iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Hoegee 01-31-2016 05:43 PM

2014 36FD Renovations

2 Attachment(s)
We figured it was time to start renovating our MH. Drove us mad trying to watch TV from the sofa turned sideways. What with mounting the TV above the driver. Moved the TV to a location above the entry door so you can look straight and see the TV. The biggest issue I discovered is that a good portion of the cabinet that I rebuilt is manufactured wood with a paper covering. The area above the dash now has a matching cabinet and the TV may or may not.

The next project is to remove the Dream Dinette and install cabinets and a pull out table. Cabinets were the easy part. Unfinished cabinet from HD and a table saw to cut them down. After our next trip out comes the dinette and in goes the new table. Only real hard part will be cutting the dog legs on the slide out at moving them out. If anyone has a pull out table I would be interested in knowing about the hardware used to support the table. I guess when this is finished it will be time to rework the bedroom cabinets so a real sized bed will fit. Our bad for not paying attention. To us a queen was a queen, wrong, and Denver seems to have cornered the market.

Happy Happy RVing

ctpres 01-31-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2922629)
Thanks Chuck, but the main gripe we have with the side pleated shades is that they don't allow you to have the window partly covered and the open part of the window (the rear end) not covered. We solved that problem by disconnecting the shade on the rear end of the window so that it can slide both ways forward from the rear and back from the front. Wouldn't want drop down shades for that reason.

You beat me to it. I am planning to put button snaps where the screws are.

sbleiweiss 02-01-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2923262)
You beat me to it. I am planning to put button snaps where the screws are.

We put a strip of velcro.

ctpres 02-03-2016 11:31 AM

More Mods Fixes and Upgrades

1 Attachment(s)
#90 DW mentioned that one end of awning was rolling funny. Couple minutes on ladder and found one of two end cap screws missing. Basically end cap tilted on end of awning tube which produced a wobble. I am sure continued use would have resulted in a really expensive problem - especially if it came apart on the road.. See part 16 in attached parts list for a better idea of how it fits together.

Thor 37GT 02-04-2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtm737 (Post 2906156)
Sorry 'bout the threaddrift but this seems to be the best way to ask the Thor Challenger Owners.

We own a 2013GT. I flat tow a Kia Soul behind it. Thinking I'm 16 instead of 61, I bought a lil Honda 250 to take with me. Any thoughts on the best way to do both? The Kia will not support the bike on back. Your thoughts?

I have a mightyhauler 1000m. I got lucky and found one on craigslist for 500.00. I haul a Kawasaki KLR on mine. Works great and have had no problems. I can tell you that you will need a small ramp to get from the ground to the hauler to load. The back of the MH is so high off the ground that the mightyhauler wont go that low.

camato5 02-05-2016 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor 37GT (Post 2928207)
I have a mightyhauler 1000m. I got lucky and found one on craigslist for 500.00. I haul a Kawasaki KLR on mine. Works great and have had no problems. I can tell you that you will need a small ramp to get from the ground to the hauler to load. The back of the MH is so high off the ground that the mightyhauler wont go that low.

Buy a trailer and use it when you want to haul both.

ctpres 02-11-2016 12:29 PM

RV Comfort thermostat manual

Found this excellent manual for our thermostat with A'cond troubleshooting guide.

https://www.cleggind.com/postal_tech/...376%5B1%5D.pdf

sbleiweiss 02-12-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2936777)
Found this excellent manual for our thermostat with A'cond troubleshooting guide.

https://www.cleggind.com/postal_tech/...376%5B1%5D.pdf

Have you had trouble with your thermostat Chuck?

ctpres 02-12-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2937788)
Have you had trouble with your thermostat Chuck?

Other than reading a couple degrees hi on both of them - no problems so far. I just like to build a digital library for everything in the coach. Upgrading them is on my list of things to do. Will change them out for closer temp reading and backlight for low light/night display reading. If I ever find a good one with fan speed switch t'sat project would move to top of list.

WyoFree 02-13-2016 05:15 AM

I've been looking at a number of Class A Gas motorhomes and keep coming back to the 2016 Challenger 37LX. I've not driven it yet but really like the floorpan and the amount of room.

I'd love to hear from anyone with a Challenger bath and a half or know this coach.

Thanks so much

P.S. I first posted this on the general Thor forum and the recommendation was made that I post it here.

bigben 02-13-2016 06:09 AM

We have a 2015 Challenger 37TB and love it. Some features that often aren't highlighted and they really should be:

1. 172 square foot of storage in the "basement". Once you start using it - you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

2. On board water storage. 100 gal fresh, 40/40 grey, 40/40 black. We dry camp for 2 or 3 months a year in Key West. We have a washer-dryer onboard and run a load every other day. DW takes a good hot shower everyday, we eat in a great deal (means considerable dish washing) and freely use water in general. We go 5 days between dumping and refreshing fresh water. Without all of this storage, we'd have to make concession on water usage. (Note: we only keep that much water on board when we're dry camping - no sense in hauling all the water with full hookups)

3. 252" wheel base with 22.5' wheels. When we are on 4 lane roads the sweet spot for running with cruise control on is 67 mph. Side winds have little or no effect with this combo.

4. Large number of circuits that can be powered by the 2000 watt inverter. When you're dry camping powering TVs, a satellite dish and receivers, and whatever else you want is a great feature. . Quiet time where we stay in Key West is 11 PM to 7 AM. If we want to watch the 11 PM news its a just routine for us. Run CPAP all night long without any issues. (Note: we upgraded to 4 house batteries)

You can look inside your coach and see most of the rest but these 4 above are features you just don't see. For us, not having them now is simply not an option. You will look long and hard in the gasser market and you will not find these 4. Some coaches do exist in DPs but very few in lower $ end range.

Hope this helps. Would we buy the Challenger again - YEP!!!

PattyP 02-14-2016 06:32 AM

We have the Challenger KT 2015, and we love it. Still trying to figure things out. How do you get speakers on outside to work? Do they go off of front radio or bedroom radio?

Capone 02-14-2016 06:51 AM

Ours go off the bedroom radio.

sbleiweiss 02-14-2016 08:33 AM

If I were looking to buy a 2016 MH on the Ford F53 chassis I'd make darn sure I got a 2016 chassis (you sometimes get last years chassis on this years MH). I hear Ford really improved the tranny on the 2016s. Haven't seen your floorplan, and don't have a bath and a half, but love our KT floorplan.