iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Webman9113 05-08-2016 01:11 PM

The recliners are in! Thanks to LyonsL for the tip on the 2x2x3/4 plywood panels. That was sort of the direction I was moving in, anyway, but they had them precut at HD, so that made it easy. I had to cut out a channel in each one for the cables, then screwed the panels into the floor. Just as with LyonsL's, the chairs fit perfectly. I'm going to secure them with bolts in the front and hex head screws in the back, with 1/2" spacers between the wood and chair railing. I haven't done that yet, because I need to move them out of the way so I can fit the new outside TV mount (have to wait a few days on that, as I ordered the wrong one from Amazon and have to get the next larger size). I'm also planning to put the sound bar subwoofer behind the chairs to get a little rumble... ;-)

Platform panels...
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...9ab06a6c04.jpg

Recliners (slide out)...
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...fabb62919b.jpg

Recliners (slides in)...
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...bae534b90e.jpg

KC 05-08-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3058936)
The recliners are in! Thanks to LyonsL for the tip on the 2x2x3/4 plywood panels. That was sort of the direction I was moving in, anyway, but they had them precut at HD, so that made it easy. I had to cut out a channel in each one for the cables, then screwed the panels into the floor. Just as with LyonsL's, the chairs fit perfectly. I'm going to secure them with bolts in the front and hex head screws in the back, with 1/2" spacers between the wood and chair railing. I haven't done that yet, because I need to move them out of the way so I can fit the new outside TV mount (have to wait a few days on that, as I ordered the wrong one from Amazon and have to get the next larger size). I'm also planning to put the sound bar subwoofer behind the chairs to get a little rumble... ;-)

Platform panels...
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...9ab06a6c04.jpg

Recliners (slide out)...
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...fabb62919b.jpg

Recliners (slides in)...
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...bae534b90e.jpg

Please post a photo with both slides out:)

KC

gavaman 05-08-2016 02:05 PM

Recliner

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3057937)
Webman9113 & ctpres, I want to thank you for all of the postings and suggestions about replacing the sofa with recliners & a center console. It's been on my wish list since I bought the coach but I didn't have enough information to get it done.

I decided not to remove the cabinet behind the sofa and I also left 2 of the seat belts for possible future use. I decided to install 2 pieces of 3/4" X 24" X 24" plywood to mount the recliners on and it worked out great. I liked ctpres' suggestion to use angle iron but the plywood gave me the extra height that I needed to clear the electrical cables (which run under the center console).

I'm not finished with the project yet but the recliners are installed and we love them. I think I'm just going to install some wooden trim around the base and paint it black.
Although the recliners sit higher than the sofa did, it is very easy to get in & out of them. Since I did not remove the cabinet behind the sofa and I mounted the recliners on plywood, the seats are 3-1/2" higher and stick out into the living room an additional 7" compared to the sofa. That might seem like a lot but it is not that noticeable!

Also, the color of the recliners matches the piping on the driver & passenger captain's chairs. As a bonus, we now have some extra storage space behind the recliners and under them! It's a win-win for us.

Where did you get the recliners and the cost?

Webman9113 05-08-2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 3058951)
Please post a photo with both slides out:)
KC

Will do, next time I'm at the rig, which will be tomorrow, LOL! But there's LOTS of room with both slides out, even with the recliners full back/footrests out. We were using footstools with the old sofa bed, and I don't think the footrests are any farther out...

Webman9113 05-08-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavaman (Post 3058988)

I got mine at Camping World on sale, from the Heritage collection, although they have others like these. :cool:

ctpres 05-08-2016 03:14 PM

OK Webman - they look fantastic. The one burning question I have is, how high are the seats and are you having any difficulty getting in or out of recliners. Guess with that we need to know about how tall you and DW are. Again great looking. Bet you both are looking fwd to many comfy hours of reading, naping and TV viewing in the new recliners.

Webman9113 05-08-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3059060)
OK Webman - they look fantastic. The one burning question I have is, how high are the seats and are you having any difficulty getting in or out of recliners. Guess with that we need to know about how tall you and DW are. Again great looking. Bet you both are looking fwd to many comfy hours of reading, naping and TV viewing in the new recliners.

I didn't want to go back to the house, LOL!

They now sit higher than normal chairs, obviously. I'm 6' 1" and my feet dangle if I just sit on the edge of the chair. My wife is 5' 2" and hasn't had a chance to test sit, but obviously her feet will dangle farther.

However, that's only a potential issue getting in/out, and I would say only for someone who has mobility issues, regardless of height. Once you're in the chair and kick back, it's all good. :cool:

LyonsL 05-08-2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavaman (Post 3058988)

gavaman, Camping World has them on sale right now. They are the Heritage Beckham Tan recliners and center console. I highly recommend them!
Search - beckham - Camping World

LyonsL 05-08-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3059060)

ctpres, my factory sofa seat is 20-1/2" high. The new recliners are 24" high. I'm only 5'8" & the DW is 5'4" and we have no problem getting in or out of the recliners. Your feet will probably be off the floor when seated but if you simply lean forward you can stand easily.

Also, when both slides are out, I have 60" of space between the front of the recliners and the fireplace. Webman9113 removed the cabinet behind the sofa so he probably has 3 or 4" more.

LyonsL 05-08-2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3058037)
That looks great! You wound up with something similar to what I'm planning to do. Question, though: how did you secure the chairs to the plywood or floor? I haven't quite figured that out yet... :-)

Sorry for the late response but I see that you figured it out. I did the same and used #12 X 2" stainless steel hex screws in the back rails and bolts, washers & nuts in the front rails.

Thanks again for all of the posts!

RichBirk 05-09-2016 06:57 AM

LyonsL

Your recliners look great. It looks as if you did not modify the cup shelf nor the external TV enclosure. Will the recliners recline with the limited space? I think it is only 28" on ours 2015.

richbirk

Webman9113 05-09-2016 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3059476)
Sorry for the late response but I see that you figured it out. I did the same and used #12 X 2" stainless steel hex screws in the back rails and bolts, washers & nuts in the front rails.

Thanks again for all of the posts!

Great minds think alike! :D

Today's project is (hopefully) installing the full motion mount for the exterior TV. I'm using an Omnimount Play20X. *Technically* I should probably use the 25X (the number representing the weight in pounds the mount can support with full motion), but the TV is right on the limit and I'm not really worried about the mount supporting it in anything but the full "down" position. That's where it would be any time it's opened up, because the factory mount position is just too high for comfortable viewing (at least for me). It would have been better if the TV at least tilted down, but there's not enough clearance inside the mounting box even for that.

So, today we'll get into a bit of metal cutting, as I'll have to remove a substantial portion of the back of the TV enclosure so the arm will fit through...

LyonsL 05-09-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBirk (Post 3059865)
LyonsL

Your recliners look great. It looks as if you did not modify the cup shelf nor the external TV enclosure. Will the recliners recline with the limited space? I think it is only 28" on ours 2015.

richbirk

Rich, that's correct, I left the shelf and cabinet in place. I positioned the recliners so that they would fully recline without rubbing against the shelf or cabinet. I'm not sure what your limited space of 28" refers to. If you can clarify, I will gladly answer your question.

M72561 05-10-2016 04:36 AM

Recliners

I'm kinda late to this thread but really want to get rid of my sofa also.Did the old sofa and the new recliners fit through the door.