iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

ctpres 04-13-2015 04:34 PM

Challenger factory service visit 5/18/15

Two major items and twenty "fix me if you can please" items. One (basically a shower rebuild) is fixable and the other (buckled floor down center) is going to be a real "B" if I am right. This is our second RV to use Thor brand of factory service. First visit was impressive and they were in transition phase for Damon then. Expect this trip to be even more impressive. Will be there 5/18 thru ? Will report here when done. Advice for others scheduling factory service. Get ALL items on the initial list. Once they confirm apt. and your list you can NOT add anything. No complaint about that as I understand the scheduling problems of last minute "oh by the way" my gizmo is broken.
Now to find out how much of NE USA we can see between now and then.

bigben 04-13-2015 08:17 PM

Challenger 37TB Sewer Hose

Picking up our new Challenger 37TB April 16. Read and reread a lot of the post in this thread. Need some help with storing extra links of sewer connection hose. In my current Class A, I mounted a PVC fence post under the coach but acceptable alongside the LP tank. Don't think I am going to have that option on the 37TB. Any suggestions?

mikensallyt 04-15-2015 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1458074)
Mine too. I stopped by to put tennis balls under the wipers so the snow wouldn't settle on the arms and put all that weight on them. Good thing because when I got there they were already holding up a lot of snow and there was more ready to slide off the front cap.

Sorry but for me living down in south Texas ... all I want to say is Brrrrrrr! I never knew snow could cause so many/such problems. Dang that's cold. We have to guard about the heat and humidity which can really wear out a lot of items. I think our only problem is driving out of Texas, it takes FOREVER. Go ahead and pass me fools, lol. Now that spring, summer and fall are here we'll get up to your neck of the woods. /Mikey :whistling:

bigben 04-15-2015 04:17 PM

First Walk Thru

We are at our dealers doing are first walk thru. My wife was a bit hesitant about the upgrade to the Challenger 37TB. After we spent the afternoon going through the inside, she is beyond impressed. After the walk through and finding only some nip/tuck stuff - the DW is HAPPY.

Anyway's we will spend tomorrow transferring some of our system stuff (TPS, suppressor, Tailgater staff mount, rock guard, etc) and then on the road home. Thanks to all you folks for the info.

ctpres 04-17-2015 07:35 AM

Something you need to check

Having windshield wiper problem on our KT and while under hood looking at things I discovered washer hose laying on moving parts and hose already cut. Just a little more rain and it would be leaking.

bigben 04-18-2015 06:51 AM

On the drive home

Wow - did a 2.5 day PDI picking up our new Challenger 3TB and drove our 200 mile trip home.

WOW again. We traded in our Georgetown Class A gasser and I had driven several thousand miles. WOW - driving home the Challenger was much quieter, rode very well and handling was incredible. After applying a few fixes I felt very comfortable driving our Georgetown but right out of the box the Challenger was a DREAM.

To be fair, the chassis is a 22,000 with 22.5 wheels and a 252" wheel base vs a 20,000 chassis, 19.5" wheels and a 228" wheel base. If these are the factors that make the difference - do the deal tomorrow to get one of these improved units. CRAZY good.

Thanks Thor!!

sbleiweiss 04-18-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2510379)
Two major items and twenty "fix me if you can please" items. One (basically a shower rebuild) is fixable and the other (buckled floor down center) is going to be a real "B" if I am right. This is our second RV to use Thor brand of factory service. First visit was impressive and they were in transition phase for Damon then. Expect this trip to be even more impressive. Will be there 5/18 thru ? Will report here when done. Advice for others scheduling factory service. Get ALL items on the initial list. Once they confirm apt. and your list you can NOT add anything. No complaint about that as I understand the scheduling problems of last minute "oh by the way" my gizmo is broken.
Now to find out how much of NE USA we can see between now and then.

What is your shower issue? We have a shower issue on our KT also. Some minor fixes improved the situation, but it really needs an entire rebuild too. What is wrong with yours? Ours leaked and the whole thing was installed on an angle that made the door not sit plumb in the opening.

ctpres 04-19-2015 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2516988)
What is your shower issue? We have a shower issue on our KT also. Some minor fixes improved the situation, but it really needs an entire rebuild too. What is wrong with yours? Ours leaked and the whole thing was installed on an angle that made the door not sit plumb in the opening.

Panel pulling away from wall, some leaking (almost fixed by me,) top edge of basin sagging resulting in a lot of standing water, no floor support around and in front of drain so floor and drain pipe flex excessively on entry/exit, door drags on latch side and if kitchen sink drains much at once ( I can make it do it by filling both side and removing stoppers) water backs up in shower. I understand there is a DIY fix for the door sag and the mfg has been very good about sending instructions and replacement vinyl splash shields.

cathor 04-19-2015 11:02 PM

We have same problem from first buyinh th 35Ht Challenger. Dealer fixed it twice (so they say) but it was the same after picking it up. Now at athirdr repair shop approved by Thor anf now Thor tells them they need to get in touch with the manufacturer before they are going to do anything. Will keep you posted.

sbleiweiss 04-20-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2518330)
Panel pulling away from wall, some leaking (almost fixed by me,) top edge of basin sagging resulting in a lot of standing water, no floor support around and in front of drain so floor and drain pipe flex excessively on entry/exit, door drags on latch side and if kitchen sink drains much at once ( I can make it do it by filling both side and removing stoppers) water backs up in shower. I understand there is a DIY fix for the door sag and the mfg has been very good about sending instructions and replacement vinyl splash shields.

You have much bigger problems than ours. But we do have the door sag issue. What is the DIY fix you refer to? Thanks.

ajfarmer 04-20-2015 09:20 AM

Access to Front Cap for Antenna

I'm looking to get access to the front cap where it meets the roof in order to install an antenna. The radio antenna is already there right in the middle of the cap. Do any of you have ideas how to get access to that area from the inside? With the drop down bed, there are no cabinets, only the soft ceiling.

ctpres 04-20-2015 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2520054)
You have much bigger problems than ours. But we do have the door sag issue. What is the DIY fix you refer to? Thanks.

I have not confirmed that this is same product as Thor but it reads and looks like a fix.

ctpres 04-20-2015 06:14 PM

Challenger windshield wiper problem

Recently had problem when R/passenger wiper rotated over 180 degrees and jambed under drivers side freezing it. Not fun on five mile five, percent grade downhill run with LOTS of 18 wheelers and on a curvy interstate road in heavy rain. I had no place to pull off safely so I just picked an 18 wheeler with lots of rear lights and followed the lights. For temp fix I removed passenger wiper arm and coated windshield with Rain x. Was able to drive for almost a full day of rain and only use the one wiper as needed - which was only a couple of times. Rain X is AWSOME, air flow over windshield was adequate to keep windshield clear. I am not the only one to have this problem. Is a recall in the works? I have already contacted Thor about the problem and just waiting on their response and hoping the rain will go away till we can get it fixed. This is our first serious Challenger problem. BTW Ford part of the Challenger has been just great. On the flats it is quieter than our old smaller and lighter Damon with Workhorse and seems to have more power when needed. Once you ask it to work hard it is pretty loud but I think some of that is due to it being relatively quiet just cruising along. Had read about shifting problems but don't see that as a problem so far as long as I keep a light foot on the gas and don't use cruise control.

ajfarmer 04-21-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajfarmer (Post 2520060)
I'm looking to get access to the front cap where it meets the roof in order to install an antenna. The radio antenna is already there right in the middle of the cap. Do any of you have ideas how to get access to that area from the inside? With the drop down bed, there are no cabinets, only the soft ceiling.

Following up to answer my own question in case it helps others. :thumb:
Put the loft bed down and climb up on it. On the left and right side wall at the front, there are black ABS trim covers close to the ceiling to semi-hide the cables that raise and lower the bed. You'll have to remove the netting to get to them. Remove that cover (4 screws) and you have access to the fiberglass cap above. You can also conveniently run your antenna cable down the very large and mostly empty pillar to the dash area. Hint: the entire dash cover also comes off easily with four screws, revealing all of the behind dash cabling including the radio cabling and duct work.

For what it's worth, I was installing a SiriusXM receiver antenna this time and found that I could just slip it in the gap between the ceiling and fiberglass cap (still inside the coach) and got full signal strength. This was after putting the antenna on a 3 x 3 inch piece of sheet metal as a ground plane. Without the sheet metal, it was half signal bars at best. If you are ever installing a SiriusXM antenna outside or inside, make sure it has a ground plane. It makes all the difference.

Hope this helps anyone that might want to do something similar.