iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

camaromance 03-14-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1495439)
Ok, here's a question. Our Challenger has an 1800 watt inverter. This seems to be a recent change from the 600 in the Thor specs. What would be the feasibility of powering the fridge outlets from the inverter? As it stands, the fridge switches to gas when we are not on shore power. Just thinking it would be safer not having an open flame even though it's a Dometic and not a Norcold.

Bruce, the issue with a fridge or even an air conditioning unit is not the power it takes to run it, it's the power required to get the compressor started at the begining of each cooling cycle. They both have a starting capacitor that stores a huge amount of electricity to get the compressor going. The capicitors are a short discharge meaning they dont stay charged for very long so it takes a fair amount of power to charge them. Also, the worst thing you can do to either is to run them without the proper amount of power. It will ruin the compressor.

Believe it or not, the propane is the most efficient way to run your fridge. However, I have seen all the posts and pictures of ruined motorhomes due to fires in the fridge. I will share that I have always run my fridge off propane when on the road and while boon docking and have never felt like it was a danger. It is very unfortunate for those who have lost their motorhome because of this type of fire but, I also think the danger is WAY overstated and causes a lot of unwarranted fear. The best thing you can do to ensure you won't burn down your coach is to always make sure the vent pipe on the back of your fridge is clear. I have a small inspection mirror I use to see the "light" through the standpipe. I don't do it religiously, but at least at the beginning of the season and every so often throughout the season. Funny thing, I always think of it when I'm driving down the road and can't do anything about it. Then, I usually forget about it after we get to where we're going.

DGShaffer 03-14-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1496213)
Slide update: the jamming was caused by some screws in the vertical frame loosening and catching the slide wall. Easy fix. However, the technician also noticed (as I had also done) that the slide goes bump-bump-bump on the way out and in. He told me this is happening because the rollers under the slide are not aligned properly with the metal rubbing plates on the floor. The bumping is the rollers running over the screw heads. Thor are overnighting a set of new, wider plates which will be installed tomorrow. The slide will have to be removed to do this, so it's an all day job. The tech did comment that if this is left uncorrected it will wear out the rollers eventually. Anyone who has a slide with the Schwintek mechanism (gear tracks at each end of the slide) should get it checked if it bumps going in and out.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you'll be stuck there. They could install flat head screws but then they wouldn't have you walking around buying stuff in their store! :rofl:

DGShaffer 03-14-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1496224)

Believe it or not, the propane is the most efficient way to run your fridge. However, I have seen all the posts and pictures of ruined motorhomes due to fires in the fridge. I will share that I have always run my fridge off propane when on the road and while boon docking and have never felt like it was a danger. It is very unfortunate for those who have lost their motorhome because of this type of fire but, I also think the danger is WAY overstated and causes a lot of unwarranted fear. The best thing you can do to ensure you won't burn down your coach is to always make sure the vent pipe on the back of your fridge is clear. I have a small inspection mirror I use to see the "light" through the standpipe. I don't do it religiously, but at least at the beginning of the season and every so often throughout the season. Funny thing, I always think of it when I'm driving down the road and can't do anything about it. Then, I usually forget about it after we get to where we're going.


Good tip on the inspection mirror. With my fridge on a slide I imagine the vent is a flex hose because the vent is hard mounted to the roof. Am I thinking about the correct vent?

I honestly think my fridge runs more on propane that it does electric. I let it cool down for a day prior to every trip as well as while traveling to and from, all on propane.

If it catches fire you can bet I'm waiting to call for help until there's no salvaging it. I can't imagine fighting with an insurance company over smoke and water damage. My policy has replacement value coverage in the case of a total loss.

camaromance 03-14-2013 08:25 PM

Don,

You should have an upper and lower grate access on the outside of your slide. The vent pipe runs vertical on what should be the right side behind those grates. It draws air in from the bottom and the vents out of the top grate. Even with just the lower grate removed, you should be able to see up the vent by contorting yourself and looking up the vent pipe or just use a mirror. The flame is nothing more than a pilot light. You probably know this already but, another place to keep an eye on is the vent for the water heater. Spiders and wasps can clog that up with their nests which can create a real problem. To prevent these things from happening, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought the set of three metal mesh sink strainers. Of the three sizes that are in there, two of them are the perfect size. One goes over the vent for the hot water heater, the other goes over the air intake for the engine. We turn on both the gas and electric at the same time to help recover the hot water n the morning. It works so well it's almost like one of those hot water generators. I leave my fridge running all season. Hell, in the summertime, I usually have more groceries in the camper than I do in the house.

DGShaffer 03-15-2013 04:44 AM

Good tips. I'll be looking at that as soon as I get it back from service. When I was keeping mine at the house it was always plugged in, stocked, and ready to go at a moments notice. Then the local town administration changed and they cited an ordnance that barred me from keeping it at my house. So now I keep it at a storage yard 5 minutes from home.

DGShaffer 03-16-2013 07:38 AM

I just mentioned this handy little device to John in an email and that got me thinking that some of you may be doing your own oil changes and appreciate something to make it easier.

Its call the Quick Oil Drain Valve and it replaces the drain plug. The valve has a spring that locks it in the closed position and you lift the lever and rotate it 90 degrees and here comes the oil. I attached an 18" long section of tube and used a few loose tie wraps to hold it up along the sway bar. I also plug the hose to keep debris out of it.

I put 30,000 miles on my Outlaw so that meant I saved myself about eight opportunities to strip the threads on my oil pan. If you've ever done this you know that the repair is an absolute bitch!

Anyway, it's something new to spend some money on :dance:

Here's the link: QuickOilDrainValve.com

ronny 03-16-2013 07:24 PM

congrats on your new kt. we just purchased a gt and love it. going to home depot to get some of those regesters. great idea.
Ronny
marble falls texas

DGShaffer 03-16-2013 08:11 PM

I was informed that they sell 2x10's. All they had at my local HD were the 2x12's so that's what I installed. Either way, I like the look and the ability to choke off the heat in the bathroom.

bdickson 03-16-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1498402)
I was informed that they sell 2x10's. All they had at my local HD were the 2x12's so that's what I installed. Either way, I like the look and the ability to choke off the heat in the bathroom.

So you have a rectangular vent in the bathroom? Mine is round, on the side of the washer/dryer closet. I think it may have been discussed earlier, but is there an effective way to control the airflow through the round vents?

bdickson 03-16-2013 08:38 PM

Slide update: The tech started pulling the slide out yesterday morning while waiting for the FedEx overnight 10am delivery. Apparently the parts didn't arrive until 3pm because Thor selected next day economy shipping when they had guaranteed me early morning. Then the tech found that the new roller plates they shipped were the wrong size. By then, Thor was closed for the weekend. So Camping World sent out to a local sheet metal shop and had plates fabricated. Everything was done by 11am today and we are back in the coach with a working slide. I know it's common to knock Camping World, but the Albuquerque location pulled out all the stops and did a great job for us. Needless to say I am less than pleased with Thor's warranty department.

DGShaffer 03-17-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1498420)
So you have a rectangular vent in the bathroom? Mine is round, on the side of the washer/dryer closet. I think it may have been discussed earlier, but is there an effective way to control the airflow through the round vents?

I'm sure you can come up with a piece of cardboard inside the vent to choke it off. Not having one in my hand that's all I got. Send it to me and I'll create an adjustable insert :D

DGShaffer 03-17-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1498439)
Slide update: The tech started pulling the slide out yesterday morning while waiting for the FedEx overnight 10am delivery. Apparently the parts didn't arrive until 3pm because Thor selected next day economy shipping when they had guaranteed me early morning. Then the tech found that the new roller plates they shipped were the wrong size. By then, Thor was closed for the weekend. So Camping World sent out to a local sheet metal shop and had plates fabricated. Everything was done by 11am today and we are back in the coach with a working slide. I know it's common to knock Camping World, but the Albuquerque location pulled out all the stops and did a great job for us. Needless to say I am less than pleased with Thor's warranty department.

I've had vendors do that same thing to me and it's really frustrating. Glad to see that the guys at CW didn't let that slow them down.

I'm fortunate in that I have had nothing but great experiences with my local CW. They do seem to get knocked quite a bit but I have had nothing be good things to say about the one here in NJ since I first bought my Damon Outlaw. I bought it from a dealer out in Rhode Island and immediately brought it to these guys for all the punch list items to be handled. They didn't care at all the I didn't buy the unit from them.

Glad to hear the good news. Squeezing through toll booths could have been a problem with that slide extended :popcorn:

DGShaffer 03-17-2013 05:23 AM

Keeping on this theme. I was never instructed on how to manually retract the slides. I never asked so I got what I asked for I guess.

Does anyone here know the procedure for retracting the slides in case of a power failure?

john109 03-17-2013 05:26 AM

Bruce,
Great to hear you are back on the road and that the Camper's World you dealt with was so helpful. Has anyone found a reliable site that rates service at different dealerships. If not maybe we can start our own I believe that Don has a lot of good things to say about his dealership. And Bruce had a good experience in Albuquerque I know I would go to either place if I was needing help. I myself can't recommend my dealership the people were nice but the service department was horrible. It was Campers World in Syracuse, NY they couldn't fix my DT and promised me parts were coming and when I called all I got was voice mail to service manager and no return calls. I met another guy on this site who had a similar experience with this same dealership. After a couple of weeks I went directly to Thor and got the parts from them. Guys I am not trying to bash dealerships my thinking is it would be nice to have a list of places to go or not go if you need help.
Bruce one other question since they did all the work on your slide does it make any noise going down the road. The reason I ask is some of us are finding that ours do. I know Don's is in for service this week and hopefully they will find a fix for it.
John


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.