iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Webman9113 05-06-2016 01:28 PM

Does anyone have a CB radio mounted in their Challenger? I've got a Cobra from one of our former RVs and would like to install it in our 37KT, but can't decide where. Also, any tips on where to tie in to the 12V system and/or install an antenna? I was assuming a Firestik, but am open to suggestions...

ctpres 05-06-2016 03:21 PM

Webman - looking good. Ideas - I was planning to use angle iron to support front legs, each piece would reach from back foot to front foot. Much thinner. As for cleaning up the cutout on slide floor. Looks like some mitered 1x4 nice wood to frame the cutout and cover the front. With a little luck it would stain to match cabinets. If top of the side window valances could be cut off a couple inches - raising the bottom - would that help? How about a charging station the the console storage?

Webman9113 05-06-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3056316)
Webman - looking good. Ideas - I was planning to use angle iron to support front legs, each piece would reach from back foot to front foot. Much thinner. As for cleaning up the cutout on slide floor. Looks like some mitered 1x4 nice wood to frame the cutout and cover the front. With a little luck it would stain to match cabinets. If top of the side window valances could be cut off a couple inches - raising the bottom - would that help? How about a charging station the the console storage?

Thanks! Can you explain your angle iron idea a bit more? I can't quite visualize what you mean.

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do to pretty up the slide base edges, but the wood would certainly be an option and would be easy enough to do. I was also thinking of finding something like black lawn edging (just as an example) to make sort of a skirt around the edge.

I think I'm going to leave the valences alone at this point. With the recliners fully extended, the top of the back is about 1" from the slide wall, so I don't think there's any point in trying to move the recliner closer. But taking the wall cabinet out definitely gained a lot of space.

ctpres 05-06-2016 05:48 PM

Webman - Angle iron. Maybe 1x1 and about 1/8" thick. Two pieces per chair and probably console. One end starts at rear foot and extends over the front edge far enough to support the front foot. Think rail that chairs would slide on twords the TV enclosure. One side of angle iron screwed or bolted to floor and the other standing vertical on outside edge of chair. Actually if front foot overhang not excessive maybe and 12 to 18" or so long piece would be enough. Dinner is served - will think some more.

Webman9113 05-06-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3056461)
Webman - Angle iron. Maybe 1x1 and about 1/8" thick. Two pieces per chair and probably console. One end starts at rear foot and extends over the front edge far enough to support the front foot. Think rail that chairs would slide on twords the TV enclosure. One side of angle iron screwed or bolted to floor and the other standing vertical on outside edge of chair. Actually if front foot overhang not excessive maybe and 12 to 18" or so long piece would be enough. Dinner is served - will think some more.

Ahhh, okay. Gotcha. Something like this from HD, maybe? Okay, I'll toy with that. I think that would work as long as the chair rails stay "inside" the boundary of the floor, which they seem to be. Should also be able to secure the chair to the rail, at least in the front, with screws that go into the outer set of feet. Those are just attached to the front/rear rails; the inner feet have screws that actually help hold the bottom of the chairs together. If that doesn't fit, I suppose it's nothing that a drill and a few bolts can't fix... :)

Webman9113 05-06-2016 06:28 PM

Oh, one thing just struck me about the rail idea: the two sets of cables that run up from the middle of the slide floor will likely interfere with the inner rails. That's why I was thinking about the plywood platform to begin with, because the rails on the chair need to clear the cables. And, at least in our rig, there is NO slack in the cables to move them out of the way. But I'll double check when I go to the rig tomorrow...

ctpres 05-07-2016 05:48 AM

Webman - For strength and looks I was thinking solid angle like this
Crown Bolt 1 in. x 72 in. Plain Steel Angle with 1/8 in. Thick-42050 - The Home Depot
The wire on floor may end up being biggest problem.
Only the aft end chair angle would show much - thin piece of wood trim would solve that.

gavaman 05-07-2016 08:41 AM

Are you saying there was a recal on the fire extinguisher

Webman9113 05-07-2016 06:19 PM

Was hoping to get the recliners installed today, but my clever plans ran afoul of reality. After fiddling around quite a bit, I decided I'm going to have to go back to my original plan and lay down a plywood "over-floor" with cutouts for the cables that run up through the slide floor. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

But the good news is that the CW recliners and center console fit perfectly in the curb side slide of the 2014.5 37KT (width a tad over 68"). That was my biggest worry, because the dimensions were really close. I'd post a pic, but I'm having trouble pulling it over from my phone. The joys of technology...

LyonsL 05-07-2016 08:07 PM

Replacing the sofa with recliners & center console

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3057796)
Was hoping to get the recliners installed today, but my clever plans ran afoul of reality. After fiddling around quite a bit, I decided I'm going to have to go back to my original plan and lay down a plywood "over-floor" with cutouts for the cables that run up through the slide floor. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

But the good news is that the CW recliners and center console fit perfectly in the curb side slide of the 2014.5 37KT (width a tad over 68"). That was my biggest worry, because the dimensions were really close. I'd post a pic, but I'm having trouble pulling it over from my phone. The joys of technology...

Webman9113 & ctpres, I want to thank you for all of the postings and suggestions about replacing the sofa with recliners & a center console. It's been on my wish list since I bought the coach but I didn't have enough information to get it done.

I decided not to remove the cabinet behind the sofa and I also left 2 of the seat belts for possible future use. I decided to install 2 pieces of 3/4" X 24" X 24" plywood to mount the recliners on and it worked out great. I liked ctpres' suggestion to use angle iron but the plywood gave me the extra height that I needed to clear the electrical cables (which run under the center console).

I'm not finished with the project yet but the recliners are installed and we love them. I think I'm just going to install some wooden trim around the base and paint it black.

Although the recliners sit higher than the sofa did, it is very easy to get in & out of them. Since I did not remove the cabinet behind the sofa and I mounted the recliners on plywood, the seats are 3-1/2" higher and stick out into the living room an additional 7" compared to the sofa. That might seem like a lot but it is not that noticeable!

Also, the color of the recliners matches the piping on the driver & passenger captain's chairs. As a bonus, we now have some extra storage space behind the recliners and under them! It's a win-win for us.

jpmihalk 05-07-2016 08:16 PM

LyonsL, looks awesome. Enjoy!!

DMcRaney 05-07-2016 09:28 PM

Loft bunk stuck

I have a 2014 Thor Challenger 37GT. Spent the day getting it ready and ran into a big problem with the loft bunk. We where showing our little girl where she will be sleeping (this was actually one of the reasons we got it, she is just now big enough for it) came down great.

She played up there for a few minutes and we went to put it back up. It started to go back up and made it maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inchwhen the passanger side just stopped. It seems like it has something jammed in there. We can then put it back down no problem.

Has anyone run into a problem like this? Ideas?I am going to work on it tomorrow. I was thinking about firt trying to pull the power from that side and see if I can push it up (barring any ideas from you good folks.)

If that does not work I will have to look at taking it apart. This is something I don't want to do, because while I can take things apart like a champ, my track record putting things back is spotty

Webman9113 05-07-2016 09:37 PM

That looks great! You wound up with something similar to what I'm planning to do. Question, though: how did you secure the chairs to the plywood or floor? I haven't quite figured that out yet... :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3057937)
Webman9113 & ctpres, I want to thank you for all of the postings and suggestions about replacing the sofa with recliners & a center console. It's been on my wish list since I bought the coach but I didn't have enough information to get it done.

I decided not to remove the cabinet behind the sofa and I also left 2 of the seat belts for possible future use. I decided to install 2 pieces of 3/4" X 24" X 24" plywood to mount the recliners on and it worked out great. I liked ctpres' suggestion to use angle iron but the plywood gave me the extra height that I needed to clear the electrical cables (which run under the center console).

I'm not finished with the project yet but the recliners are installed and we love them. I think I'm just going to install some wooden trim around the base and paint it black.

Although the recliners sit higher than the sofa did, it is very easy to get in & out of them. Since I did not remove the cabinet behind the sofa and I mounted the recliners on plywood, the seats are 3-1/2" higher and stick out into the living room an additional 7" compared to the sofa. That might seem like a lot but it is not that noticeable!

Also, the color of the recliners matches the piping on the driver & passenger captain's chairs. As a bonus, we now have some extra storage space behind the recliners and under them! It's a win-win for us.

sbleiweiss 05-08-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavaman (Post 3057144)
Are you saying there was a recal on the fire extinguisher

Not sure who you were addressing this to, but yes. Go to the fire extinguisher's manufacturer's website for information and a replacement.