iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Webman9113 05-26-2016 04:37 PM

Ways to stay warm?

Hey, folks! I need some suggestions on options to heat our coach (2014.5 37KT) beyond the furnace. We're leaving for Yellowstone on 4 June, and it's a bit cooler (ahem) there than where we typically travel. The few times where we've been anywhere cold enough to use it, the furnace in our Challenger seems to come on at every possible opportunity (like ever 30 seconds, LOL).

Anyway, I think we're okay up front in the living room between the electric fireplace heater and our Rug Buddy (which covers the floor vent), but I'd like to get some sort of electric heater(s) for the bedroom, at least. Anyone have any suggestions??

tedgard01 05-26-2016 04:58 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3086835)
Hey, folks! I need some suggestions on options to heat our coach (2014.5 37KT) beyond the furnace. ...

Go to Wall-Mart. You can get a couple small Comfort Zone heaters for ~$20 ea. They have three settings (fan, low, high) and a thermostat, with a tip over and over heat auto shut off for safety.. I use the low (for lower amp draw) and mid thermostat, with one up front and one toward the back. I can keep the whole coach at ~72 degrees in below freezing weather. My coach furnace does not come on at all, which makes for a better sleep... I use propane for cooking on the stove or grill, that's all.

Btw, I even use one in the water bay and hook it up to the 110 outlet. On the lowest setting, it will keep the bay at ~65 degrees down in the negative degrees... Then on the other bay with the tanks, fold up a heating blanket and stick it between the bay door and the tanks, and using the medium or high setting it will keep that bay at ~57 degrees down to negative temps...

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a couple of remote thermometers and put one in each bay, with the monitor in the coach (or in the house when home) and you can simply look at the monitor to track what the temp is inside each bay and in the coach... I don't winterize eithe, as I use my coach even in the winter. I even have an extra heater in reserve, in the event one goes out.

Webman9113 05-26-2016 07:20 PM

Cool, thanks for that! Think I'll wander over to Wal-Mart tomorrow and pick up a couple. I'm hoping we won't need more than that to keep our teeth from chattering... ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 3086852)
Go to Wall-Mart. You can get a couple small Comfort Zone heaters for ~$20 ea. They have three settings (fan, low, high) and a thermostat, with a tip over and over heat auto shut off for safety.. I use the low (for lower amp draw) and mid thermostat, with one up front and one toward the back. I can keep the whole coach at ~72 degrees in below freezing weather. My coach furnace does not come on at all, which makes for a better sleep... I use propane for cooking on the stove or grill, that's all.

Btw, I even use one in the water bay and hook it up to the 110 outlet. On the lowest setting, it will keep the bay at ~65 degrees down in the negative degrees... Then on the other bay with the tanks, fold up a heating blanket and stick it between the bay door and the tanks, and using the medium or high setting it will keep that bay at ~57 degrees down to negative temps...

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a couple of remote thermometers and put one in each bay, with the monitor in the coach (or in the house when home) and you can simply look at the monitor to track what the temp is inside each bay and in the coach... I don't winterize eithe, as I use my coach even in the winter. I even have an extra heater in reserve, in the event one goes out.

ctpres 05-27-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3087045)
Cool, thanks for that! Think I'll wander over to Wal-Mart tomorrow and pick up a couple. I'm hoping we won't need more than that to keep our teeth from chattering... ;-)

Don't put two heaters on same circuit. Breaker will trip. Washer dryer prep uses two independent 15 amp circuits. I moved one outlet to side wall of pantry so now I can run two heater full blast without tripping a breaker. Just be sure one heater is on the general pourpose 15 amp circuit - not GFI that way you can even make coffee with two heaters full on.

sbleiweiss 05-27-2016 08:17 AM

Everything Tedgard said, plus, put a heat diverter on the furnace register by the kitchen/bathroom. It will spread the warm air and keep it from so quickly rising straight up to the thermostat and cycling the furnace so often.

Rsapp 05-27-2016 11:25 AM

Anybody know the thread number for repairing the rear roof ladder on a 2015 Challenger? Yep I did it low drive outside Atlanta and it took the bottom 1' and I want to put in the folding bracket that somebody posted on here to fix it.

Thanks for the help. Russell Sapp

tedgard01 05-27-2016 04:17 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

That ladder is so low, no wonder it gets caught.... It should be a recall item, so many people do it...

Webman9113 05-28-2016 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3087476)
Don't put two heaters on same circuit. Breaker will trip. Washer dryer prep uses two independent 15 amp circuits. I moved one outlet to side wall of pantry so now I can run two heater full blast without tripping a breaker. Just be sure one heater is on the general pourpose 15 amp circuit - not GFI that way you can even make coffee with two heaters full on.

Right, gotcha. Moving the outlet would make sense, but I'll have to save that for later - aside from getting the chassis and generator maintenance done, fixing the water pump (it's not getting power), doing the CHF, and finishing off the new "wall" behind the TV, I'm sorta burned out on fixing things and just want to hit the road, LOL.

And sbleiweiss, good call - that diverter was one of the first things I changed. You could roast a turkey in the bathroom and freeze another in the bedroom with the way they have the furnace heat distributed. Oy.

Anyway, with the help of a couple of those little heaters I think we'll be fine. It looks like the lows for the Yellowstone area are in the 30s now and expected to climb into the 40s. So hopefully we won't turn into popsicles. Of course, now I have to go get some cool/cold weather clothes: about all I have now here in Florida are shorts and t-shirts!

sbleiweiss 05-29-2016 12:30 PM

Help with Lippert Slide - Stuck

We were all ready to hit the road from an RV Park this morning, only to find that one slide would not come in. It binds on one end within an inch or so of the extended position. Can anyone help? We can't reach Thor or Lippert on Memorial Day Sunday. Maybe private message me? Thanks.

KC 05-29-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3090367)
We were all ready to hit the road from an RV Park this morning, only to find that one slide would not come in. It binds on one end within an inch or so of the extended position. Can anyone help? We can't reach Thor or Lippert on Memorial Day Sunday. Maybe private message me? Thanks.

Did you try Thor Emergency number?

KC

sbleiweiss 05-29-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 3090372)
Did you try Thor Emergency number?

KC

Yes, closed for holiday. Grrrr.

Scarab0088 05-29-2016 02:35 PM

I am assuming your Challenger has the Schwintek slide drive. Since you do not mention anything being broken, you should be able to simply re-sync the 2 side drives...these slide drives are power hungry, so ensure the batteries are good, or you're on shore power with the converter/charger on, or start the generator...and whenever the slide hits full open (or closed), ALWAYS hold the button for 2-3 seconds to let the controllers sense the stop...see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSafAnjxIV4

If this does not work, you can manually overide the controller and retract the slide to get home...or manually disengage the motors to push the slide in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGL4aILZYcY

And:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xojUdPDWNS0

Best luck

MisterT 05-29-2016 03:00 PM

-run it in and out several times, or as far as it will go each time, and make sure to hold the button several seconds past full retraction or extraction to allow the motors to sinc.
-you can unplug both connectors, which are probably in the bay below the slide, from the controller. this will allow you to try to manually push the slide back in, or far enough to get past any binding. then replug the connectors back and try again.
-you can override the controller by using a pen or gymclip to push in the reset button for, I believe, 7times, with the 7th time holding it in until the light blinks. then try to run in the slide again... this override allows the motors to run full-out and may allow it to get past any binding.
-you can also have folks to help try to push in the corner while you press the button, it may help as well...

marco1b 05-29-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3090364)

I had a similar problem on my bedroom slide. I got my ladder to access the motor from the outside. While I could not get at the connection where the wire harness connects to the motor, I was able to wiggle the wires close to where the connection to the motor is made and the slide started working and has been working for the last 5 or 6 uses. Not a long term fix but may get your slide back in.

Good Luck,