iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Webman9113 05-29-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3090367)
We were all ready to hit the road from an RV Park this morning, only to find that one slide would not come in. It binds on one end within an inch or so of the extended position. Can anyone help? We can't reach Thor or Lippert on Memorial Day Sunday. Maybe private message me? Thanks.

If it's one of the electrically driven slides (as opposed to the main/cable slide), check that all the screws in the drive tracks - or whatever they're called - are seated properly. Something like this happened to us two years ago with the forward driver's side slide, and it turned out to be one of these screws that had come loose enough to bind against the coach wall when the slide was brought in.

rvbunz 05-29-2016 06:45 PM

Which slide is it> If it has the swintech slide you should be able to follow the procedure in the manual to disconnect the controller usually in the bay beneath the slide and push the slide in with a couple of people. If it's the slide with the cable I can't help you, but you may look up Larry Lyons and PM him. I know has worked on his slide with the cable. Good Luck

tedgard01 05-29-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarab0088 (Post 3090490)
I am assuming your Challenger has the Schwintek slide drive. Since you do not mention anything being broken, you should be able to simply re-sync the 2 side drives...these slide drives are power hungry, so ensure the batteries are good, or you're on shore power with the converter/charger on, or start the generator...and whenever the slide hits full open (or closed), ALWAYS hold the button for 2-3 seconds to let the controllers sense the stop...

Steve, Thanks for the input, and I always like the input you have on the Outlaw thread...

tedgard01 05-29-2016 10:20 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3090412)
Yes, closed for holiday. Grrrr.

Shell, Let us know how it is going... Were you able to get it working? Did the feedback help?

sbleiweiss 05-30-2016 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3090733)
If it's one of the electrically driven slides (as opposed to the main/cable slide), check that all the screws in the drive tracks - or whatever they're called - are seated properly. Something like this happened to us two years ago with the forward driver's side slide, and it turned out to be one of these screws that had come loose enough to bind against the coach wall when the slide was brought in.

Still stranded but did reach a mobile RV Tech who said he might be able to get here today (Memorial Day). If not tomorrow. Hope at the end of the tunnel.

Yes, one of the smaller, front electrical slides.

No screws seem to be loose and binding.

None of the methods for disengaging the motors seems to work to make the room pushable.

Both RV Techs that I actually reached (one was 1500 miles away for the summer) concluded the same thing, none of which is talked about in this thread so far, a broken shear pin. Unfortunately, Thor encloses the whole basements (walls and ceiling) so I can't see any of the mechanicals for the slide. I don't know how the techs would get to it but they must know how.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

tedgard01 05-30-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3091732)
... Both RV Techs that I actually reached ... concluded the same thing, ... a broken shear pin...

With my old 2005 coach, that would be what I would think, in fact, I had that same problem with my '05, and actually fixed it myself by going to Harbor Freight and getting a set of shear pins...

But, with a 2014.5 Challenger 37KT, with the Schwintek slide drive mechanism, I would not think so... In fact, the access would not be through the bay, as was the case with the older slide mechanism that had rails under the slide that were in the bay...

Regardless, good luck in getting some help, and I hope that they have some experience with the newer Schwintek system... Frankly, it does not seem that the Tech's you talked to do, so I would suggest that you show them the clips that Steve provided...

IrihRed 05-31-2016 03:42 AM

Is the slide on the curb side with seat belts? If so it could be it is getting hung up on the T-Bars that are for safety to keep the slide from ever completely coming out with people seat belted. If the slide got out of alignment this could be your problem and why you can't push it in manually. There are two access plates in the two bays under this slide, but I wouldn't recommend working on this if you are not very handy!

Webman9113 05-31-2016 01:04 PM

Lesson in battery maintenance

On my seemingly endless list of things to do for our 37KT before we leave on Saturday morning for Yellowstone (I can't believe it's only a few more days!), I did some long overdue battery maintenance today, and it's a good thing I did!

First, a bunch of white powder/crystals had formed on the buckles and hooks of the battery tie-down strap for the house batteries. When I cleaned that off, I discovered that the crud had eaten away the buckle to the point that it just crumbled into pieces. I ordered a pair of new straps (one to use, one to keep as a spare) from Amazon and got that sorted out after cleaning out the compartment.

Then I finally installed the FloRite RV-2000 battery watering system that I've had sitting around for heaven knows how long. I got a gallon jug of distilled water, attached the hand pump, primed it, and started adding water. And adding. And adding. By the time I was done, the two batteries had taken in nearly half a gallon of water! The poor things, I felt really bad. :(

So, the moral of the story, I suppose, is to make sure you check the water level in your batteries on a regular basis. I also highly recommend the RV-2000. It was a bit of a pain trying to get it on because of the battery cables, which I had to loosen a bit so I could swivel them around, but once that was done, filling was a snap. Moreover, subsequent battery water checks will also be a snap.

On to the next item on the list...

ctpres 06-01-2016 05:38 AM

Spare Parts

Just found one more I needed. In replacing whole house water filter I discovered canister 3.5 inch o-ring was missing. No o-ring no water. Note: selling dealer tech solved problem by just cranking canister super tight. Filter not an easy item to find on short notice. Recommend it as a spare part along with some plumbers silicone paste that is needed for installation.

Webman9113 06-01-2016 07:35 AM

Here are a couple pics of the "finalized" outside TV installation on our 37KT.

The TV is mounted on an Omnimount that can swing out, drop down, and turn, so you can position the TV so as to see it from just about any angle on the curb side of the rig.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...9b761e189b.jpg

To stow for travel, you just push it back into the enclosure, then secure it with two velcro straps that are pinned in place by the aluminum angle "shelf" I bolted to the original metal TV enclosure.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...57c3df6721.jpg

When I get more time, I'll cut away some of the unneeded bits of the metal housing and paint the innards black to pretty it up a bit, but for now it's functional and ready to travel...

sbleiweiss 06-01-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3092719)
Is the slide on the curb side with seat belts? If so it could be it is getting hung up on the T-Bars that are for safety to keep the slide from ever completely coming out with people seat belted. If the slide got out of alignment this could be your problem and why you can't push it in manually. There are two access plates in the two bays under this slide, but I wouldn't recommend working on this if you are not very handy!

It is on the curb side. I feel pretty foolish at this point. After sitting around in AZ for two extra days (not the worst punishment) an RV tech got to us Tuesday late morning. All he did was push on the side of the slide that was binding while DW ran the slide in. It went. Then we ran it in and out a few times holding the button an extra 3-5 seconds the way they say to sync the motors. Hopefully all is good now. Still don't know what was causing it to bind. Maybe just being a little off level?

sbleiweiss 06-01-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3093375)

First, a bunch of white powder/crystals had formed on the buckles and hooks of the battery tie-down strap for the house batteries. When I cleaned that off, I discovered that the crud had eaten away the buckle to the point that it just crumbled into pieces. I ordered a pair of new straps (one to use, one to keep as a spare) from Amazon and got that sorted out after cleaning out the compartment.

Had the same thing happen to mine. Can you post the part number at Amazon? Driving with them not strapped down currently. We also found the water level way low when we first checked. Actually I had been putting in small amounts of water earlier but obviously didn't know how high the level should be. I bought one of those pitchers that fills until full and stops by itself. I couldn't believe how much more water the batteries needed.

Webman9113 06-01-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3094672)
Had the same thing happen to mine. Can you post the part number at Amazon? Driving with them not strapped down currently. We also found the water level way low when we first checked. Actually I had been putting in small amounts of water earlier but obviously didn't know how high the level should be. I bought one of those pitchers that fills until full and stops by itself. I couldn't believe how much more water the batteries needed.

Yeah, I was shocked - half a gallon! Of course, they're big batteries, but still. Well, lesson learned.

As for the straps, here are the ones I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PL4H0O

It worked perfectly, just needed to be trimmed a bit.

tedgard01 06-01-2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3094664)
It is on the curb side. I feel pretty foolish at this point. After sitting around in AZ for two extra days (not the worst punishment) an RV tech got to us Tuesday late morning. All he did was push on the side of the slide that was binding while DW ran the slide in. It went. Then we ran it in and out a few times holding the button an extra 3-5 seconds the way they say to sync the motors. Hopefully all is good now. Still don't know what was causing it to bind. Maybe just being a little off level?

Glad you got it fixed, and that it was just as expected, versus something more extreme....

It is good to get your follow up as this impacts us all at some point... Just remember that this can happen in several ways, even if you start to extend, then change directions for some reason without fully extending (or retracting). If the motors loose their zero point, that is what can happen. At least you will have a better clue of what to do next time... That is the best part of most problems, they better prepare us for the future problems...

Thanks.