment very easy. Tried with awning extended and fully retracted. IMO retracted was easiest. Just push silver spring loaded button on end you want to lower and push up on tube just below the button so button slides up to the next hole. One notch good and two guaranteed to drain. I lowered front and rear ends so water drained away from door. Rain tested and happy campers. Mod list grows every day. Parking in one spot for an extended period of time puts coach furniture, lighting, HVAC and storage in a whole new light.
Really happy with our KT.

RVredneck 01-13-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2381422)
Nice! What colors did you order?

Ordered the cherry pearl or whatever it is. Once you see the amount of work and scheduling and organization that goes into building these units it's really amazing .

ctpres 01-13-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2381763)
Ordered the cherry pearl or whatever it is. Once you see the amount of work and scheduling and organization that goes into building these units it's really amazing .

Look in rear basement and if you see 3" heavy duty tubes between chassis and floor ask what they are for. Can also see a pair of them in space between wheels.