iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

ctpres 04-29-2016 06:17 AM

Webman. Re recliner install. Part of my thinking is that maybe I can move recliner closer to wall by making top of shelf and out TV cabinet thinner. Chair back angles in recline mode and I am thinking I can get a couple inches by moding top of cabinet. Every inch counts and we have no use for cup holder or the shelf.
Re TV hole. What about hinging the cover you are building. Maybe storage shelves for DVD games etc. And easy access for service and future changes

Webman9113 04-29-2016 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3045235)
Webman. Re recliner install. Part of my thinking is that maybe I can move recliner closer to wall by making top of shelf and out TV cabinet thinner. Chair back angles in recline mode and I am thinking I can get a couple inches by moding top of cabinet. Every inch counts and we have no use for cup holder or the shelf.

Okay, that clicked, and I just kicked your idea around with the DW. Unless I see a non-starter, I think I'm just going to tear out that cabinet behind the sofa. Its only purpose is as an internal conceal for the external TV, 120V socket, and a few wires. So if we ditch the cabinet, that will, as you noted, make more room for the recliners and reduce the distance they stick out into the living area.

Also, I'd like to be able to mount the external TV on some sort of articulating arm (this is one I've been looking at) so we can adjust it to a position that's comfortable to watch. But the catch has been that those mounts require between 4-6" of space behind the TV, and that obviously won't fit in the existing TV enclosure. So I may just rip that out, too, and figure a way to mount the TV on an arm like that (and a way to secure the TV safely for travel). I may or may not bother making an inside enclosure, because all that will be hidden down low behind the recliners, anyway; even now, as it is from the factory, there's a big open hole behind the TV in the cabinet. The only time we'd have the TV out is when we're at the rig, so any time we're not and the TV is stowed, the outer door would be closed/locked and the interior would be weather tight and secure.

Quote:

Re TV hole. What about hinging the cover you are building. Maybe storage shelves for DVD games etc. And easy access for service and future changes
You just hit on what I've been thinking about this morning. I really don't like the idea of permanently affixing the new "wall cover" (not sure what else to call it) to the cabinet that holds the main TV. The big downside to the hinge idea is that I'm not sure if there'd be much swing clearance to get into the cabinet, and the wood the cabinet is made of isn't the sturdiest stuff in the world. Our TV is 39" wide, and it runs edge to edge across the width of the cabinet face.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward just removing the TV cabinet altogether and mounting the TV to the top of the desk on a fixed mount (probably with some reinforcement added beneath the desk top). Morryde has a desktop mount that would work.

Anyway, we're going to go over to the rig after bit to take a look see...

Webman9113 04-29-2016 04:32 PM

TV cabinet removed. Going to experiment with an articulating corner mount to see if that works. Note that the TV will be mounted roughly 6" from the desk top with a new Vizio sound bar beneath it. On the wall behind and above we're planning on mounting a panoramic photo from one of our trips, with a soft light behind the TV illuminating it. So, we'll see how all that turns out.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...359e810c34.jpg

Cabinet behind the former sofa bed removed, which will allow the recliners to get a few inches closer to the wall and save some space. I've got some ideas on how to get an articulating mount installed for the outside TV, but need to wait until the recliners arrive (they've been shipped!) so I can see exactly how much space I've got to work with. Time to rough in the platform they'll be sitting on...

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...19575e7178.jpg

ctpres 04-30-2016 07:20 AM

Webman - hate to add to your work but - think about the two outlets under the cabinets. We find they produce an ugly bunch of wire hanging down to powered items on shelf, floor lamp, heater on floor etc. I have plans to add one or two outles down low. From pic looks like window side valance might be eating up a couple recline inches. Our 15 KT came without side valance for rear window. Lyonsl solved the problem see post 1370. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...150811-98.html DW made some of fabric that velcroed to top and were held at bottom with a plastic arm thru pocket in the bottom. https://tweetys.com/side-curtain-hold-down.aspxI like your thinking. Keep the ideas and pic's coming.

Webman9113 04-30-2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3046802)
Webman - hate to add to your work but - think about the two outlets under the cabinets. We find they produce an ugly bunch of wire hanging down to powered items on shelf, floor lamp, heater on floor etc. I have plans to add one or two outles down low.

Do you mean the outlets inside the cabinet to the right of the fireplace? If so, I agree those probably could have been positioned better (with one low on the outside of the cabinet somewhere - that would've been nice), but I don't think are an issue in this case. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to plug in where, but I'll probably put some of the lower amp stuff (like the powered HDMI splitters and IOGear wireless HDMI transmitter) into a power strip and plug that into one of the outlets in the cabinet, but secure the power strip itself and other low/no maintenance bits behind the fireplace (which is actually very easy to remove once you know how). Then it'll just be the TV, VIP612 Dish receiver, and the Blue-Ray player (and possibly the PS4 if I decide to take it) plugged into those receptacles.

Oh, that reminds me: I'm not sure about your model (ours is a 2014.5 KT), but just an FYI. One of the outlets in the right side cabinet says something about the fireplace (like it needs a special circuit or something; I'm not at the rig now and can't remember, but it's a red and white sticker), which sort of leads you to believe that the outlet it's next to is for the fireplace/heater. In fact, the fireplace is plugged into yet another outlet box at the back of the cavity the fireplace is mounted in. The subwoofer for the sound bar was also mounted in there, right on top of 120V cables and one of the junction boxes. No wonder we kept getting interference on the audio, LOL! But it was plugged into the receptacle next to the fireplace/heater sticker. Go figure...

And one last mod idea for that cabinet: I'm going to install a small fan (a pair, one high and one low, more likely) to draw air across the Dish receiver and/or PS4 if I take it. I'll mount them toward the rear of the cabinet and vent them into the heater space, and just probably leave them on at a moderate speed whenever we're on shore power (as we wouldn't have the receiver or PS4 on otherwise).

Quote:

From pic looks like window side valance might be eating up a couple recline inches. Our 15 KT came without side valance for rear window. Lyonsl solved the problem see post 1370. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...150811-98.html DW made some of fabric that velcroed to top and were held at bottom with a plastic arm thru pocket in the bottom. RV Designer Collection Side Curtain Hold DownI like your thinking. Keep the ideas and pic's coming.
Yeah, I addressed the valence issue with CINC-HOUSE, indicating we could get some extra space (depending on clearance to the exterior TV enclosure) if we ditched the valences, but she wants to keep them. Will show her Lyonsl's post to see what she thinks. But I think it probably won't be much of a problem. I figure that by ditching that cabinet I gained around 4" or so even if we keep the valences.

Okay, once I'm done with my Costco hot dog I'll be heading over to the rig. Today's projects: install the Weboost 4G RV and directional antenna, and if I survive that try I'm going to take a crack at adding twin coax leads to the bottom of the driver side slide so I can get dual inputs from our Pathway X2 antenna into the VIP612 receiver...

ctpres 04-30-2016 11:01 AM

Webman re "Do you mean the outlets inside the cabinet to the right of the fireplace?" No. Sorry our KT has two outlets in curb slide that are mounted under the cabinets. Anything plugged in leaves wire hanging down along sides of window.
Re fireplace outlet. One outlet is not on the inverter and that one is just for the fireplace. Ours came with fireplace on inverter. I just moved it to the dedicated single plugin outlet. All the others should be on the inverter.

Webman9113 04-30-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3047174)
Webman re "Do you mean the outlets inside the cabinet to the right of the fireplace?" No. Sorry our KT has two outlets in curb slide that are mounted under the cabinets. Anything plugged in leaves wire hanging down along sides of window.

Ah! Gotcha. I think ours is the same, but we hardly ever use those outlets. But I agree that they're not exactly in the best spot!

Quote:

Re fireplace outlet. One outlet is not on the inverter and that one is just for the fireplace. Ours came with fireplace on inverter. I just moved it to the dedicated single plugin outlet. All the others should be on the inverter.
Okay, I'll have to check that. All the receptacles in ours are double sockets, but I'll double check which isn't on the inverter and make sure the fireplace is plugged into that one.

Webman9113 04-30-2016 05:22 PM

Today's project was installing the Weboost RV 4G cell booster. Since my business relies entirely on the web, having decent internet connectivity is particularly important to us while we're doing our gypsy thing. As I'm sure you all are painfully aware, most RV park wifi networks are terrible, so we usually wind up relying mostly or entirely on our Verizon 4G/LTE. Of course, that has its downside, because the walls of the coach are blocking a lot of the signal, often reducing speed to a crawl. Thus, my decision to invest in a cell booster.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I settled on the Weboost RV 4G. There are other units that I'm sure would work as well, but this just happens to be the one I chose. I also decided to get a different (enclosed yagi directional) external antenna, and I'm glad I did. While I'm satisfied (thus far) that the unit will do what it's supposed to do, the included outdoor antenna is crap. Or, at least, the enclosure is crap, as I haven't tested the antenna itself. The front face of the thing just snaps on - and off - but doesn't have enough mojo to hold together under the slightest stress. Just sticking it into the included mount caused the enclosure face to pop off. Not cool. I'll be sending Weboost a note about that.

Like other typical cell booster systems, this has an external antenna (which I replaced with a directional antenna), which gets your signal to/from the cell tower, the booster unit itself, and an internal antenna that gets the signal to/from your phone inside the coach. I mounted the directional antenna on the TV mast, pirating the RG6 cable that would otherwise have fed on-air TV into the coach. I'll try to remember to post a close-up pic later; you'd think that in half a dozen trips up/down the ladder I would've remembered to take my iPhone for a pic, but, well, senility. I just drilled a couple holes through the trailing bar of the mast and attached the antenna by its included mount with some stainless steel bolts. However, the washers I used weren't nearly big enough, so during another trip to the big box store I'll be getting some bigger ones. And *don't* over tighten the bolts: that antenna mast is made of perilously thin stuff, and it'll just compress on you.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...984f7849f5.jpg

That part was pretty easy, if stinking hot here in Florida at mid-day. Then it was time to find a spot for the booster unit and internal antenna in reach of a coax port and power...and far enough away from the outside antenna that interference wouldn't be a problem.

This is the biggest bugaboo with cell boosters, and the reason why so many people have problems with them. The outside antenna has to be far enough away from both the booster and inside antenna that they don't interfere with one another; the booster has to be a certain distance from the inside antenna for the same reason, and the antennas should never face each other. The only option that sort of gets around some of this is the cradle mount type booster, but I opted to steer clear of those because they can get up to 150 degrees (!). I have an iPhone 6+, and it doesn't like heat.

Anyway, I decided to pirate the coax cable going to the rear TV; the coax for the TVs now will only support park cable, anyway, which we almost never use, so it wasnít much of a loss. Also, the cabinet the bedroom TV is mounted on is, in our coach, never used, as itís a bit of an odd space. But it has everything necessary: a coax feed, power, enough space to separate out the booster and inside antenna, and is totally out of sight. The pic below shows the booster on the left where the coax comes in (I took the coax from the TV antenna, which in our coach is a brown cable, and used a joiner to screw it together with the coax that goes to the bedroom TV), and you can just see the inside antenna poking out on the right side. That antenna is pointing to the back of the coach, away from the outside antenna and the booster. Things are still messy because I havenít tidied up the cables and secured everything yet. My iPhone would go just a few inches to the right of the antenna, sort of in the middle of where the right cabinet door is.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...34bffbcbb0.jpg

Now, if youíre wondering about connecting via wifi to your phone or hotspot and having it all the way at the back of the coach while youíre using your computer up forward, Iíll show you what my plan is for that later. :-)

Anyway, the results of all this messing around: standing well clear of the coach and other obstructions in our RV storage lot, I was getting three bars/dots on my phone, which was talking to a cell tower about 330m away (I know that from the Open Signal app on my phone - awesome app!). Inside the coach, with no boost, I got two. Turning on the booster and putting my phone in the cabinet close to the indoor antenna, I gotÖfour! Dots/bars are really very general indicators, but four is a heck of a lot better than two.

The one gotcha is that if the cell tower is somewhere behind the coach and you have to point the outside antenna rearward, it will likely cause some interference with the inside antenna. I turned the external antenna to face the rear of the coach, and one of the LEDs on the booster went from green to flashing red, meaning it was experience some feedback, if you will, in that signal band. Iíll putter around later with ideas to put up a better ďfenceĒ to further isolate the two antennas, but Iím happy with it for now.

bigdaddy5120 05-01-2016 06:13 AM

I have had it !!

I keep the roof clean, MH waxed but I still get black streaks from AC and rain. Has anyone installed a gutter system to help with this issue . I am looking at this :
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Please share your thoughts , I know I can't be the only one having this problem.

Thanks

Webman9113 05-01-2016 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 3048120)
I keep the roof clean, MH waxed but I still get black streaks from AC and rain. Has anyone installed a gutter system to help with this issue...

I was actually going to look into the same thing. Will be interested to hear what anyone has to say on these...

Webman9113 05-01-2016 01:03 PM

Good news and bad news today on the ongoing project list.

Bad news first: it turns out the VIP612 Dish receiver is *not* compatible with the Pathway X2 (rats, thought I'd checked on that before I ordered it), so I'll be sending that back. A slight disappointment, but not a disaster. So instead of having one unit, I'll put back the VIP211K that we had in there and add the VIP211Z that we've had in a closet for a while, so we can watch one program and record another at the same time (doesn't seem like it should happen a lot, but it does, LOL).

Good news:

1. Getting two RG6 cables into the TV cabinet for the satellite receivers turned out to be easy-peasy. The cable run for that cabinet comes up through the floor on the right side from the forward most basement compartment. I just had to poke the cables through the foam sealant and - presto! - done. Then you just zip tie them to the existing cable run and run them into the cabinet, again, following the cable run, and they come out in the space behind the fireplace.

2. The IOGear Matrix Pro worked great to get HDMI to the TVs. I still have to play around with them more, but if I understand the instructions correctly, you can choose any source for any of the TVs, so you can watch (should you so desire) different things on different TVs. If you use more than one receiver, though, just make sure you go through the pairing process to match the additional receivers to the transmitter.

3. A bonus win for the Weboost RV 4G cell booster + directional antenna mounted to the TV mast: even when it's retracted (the antenna is pointing up like a shark fin, vs. out where it can point at a cell tower), I'm still getting 4 bars vs. 2...

DannyHVAC 05-03-2016 12:13 AM

Young Family hitting the road!

First of all, I'd like to say thank you to the long list of people that have contributed to this thread!

My Wife, 4-year old son, and I have made the decision to explore the country full time... and after much research... we've decided on a 2017 Thor Challenger 37KT. The separate room layout is awesome! We ordered a few weeks ago, and should be accepting delivery early July.

That being said, I welcome any advice you would give a young family hitting the road... and also what MOD's are a must have!

I know I'll need a WiFi/Cell Booster to stay connected with my career, I'm looking at the PDQ Connect One Source system.

Thanks again everyone, and looking forward to future conversations!

KC 05-03-2016 06:19 AM

Welcome aboard Danny and Congrats on the new RV, we love our KT and the layout.

Our unit is newer as well to this point I bought a Progressive EMS system to protect my electrical system. Mine is hardwired.

We also us plastic/rubber tubs to keep water stuff and sewers stuff in, they work well.

I would also suggest going over the Motorhome Magazine to see what you can tow behind your Challenger and get a set up for a Dingy towed. You have around 4k you can tow.

KC

LyonsL 05-03-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3044547)
That's what I hoped to hear! Unfortunately, ours are backordered. I'm just hoping they'll get here before we leave on our trip. But if not, we'll make do and install them when we get back!

Well, you guys convinced me. I ordered the Heritage tan recliners & center consol from Camping World on Friday and they were just delivered this morning! Faster than I anticipated.

Hope to remove the sofa today or tomorrow and install the recliners a.s.a.p.

I'll keep you posted with any problems / solutions & pics.