iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

john109 03-10-2013 12:21 PM

I guess I will get the cross fires ordered. To me having one servicing point for two tires one of which is buried. Is a great thing, and myself and the UPS guy are on a first name basis now. Ever since I got the RV I am getting at least one to two deliveries per week.

Don thanks for the install info. and Jim I say pull it out of the body shop and roll on some camo paint colors that way no one will be able to find you in the woods.

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1491134)
Too funny, Don. I took the exact same approach. I've been calling Joanne, my service rep, every Friday. She's such a nice girl and I've been charming her socks off from day one. That will only get you so far. At some point though, it just gets ridiculous. It's been at the dealer since the first week in January and we agreed on a March 1st completion date. Now, it's stuck in the black hole of a paint shop. Having worked in auto-body before, paint shops are notorious for not completing on time. All the stuff ordered from Thor is supposed to be in their shop and ready to go. We'll see......

You're most definitely in a different situation than I am with the repaint. That always scares me but its' getting done by the same shop that does it all day long.

Best of luck and I hope they make you really happy!

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1491133)
I guess I am gun shy now but I never drink the water through RV/boat/airplane plumming. We use it for showers and cooking we use bottle water for drinking. just my .02 cents. Or drink beer instead

Although I don't drink the water I have an ice maker and when I shower it gets into your system like it or not so I sanitize my entire water system including the hoses I carry to get it to the MH.I link all of my hoses together and elevate both ends. I pour a 1/2 a cup of bleach into it and hook them to a water supply then fill them just until water starts to come out. I let that sit while I do other stuff then I fill the holding tank and get water flowing from every point including the low point valves and drain valve. Once the tank is full, it sits for a few hours. Then I start flushing from every point. I also fill the tank and flush from the city water hookup without the filter when I'm at the house and use the chlorine that's in my city water to do it's job.

Once I'm done I have no issues at all with drinking out of my system.

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1491133)
Those cross fires are a slick setup. Don I know we have already discussed it but you feel 85'psi's are the way to go. I tow the wifes jeep probably 50% of the time. The rest of the time we are just out for 2 or 3 days and don't bother taking the jeep. I guess 85 is a good round number especially after reading the Michelin Tire Charts.

The tires on our Challengers are over rated comparing your weights and the Michelin guide to proper inflation. Using your weights, 85 psi gives me room to tow and to carry water. I'll only be running 70 in front just as I had for 30,000 miles on my Outlaw. Unless I see wear indicating I'm under inflated, I'll leave it at that.

Also not that this is a cold pressure. When I was running tire pressure sensors I would see 110 on a hot day on the sunny side of the MH

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronk (Post 1491145)
Great hearing back from you guys. As I said previously, there is a great deal of information and knowledge to be shared on this forum,particularly as it pertains to the Challenger. I just dewinterized mine (today's temps. in the 60's to get ready for the trip to Gulf Shores, AL (about 625 miles from our home in E-town, KY. We usually make it a one stopover on the way down and back. I just don't like to rush it anymore. And I really dislike driving through Nashville, especially at rush hour on I-65. We belong to the
Ecapees RV Club. If you are not familiar with it or would like more info., e-mail or call 270-769-9313, and I would be more than happy to fill you in.
We have belonged for almost 20 years and really enjoy the people and the campgrounds (that is where we stay in AL). The campground,Rainbow Plantation, is about 10 or so miles from the beaches, but the price is right, and the traffic is not so bad this time of year. We will be leaving for Maine sometime in June. I really need to go to Elkhart and have the large slideout looked at. It seems to be "catching" on something on it initial release to the extend position. I'm sure it is just an adjustment, but I would rather the factory look at it than a local dealer here in KY.

All the best to you guys at you get your rigs ready to roll for the upcoming season!

Bronk

We enjoy the Gulf as well. We're booked on Dauphin Island on the end of December. Have a great trip!

We're heading north as well but in July to spend the 4th in Boston..

My slides may a horrible squeaking noise when I drive and I'm hoping they'll be able to do something about it next week when I bring it back. If not, I might be making a trip to Elkhart as well.

I'm glad you're getting something positive out of this thread. Gathering all of the common Challenger owners in one place really adds to the brain trust.

bdickson 03-10-2013 07:48 PM

When I press the brake pedal (ignition off) on my Challenger, I hear a whirring noise like a pump or electric motor. The walk through guy said that the 22,000# chassis has "electric brakes". What's this about? I did not get the noise on my 16,000# ACE.

DGShaffer 03-10-2013 07:52 PM

That's some sort of an electro-mechanical brake assist. I first noticed it on my Damon Outlaw Class A MH. It was odd to me at first but eventually you consider it normal

john109 03-11-2013 05:35 AM

Bruce
Don is right it is a an electo/ mechanical sytem. If you google electro-mechanical brake assist and select the one that says "brake by wire" it will explain it better than I can.

jeffmiller 03-11-2013 04:09 PM

Don, did you have to mod the mounting bracket for the crossfires to clear the center covers?

DGShaffer 03-11-2013 05:51 PM

I didn't use the supplied brackets. I went straight through the side of the Hub cover with the bolt into the side of the crossfire unit. One way or another the hub cover needs to be modified, this way it's just a single hole.

bdickson 03-11-2013 07:49 PM

My drivers side mirror came loose today while driving on I-20. Got to a rest area ok without anything falling off. The set screw that locks the mirror assembly to the top of the arm had come loose. Problem is there is not enough clearance to get a hex key in there to tighten the screw. It looks like I would have to grind down a 3/16 hex key to about a quarter inch on the right angle to be able to fit in the gap. Anyone else tried to adjust these Velvac mirrors?

DGShaffer 03-11-2013 07:57 PM

I adjusted mine just the other day. A standard Hex key fit right in as it should have. I'm wondering if something happened from the vibration after it came loose?

bdickson 03-11-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1492912)
I adjusted mine just the other day. A standard Hex key fit right in as it should have. I'm wondering if something happened from the vibration after it came loose?

My mirrors have cameras built in. The camera is lined up with the set screw and it is the shape of the plastic shroud behind the camera that prevents the key from going in.

camaromance 03-11-2013 08:21 PM

Bruce, it sounds like your mirror swing arm is adjusted too far in one direction. Try loosening the swing arm and rotating the assembly until you can get to the set screw on the mirror. Once tightening the set screw on the mirror, have the wife adjust the swing arm angle until its in the right position. I had the same problem with mine and I ended up having the swing arm more forward and out on the drivers side. Be careful pulling into toll booths afterward.