iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

RVredneck 01-13-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2381928)
Look in rear basement and if you see 3" heavy duty tubes between chassis and floor ask what they are for. Can also see a pair of them in space between wheels.

Do you have a pic of the tube?? Is it steel or abs??

ctpres 01-13-2015 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2381988)
Do you have a pic of the tube?? Is it steel or abs??

They are about 3x3x 1/4 thick steel. Heavy duty - I mean you should be able to put a couple tons on the floor.

ctpres 01-14-2015 06:55 AM

Couple more questions for the experts

RVredneck - If your frig is elevated about ten inches above floor - ask why.

There is nothing under it and only a little woodwork is necessary to create adequate return air opening. Bet a lot of DW's would be real happy if frig sat on floor. I plan on dropping ours this spring but wonder if there is a technical reason that I will regret.

Our 2015 has two hot water heater bypass systems! Why?

When you see your HWH installed look for a bypass setup at the HWH and if there is one it is redundant. We all can remove the excess plumbing and save a lot of water wasted waiting for pipes to clear out of the cold water.

Sure wish I had been there to see ours built. Tell us more. If they will let you - take LOTS of pictures. Good to know in the future what is behind panels, under sinks, where studs and wall braces are.

sbleiweiss 01-14-2015 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2381761)
Finally settled into a routine and just about all set up for three months of Florida warm weather and (mostly) sunshine. First time to use awnings during heavy rain and noticed major water pooling. Read manual and found tilt adjustment very easy. Tried with awning extended and fully retracted. IMO retracted was easiest. Just push silver spring loaded button on end you want to lower and push up on tube just below the button so button slides up to the next hole. One notch good and two guaranteed to drain. I lowered front and rear ends so water drained away from door. Rain tested and happy campers. Mod list grows every day. Parking in one spot for an extended period of time puts coach furniture, lighting, HVAC and storage in a whole new light.
Really happy with our KT.

I have been scratching my head over this awning adjust. Sounds like I may be missing something. We too have a KT. The living room couch slide is under the power awning. With the slide out I can't lower either end of the power awning without it contacting and rubbing on the top of the slide. It only really works if the slide is in, and who is going to live that way. Did you encounter this?

ctpres 01-14-2015 10:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2382689)
I have been scratching my head over this awning adjust. Sounds like I may be missing something. We too have a KT. The living room couch slide is under the power awning. With the slide out I can't lower either end of the power awning without it contacting and rubbing on the top of the slide. It only really works if the slide is in, and who is going to live that way. Did you encounter this?

I just lowered front end more, moved up to third notch and awning does touch topper roller with wind gusts. On second notch all seems to be good. Our awning fabric is actually attached to flat portion of roof. Can take more pictures if it will help. My observation is that the Challenger line is constantly undergoing change - usually for the better. One must give Thor some credit for trying to improve the product. In fact if memory serves Challenger is close to 25th birthday. If anybody knows for sure - maybe we should have a party.

jcullipher 01-15-2015 04:00 AM

I too, have scratched my head over this awning adjustment. I have a 2013DT, the adjustable arms look the same as yours, but even lowering one notch will put my awning fabric in contact with the slide topper. I can gain a very little, but still am concerned the rubbing could possibly cause a hole in the awning. Very poor planning on their part here. The awning itself is oriented in such a horizontal position, it is of very little use.

Jimmy

sbleiweiss 01-15-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcullipher (Post 2383763)
I too, have scratched my head over this awning adjustment. I have a 2013DT, the adjustable arms look the same as yours, but even lowering one notch will put my awning fabric in contact with the slide topper. I can gain a very little, but still am concerned the rubbing could possibly cause a hole in the awning. Very poor planning on their part here. The awning itself is oriented in such a horizontal position, it is of very little use.

Jimmy

OUr 2014.5 KT sounds the same as Jimmy's. We can't adjust even one notch without touching slide topper; not just in wind gusts but constantly. Awning is completely flat (no slope at all in any direction) when not lowered. Looks ridiculous and holds any water that falls. We basically can't use it.

ctpres 01-15-2015 10:04 AM

Four corner weigh results

While at Alliance Coach, Wildwood, FL we had a four corner weigh and the results were not really surprising. We need to go on a diet and move things around in the basement. Numbers that follow based on: tow bar, Ready Brake & bike rack with two bikes on rear, loaded for ten month trip, 1/3 tank of gas, empty gray, empty black, 3/4 tank propane, about 1/4 tank fresh water and no passengers inside.
Street front - 3560
Curb front - 3240
Total front - 6800

Street rear - 7340
Street curb - 7800
Total rear - 15140

Total - 21940

Moving things around to balance things out shouldn't be so hard. Dropping enough weight to add two passengers and a full tank of gas may prove to be a real challenge.

ctpres 01-15-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2380088)
This web site https://lci1.com/rv-weekender seems to make it clear the mattress is intended for weekend or occasional use only. " .

OK But! We didn't buy from LCI, Thor website says "The Challenger line offers some of the most creative designs and innovative floor plans available. Whether full timing for months or tailgating for the weekend."

sbleiweiss 01-16-2015 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2384035)
While at Alliance Coach, Wildwood, FL we had a four corner weigh and the results were not really surprising. We need to go on a diet and move things around in the basement. Numbers that follow based on: tow bar, Ready Brake & bike rack with two bikes on rear, loaded for ten month trip, 1/3 tank of gas, empty gray, empty black, 3/4 tank propane, about 1/4 tank fresh water and no passengers inside.
Street front - 3560
Curb front - 3240
Total front - 6800

Street rear - 7340
Street curb - 7800
Total rear - 15140

Total - 21940

Moving things around to balance things out shouldn't be so hard. Dropping enough weight to add two passengers and a full tank of gas may prove to be a real challenge.

Makes you glad we donl't have to stop at truck weigh stations, doen't it.

ctpres 01-16-2015 10:03 AM

Let's see your mod wish/to do list.

Here is mine:

Remote or add another switch for shade motor. Parked for longer than a few days we use front table. With table between seats it is very difficult to get at the switch twice a day.

Relocate one of the washer/dryer outlets to side of pantry for heater use. We have no plans to install a washer and dryer so the two AC circuits and breakers are being wasted.

Add one outlet to inverter for alarm clock or add a 12vdc clock.

Waterproof light in shower

Add hinge to bottom panel of couch to access available storage space under couch

Add label or colored dot to outlets on inverter

Add outlet at dine table for computer use

Cockpit thermal curtains snapped to inside of drop down bunk

Ceiling fan in bedroom

Laundry chute

Add 12v outlet both sides of dash

Move sub woofer from behind fireplace to behind TV

Hinged platform under mattress at head of bed for TV watching

Motion sensing light for entry stairs

Remote bath and kitchen power switch to wall

Add hardwired nightlight in bathroom

Sink and stovetop cover storage shelves at top of pantry or over frig when it is setting on the floor

Bug screen behind grill

Put frig on floor

Light on bottom of drop down bunk for reading at table

Exhaust for vent hood

Move bath heat vent to bottom and put drawer in space

Raise floor at entry door threshold to eliminate the BUMP

Color entry door exit handle so guests can find it

Pole with hook on end or strap on out TV door - when on jacks hard to reach to close

Wine rack in panel between drawers or oven and frig

Wall mount digital thermostat for fireplace and eventually other built-in heaters

Kitchen counter top removable plug with finger hole over trash can

There is more but that is all I can think of right now. What is on your list?

Claudia44 01-16-2015 10:24 AM

Awning Position

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2383978)
OUr 2014.5 KT sounds the same as Jimmy's. We can't adjust even one notch without touching slide topper; not just in wind gusts but constantly. Awning is completely flat (no slope at all in any direction) when not lowered. Looks ridiculous and holds any water that falls. We basically can't use it.

I have the awning in it's lowest position and it touches the slide out but no issues opening or retracting. The awning does not have any dimples from the slide out under neath. Lower your awning and enjoy!

Claudia..

RVredneck 01-17-2015 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2382107)
They are about 3x3x 1/4 thick steel. Heavy duty - I mean you should be able to put a couple tons on the floor.

They are just extra support because they couldn't get full length steel joists in because of the wheels. If anything these chassis are beefy!!!and very well built. I was very impressed with how much care went into building them for an assembly line product.
Attachment 83436

RVredneck 01-17-2015 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2382578)
RVredneck - If your frig is elevated about ten inches above floor - ask why.

There is nothing under it and only a little woodwork is necessary to create adequate return air opening. Bet a lot of DW's would be real happy if frig sat on floor. I plan on dropping ours this spring but wonder if there is a technical reason that I will regret.

Our 2015 has two hot water heater bypass systems! Why?

When you see your HWH installed look for a bypass setup at the HWH and if there is one it is redundant. We all can remove the excess plumbing and save a lot of water wasted waiting for pipes to clear out of the cold water.

Sure wish I had been there to see ours built. Tell us more. If they will let you - take LOTS of pictures. Good to know in the future what is behind panels, under sinks, where studs and wall braces are.

Unfortunately the walls were on already so I couldn't get in to see all this. I tryed to find another KT with no walls up but mine was only one in the line that close to done. I am supposed to get ALL the CAD drawings for the moho. That will be awesome
Attachment 83437