iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

sbleiweiss 01-22-2016 07:32 AM

Update on bathroom fan issue

It turns out the motor was dying. Replacement motors are widely available, but Ventline has changed the sizing recently so you have to be careful to get the size of motor you have and need. You also have to make sure you get one with either a round or D-shaped shaft (whichever you have) or you will have to buy a new fan blade too.

sbleiweiss 01-25-2016 03:28 PM

Changing bulbs in ceiling lights

I think all the Challengers have similar recessed ceiling lights throughout the motor home. I am talking about the ones that have white, frosted glass round plates that lie fairly flat against the ceiling. We have one that is flickering. I am guessing it is soon to burn out. We have some replacement bulbs. How do you take out the old bulb and put in the new? Thanks.

bdickson 01-25-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2914800)
I think all the Challengers have similar recessed ceiling lights throughout the motor home. I am talking about the ones that have white, frosted glass round plates that lie fairly flat against the ceiling. We have one that is flickering. I am guessing it is soon to burn out. We have some replacement bulbs. How do you take out the old bulb and put in the new? Thanks.

Shell, the frosted lens removes from the body with a quarter turn counter clockwise. Sometimes they are very stiff and you have to remove the entire assembly from the ceiling. They are held in place with two "mousetrap" springs. Pull the assembly straight down (considerable force may be required) until you can see the silvery wire springs. Now the important part: grip those springs VERY firmly as you remove the assembly, otherwise they will snap closed and take out fingers. Yes, the voice of experience talking! Once you have the unit out, grasp the body in one hand and twist the lens off.

I replaced all my halogen lamps with LED units and the difference in heat is amazing.

sbleiweiss 01-26-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2914882)
Shell, the frosted lens removes from the body with a quarter turn counter clockwise. Sometimes they are very stiff and you have to remove the entire assembly from the ceiling. They are held in place with two "mousetrap" springs. Pull the assembly straight down (considerable force may be required) until you can see the silvery wire springs. Now the important part: grip those springs VERY firmly as you remove the assembly, otherwise they will snap closed and take out fingers. Yes, the voice of experience talking! Once you have the unit out, grasp the body in one hand and twist the lens off.

I replaced all my halogen lamps with LED units and the difference in heat is amazing.

Thanks Bruce. My problem isn't removing the frosted glass cover; it is how to remove the bulb after the cover is off. Also, where to get replacement bulbs (halogen or LED). Do you know a part number for the bulb? where did you buy them? Thanks.

omarleys 01-26-2016 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the info on the Challenger. I,m in the progress of purchasing a 2016 37LX. It comes with the W/D option, but I am thinking about installing it myself. Has anyone taken on this project?

KC 01-26-2016 05:39 PM

Looking for anyone with a 2016 KT or other I would love to see a photo on how the driver and passenger side windows blinds are mounted.

Thanks KC

bdickson 01-29-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2915781)
Thanks Bruce. My problem isn't removing the frosted glass cover; it is how to remove the bulb after the cover is off. Also, where to get replacement bulbs (halogen or LED). Do you know a part number for the bulb? where did you buy them? Thanks.

Shell, the bulbs have 2 pins and should pull out sideways. I replaced them with these: Retrofit LED to replace G4 Double Pin Halogen They also make them in cool white.

ctpres 01-30-2016 05:57 AM

Cockpit side window shade/privacy system

Just announced, this may turn out to be a great replacement solution for the pleated shades. It won't cover the very front angled portion but then neither will the retrofitted version of MCD slider shade. This one looks like it will solve a number of problems.
United Shade, a Dicor affiliate, introduces patent-pending Impulse Shade System. | RV Travel

sbleiweiss 01-30-2016 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2920912)
Shell, the bulbs have 2 pins and should pull out sideways. I replaced them with these: Retrofit LED to replace G4 Double Pin Halogen They also make them in cool white.

Looks like our 14.5 already has LEDs. However, the bulbs are rectangular with 16 chips. It looks like they sit in or under a silver metal plate, which hides the view of any pins or other attachments. Yet it is not at all clear that you remove the silver plate for better access to the bulb. I think the bulb somehow slips into the plate. But without being able to see where the "pins" are or how many of them there are, it is very hard to see how to remove the bad bulb. Since ours isn't fully dead yet, I have not wanted to just push and pull and try to figure it out by experiment.

Anyone with a 14.5 or later who can weigh in? Thanks.

tedgard01 01-30-2016 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2921426)
Looks like our 14.5 already has LEDs. However, the bulbs are rectangular with 16 chips. It looks like they sit in or under a silver metal plate, which hides the view of any pins or other attachments. Yet it is not at all clear that you remove the silver plate for better access to the bulb. I think the bulb somehow slips into the plate. But without being able to see where the "pins" are or how many of them there are, it is very hard to see how to remove the bad bulb. Since ours isn't fully dead yet, I have not wanted to just push and pull and try to figure it out by experiment.

I can't offer any help, but I will be tracking for future use....

ctpres 01-30-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2921426)

I also looked at them and decided it might damage a working fixture to go any further. So far none of ours have any blinking segments. These are very thin fixtures and I suspect the LED board is held in place with doublestick tape and has a small inline plugin connector. If so it is a very common LED board.

KC 01-30-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2921201)
Just announced, this may turn out to be a great replacement solution for the pleated shades. It won't cover the very front angled portion but then neither will the retrofitted version of MCD slider shade. This one looks like it will solve a number of problems.
United Shade, a Dicor affiliate, introduces patent-pending Impulse Shade System. | RV Travel

Im not sure if it will work as the overhead bed comes into play.

KC

omarleys 01-30-2016 03:29 PM

Thanks for the Checklist. Just bought me a 2016 Challenger LX picking it up the 16th, and I will be using your list. What 2 Jackets?

sbleiweiss 01-31-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2921201)

Thanks Chuck, but the main gripe we have with the side pleated shades is that they don't allow you to have the window partly covered and the open part of the window (the rear end) not covered. We solved that problem by disconnecting the shade on the rear end of the window so that it can slide both ways forward from the rear and back from the front. Wouldn't want drop down shades for that reason.