iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Webman9113 04-27-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3042122)
I posted this last year but I'll repeat since this thread is current. If you want recliners go ahead. But a much easier fix for the uncomfortable couch is to replace the pillows the rear cushions are stuffed with with new and firmer pillows. DW got ones from Bed Bath and Beyond, replaced them, and the couch is now perfectly comfortable. Just sayin.

For us the really uncomfortable part isn't the back cushions, but the seat. Maybe you have a different sofa; ours is the fold out sofa bed that comes with an air mattress, and the seat "cushions" are total butt breakers, especially after a year or so of use. And being able to recline and kick our feet up a bit is a luxury we've gotten used to after getting a loveseat recliner for our bedroom at home (necessitated by a medical procedure my wife had a couple years back). Of course, we have to hope now that CW will deliver the backordered chairs before we leave, LOL! If not, we'll be picking up a couple cheap but comfy chairs from Ikea...

PattyP 04-27-2016 08:25 PM

I think couch is very comfortable and mattress in bedroom is too. Not sure what to do about it. Thought about buying a 3 inch foam to put on top of bed mattress. Need the sofa bed couch for when we have company.

Webman9113 04-27-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3043312)
I think couch is very comfortable and mattress in bedroom is too. Not sure what to do about it. Thought about buying a 3 inch foam to put on top of bed mattress. Need the sofa bed couch for when we have company.

We got a 3" memory foam topper for the original mattress, which helped somewhat, but not much. To replace it I bought a California King (72" wide x 84" long) memory foam mattress that was on sale that had good reviews. Tomorrow one of my projects is to cut it to length - probably around 78", or as long as I can make it without it scrunching up against the bedroom cabinets when the slide is in - with an electric knife. That should be interesting...

As for having company, we still have the drop-down bed over the driver/passenger seats, and we can always throw down an air mattress in the living room if necessary. ;)

happycamperj 04-28-2016 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3042218)
For us the really uncomfortable part isn't the back cushions, but the seat. Maybe you have a different sofa; ours is the fold out sofa bed that comes with an air mattress, and the seat "cushions" are total butt breakers, especially after a year or so of use. And being able to recline and kick our feet up a bit is a luxury we've gotten used to after getting a loveseat recliner for our bedroom at home (necessitated by a medical procedure my wife had a couple years back). Of course, we have to hope now that CW will deliver the backordered chairs before we leave, LOL! If not, we'll be picking up a couple cheap but comfy chairs from Ikea...

I agree. We installed the recliner sofa from CW. What a difference!

sbleiweiss 04-28-2016 06:58 AM

Quote:

We have the same couch. You might try the fuller pillows in the seat cushions. I realize you have already started down this road, but if CW doesn't deliver on time for example, pillows might be all you need, at least temporarily.

LyonsL 04-28-2016 09:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I also prefer a recliner to a chair or sofa. I'd like to know if anyone on this forum has the recliner seating in the 2016 Challenger 37KT? If so, is it comfortable? I'd like to find out the make & model of the factory recliner!

LyonsL 04-28-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happycamperj (Post 3043624)

Can you tell us the make & model number?

jpmihalk 04-28-2016 10:07 AM

This is the recliner sofa that came in our 2016 Hurricane 35C... we love it!

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...2b47d034a6.jpg

PattyP 04-28-2016 10:21 AM

I find that I sit more in the middle of couch and I sink in between the cushions! I got a foot stool to put my feet up on, but I'm miserable and trying to sleep on it while my husband drives all day long, is so uncomfortable! It's not wide enough! Every time he makes a turn I feel I'm going to fall on floor��

Webman9113 04-28-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happycamperj (Post 3043624)

That's what I hoped to hear! Unfortunately, ours are backordered. I'm just hoping they'll get here before we leave on our trip. But if not, we'll make do and install them when we get back!

Webman9113 04-28-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3043697)
We have the same couch. You might try the fuller pillows in the seat cushions. I realize you have already started down this road, but if CW doesn't deliver on time for example, pillows might be all you need, at least temporarily.

I figuratively put the old sofa-bed to the torch: the junk guys came and hauled the pieces away this afternoon, along with the wretched mattress and all the debris from the bedroom in the house I just got done renovating. Freed up a lot of room in the front of the coach to start in on the A/V mods I've got planned!

Webman9113 04-28-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3044033)
I find that I sit more in the middle of couch and I sink in between the cushions! I got a foot stool to put my feet up on, but I'm miserable and trying to sleep on it while my husband drives all day long, is so uncomfortable! It's not wide enough! Every time he makes a turn I feel I'm going to fall on floor��

That's pretty much how my wife felt, as she typically spent more time on the couch - I couldn't stand it to the point that I almost always sat in the passenger seat (while parked, of course), which we spin around when we're parked. But it was really hard on her tailbone, which isn't good, as she's had some medical problems over the years after an accident when she was a kid.

Webman9113 04-28-2016 05:20 PM

Oh, by the way, here is the link for the Camping World recliners we ordered. You'll need to order a right hand and left hand recliner, and there's also an optional center console. Also please note that the color (a light tan/beige) of the examples shown on the product pages is NOT accurate; click on the color swatch in the "more images" section to get a better idea of what "Beckham Tan" actually looks like. They also offer a one in a slightly different style in walnut.

Speaking of center consoles, the pic below shows ours - the chairs are yet to be shipped - set on the slide (which is retracted in this pic) to give an idea of how far out I'll have to make the add-on slide floor. Also, on the issue of seat height, unless the chair seats are a lot higher than I suspect, I don't think that's going to be a problem. In fact, for folks who have mobility issues, it might actually be a bit better, because you don't have to sit down so far (and then get up/out). But we'll see when the chairs arrive.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...45afca072d.jpg

Webman9113 04-28-2016 05:43 PM

A few other things I puttered with today.

1. Trimming the bed down to length. As I mentioned earlier, we ordered a California King (72W x 84L) memory foam mattress from Wayfair. After letting it expand for a day or so, I took after it today with an electric knife like you use to carve a turkey, trimming it down to 78" long. With the main slide closed on our 37KT, the cabinets opposite the foot of the bed just press against the foam. Once I have the cloth wrapper sewn closed and zip shut the cover, I'll flip it around and put the cut end at the head.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...2e841b2aa3.jpg

2. Replaced the original bathroom register that brings in warm air with one that allows you to control the flow. Hot air just blasted into the bathroom through that thing, so hopefully the control vanes will keep it from becoming a hotbox and spread some of the heat to the other areas of the coach.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...bb26239dd3.jpg

3. I removed the fill-in panel behind the main TV, resulting in that big open space you see here. My plan is to replace it with 3/4" plywood and cover up the open hole below it, as well. We'll pretty it up by adding a 1/4" plywood square covered with black felt or speaker fabric that will cover that whole section except for a 3" or so "frame" of the original wood, then I'll mount the TV over top of that and hang the sound bar below it.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...2215487bbe.jpg

4. The following diagram shows how I'm setting up our A/V system. Thick black lines are existing coax for park cable only. Thin lines are HDMI. Hollow lines are wireless HDMI broadcasts from an IOGear Matrix Pro. Note that the HDMI splitter from the Dish receiver to the Matrix Pro is required to eliminate problems with HDCP copy protection with some programming (and no, this isn't "hacking" anything, just making sure that you can actually watch the content you already payed for when retransmitting it via the Matrix Pro). Some may notice that I don't have any provision for bringing in on-air TV from the antenna on the roof; that's because I'm going to steal that cable for the directional antenna for our cell booster system.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...b7f79908be.gif