iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

camaromance 03-11-2013 08:41 PM

Don, finally got a chance to watch your video. I see what you mean. I heard you drag on a couple of turns. That place looks awesome.

john109 03-12-2013 04:29 AM

Don are your cameras built into the mirror? I believe mine are on the side of the rv about 18" below the mirror. I wonder if the KT/GT is different from the DT. Either way I will check the mirrors later today. If vibration is going to be an issue maybe a drop of lock tite might help..Thanks guys for the heads up.

DGShaffer 03-12-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1492919)
My mirrors have cameras built in. The camera is lined up with the set screw and it is the shape of the plastic shroud behind the camera that prevents the key from going in.

I also have the mirror mounted cameras but have open access to the set screw on the back (foreword facing) side of the mirror arm

john109 03-12-2013 04:37 AM

I got to look closer on mine I thought my cameras were mounted elsewhere. But I do got an antique its a 2012.

DGShaffer 03-12-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1492986)
Don, finally got a chance to watch your video. I see what you mean. I heard you drag on a couple of turns. That place looks awesome.

I first went there in 04 for a gathering of BMW riders. I enjoy riding the Smokeys so much that I try to go back at least once a year. That is just one road in a long list of roads that go through that part of Tennessee, North and South Carolina and Georgia, That one in particular is different no only because of the the way it's laid out but because there is just one way in and one way out and there are no homes or businesses on it. killboy.com photos - The Original Photographer from US129 Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap has a bunch of photos of the road and also the guy that took the photos I posted

bdickson 03-12-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1493276)

I also have the mirror mounted cameras but have open access to the set screw on the back (foreword facing) side of the mirror arm

Well, I've got the mirror locked down in a position that works and doesn't stick out too far. I ground down a hex key to fit, so I now have a custom mirror adjustment tool.

So next topic:just filled up after a long day on I10 & I20. Gas mileage for 425 miles was 7.08. I was towing a Honda CRV. How does this compare to others experiences?

bdickson 03-12-2013 09:09 PM

Well cr*p. drivers side slide would not extend when we set up at campground tonight. It goes out about 6 inches then the front end stops and the back end tries to keep going, and the slide starts twisting. It was already 7pm Elkhart time, but I called Thor anyway. Imagine my surprise when I got through to a technician. He talked me through a few things, and we concluded that something has got jammed in one of the rollers. I did pick one piece of wood trim scrap from under the slide so the theory seems reasonable. He is going to call the closest dealer in the morning and get us checked in. Gotta say I'm impressed with Thor warranty service so far.

DGShaffer 03-13-2013 04:32 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the slide issue. I met another Challenger owner last night. One of his issues is that the drivers side slide makes a loud squeaking noise when the motor home in being driven. I told him that that was my number one issue on my list of fix's when I bring mine in next week.

I thought it was an isolated issue but now I have to ask. Is anyone else here putting up with a squeaking slide?

john109 03-13-2013 04:41 AM

Bruce I had a similar issue only it was my kitchen slide I ended up finding 3 broken wires going to my forward slide motors. Have the technician check for power at your aft motor. Or at least listen to see if its trying to drive if you don't hear it trying to drive check the harness between the forward and aft motors if is found to be good you probably have a bad motor. these slides are not that complicated. If you go to you tube they have some good videos from the company that makes them. ( i forget there name but you can find it in your manual). In my case when the factory routed my harness going from one motor to another it was to tight and after a few operations the harness broke. I ended up soldering and heat shrinking the harness and have used the slide many times since. Good luck John

bdickson 03-13-2013 09:42 PM

Sitting in a campground next to Camping World in Albuquerque with a warranty service booking for the jammed slide tomorrow morning.

bdickson 03-13-2013 09:59 PM

Ok, here's a question. Our Challenger has an 1800 watt inverter. This seems to be a recent change from the 600 in the Thor specs. What would be the feasibility of powering the fridge outlets from the inverter? As it stands, the fridge switches to gas when we are not on shore power. Just thinking it would be safer not having an open flame even though it's a Dometic and not a Norcold.

DGShaffer 03-14-2013 04:38 AM

You would need to look at the manual to gauge the power draw of the unit to see how long it would run before having to start the generator.

I let mine run on propane for one to two days before I leave for a trip. When I get to it, I can load the refrigerator immediately.

Good luck getting the slide issue taken care of. Mine squeaks like mad so I'm hoping they'll be able to silence it this coming week.

bdickson 03-14-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1495589)
You would need to look at the manual to gauge the power draw of the unit to see how long it would run before having to start the generator.

I let mine run on propane for one to two days before I leave for a trip. When I get to it, I can load the refrigerator immediately.

Good luck getting the slide issue taken care of. Mine squeaks like mad so I'm hoping they'll be able to silence it this coming week.

We don't boondock, so the house batteries are either charging from the converter when on shore power or the alternator when driving. However, if I do move the fridge to inverter power, I'd probAbly get a generator auto start installed.

bdickson 03-14-2013 04:59 PM

Slide update: the jamming was caused by some screws in the vertical frame loosening and catching the slide wall. Easy fix. However, the technician also noticed (as I had also done) that the slide goes bump-bump-bump on the way out and in. He told me this is happening because the rollers under the slide are not aligned properly with the metal rubbing plates on the floor. The bumping is the rollers running over the screw heads. Thor are overnighting a set of new, wider plates which will be installed tomorrow. The slide will have to be removed to do this, so it's an all day job. The tech did comment that if this is left uncorrected it will wear out the rollers eventually. Anyone who has a slide with the Schwintek mechanism (gear tracks at each end of the slide) should get it checked if it bumps going in and out.