iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

LyonsL 12-18-2015 07:56 AM

"Wow! A beautiful 2016!"

Congrats on your new 37KT! Hopefully all will go well for you. Use it as much as possible the first year and have as much repaired as possible under warranty. After that, do as many repairs as you can yourself and you'll be able to avoid the repair shops.

PattyP 12-19-2015 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2866222)
"Wow! A beautiful 2016!"

Congrats on your new 37KT! Hopefully all will go well for you. Use it as much as possible the first year and have as much repaired as possible under warranty. After that, do as many repairs as you can yourself and you'll be able to avoid the repair shops.

Well we were at Camping World all day long and came home without it. I used the check off list on here during our long walk through and I noticed that fridge/freezer was not getting cold. After hours still not cold! So they ordered us a new one. It will be installed tomorrow. Also 2 extra dining table chairs were missing, they were under the bed a few weeks ago. Someone took them, so they are ordering them. We bought extended warranty since it is used 1 year old, it was sold as is.

sbleiweiss 12-19-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 2866066)
What problems are you having with the new KT? We are picking up our 2015 KT today. It's used with 8,000 miles on it. I'm praying it all goes well. Our last 2 RV's have leaked, one used and one new.

Good luck with it. On our 2014.5 KT purchased new the biggest problem was a suspension problem that blew through the front right tire within 15,000 miles. Ford was good about fixing it (I hope it is fixed at least). Started seeing flat spots all over the tire and got so bad we were stranded in Wyoming. Lucky to find a tire close enough to our size to limp home on. Still not sure to this day what caused it, but things that were done included greasing dry king pins, shimming king pins and an alignment and balance test.

As far as Thor issues, the factory failed to install a filter on the line to our water pump. The shower door does not fit right. One cabinet hinge has pulled out of the wood. Two roller shades have fallen off the wall. The heater element in the fireplace has needed replacing. The circuit board in the tank sensor thing on the wall needed replacing. Heat shield came loose over the exhaust pipe. One vent on roof came loose. Our roof TV antenna just broke on this trip west. And I'm probably forgetting something.

I've said this before here, it seems like a lot to go wrong if the factory had good QC. But in reading other forums it seems like the other manufacturers do the same sloppy work. So I blame the whole industry, not just Thor.

I hope yours in perfect, and keep it between the ditches.

PattyP 12-20-2015 04:27 AM

We got it home late yesterday afternoon and bolt on electric steps fell out on my driveway first time we put the steps out. Now steps won't go back in and stay in. I called our salesman who is super sweet and he is going to send someone out to fix it. They did give us a gift card to CW store for our inconvenience with the fridge.

KC 12-20-2015 11:18 AM

Having a good dealer is so important with any RV. With any RV manufacture you are going to have issues. MH is a home on wheels driving down our not so great roads/bridges. Things are going to break. Our Fridge broke on our maiden trip. They while it was being repaired we lost our deposit on the next weekend trip and our dealer gave us that money back.

KC

ctpres 12-21-2015 07:47 AM

The resume tap WOW!

If you missed reading about the cruise control "double tap" here is my take.
IT WORKS. What normally happens - your on CC and there is a steep overpass or hill coming up that you know will cause tranny to down shift, lockup the torque converter resulting the "scream" so you touch the CC off button or touch brakes to disable CC and foot your way over the top. Then go thru process of resetting CC to the desired speed. How the Tap Tap works. Same grade and time to disable CC - touch/tap RESUME one time and CC is asleep but not off. Near top touch/tap RESUME again and CC resume function will bring you back to speed. It is reported that not all Fords will respond so test yours. If it works you will use CC a lot more.

tedgard01 12-21-2015 05:23 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2869448)
If you missed reading about the cruise control "double tap" here is my take.

IT WORKS. What normally happens - your on CC and there is a steep overpass or hill coming up that you know will cause tranny to down shift, lockup the torque converter resulting the "scream" so you touch the CC off button or touch brakes to disable CC and foot your way over the top. Then go thru process of resetting CC to the desired speed. How the Tap Tap works. Same grade and time to disable CC - touch/tap RESUME one time and CC is asleep but not off. Near top touch/tap RESUME again and CC resume function will bring you back to speed. It is reported that not all Fords will respond so test yours. If it works you will use CC a lot more.

Yep, I do this all the time. It works great. I also use the Tow/Haul button along with CC. When you have the Tow/Haul button engaged the grade brake is also engaged. This makes several changes to the shifting program that I like;

1) The down shifting is retarded, and you can go up a lot of low grade hills without the constant down shifting that you would have experienced in the past. It seems to peak at around 3K RPM's for me. Therefore, I know when that may occur and simply push the Resume button to take control and prevent the downshift.
2) The grade break kicks in when on CC and you crest the hill and start packing up speed on a grade. Most of the time it will keep you at the speed you have set on CC. You will see a marked difference then when using CC only, you will find that with CC only, when going down hill you will far exceed the set speed, and you will need to use your breaks.
3) When coming to a stop, with the Tow/Haul button engaged, when you do a quick step on the break and release, it engages the grade break and will assist your stopping. This is really great when having to come to a quicker stop (or slow down) than you anticipated. One example is when a light changes and you are too close, a quick step on the break will engage the grade brake, then remains engaged as you push the break, assisting in a quicker and more controlled stop. I will sometimes even do a couple of quick break peddle pushes and releases, to make the grade break shift down even further, and assisting even more.

You may want to play with this technique in good road conditions to try it out and get familiar with it before needing it in an emergency stop.

Safe travels!

Ted

tedgard01 12-21-2015 05:35 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Let me know if I can answer any questions in regard to using the Tow/Haul button in combination with the CC.

bigdaddy5120 12-23-2015 10:51 AM

Has anybody changed the driver/passenger windows from the noisy single pane to the dual pane version on a 2014 ? Do you get these from THOR or a Vendor ?

PattyP 12-24-2015 05:09 AM

CW replaced our steps at no charge, since they broke the 1st day we got the RV. The 2015 steps that we had were discontinued and no parts available. My husband driving to and from CW yesterday says there is too much sway driving down the road. I tried walking in it and I was bumping into stuff. We had a class B and a class C before, and it wasn't this bad. Do all Class A feel like this? Or just ours?

ChallengerRN 12-24-2015 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 2873245)
CW replaced our steps at no charge, since they broke the 1st day we got the RV. The 2015 steps that we had were discontinued and no parts available. My husband driving to and from CW yesterday says there is too much sway driving down the road. I tried walking in it and I was bumping into stuff. We had a class B and a class C before, and it wasn't this bad. Do all Class A feel like this? Or just ours?

Not sure if your coach is new or new to you? Didn't see a year in your profile. The swaying is not something that is in all Class A.

In traffic around large trucks on an interstate you will probably notice some movement. My first suggestion would be to check the air pressure in your tires. A maximum tire pressure will many times give you a darting or swaying issue.

Russell

bigdaddy5120 12-24-2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 2873245)

Mine was also pretty bad until I completed the cheap handling fix it is 100 times better now , you find out out more information here : https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

sbleiweiss 12-24-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2872293)
Has anybody changed the driver/passenger windows from the noisy single pane to the dual pane version on a 2014 ? Do you get these from THOR or a Vendor ?

My 2014.5 came with the double pane windows. My earlier 2013 didn't. I can tell you it is a huge improvement in wind noise. Sorry I don't know the answer to the question you asked though. Good idea trying to change them out.

PattyP 12-25-2015 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2873251)
Not sure if your coach is new or new to you? Didn't see a year in your profile. The swaying is not something that is in all Class A.

In traffic around large trucks on an interstate you will probably notice some movement. My first suggestion would be to check the air pressure in your tires. A maximum tire pressure will many times give you a darting or swaying issue.

Russell

Ours is a 2015 and it was used and had 8000 miles on it. Previous owners took good care of it.