iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Sanford 07-08-2015 06:12 AM

2016 Challenger

we are negotiating for a new Challenger at this time. Would love to hear from all regarding workmanship and quality with Thor MH. We are downsizing from a FR Charleston diesel pusher. How does the gas engine perform? Any other info appreciated. Concerned about CW maintenance and service after the sale. Reviews are not good for the CWs in our area.

tedgard01 07-08-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanford (Post 2639276)
we are negotiating for a new Challenger at this time. Would love to hear from all regarding workmanship and quality with Thor MH. We are downsizing from a FR Charleston diesel pusher. How does the gas engine perform? Any other info appreciated. Concerned about CW maintenance and service after the sale. Reviews are not good for the CWs in our area.

Comparisons depend on your previous DP. Your Ford V-10 will give you the performance of a 365 horse power engine. If you are comparing it to a 450+ DP, with air suspension and air breaks, expect to be underwhelmed. But it should be comparable to a 350 horse power DP.

I think it will take some getting used to the drive. That Ford V-10 is a good engine, the engine/transition will take a bit of a learning curve. I'd suggest, especially if you will have a toad, that you need to get used to using the Tow/Pull button. This will result in better shifting action when using the cruse control. If you don't use cruse that much, then it is fun learning to finesse the shifting by watching the RPM's in relation to the gas peddle on hills.

Most people find the Ford chassis to be a good ride, but they also think the breaking is a bit on the weak side. Again, especially when pulling a toad, using the Tow/Pull button will be a real plus when going on down a grade, due to the fact that the Grade Brake will automatically kick in and keep your speed in check. It is also very helpful (and safer) when you have to break quicker, the Grade Break helps you stop quicker.

Anyway, there is a lot to enjoy in the floor plan and under storage capacity as well. It is a great coach, but definitely not comparable to a large luxurious DP buss.

Have fun.

Ted

sbleiweiss 07-09-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Thor is known for giving the many featurs of a more expensive MH for less money. They also produce some of the best floor plans available. We have never owned another brand, so I really don't know how to compare, but it seems that Thor accomplishes what they do by cutting corners in quality control. Again, I am guessing that some of the other companies are better about this, but I don't know it for sure. Thor is pretty good about fixing the issues in warranty after purchase, although a longer warranty period would be nice.

sbleiweiss 07-09-2015 09:26 AM

Update on our wiper problem

Thor sent us a complete new wiper assembly, free of charge, as a good will gesture. We are past warranty. However, they wouldn't pay for the install and they denied that this is something they have a known problem with. On this forum we know better than that.

Anyway, it was relatively easy to replace. I am not that mechanical so I had an auto mechanic do it. It took him about two hours. He said that it looked like the manufacturer had made some improvements to the assembly since the one that crapped out for us, so we are hopeful that this issue will not reoccur.

The problem seemed to be with the linkage bar (the bar that holds the whole assembly together and connects the two arms). It was bent at both ends. Still not sure why a simple windy rainstorm would have caused this much stress on the system.

LyonsL 07-09-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Sanford, it was nice meeting you & the DW while staying on Emerald Isle. I believe you will be happy with the Challenger if you buy it. You can take it to any dealer or repair facility that services Thor products so you don't have to return to the CW if you buy it there. Check the Thor website for Thor Challenger Dealers to purchase a new Challenger: RV Dealers Thor Motor Coach
There's one in Virginia that is closer to you than the CW in Myrtle Beach.

LyonsL 07-09-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2641106)
Update on our wiper problem

Thor sent us a complete new wiper assembly, free of charge, as a good will gesture. We are past warranty. However, they wouldn't pay for the install and they denied that this is something they have a known problem with. On this forum we know better than that.

Anyway, it was relatively easy to replace. I am not that mechanical so I had an auto mechanic do it. It took him about two hours. He said that it looked like the manufacturer had made some improvements to the assembly since the one that crapped out for us, so we are hopeful that this issue will not reoccur.

The problem seemed to be with the linkage bar (the bar that holds the whole assembly together and connects the two arms). It was bent at both ends. Still not sure why a simple windy rainstorm would have caused this much stress on the system.

sbleiweiss, would you be able to post a photo of the bad part? I'd like to compare it to the one on my coach to see if I have the bad one or possibly a newer version.

sbleiweiss 07-10-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2641425)
sbleiweiss, would you be able to post a photo of the bad part? I'd like to compare it to the one on my coach to see if I have the bad one or possibly a newer version.

New one doesn't look much different from old. I don't think a picture would capture the minor differences the mechanic pointed out. Frankly, even when he pointed to a couple of things he said had been beefed up, I couldn't see the difference he was talking about. I believe him, but a picture wouldn't show you anything. Ours was on a 2014 1/2, purchased new in December, 2013, if that helps.

ctpres 07-10-2015 03:08 PM

More mod's fixes and Upgrades

1 Attachment(s)
#64 Finally getting around to working on conversion of the remaing incandesant interior lights to LED. For the reading lights over dash, couch and head of bed. I picked white light for reading and found pretty cheap ones on Ebay. Look for "1156 Ba15s Bright White 22 3020-SMD LED." Under $1.10 each in quantity of ten on Ebay. End fired (all LEDs on the end so no light/power is wasted in the metal housing,) one watt, 130 LM and 7000K. Installing these can be a bit difficult and probably best if done by someone with VERY small fingers. Now if I can just find suitable replacements for the ones over the table.

LyonsL 07-10-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2642724)
New one doesn't look much different from old. I don't think a picture would capture the minor differences the mechanic pointed out. Frankly, even when he pointed to a couple of things he said had been beefed up, I couldn't see the difference he was talking about. I believe him, but a picture wouldn't show you anything. Ours was on a 2014 1/2, purchased new in December, 2013, if that helps.

Thanks anyway. Ours was built May/June/July of 2014. Only have 5000 miles on it and have driven in driving rain several times and fortunately no sign of any problems yet.

sbleiweiss 07-11-2015 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2643213)
Thanks anyway. Ours was built May/June/July of 2014. Only have 5000 miles on it and have driven in driving rain several times and fortunately no sign of any problems yet.

Good luck! Ours had 17,000 miles and we too had been in several driving rains without incident before this happened. Why it happened and why it happened when it did is somewhat of a mystery to us. But hopefully they beefed up before yours was built. Good camping!

sbleiweiss 07-13-2015 07:28 AM

New Question - there are two wires near the lower corner of the screen door on the inside of the stair well. they go into a raised ridge on the wall that mates with a similar raised ridge on the screen door. It almost looks like the way alarm systems arm a sliding window or door, but of course I know the door doesn't have an alarm. Does anyone know what these wires and raised ridges are?

ctpres 07-13-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2647066)
New Question - there are two wires near the lower corner of the screen door on the inside of the stair well. they go into a raised ridge on the wall that mates with a similar raised ridge on the screen door. It almost looks like the way alarm systems arm a sliding window or door, but of course I know the door doesn't have an alarm. Does anyone know what these wires and raised ridges are?

That is a magnetic contact that tells step controller to extend or retract the steps whenever door opens or closes. See More Mod's #62 and #57
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2633940

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2506012

If wires go under door trim it needs to be fixed to prevent future problems

rvbunz 07-14-2015 02:14 AM

ctpres, you beat me to the punch. That's correct t s for the stair operaton

sbleiweiss 07-14-2015 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2647511)
That is a magnetic contact that tells step controller to extend or retract the steps whenever door opens or closes. See More Mod's #62 and #57
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2633940

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2506012

If wires go under door trim it needs to be fixed to prevent future problems

Oh, now I get it. I didn't put two and two together although I remember your wire under door story. thanks.