iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

LyonsL 05-03-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 3048120)
I keep the roof clean, MH waxed but I still get black streaks from AC and rain. Has anyone installed a gutter system to help with this issue . I am looking at this :
Robot Check

Please share your thoughts , I know I can't be the only one having this problem.

Thanks

I also have the same problem. I had our coach professionally cleaned & waxed while we were in Florida this past winter. The guys did an excellent job and gave me some advice concerning the black streaks. They said the streaking is caused by the rubber roof and told me to use "Mop & Glo" on the roof twice a year and that would solve the streaking problem. I haven't tried it yet and would want to get advice from others before applying it but it could be a solution!?!

LyonsL 05-03-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyHVAC (Post 3050982)
First of all, I'd like to say thank you to the long list of people that have contributed to this thread!

My Wife, 4-year old son, and I have made the decision to explore the country full time... and after much research... we've decided on a 2017 Thor Challenger 37KT. The separate room layout is awesome! We ordered a few weeks ago, and should be accepting delivery early July.

That being said, I welcome any advice you would give a young family hitting the road... and also what MOD's are a must have!

I know I'll need a WiFi/Cell Booster to stay connected with my career, I'm looking at the PDQ Connect One Source system.

Thanks again everyone, and looking forward to future conversations!

Congrats on the new coach & welcome to the forums!

We're not full timers but we travel a lot and live in the coach about 7 months during the year. The more we use it, the more mods we make! You will probably do the same.

Hope you enjoy the coach and the new life style!

ctpres 05-03-2016 12:36 PM

DannyHVAC - If you have not already done so - highly recommend reading this thread from day one. There is a wealth of information. As to early mods, I think it best if you use it for a while before jumping on the mod wagon. Keep a list of the interesting ones and be sure it is right for your family before making any changes. Research PDI and know how to test everything BEFORE you sign. Amazing how fast things get fixed during delivery process. Spend first couple days exploring and learning all about your new house on wheels. Open all cabinets, compartments and drawers to see what's in or behind them. Keep a by location list of modules, fuses, tanks, valves etc. Once you start loading her up such things will be much harder to find. Welcome the the Challenger owners thread. Tell us what you like and don't like and take pictures. Questions? Don't hessitate to ask us.

happycamperj 05-04-2016 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 3051122)
Welcome aboard Danny and Congrats on the new RV, we love our KT and the layout.

Our unit is newer as well to this point I bought a Progressive EMS system to protect my electrical system. Mine is hardwired.

We also us plastic/rubber tubs to keep water stuff and sewers stuff in, they work well.

I would also suggest going over the Motorhome Magazine to see what you can tow behind your Challenger and get a set up for a Dingy towed. You have around 4k you can tow.

KC

Glad to see someone else aware of the 4k limit on what you can tow and carry on board. This rig can sure pull something a lot heavier, but is it a good (safe) idea ?

DannyHVAC 05-04-2016 08:29 AM

Thanks KC-
I've added surge protector to my list.

And as far as towing, we will be dinghy towing my wife's 2007 Mini Cooper Convertible. I know BMW and Motorhome Magazine do not really "approve", but several mfgrs make the base plate and I've read about many others towing Mini's successfully. And its only 2800lbs.

ctpres-
I looked up a bunch of info about PDI last night, thank you. I feel much better prepared now.

Webman9113 05-04-2016 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=DannyHVAC;3050982My Wife, 4-year old son, and I have made the decision to explore the country full time... and after much research... we've decided on a 2017 Thor Challenger 37KT. The separate room layout is awesome! We ordered a few weeks ago, and should be accepting delivery early July.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! We love our 37KT - looking forward to the time when we can full-time in it. And you've come to the right place for info/ideas... :-)

Webman9113 05-04-2016 04:17 PM

The recliners from CW arrived today, and boy do they look nice! Seem to be very well made and infinitely more comfortable (from our quick sit test in the living room) than the old sofa bed. Now I just have to wrestle them into the rig and get them installed, along with the center console. Will post pics as I go, but I first want to get the main TV remounted. Unfortunately, no work on the coach today - had to hang around for the freight delivery guy because it's been raining cats and dogs here in Sarasota and I didn't want the chairs to get soaked.

At this point, the major projects I have on my list are:

- Main TV reinstall
- Recliner install
- Set up the second bin on curb side (nearest entry door) to accommodate a litter box and make a kitty door in the stair well
- Install the interior/exterior wifi system
- Build slide/drawers for some of the basement compartments
- Cheap Handling Fix

There are numerous other smaller things (like installing a Harbor Freight air hose reel as a cord reel, as one example), but those are the major ones. I've only got 31 days before we leave for Yellowstone!

happycamperj 05-05-2016 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyHVAC (Post 3052781)
Thanks KC-
I've added surge protector to my list.

And as far as towing, we will be dinghy towing my wife's 2007 Mini Cooper Convertible. I know BMW and Motorhome Magazine do not really "approve", but several mfgrs make the base plate and I've read about many others towing Mini's successfully. And its only 2800lbs.

ctpres-
I looked up a bunch of info about PDI last night, thank you. I feel much better prepared now.

The Mini sounds like a good choice !
:):)

wldracing 05-05-2016 12:37 PM

2015 Challenger 35 HT:House Battery Upgrade

Hey everyone I am in the process of upgrading my batteries. I spend at least 20 weekends a year at a variety of Motocross tracks, which have no hookups. I also do some trips to the Glamis, Ocotillo Wells and again no hookups. With the supplied 2 6v wet cell batteries to power the Residential Fridge, i am limited to how long I can dry camp.

I did a good amount of research and found a great AGM 6v GC-2 battery with a price that is not to crazy. $184 each if 4 ordered. Also they don't require a core exchange for AGM.

2 Year Warranty
Voltage: 6 volt
Capacity: 210Ah
Maintenance Free
Absorbed Glass Mat Technology
CCA: 710A, CA: 855A
Reserve Capacity at 25A: 475 Minutes
Reserve Capacity at 75A: 124 Minutes
Terminal: Dual SAE and 5/16"" Stud

Amstron AP-GC2 Sealed Lead AGM Battery (6V 210Ah)

The AGM batteries dimensions are very close to OEM and will fit in the bay perfectly, just will need a longer ground cable and additional battery cables to put in series/parallel.

I am having 2/0 cables made up. If you need custom cables click on the link below. I have used this company previously and the cables great.
Note: 2/0 is not 2 gauge but 00 gauge which is larger the 2 gauge.

2 0 Gauge AWG Copper Battery Cable Marine Car Truck RV Solar Custom Made | eBay

I will give you an update as soon as I get the cables delivered and get them Installed. I will also add pics of my install so you can see the battery wiring.

Webman9113 05-05-2016 04:33 PM

More TV work today. Moved the old sound bar from the main TV to the bedroom TV. Have to hide the wires and reinforce the mounting (don't trust screws in the thin wood at the bottom of the cabinet), but at least it's off the floor!

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...fd6ea9d333.jpg

Remounted the main TV on a 3/4" plywood sheet with 1x3" supports. After a lot of pondering, I decided that I'm going to make a shelf at the top of the plywood, then extend the "new" cabinet using 1/2" plywood to the ceiling, then cut out a large door to make a cabinet/cubby above the TV. Then I'll probably cover the plywood with black speaker cloth or similar and mount a print of one of my panoramic shots on the new door.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...4aa2a260cc.jpg

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...b268efbdf7.jpg

But I'm going to wait on that until I get the recliners installed. Will start in on that tomorrow...

RichBirk 05-05-2016 05:31 PM

House battery charger

Do the winter stay at a well known RV dealer, it appears my house batteries are toast. Specific gravity is flat lined on all cells. In checking the battery charging, I have found that when engine is running I see over 13 volts across batteries. When shore power of 20 amps is applied, there appears to be no charging voltage across batteries. I thought the inverter was the charger for the batteries. A call to Thor indicated there is a charger in the 2015 Challenger. I checked the breaker and DC breaker and fuses and found no problem. I isolated one of the batteries and connected a battery charger to it and the charger breaker blew in about 3 min. So now I need to find the on board charger and see if there is a reset on the device, install new batteries and all will be good. Has anyone had any adventures with the battery charging system and can provide feedback?

ctpres 05-06-2016 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBirk (Post 3055013)
Do the winter stay at a well known RV dealer, it appears my house batteries are toast. Specific gravity is flat lined on all cells. In checking the battery charging, I have found that when engine is running I see over 13 volts across batteries. When shore power of 20 amps is applied, there appears to be no charging voltage across batteries. I thought the inverter was the charger for the batteries. A call to Thor indicated there is a charger in the 2015 Challenger. I checked the breaker and DC breaker and fuses and found no problem. I isolated one of the batteries and connected a battery charger to it and the charger breaker blew in about 3 min. So now I need to find the on board charger and see if there is a reset on the device, install new batteries and all will be good. Has anyone had any adventures with the battery charging system and can provide feedback?

If the battery store mode was selected the batteries would not be charged.
Did you check battery store switch located in stairwell? Don't remember exactly but think if battery control center/BCC is in store mode there must be something like 10.6 or more volts on house batteries before the relay will switch to use mode.

wldracing 05-06-2016 08:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBirk (Post 3055013)

The converter and alternator charges the batteries depending if you are driving or plugged into shoreline. Check the 100 amp fuse in the battery bay. Press the red button then push the fuse in. There is also a 50 amp reset button on a grey small box in the BCC. This is located at the bottom left of the BCC. The BCC is located in the front right side (if you are facing the front of the coach) of the coach in the engine compartment. See attachments for BCC troubleshooting and diagram. Before trouble shooting disconnect the negative from the Chassis Battery See the troubleshooting guide to check voltages at certain points to verify voltage. If you are not getting 12v at the BCC before the disconnect there is a problem before the BCC. If you are handy with a voltmeter you can troubleshoot this.
Note: Troubleshoot at your own risk

Webman9113 05-06-2016 01:26 PM

Recliner installation

Here are some pics of test fitting one of recliners and center console we bought from Camping World for our 2014.5 37KT to replace the sofa bed. My only concern right now is whether I'll be able to both chairs and the console into the space. It *should* fit, but it's going to be awfully close. Worst case, we'll have to do without the console...

View with the slide in - plenty of walking room.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...6dab998322.jpg

View with the slide out.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...c3b40c3dd3.jpg

The full upright chair back is maybe 1.5-2" from the valence and roughly 6" from the wall. Note that this is with the chair just sitting on the floor on its feet. I need to add a support platform of 3/4" plywood under the frame (not the feet) that'll maybe raise it half an inch or so.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...8e6a2cab1d.jpg

Recliner put all the way back/extended, slide out. In this position the top of the back is roughly 1" from the wall and maybe the same from the top of the TV box, which I'm planning on removing this weekend so I can try and install an articulating mount for the TV. The front feet on the recliner frame are about 3" beyond the front edge of the slide.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...c37d19f5d0.jpg

A view of the clearance with the chair extended all the way.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...bcfdce2a81.jpg

A view of the slide looking forward so you can see the height/clearance involved. It's about 4" from the main floor to the top of the slide floor.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...f7960c98ba.jpg