iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

cathor 06-05-2016 09:14 PM

satellite cable

Gary,
Thanks! I went on top of the coach, pulled the cap off and sure enough it says drill here to get cable for wind guard satellite. That saved me a lot of headaches and am sure a lot of money.

omarleys 06-06-2016 10:58 AM

Leveling System

Have a new Thor Challenge. With a LCI leveling syste. The Auto Level set poit is way off. Does anyone know how to set this correctly?

rvbunz 06-06-2016 03:04 PM

Look in your manuals there should be instructions in there. If not go online and google it and a U Tube should pop up. Good luck

rvbunz 06-06-2016 03:20 PM

DJ,
They should be able to check the height of your coach and recommend the correct size. I just told them to install one on mine when I bought my coach. I don't even know the size to tell you the truth.

rvbunz 06-06-2016 03:24 PM

Getting ready to modify our dining area. Taking the center section of the U shaped dinette, and installing a longer table. I constructed the table, bought formica that closely matches what is currently there, ordered the T molding from Thor via a dealer so the table will match the one that goes between the captain chairs. This will allow us to sit more at the table. The U shape was nice but the table was too small. I'll post pictures when done.

rvbunz 06-07-2016 02:29 PM

TV Mod

2 Attachment(s)
Well while I'm waiting on my table to be cut at the shop, I decided to add a TV to the front of the coach. This allows us to watch TV when we can't open the slide. I must say it turned out pretty well. Check it out.

bigdaddy5120 06-07-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 3104838)
Well while I'm waiting on my table to be cut at the shop, I decided to add a TV to the front of the coach. This allows us to watch TV when we can't open the slide. I must say it turned out pretty well. Check it out.

Nice Mod , I like it !

LyonsL 06-08-2016 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 3104838)

Bob, good job!

IrihRed 06-08-2016 08:10 AM

Denver King Mattress Mod

The king Denver mattress just didn't hack it. Rather than spend the $ for a new good mattress (short king hard to find) we added a 2" gel memory topper from Target and then added a 5" down topper from Bed Bath and Beyond. Now we feel like we are sleeping at "The Ritz"! Also there was no need to cut down as most toppers are cut shorter to start. All for 1/3 the cost of a new good mattress. Now Happy Glampers!

janniemac 06-08-2016 08:59 PM

Good Idea! We don't like the Denver Mattress in our 16 Challenger 37lx. Bought a 4 inch memory foam topper at WalMart and it was just too soft--couldn't hardly move around. We took it back and are awaiting an 8" Serenia memory foam mattress ($400). You're right, short kings are almost impossible to find, so this one will be 5 inches too long. Watched a YouTube video and will try to cut it down--looks like cutting through a cake. Hope that will work. We had the Serenia in our Class C (sold last year), and absolutely loved it. Only problem was we kept oversleeping:)

Webman9113 06-09-2016 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janniemac (Post 3106960)
Good Idea! We don't like the Denver Mattress in our 16 Challenger 37lx. Bought a 4 inch memory foam topper at WalMart and it was just too soft--couldn't hardly move around. We took it back and are awaiting an 8" Serenia memory foam mattress ($400). You're right, short kings are almost impossible to find, so this one will be 5 inches too long. Watched a YouTube video and will try to cut it down--looks like cutting through a cake. Hope that will work. We had the Serenia in our Class C (sold last year), and absolutely loved it. Only problem was we kept oversleeping:)

We did the same thing: replaced the awful factory mattress with a California King memory foam mattress from Wayfair, then whacked off the excess with an inexpensive electric carving knife. I actually didn't trim it down to the original mattress size, but to the maximum length I could get with the main slide closed. That added a few much needed inches. :-)

rvbunz 06-09-2016 06:06 PM

Well I had laminated the new dining room table and took it to a wood shop so the could cut the groove for the T molding that goes around the outer edge of the table. Well picked it up today and they screwed it up. Cut it too high and notched the edges. Back to square one, Do it Myself. Pictures will be delayed.

DMcRaney 06-10-2016 06:55 PM

Hi DGShafer,

Been going back and looking at old posts. I was hoping you could send me the plans for this. We are looking at a big trip out west this fall and I am working to get our 37GT ready. This would solve one of the biggest pain we have. I don't do metal work, do you have any ruff idea what would be a fair price if I get it made? I live in NC.

Thanks David
dmcraney@mindspring.com

DMcRaney 06-10-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1518738)
Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. It's too heavy and big to ship but I'd turn over my detailed drawings to anyone that could fabricate one for you. It's made out 1" square x 1/8" wall steel tubing, a little 14 gauge sheet for the mounting angles and gussets, 2x 24" long 1/2-13 all thread, 4 Alcatel bearings, and electricians Unistrut for the glides. It took about 6 hours to design/evaluate and detail, 5 hours to make, and a whopping 15 minutes to install.

The propane is in the next bay and I've been using an Extend-A-Stay fitting to get fuel to the grill since I've had it. It's much easier that way. That grill is three seasons old, I don't use it on every trip but it's been used at least 50 times. I use simple green and spray nine to clean it.

I think that any motor home with slides should be level and supported by the leveling jacks before the slides are put out as a rule. There's too much frame twist to think otherwise. I wonder how much testing was done before they threw a system like that in to their coach. Sounds to me like they're now saying "what do we do now?". Letting the end user pay the price of maintaining and repairing cables just doesn't seem right to me. If they fail, can you run it in manually if it's an emergency?

Hi DGShafer,

Been going back and looking at old posts. I was hoping you could send me the plans for this. We are looking at a big trip out west this fall and I am working to get our 37GT ready. This would solve one of the biggest pain we have. I don't do metal work, do you have any ruff idea what would be a fair price if I get it made? I live in NC.

Thanks David
dmcraney@mindspring.com