iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

KC 02-14-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capone (Post 2939877)
Ours go off the bedroom radio.

Our also works off of bedroom radio, not sure if it is A or B?

KC

janniemac 02-14-2016 09:08 PM

We purchased our 2016 challenger 37lx the day before Thanksgiving. There were some body scratches and after a 2 1/2 wait, it finally hit the body shop at CW in Longmont CO. We saw one last Oct when in Vegas and fell in love with it. Since no one in CO has them, we bought one from Oklahoma and they drove it out here. We hope to get in a couple of weeks and plan to take a 2 week venture the end of March. We have the 2016 chassis, so we are hoping it handles our mountains more efficiently. Sold our 2014 class C Thor Four Winds 31F after we saw this one.

tedgard01 02-15-2016 05:14 AM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by janniemac (Post 2941001)
We purchased our 2016 challenger 37lx the day before Thanksgiving. There were some body scratches and after a 2 1/2 wait, it finally hit the body shop at CW in Longmont CO. We saw one last Oct when in Vegas and fell in love with it. Since no one in CO has them, we bought one from Oklahoma and they drove it out here. We hope to get in a couple of weeks and plan to take a 2 week venture the end of March. We have the 2016 chassis, so we are hoping it handles our mountains more efficiently. Sold our 2014 class C Thor Four Winds 31F after we saw this one.


We have a 2014.5 Challenger 37GT. We traveled through CO last year on I70 from Utah to Kansas. We stayed in Central City at the KOA, which means we were going up and down 12% to 14% grades, pulling our Honda CR-V. We were up to around 10K' in elevation. What an adventure that was. We made it, but experienced some chugging at the higher elevation. If I lived in that type of altitude I'd think you may want to have the fuel mixture adjusted a bit.

Windsor is further north of Denver, and I don't know what your elevation is, but we were alright driving through the Colorado mountains just fine, except for the fuel mixture being set for lower elivations. A comparison would be on Scenic Bypass 12 in Utah, which is also going up and down 12% to 14% grades, but lower elivations we did not have any chugging issues. Once we came down to around 8K' I could tell a difference, and have never experienced an issue below 8K'. So that is the only thing you may want to consider if you expect to generally above 8K' elivations.

bigben 02-15-2016 06:45 PM

Glad you got your coach - your gonna love it. Anyway - we just took Route 16 in Wyoming through Powder River Pass. I believe the elevation is about 9600. The elevation doesn't begin to describe the pull up the mountain. The Challenger handle it very well - you won't set any land speed records but it will definitely pull the mountains. The real word of advise isn't going up - it is going down. Up until that stretch of road I'd used the Blue Ox Autostop. UUGGHH. Got a bit concerned going down the mountain. Got rid of the Autostop (now I call it - AutoJunk) and put in a Brake Buddy. Problem solved.

tedgard01 02-16-2016 05:13 AM

Be sure to use the Tow/Haul button. It will make the up grade and down grade travels so much easier...

bigben 02-16-2016 05:21 AM

On those long steep grades - the TOW/HAUL button is your best friend.

ctpres 02-17-2016 06:11 AM

More mods fixes and upgrades
 
#91 Squeaky Door? Off and on - mostly on our door makes a lot of noise opening and closing. Spent a good bit of time trying to figure out which one of the hinges was the problem. I never did figure out a good way to lubricate them. One day the gas strut ball socket came unscrewed from the shaft. I was about to reinstall it with some Locktite Blue and It dawned on me - NO NOISE! That ball and socket was the culprit all along. So much easier to lubricate too. A dab of oil and OK for a couple of days. Lightweight grease and good for more days. Last test was with some silicone paste and it's been almost two weeks now and still quiet. In process of experimenting with various lubes I left the spring clip off with no problem. I am betting that whatever kind of lube is used it will need cleaning and re lube from time to time. I did a little research and found nylon ball sockets which should never need lube. Did not order them as I am not sure they will hold up to stress of door flying open. If anyone knows more about the strength of the nylon sockets working or not - chime in.
--

janniemac 02-17-2016 09:59 AM

We will not have a toad this year-- only a scooter. Next year we'll buy the toad. Do we use the tow/haul button if we aren't towing?

bigben 02-17-2016 03:11 PM

I use the Tow/Haul anytime. It really helps in traffic with braking. It also helps hold speed going down a grade. IMO - doesn't matter rather you have a toad - recommend the Tow/Haul mode for at least these incidences.

tedgard01 02-17-2016 09:10 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by janniemac (Post 2944032)
We will not have a toad this year-- only a scooter. Next year we'll buy the toad. Do we use the tow/haul button if we aren't towing?


Yes.

If I had my way, the tow/haul button would be on by default and you would need to turn it off if you did not want it on...

Try it. You will find that it allows you to stop faster (with a quick tap of the brakes the grade brake kicks in to allow the engine to assist you in slowing down), it will retard downshifting on gradual inclines, where otherwise you would see the transmission downshift, it provides engine restraint when going down a grade, where without it you would pick up too much speed (with the cruse on, it will generally prevent you from exceeding the speed that you have the cruse set for)...

I think you will find it far safer on then off. The good part of it is, it will not cause any issue leaving it on, it simply provides driving and safety benefits. It is like having your anti-skid button on in the car. You have to turn it off if you are not wanting it on, versus having to remember to turn it on in slippery conditions...

ctpres 02-19-2016 07:31 AM

More mods fixes and upgrades
 
#92 Table in our KT is secured to floor during transit via two metal plates that are screwed to the slide floor with pan head screws. Screw heads stick up above the top of the metal plate and are hard on vacuum cleaner and bare feet. Problem solved. Removed plates and drilled 3/8" holes deep enough for recessed screw heads to drop below the surface. Reinstalled and now nice smooth surface for vacuum and feet.

bigben 02-20-2016 01:01 PM

Kinda makes your head hurt
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2946200)
#92 Table in our KT is secured to floor during transit via two metal plates that are screwed to the slide floor with pan head screws. Screw heads stick up above the top of the metal plate and are hard on vacuum cleaner and bare feet. Problem solved. Removed plates and drilled 3/8" holes deep enough for recessed screw heads to drop below the surface. Reinstalled and now nice smooth surface for vacuum and feet.

I always wonder when I make this sort of a fix what the heck the engineer was thinking of or maybe the builder just used what was available.

Just a thought.

PattyP 02-20-2016 02:16 PM

I thought it was a stupid way to put table in also. Can't put extensions up. One hits window. If you pull table out you can't open bathroom door. What were they thinking?

tedgard01 02-20-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 2947619)
I thought it was a stupid way to put table in also. Can't put extensions up. One hits window. If you pull table out you can't open bathroom door. What were they thinking?


An example, why make a cabinet that is not deep enough to put a regular sized plate in it? They know you will be driving down the road, so why not make racks to stand the plate in versus laying flat... Many little things could make life so much easier... I'd say they just are not thinking as a user...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.