iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

JerryP 05-18-2016 01:25 PM

Recliner Dimension Questions

Webman9113:

The recliners look great. When they are reclined, what's the distance between the top of the footrest and the floor. I have a dining table across from the recliners and I want to make sure the footrest will fit under them.

Lippert suggests 1.5" spacing from the top of the recliner and the wall. When the recliner is actually reclined, does the sofa use this space?

Thanks,

Jerry

Webman9113 05-18-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryP (Post 3074142)
Webman9113:

The recliners look great. When they are reclined, what's the distance between the top of the footrest and the floor. I have a dining table across from the recliners and I want to make sure the footrest will fit under them.

Lippert suggests 1.5" spacing from the top of the recliner and the wall. When the recliner is actually reclined, does the sofa use this space?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry -

I'll try to remember to measure that the next time I'm at the rig (probably tomorrow). I'm going to toss out a guess of maybe 18" or so, footrest to floor, but will confirm.

As for the spacing from the wall, 1.5" is correct per documentation, although that's probably cutting it a little tight. I think it does use that space in the fully reclined position, but to be honest I'd recommend that you actually test it to make sure.

Troll Killer 05-19-2016 03:52 PM

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot.... Feel free to move it if so.. I was also considering a gas power rv... I would be towing around 5k lbs... I had concerns in the mountains.. I obviously know it will be slow going. That is fine.. But is it a safety issue.. Also how do those v10's hold up over time .. I know they get "dogged" pretty hard

tedgard01 05-19-2016 05:35 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troll Killer (Post 3075870)
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot.... Feel free to move it if so.. I was also considering a gas power rv... I would be towing around 5k lbs... I had concerns in the mountains.. I obviously know it will be slow going. That is fine.. But is it a safety issue.. Also how do those v10's hold up over time .. I know they get "dogged" pretty hard

This post is more specific to the Thor Challenger owners. You may get some feedback form this group, they are generally a helpful group.

You may get a better general response though if you post this in one of these two forums; iRV2 Community Forums > General Discussion, or the Motorhome Forums > Class A Discussions forum.

Regardless, I have had two Class A coaches, both were gassers, always towed a vehicle, never a problem.

A few additional thoughts are;

1) Buy the most you can afford, to enjoy the ride.
2) Look at many models, and floor plans before narrowing you scope.
3) Compare coaches of a similar type (apples to apples) once you decide on the entry level you want to buy in.

Don't start out comparing $500K coaches to $100K coaches, unless you can afford a $500K coach. Then compare a $500K coach to other $500K coaches.

I love my Challenger, and comparing to the other's in the same class, I have not found any with the floor plan I like, nor any better construction or durability.

The Ford V-10 is about the main engine in these coaches, and it is tried and true, with a long history of durability. On the other hand, if you look at 2007 or earlier models, a Chevrolet Workhorse engine with an Alison transmission was a great combo.

There are a lot of posts that will pit diesels against gassers, so you can review them for those thought on that subject. But in my openion, the cost difference in this class of coach did not persuade me to make the move. This also depends on many other factors;

1) What is your expectations for how long you will use your coach (10 years, 20years, less, more...)?
2) What is your camping plan (weekend warrior, long trips of thousands of miles with little downtime, staying in one place for months at a time)?

sbleiweiss 05-20-2016 10:50 AM

LED Ceiling Lights

Our 2014.5 KT came with 17 ceiling lights that were manufactured by Gustafson Lighting. They are 4 inch diameter, frosted glass covered LED fixtures with 18 chip bulbs. The bulbs can't be replaced separately. The entire fixture has to be replaced. We have several failing. They flicker and not all of the chips light. Gustafson no longer makes the same fixture, although they do have a replacement that has 15 instead of 18 chips and a more difficult clipping into the ceiling mechanism. They want $25.30 each for them.

Has anyone else experienced this bulb failure and found a better solution? It sure would be nice to have ones where you could replace just the bulb.

ctpres 05-20-2016 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3076976)
Our 2014.5 KT came with 17 ceiling lights that were manufactured by Gustafson Lighting. They are 4 inch diameter, frosted glass covered LED fixtures with 18 chip bulbs. The bulbs can't be replaced separately. The entire fixture has to be replaced. We have several failing. They flicker and not all of the chips light. Gustafson no longer makes the same fixture, although they do have a replacement that has 15 instead of 18 chips and a more difficult clipping into the ceiling mechanism. They want $25.30 each for them.

Has anyone else experienced this bulb failure and found a better solution? It sure would be nice to have ones where you could replace just the bulb.

Shop Ebay for SMD LED panel - look like this attached pic. Just remove old light panel and wire in new. Different colors like warm and white and soft or bright lights. Just buy one or two as test before buying enough for the whole project. These were only $17.98 for ten. As cheap as $1.98 for just one. They have double stick tape on back.

Webman9113 05-20-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryP (Post 3074142)
Webman9113:

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry - the distance from floor to top of the recliner is 23-24"...

tedgard01 05-20-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3077231)
Shop Ebay for SMD LED panel - look like this attached pic. Just remove old light panel and wire in new. Different colors like warm and white and soft or bright lights. Just buy one or two as test before buying enough for the whole project. These were only $17.98 for ten. As cheap as $1.98 for just one. They have double stick tape on back.

Chuck, when you say to wire them in, are you using the old frosted lense? What is involved in wiring then in?

ctpres 05-21-2016 05:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 3077672)
Chuck, when you say to wire them in, are you using the old frosted lense? What is involved in wiring then in?

Sorry - I did not say enough. I have not had any lights fail yet but I am expecting it. Already bought some light panels like in the picture. My "plan" is to remove light fixture from ceiling and disconnect or cutwire several inches away from fixture. Best to find factory connection if possible to minimize the number of connections. Remove old light panel from fixture - suspect it will be secured with double stick tape. Wire on new panel will not be long enough to work with outside of fixture so connect to old wire and reinstall. LED's are polarity sensitive - if new one does not work just reverse the connections. BTW if you park for many days at a time - use the battery disconnect after the second or third day. Voltage supplied by charger will be lower resulting in longer LED life. LED panels also avaible in round for under $2 each.

LyonsL 05-21-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 3075994)

...Regardless, I have had two Class A coaches, both were gassers, always towed a vehicle, never a problem.

3) Compare coaches of a similar type (apples to apples) once you decide on the entry level you want to buy in.

Don't start out comparing $500K coaches to $100K coaches, unless you can afford a $500K coach. Then compare a $500K coach to other $500K coaches.

I love my Challenger, and comparing to the other's in the same class, I have not found any with the floor plan I like, nor any better construction or durability.

The Ford V-10 is about the main engine in these coaches, and it is tried and true, with a long history of durability. On the other hand, if you look at 2007 or earlier models, a Chevrolet Workhorse engine with an Alison transmission was a great combo.

There are a lot of posts that will pit diesels against gassers, so you can review them for those thought on that subject. But in my openion, the cost difference in this class of coach did not persuade me to make the move. This also depends on many other factors;

1) What is your expectations for how long you will use your coach (10 years, 20years, less, more...)?
2) What is your camping plan (weekend warrior, long trips of thousands of miles with little downtime, staying in one place for months at a time)?

tedgard01, I completely agree and could not have said it any better myself!

Troll Killer 05-22-2016 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 3075994)
This post is more specific to the Thor Challenger owners. You may get some feedback form this group, they are generally a helpful group.

You may get a better general response though if you post this in one of these two forums; iRV2 Community Forums > General Discussion, or the Motorhome Forums > Class A Discussions forum.

Regardless, I have had two Class A coaches, both were gassers, always towed a vehicle, never a problem.

I do thank you... Where the two gas coaches you had very big? And do you know the weight.. Or were they a quality coach... One other option (looking at the dutch star)Is the Tiffin allegro gas.. Figure might be good to get some wheel time behind something less expensive since I have never driven an RV .. May be a bit much to jump right into a 40 foot pulling 20 foot trailer.... Not decided completely as im a quick learn... I like the idea of the allegro... But it doesn't list UVW.. So not sure how close to gvwr (24,000) the sa32 is.. I know it likely is a heavy rig for a gas... Also as long as I can keep it under the gcwr?(might have letters wrong)can I upgrade the hitch. Not familiar with metal work

tedgard01 05-22-2016 07:08 AM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troll Killer (Post 3079300)
I do thank you... Where the two gas coaches you had very big? And do you know the weight.. Or were they a quality coach... One other option (looking at the dutch star)Is the Tiffin allegro gas.. Figure might be good to get some wheel time behind something less expensive since I have never driven an RV .. May be a bit much to jump right into a 40 foot pulling 20 foot trailer.... Not decided completely as im a quick learn... I like the idea of the allegro... But it doesn't list UVW.. So not sure how close to gvwr (24,000) the sa32 is.. I know it likely is a heavy rig for a gas... Also as long as I can keep it under the gcwr?(might have letters wrong)can I upgrade the hitch. Not familiar with metal work

I am not the one to answer all those questions... So I will let others answer...

My two coaches were 35' and 38', and I towed a Ford Escape Hybrid on the first, but now tow a Honda CR-V...

With both set ups, I was under 25,000 lbs. My current set up is;

RV Front Axle: = 6,610 lbs
RV Rear Axle: =14,230 lbs
-----------
RV Total: = 20,840 lbs

Honda CR-V: = 3,800 lbs
------------
Total weight: = 24,640 lbs

bigben 05-22-2016 10:48 AM

Troll Killer - you gotten good advise. I would like to comment on your 20' trailer (if I read your post correctly). A good many of the longer gas chassises are either on a 22k or 24k chassis. I'd make sure I did the math at how much weight your are adding to the GVWR. Just a 20' trailer alone would be fairly heavy. So do the math of how much your total weight would be before you make any decisions.

Just my 2 cents.

Troll Killer 05-23-2016 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigben (Post 3079822)
Troll Killer - you gotten good advise. I would like to comment on your 20' trailer (if I read your post correctly). A good many of the longer gas chassises are either on a 22k or 24k chassis. I'd make sure I did the math at how much weight your are adding to the GVWR. Just a 20' trailer alone would be fairly heavy. So do the math of how much your total weight would be before you make any decisions.

Just my 2 cents.

ARRRRGGGHHHH... Wrote a fairly long post breaking every down and it didnt post :( ... Well im not writing it again... Will just say ty for the info but I was already aware and already figured out the weights