iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

tedgard01 03-06-2016 09:56 AM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2965383)
Just custom made cabinets.
Use bottles for extra water while dry camping.

As you are a custom cabinet maker, it may be more than you would want to divulge, but a few more details of he build out would be appreciated. If not, I may need to make the 12 hr trip to Orillia.... So maybe you could simply send a PM with an estimate on how much cash I need to stow in those bays to get them to be done....

ctpres 03-13-2016 07:57 AM

2017 changes

Production changes for 2017 are begining to hit the web. One change I am VERY interested in is storage for the front table. If anyone sees it in the KT sure would like some pic's. I'm getting old and find the under bed storage getting to be more and more difficult. More nice reported changes: stairwell and in cabinet lighting as well as LED kitchen counter lights- all that has been on my todo list from day one.

Rustynail462 03-13-2016 10:06 AM

Hi, new to site, and busy reading. We are from central Canada, both retired and likely going to buy within the next year. We love the set up in the Challenger and the "KT" model impresses us the most. We realize it's a home on wheels and as a result issues arise in any RV requiring fix's. In reading we have a few concerns: a) there are many opinions both ways in regards to the Challenger ( THOR ) as to it's quality / reliability. b) dealer quality / timely warranty repairs. Any thoughts and helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated...... we are thinking new vs. used as you never know if it may be a lemon and at least new there is warranty. 1st time buyers and likely / hopefully our 1st will be our last.... hopefully I will see numerous helpful replies. Thank you.

ctpres 03-13-2016 12:39 PM

When I get bored I wander over to RV.net. Amazing difference - every visit there makes me appreciate IRV2 more. Anyhow they insulted Challenger owners by not listing our 25 year old Challenger family in the member RV info section. I asked about it and got this reply,

"Thank you for taking the time to write in and my apologies. That should certainly be added since it's a popular model. I will send this to my website support team and request that they look into this. Thank you and have a good day!"

Now maybe we will get the recognition we deserve.

bigdaddy5120 03-13-2016 02:24 PM

completed a couple of mods this weekend

First, I added an articulating TV mount to the living room TV.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...c082ea3a79.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...2ae78d51f5.jpg

The second mod was to add a power outlet to the driver front bay for my air compressor . I had to run the wire through the cable pull hole in the ceiling of the basement , run under slide box (on the inside of MH) into cable access hole behind the fire place , and then to power outlet.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...3c119b29e6.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...52e07dfb8c.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...0d624d42cc.jpg
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...09a6c4e0d6.jpg

ctpres 03-13-2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2976021)

Keep em coming Bigdaddy - Great job.

bigdaddy5120 03-13-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2976127)
Keep em coming Bigdaddy - Great job.

You to Sir !!

I have a few more projects planned.
1) RGB LED lights under the Motor Home -DW saw a LSU fan last year while we were tailgating that had them , looked really cool . So she added this one to my list . Looks like I can do this one for about 120.00 from amazon.

2) Add Power outlet to front passenger bay for small refrigerator

3) Add some home made slide out trays for the small refrigerator and tool box . I'm thinking of using these and plywood :Centerline® Lifetime Series 757 100-lb. Over-Travel Drawer Slides-Drawer Slides - Rockler Woodworking Tools Any thoughts ?

sbleiweiss 03-14-2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2975468)
Production changes for 2017 are begining to hit the web. One change I am VERY interested in is storage for the front table. If anyone sees it in the KT sure would like some pic's. I'm getting old and find the under bed storage getting to be more and more difficult. More nice reported changes: stairwell and in cabinet lighting as well as LED kitchen counter lights- all that has been on my todo list from day one.

Chuck: We just leave the table on the couch, tucked between the back pillow and seat pillow each day between setting up for the night. I agree, the bed storage for something used daily is a pain.

sbleiweiss 03-14-2016 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustynail462 (Post 2975688)
Hi, new to site, and busy reading. We are from central Canada, both retired and likely going to buy within the next year. We love the set up in the Challenger and the "KT" model impresses us the most. We realize it's a home on wheels and as a result issues arise in any RV requiring fix's. In reading we have a few concerns: a) there are many opinions both ways in regards to the Challenger ( THOR ) as to it's quality / reliability. b) dealer quality / timely warranty repairs. Any thoughts and helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated...... we are thinking new vs. used as you never know if it may be a lemon and at least new there is warranty. 1st time buyers and likely / hopefully our 1st will be our last.... hopefully I will see numerous helpful replies. Thank you.

We love the KT too. Thor has some quality control problems but I think it is an industry wide problem. Unless you buy the mega-expensive custom jobs I think there is no way around it. I agree with buying new for that reason (warranty) although some swear by used saying the problems have already been fixed at the first owners inconvenience. We bought from Total Value RV in Elkhart. They were good for service and by being close to the factory and the RV hub they could get anything quickly. You also get a new MH with only about 50 miles on it. Good luck and welcome to the MH lovers life.

bigben 03-14-2016 06:55 AM

Rustynail462 - we've had our Challenger 37TB for 11 months and 17,500. Love it. Issues - yep but Thor has been great about resolving. Not sure how much homework you've done but after our homework and hands on - the beauty of the coach is WAY beyond the looks and most inside features. The holding tanks, fresh water tanks, basement storage, long wheel base,AGS (automatic generator start), multiple inverter circuits, 22.5" tires are second to none in gassers and beyond most DPs. We added a washer/dryer combo and it is my wife's favorite adder.

We lived in ours dry camping for 8 weeks in Key West. The features above allowed us to live just like we would with full hookups, dumping and refilling every 5 days. No one you could do that without these great features.

I agree with sebiewiess about buying new. I have been kinda annal about finding and fixing issues in our coach. If you buy used, you can only hope that the former owner(s) used the 1st year to resolve issues that present themselves.

Best of luck - enjoy.

ctpres 03-14-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2976213)
You to Sir !!

I have a few more projects planned.
1) RGB LED lights under the Motor Home -DW saw a LSU fan last year while we were tailgating that had them , looked really cool . So she added this one to my list . Looks like I can do this one for about 120.00 from amazon.

You need to shop Ebay for the lights. Around $15 from China but you do have to wait. Look for "5M 5050 RGB 12v Waterproof w controller" with ePacket deliverey and items usually arrive in two to three weeks. Avail on Amazon for about same price. Read carefully what is included. Links do not last very long so try this one pretty quick for about $11.00. Bought one early this year.
5M 300Leds 5050 RGB SMD Waterproof LED Strips Lights Lamps Remote Controller | eBay

Rustynail462 03-14-2016 10:56 AM

Shell, thank you for your response, I am glad you are basically happy with your unit, it's a relief to here and I am sure when we buy we will be just as happy. One question, buying where you did def. had it's advantage, but, were you able to get a great price say in comparison to one of the big dealers in the south who by having large inventories can sell cheaper. If your price was comparable, buying where you did makes great sense.

bigben..thank you for your reply, very helpful, we are now even more convinced on the Challenger. Even talking about the washer/dryer add on as we would love to be free to do some dry camping and have the conveniences you listed.
Hope to see you people out there some day on the road camping, we are very impressed with the positive people here and there helpful suggestions and experience.
Dar & Jer

bigben 03-15-2016 06:13 AM

Rustynail462 - Dar & Jer. Lots of great folks here. Biggest thing you have to do - enjoy the coach experience.

sbleiweiss 03-15-2016 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=Rustynail462;2977137]Shell, thank you for your response, I am glad you are basically happy with your unit, it's a relief to here and I am sure when we buy we will be just as happy. One question, buying where you did def. had it's advantage, but, were you able to get a great price say in comparison to one of the big dealers in the south who by having large inventories can sell cheaper. If your price was comparable, buying where you did makes great sense.

Yes, price was comparable. By all means shop around, but be careful that if you buy somewhere far away for price that you have a dealer who will service you. We too added a W/D combo and wouldn't be without either the combo or stackables.