iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

ctpres 10-04-2015 08:01 AM

My Thor support experiance

Cable broke on big slide. Called support and was talking to a tech in minutes. Explained problem and he proceeded to tell me how to locate and unhook controller and with two people push slide in!!!! Realized he was talking about Schwintech slide. Once more it is a cable slide. He starts talking about hydraulic slides. Once more - this is a cable slide. OK you can call a mobile RV tech and if he can fix it in one hour - Thor will pay. Explained that just getting wood trim off without damage is over an hour. At this point I should have asked to speak to a different tech - in frustration I just gave up and told him I would handle it. Maybe I should not have called on Friday?

Thor 37GT 10-04-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2768075)
Thor 37GT - question about seat height on your new couch. Did you do anything to compensate for slide floor height. Our slide floor is 4 inches above main floor. Everything I have looked at raises level of seat so high that entry exit seems like it would be a problem. BTW looks great and is exactly what I want to do.

This is the one thing I never thought of, but it has also not been a problem. I am 6'3 and the DW is 5'1 and we haven't had a problem with it. You could take some blocks and put them under a chair to see if it will work for you. I measured the couch and the seat is 24" above the floor of the rv. Hope this helps we really like our couch over the stock it is a night and day type of thing.

sbleiweiss 10-05-2015 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2770290)
Cable broke on big slide. Called support and was talking to a tech in minutes. Explained problem and he proceeded to tell me how to locate and unhook controller and with two people push slide in!!!! Realized he was talking about Schwintech slide. Once more it is a cable slide. He starts talking about hydraulic slides. Once more - this is a cable slide. OK you can call a mobile RV tech and if he can fix it in one hour - Thor will pay. Explained that just getting wood trim off without damage is over an hour. At this point I should have asked to speak to a different tech - in frustration I just gave up and told him I would handle it. Maybe I should not have called on Friday?

I have gotten good techs and bad, both on the phone and at the service center. Thor's quality control in hiring techs is the same as it is in turning out new product, inconsistent. I would love to know if other MH companies do better or just the same.

LyonsL 10-05-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor 37GT (Post 2770412)
This is the one thing I never thought of, but it has also not been a problem. I am 6'3 and the DW is 5'1 and we haven't had a problem with it. You could take some blocks and put them under a chair to see if it will work for you. I measured the couch and the seat is 24" above the floor of the rv. Hope this helps we really like our couch over the stock it is a night and day type of thing.

Thanks for the photos and information. This is the next item on my to do list!

LyonsL 10-05-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2770290)

Be very careful removing the trim. It's not wood but compressed cardboard. I reinstalled the larger, wider sections with screws and used an electric brad nailer for the smaller trim pieces.

bigdaddy5120 10-10-2015 10:55 AM

FYI for the Atwood hot water heater. I lost the hot water heater today for electric and gas . I done some searching online and found this youtube video and it is a thermal fuse out on the water heater . I replaced the thermal inline fuse and this solved the problem. I hope this will help someone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u29Sl9j0TM4

Sanford 10-10-2015 01:34 PM

Got the new unit Tuesday. Pleased so far. However, unit did not arrive as viewed on Thor's site. Some changes better, others not to my liking. They were minor, and no "deal breakers", but surprising. If I had a do over, I would have gone to the plant early on. Just a word to the wise.

sbleiweiss 10-11-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanford (Post 2778532)
Got the new unit Tuesday. Pleased so far. However, unit did not arrive as viewed on Thor's site. Some changes better, others not to my liking. They were minor, and no "deal breakers", but surprising. If I had a do over, I would have gone to the plant early on. Just a word to the wise.

What did you get? What did Thor change?

sbleiweiss 10-12-2015 11:32 AM

Cable Slides - I know many have had cables break. Thankfully I am not yet one of those. But today I did notice one of the four cables (front lower) was visibly slack, not fairly tight like the others. should I be concerned or do something? Thanks.

bigdaddy5120 10-12-2015 11:33 AM

I am tired of the black streaks (I wash the roof twice a year) and AC water running down the side of the challenger. Has anyone installed gutters and drip extensions on the challenger ? If so what did you use ? I found the EZE gutters but it looks like they go around windows . I want something to go the whole length of the motor Home . I need something in Black .

Thanks
Bigdaddy51200

ctpres 10-12-2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2780984)
Cable Slides - I know many have had cables break. Thankfully I am not yet one of those. But today I did notice one of the four cables (front lower) was visibly slack, not fairly tight like the others. should I be concerned or do something? Thanks.

From install man.
When the room is seated full out, the OUTSIDE cables should be slack enough to move the cable
approximately ” up or down (1” total movement) by hand. The holding power is actually on the
INSIDE cables pulling the standoff brackets tight against the frame.

When the room is seated full in, the INSIDE cables should be slack enough to move the cable
approximately ” up or down (1” total movement) by hand. The holding power is now on the
OUTSIDE cables pulling the standoff brackets tight against the frame

I am convinced if we keep an eye on cables we can avoid total cable failure. Should you do something - IMO yes and do it before cable breaks.

ctpres 10-12-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2780985)
I am tired of the black streaks (I wash the roof twice a year) and AC water running down the side of the challenger. Has anyone installed gutters and drip extensions on the challenger ? If so what did you use ? I found the EZE gutters but it looks like they go around windows . I want something to go the whole length of the motor Home . I need something in Black .

Thanks
Bigdaddy51200

See post 1778 6/29/15https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2626628

bigdaddy5120 10-12-2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2781019)

Thanks, But that only works for the AC run off , I also want to take of rain water to. I am tired of cleaning the black streaks caused from the rubber roof . I think I am going to look at the EZE gutter.

LyonsL 10-12-2015 04:33 PM

Outer Trim on Slide

1 Attachment(s)
Just when you think everything is fixed... I washed the coach and noticed a piece of the outer trim on the large slide was starting to separate from the slide.

This has never happened to me before and I'm not sure what caused it. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I believe the trim is attached to the slide with 3M tape. Can anyone verify that for me? I have to repair this before our trip south in 4 weeks.