iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

wldracing 04-25-2016 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3038268)
Bet the trip home was empty weight. Would not rush to changes until you load her up, get weighed and set tire pressure to mfg's table for each axel. Then make a trip or two and I bet there will be a big difference

I just posted a detailed review of how I fixed the handling issue. Go to : https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/2015...ew-286474.html

wldracing 04-25-2016 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3036240)
Installed these new jack pads today, easy peasy. No more reaching under the coach to manually set pads when setting up!

Automatic RV Leveling Jack Pads - RV SnapPad

My Main reason for using Jack Pads is to use on a uneven soft surface (like sand) to eliminate sinking and to better distribute weight on my cement driveway. With the apparent circumference of the jack pad, do you have any issues with sinking. Love the design, and the fact that you don't have to crawl under to set the pads. What is the diameter of the Pad?

Thanks

IrihRed 04-25-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3038268)
Bet the trip home was empty weight. Would not rush to changes until you load her up, get weighed and set tire pressure to mfg's table for each axel. Then make a trip or two and I bet there will be a big difference

You are right, but full gas, LP, H2O, 1/2 Black tank, 1/2 Gray, 4 batt, 2 adults (430lbs) but not a lot of belongings etc. Will be going to KW first week in May more loaded and will see how it does then. Also, after I think we are fairly loaded for FT travel I will look for a place to weigh all 4 corners and make necessary adjustments. Thanks for your help.

Webman9113 04-26-2016 06:41 AM

Starting in on some long-delayed mods to our 2014.5 37KT before our upcoming trip to Yellowstone. I realized that we're now down to 39 days before we leave, so I guess I better get cracking!

Here are some of the major things I hope to get done (putting to good use the money we managed to get back from IRS this year):

- Replace the horribly uncomfortable fold-out sofa bed in the living room with theater style seats. Heck, bean bags would be better!

- WeBoost 4G RV coupled to a wideband directional antenna to improve data connectivity while we're parked (not so worried about while we're rolling: I have to drive and the DW knits). I'll be putting the antenna on the TV mast and repurposing the RG6 cable, since we never watch on-air TV.

- Ubiquiti Nanostaion LocoM2 + Airgateway Indoor Access Point to get better park WiFi connectivity (on the rare occasion when park wifi is as good as what we get via Verizon LTE). Will mount that on an extendable pole on the rear ladder.

- Lower the living room TV to a more comfortable viewing height.

- Ditto for the outdoor TV, which is more of a challenge because the mounts that allow drop-down require about 5" clearance behind the TV, and that's a bit limited by the interior cabinet. Any suggestions?

- Feed HDMI to the bedroom and outdoor TVs (I removed the midships one) with an IOGear HDMI Matrix Pro (I wouldn't have bothered with this rather expensive item, except that we were having chronic interference problems with the coax distribution that no one could pin down).

- Remove the video switcher and replace it with a 3-way splitter for park cable to feed direct to the TVs (minus the midships/kitchen one, which I took out).

- Replace the wretched OEM mattress with a 10" memory foam California King (will require slicing off several inches from one end) we bought from Wayfair.

- Replace our Dish Network VIP 211K receiver with a VIP 612 so we can both record and watch programs simultaneously with the dual feed from our Pathway X2 antenna (will require adding a dual coax input to the A/V cabinet on the driver's side slide).

- Install a kitty door in the stairwell so we can put their litter box in one of the storage bays.

- Pull-out shelves/drawers for select storage bays.

- And, last but not least (leaving out the numerous more minor mods), the Cheap Handling Fix for the suspension (we already have a Safe-T-Plus and Blue Ox Trak Bar installed, but I wasn't overly impressed with the changes in handling they made).

I feel sorry for the poor UPS guy... :D

Webman9113 04-26-2016 07:07 AM

Spent a good chunk of yesterday ripping out the sofa bed from our 37KT:

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...11cd2d7ce7.jpg

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...1a71c510d4.jpg

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...e056fdcd72.jpg

Note the notches in each side of the slide that accommodated the arms of the sofa.

Those things running across the slide floor to the wall in the third pic are the electrical and coax cables. I didn't have a chance to look more closely yet to figure out why Thor would have run them right up through the middle of the floor, but that's a bit of a head scratcher at first glance. I'd like to be able to just route them under the floor, but I suspect that would involve an unpleasant amount of work.

The alternative may be to lay down some 1x2's as a support frame and then lay some plywood over them to support the chairs, extending the width to cover the notches (since the theater seats from Camping World will fill in the entire width of the slide), and extending the depth another 6" or so to accommodate the seats (they're 35" deep; the slide is 29").

Lastly, note the bolt sticking up out of the slide floor near the center of the left wall panel. That's one of the four bolts securing the seat belts, which I removed. Unfortunately, this one is stuck in the aluminum plate on the bottom of the slide that protects it from one of the rollers. In trying to pound the thing out, I popped out one of the screws (well, the head broke off) that holds in the plate - have to get a small pry par with a sharp edge to get that sucker out, then replace the screw.

ctpres 04-26-2016 07:37 AM

Recliners
 
Webman - been studying same project for almost a year now. Note that slide floor is about four inches higher that main floor. If seat height of the new one is 22 inches - that means seat will be 26 inches above floor. For some vertically challenged that could be a problem. I have only found a couple recliners that I THINK will work. That four inch rise is the only reason I am not doing the same project yet. The Lambright Lazy Relaxor is my best pick so far. It has a low seat. It has swivel base that can be removed (seat lower yet) leaving two rails that should not interfere with the cables. If I decide to keep the swivel I figure the round base can be notched and a connector added over the notch allowing cables stay where they are. You have a very big mod list. Keep us posted with lots of pictures.

Webman9113 04-26-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3040459)
Webman - been studying same project for almost a year now. Note that slide floor is about four inches higher that main floor. If seat height of the new one is 22 inches - that means seat will be 26 inches above floor. For some vertically challenged that could be a problem. I have only found a couple recliners that I THINK will work. That four inch rise is the only reason I am not doing the same project yet. The Lambright Lazy Relaxor is my best pick so far. It has a low seat. It has swivel base that can be removed (seat lower yet) leaving two rails that should not interfere with the cables. If I decide to keep the swivel I figure the round base can be notched and a connector added over the notch allowing cables stay where they are. You have a very big mod list. Keep us posted with lots of pictures.

Yes, the height of the slide was a bit disconcerting - I wasn't expecting that. But I only hesitated for about 30 seconds before I muttered to myself "Burn the ships" and pulled out the sofa: the thing was so wretchedly uncomfortable that I'd literally be happier with bean bags!

I guess there's not too much to be done about the height, but for the most part that would really only be an issue for getting in and out of the chair (which I know for some isn't to be taken lightly). On the other hand, I guess it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to have some sort of little removable step sort of thing at the front of the slide.

I also like those recliners you pointed out - they look like they'd be nice! In fact, the Lazy Relaxor Lite says it's 2" shorter seat height. I also like the optional foldup table - that would be nice. Am going to give those some serious thought, especially since we'd likely be able to get them in time for the trip and not have to worry about a backorder. Would still need to do something with the slide floor, or at least the edges where the notches are: they're very rough cut with metal edges. Hmmm...

LyonsL 04-26-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wldracing (Post 3038646)
My Main reason for using Jack Pads is to use on a uneven soft surface (like sand) to eliminate sinking and to better distribute weight on my cement driveway. With the apparent circumference of the jack pad, do you have any issues with sinking. Love the design, and the fact that you don't have to crawl under to set the pads. What is the diameter of the Pad?

Thanks

I've been using the large Hosspads (Hosspad Jack and Leveling Pads - Motorcoach, 2-Pack - Bsrm H MOTORCOACH - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World) for the past two years and they still look new. They're made out of old tires and are 11-1/2" square and 1" thick. They've been great on all surfaces.

The new SnapPads (https://rvsnappad.com/) are also made from old tires. They're 11" in diameter and about 2" thick. They seem just as sturdy as the Hosspads and they have a 2 year warranty. I believe they'll last a long time.

As previously stated, no more getting down on hands and knees to set the pads or to retrieve them when leaving the campground or resort.

LyonsL 04-26-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3040536)
Yes, the height of the slide was a bit disconcerting - I wasn't expecting that. But I only hesitated for about 30 seconds before I muttered to myself "Burn the ships" and pulled out the sofa: the thing was so wretchedly uncomfortable that I'd literally be happier with bean bags!

I guess there's not too much to be done about the height, but for the most part that would really only be an issue for getting in and out of the chair (which I know for some isn't to be taken lightly). On the other hand, I guess it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to have some sort of little removable step sort of thing at the front of the slide.

I also like those recliners you pointed out - they look like they'd be nice! In fact, the Lazy Relaxor Lite says it's 2" shorter seat height. I also like the optional foldup table - that would be nice. Am going to give those some serious thought, especially since we'd likely be able to get them in time for the trip and not have to worry about a backorder. Would still need to do something with the slide floor, or at least the edges where the notches are: they're very rough cut with metal edges. Hmmm...

I've also had this mod on my list for the past year. The sofa is just too uncomfortable to use on a daily basis. I've got to replace it soon! Please let us know how it turns out!

Webman9113 04-26-2016 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3041066)
I've also had this mod on my list for the past year. The sofa is just too uncomfortable to use on a daily basis. I've got to replace it soon! Please let us know how it turns out!

Well, after looking at the different options for replacing the sofa and then getting back in the RV and looking at the passenger side slide (again, this is a 2014.5 37KT), I've decided to stick with "Plan A," which is to replace it with the recliners and center console from CW. The height of the slide floor is more than I'd like, but it's not really *that* high, at least for my wife and me (although if you have mobility issues, that could be a different story). And you only have to worry about it when you get in and out, so just get a running start getting in, and be prepared to roll when getting out. :D And if the recliners don't get here before we leave, I'll already have the platform installed, anyway, and just get a couple cheap but comfy chairs from Ikea that I can repurpose later.

Seriously, the Lazy Relaxor recliners would be an excellent option, but they would be quite a few more $$ than the recliners from CW, which we got on sale. Also, I asked about removing the swivel ring, and the customer rep who replied said the ring was *not* removable. It clearly is, because you can see the bolt in the pic, but take that for what it's worth.

Anyway, we'll know more on that score tomorrow when the center console is delivered (apparently the right and left recliners are backordered, but they had the console), along with a bunch of other parts. That will at least allow me to figure out what size I'll need to make the slide floor that I'll put over the existing one to make a stable platform for the recliners.

Two small things I got done today:

1. Replaced the burned out lights over the dining table with LEDs (click here for Amazon page). For anyone else who may have to wrestle with these stupid things, to remove the old lights you have to gently but firmly press the bulb into the socket, then turn counterclockwise. To install the new LEDs, insert gently but firmly and turn clockwise until they lock in place. NOTE: the LED lights only work in one orientation. So if yours doesn't light up, just remove it, turn the bulb 180 degrees, and insert again.

2. Replaced the original porch light with a Starlights SL-1000 Smart Light motion sensor light (click here for Amazon page). I hate having to fumble with keys when coming back to the rig after dark, and this should solve that problem. The only downside is that the original light is shaped sort of like an acorn, and Thor painted it after the light fixture was installed, so there's a patch of the white base coat underneath that the SL-1000 doesn't cover. It looks sort of crappy (as does the silicone caulk in the picture - the side of the rig was so hot that the stuff started curing on contact, and I can't apply caulk any better than a spastic 5 year old, anyway), but it's functional. I'll figure out how to make it look better later.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...1cdb7f6695.jpg

BTW, if you're wondering about that funky patterning in the upper side of the rig, that's the legacy of our trip to Vermont, where our entire coach was covered front to back (along with our Jeep) in yellow road paint that was laid down just before a heavy rain. The entire rig had to be buffed off, as did the Jeep (which also had to have all the exterior black plastic parts replaced, because they couldn't get the paint off them). Oy!

Tunes 04-26-2016 07:27 PM

LG WM3477HW 2.3 Cu. Ft. 24" Compact Washer/Dryer Combo
 
We took delivery of our new 2016 Challenger 37KT. Now time to make it our own. One of the first things that we want to do is add a washer/dryer. Have been Looking for a stackable separate units but doesn't seem to be many available at this time so we are thinking about the LG WM3477HW 2.3 Cu. Ft. 24" Compact Washer/Dryer Combo. Was just wanting to hear any thoughts good and bad about this unit or any other recommendations any of you might have on the washer/dryer subject. Thanks

Webman9113 04-26-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunes (Post 3041647)
We took delivery of our new 2016 Challenger 37KT. Now time to make it our own. One of the first things that we want to do is add a washer/dryer. Have been Looking for a stackable separate units but doesn't seem to be many available at this time so we are thinking about the LG WM3477HW 2.3 Cu. Ft. 24" Compact Washer/Dryer Combo. Was just wanting to hear any thoughts good and bad about this unit or any other recommendations any of you might have on the washer/dryer subject. Thanks

We have a combo unit, I believe a Splendide, in our coach. We liked it so much we got a larger LG unit for the house. The only major downside is that the combo units take a long time to dry. Also, while they can be installed in a ventless configuration, I suggest you vent it to minimize the heat buildup in the cabinet; in our coach the W/D cabinet is also the pantry, with three shelves above the washer, and we didn't want things getting too warm.

tedgard01 04-27-2016 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunes (Post 3041647)
We took delivery of our new 2016 Challenger 37KT. Now time to make it our own. One of the first things that we want to do is add a washer/dryer. Have been Looking for a stackable separate units but doesn't seem to be many available at this time so we are thinking about the LG WM3477HW 2.3 Cu. Ft. 24" Compact Washer/Dryer Combo. Was just wanting to hear any thoughts good and bad about this unit or any other recommendations any of you might have on the washer/dryer subject. Thanks


We have used a combo unit and now have a stackable unit. We like the stackable far better. Ours work just like at the s&b, except for a smaller load. The combo had two flaws for us; 1) the clothes took way too long to dry, 2) the clothes came out wrinkled and twisted together. If you have the choice, I recommend the stackable... Either are better than the Laundromat...

sbleiweiss 04-27-2016 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3041066)
I've also had this mod on my list for the past year. The sofa is just too uncomfortable to use on a daily basis. I've got to replace it soon! Please let us know how it turns out!

I posted this last year but I'll repeat since this thread is current. If you want recliners go ahead. But a much easier fix for the uncomfortable couch is to replace the pillows the rear cushions are stuffed with with new and firmer pillows. DW got ones from Bed Bath and Beyond, replaced them, and the couch is now perfectly comfortable. Just sayin.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.