iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DannyHVAC 07-16-2016 05:06 PM

Hello everyone!

Took delivery of my 2017 37kt one week ago. Did a pretty thorough PDI, found a few small things but nothing major.

Then a quick shakedown trip gave us our first Major Issue. When we shower, water leaks out under the hallway wall corner in the dining/kitchen area.

I took it back, they said they tightened everything up and sealed it. Now we are 4 hours away on a long road trip and the exact thing keeps happening... Should have checked it before I left the shop!

Anyway- I've checked the access panel under the shower and it is completely dry.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

camaromance 07-16-2016 10:37 PM

Hey, Danny. Sorry to hear your having troubles.

Pour a couple of gallons of water down the shower drain to see if it's the drain that's leaking. If it doesn't, than its the water supply. Try to narrow it down even more by only turning on the hot or the cold. If that doesn't make a difference, than its in the piping that supplies the shower head. It might also be the shower door or panels. They always seem to leak. I sealed All the wall seams with clear silicone. If the leak was before the shower valve, you'd have water leaking as soon as the pump kicked on or if you were connected to a fresh water supply.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hoegee 07-16-2016 11:14 PM

Try this

We had leaking in our 36fd. No leaks if you just run he shower. Got in mine a took a shower. Presto drain was flexing because of poor support. Some foam blocks under the pan and it was fixed

bronk 07-17-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyHVAC (Post 3163979)
Hello everyone!

Took delivery of my 2017 37kt one week ago. Did a pretty thorough PDI, found a few small things but nothing major.

Then a quick shakedown trip gave us our first Major Issue. When we shower, water leaks out under the hallway wall corner in the dining/kitchen area.

I took it back, they said they tightened everything up and sealed it. Now we are 4 hours away on a long road trip and the exact thing keeps happening... Should have checked it before I left the shop!

Anyway- I've checked the access panel under the shower and it is completely dry.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

Had the same issue. Recaulk with silicone around the inside seam closest to the kitchen area. When the shower stream hits directly on this area (seam), it tends to leak. We keep the shower stream headed towards the opposing wall (directly opposite of the shower head). The clear silicone application did stop the leaking, however.

Bronk

sbleiweiss 07-17-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronk (Post 3164575)
Had the same issue. Recaulk with silicone around the inside seam closest to the kitchen area. When the shower stream hits directly on this area (seam), it tends to leak. We keep the shower stream headed towards the opposing wall (directly opposite of the shower head). The clear silicone application did stop the leaking, however.

Bronk

We also had to caulk the seams where the walls meet the floor. I would have thought that they build some overlap into that juncture like I have seen on S&B shower surrounds. Nope. But our leaks were into the bathroom so your issue may be different. Good luck.

DannyHVAC 07-20-2016 11:27 AM

Thanks everyone-

The shower enclosure was the source of the leak, and we did recaulk the seam between the interior shower wall and shower base. I'd love to hit the exterior of the enclosure too, but I'd probably have to remove the cabinet. I'll save that for our next service appt.

gavaman 07-21-2016 09:00 AM

2016 37kt

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronk (Post 3164575)

Bronk

I had some problems with mine also shows that they don't prep these rv's to well. They forget to open the valve for the hot water, the valve for the refrigerator and one of slide outs kept blowing a fuse. The couch was broken, the button you push for the roof antenna was hidden behind a panel so I had to search for that. It took camping world almost three weeks to fix everything.
I got to use it one night out a month. Thank fully everything works now

bronk 07-21-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyHVAC (Post 3170160)
Thanks everyone-

The shower enclosure was the source of the leak, and we did recaulk the seam between the interior shower wall and shower base. I'd love to hit the exterior of the enclosure too, but I'd probably have to remove the cabinet. I'll save that for our next service appt.

What I did to reach the outside of the enclosure was to devise a silicone "delivery system" by fashioning a yardstick (any thin piece of wood would suffice" and applied silicone to an end of stick and carefully and slowly ran the of silicone down the outside seam. If you are cautious and take your time , you will mitigate the amount of silicone you get on the enclosure. Good luck!

Bronk (In coastal Maine for the summer and havin' a wicked good time!!!)

Webman9113 07-23-2016 04:28 PM

Trip-Almost-Over Report

Well, our 8 week junket to Colorado, the Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone (along with visiting a bunch of friends along the way) is almost over: we're in northern Georgia, and will be home in Sarasota in just a few days. My wife and I are ready to just turn around and head back to the Rockies, but I guess we sorta have to make money and all that other mundane stuff.

Anyway, I thought I'd give a few observations and comments on the performance of our 2014.5 37KT and the mods I did before we left for the benefit of those who may be considering similar mods:

- WeBoost RV 4G cell booster: an external broadband directional antenna mounted to the TV mast and using the existing TV coax to supply the signal to the internal booster and antenna in the cabinet behind the TV in the bedroom, with my iPhone positioned a few inches in front of the internal antenna. This setup worked *extremely* well and saved our bacon in the numerous RV parks where the wifi was crappy (my wife and I have our businesses on the web, so connectivity is very important). I mounted the external antenna to the TV mast so it stuck up vertically like a shark fin, and that was usually just fine to get a strong signal from any cell towers in the immediate area. For towers that were farther away, I raised the mast and pointed the antenna with the help of the OpenSignal app on my iPhone. We never had less than 4 bars of signal strength on the iPhone, even when the external strength was 1. So this was worth every penny for us. The DOWNSIDE was that the aluminum angle bracket bracket mount for the external broadband antenna was rather brittle, and in the 40 MPH winds that hit us in South Dakota, it bent and partly broke. So I have to find another alternative for that.

- Ubiquiti LocoM2 paired with an Airgateway indoor access point: This also worked great, allowing us to shoot over the tops of other rigs to reach distant park wifi antennas with good signal strength, then providing a single point of access within the coach for all wifi enabled devices. The only downside of this is the typical crappy quality of most park wifi's: you can have a great signal between you and their access point, but if they don't have a router and bandwidth that'll support the load, you might not get much of anything. But for $100 for the two devices (which I typically mount with a velcro strap on a Flagpole Buddy), if the park has decent throughput, you won't have any problem getting a great connection.

- The outdoor TV swivel mount: we didn't use this nearly as much as I'd hoped, mainly because some of the places where we stayed several nights were windy as heck, and most of the others we didn't stay long enough for me to want to wrestle out the chairs (or it was raining, etc.). However, for the times we did use it, it worked really well: it was nice to be able to actually be able to put the TV in a position where we could see it while sitting at the table, in our chairs, grilling, etc. So, it was quite a bit of work and didn't earn itself back on this trip, but I'm sure it will in future and I don't regret doing it.

- The IOGear Matrix Pro wireless HDMI system: while it works really well, we didn't use it as much as I was expecting, mainly because we had our butts in those comfy recliners most of the time, LOL! But it works very well and over time it'll pay for itself in terms of use.

- The Camping World recliners: the two recliners and center console that I installed after removing the old sofa bed made the trip. They are SOOOOO comfortable, and were worth every penny and the modest pain to install them. The only downside is that the fabric on the ones we got is fairly soft and vulnerable to cat claws, but we knew that going into it and just try to keep the chairs covered with a couple of thick throws.

The one thing I couldn't figure out how to do before we left that I REALLY wish I'd been able to do was making the compartment on the passenger side just forward of the entry door into a cat box area. But I couldn't quite figure out how to make a passageway from the entry step well to the compartment that would get around the intervening framing, etc. But that's something I plan to sort out before we go out again!

Not many things went wrong (knock on wood, as we're not home, LOL). Aside from the aforementioned aluminum mounting bracket for the external cell booster antenna, we've only had two bloopers:

- Just this morning, the entry steps broke. This didn't come as a complete surprise, as we got the recall notice, but I didn't have time to get it fixed before we left. So I need to figure out how to jerry rig it until we get home.

- I discovered, much to my chagrin, that the front left tire is going to have to be replaced when we get home: the tread has worn down to the point where it won't be safe to take it out again. Aside from not having been rotated (my bad: we're at 13,000 miles now), the only thing I can think of is an alignment issue, because the other tires all have tons more tread still on them. So that'll be a chunk of change before we can head out again.

Also, I was wondering if the level of our coach is "normal" - when it's sitting on a level surface, I would estimate that the front is probably 4-6" lower than the rear. We spent a little extra time early in the trip finding an "optimal" level position for the coach, which leads us to have to put 3-4" of blocks under the front tires and jacks in most places to keep everything in contact with the ground while getting the inside level. Any comments on that??

Anyway, that's it for now! More to come, I'm sure... :-)

camaromance 07-24-2016 08:01 AM

Hey, congrats on a successful trip. It doesn't just happen, it takes a lot of work and planning to pull off an 8 week trip.

I'm interested in learning more about your wifi and cellular mods. Some places we go in PA do not have Verizon coverage. Hard to believe in this day and age.

Regarding the litter box mod, I did that to our 37kt a few years ago. I had to "trim" some of the framing with a side grinder and fab a little tunnel but I've had no issues since doing it. It was hard to start cutting through a brand new coach but is was well worth it not having to step in litter and sweeping constantly.

The cats took right to it, as long as we're parked. I fenced it in with 1" mesh from Lowes to keep the cats from wandering all over the stow. I also made a door on the forward stow so I can open both doors while camping. That cats tend to hang out there and it's a great conversation starter.

sbleiweiss 07-24-2016 09:31 AM

Great report. Thanks. My comments:

Tell us more about the wear on the tire. Could be other things than just alignment.

When I have seen/heard about making a litter box in storage area it has been in the area behind the door, not in front of it.

That forward slope is definitely not normal. Has it been that way since new? Maybe related to the tire wear?

Webman9113 07-24-2016 02:38 PM

Yeah, lots of planning...and then it's gone in a flash! That's just no fair...

Anyway, if you scroll back in this thread a bit (it's not too far back), I did writeup on the wifi and cell booster installations. But if you have any questions after scoping those out, just lemme know!

And do you have any pics of your litter box mod you could post? I think I have an idea of what I'm going to do, but seeing what you've done would help a lot... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 3176148)
Hey, congrats on a successful trip. It doesn't just happen, it takes a lot of work and planning to pull off an 8 week trip.

I'm interested in learning more about your wifi and cellular mods. Some places we go in PA do not have Verizon coverage. Hard to believe in this day and age.

Regarding the litter box mod, I did that to our 37kt a few years ago. I had to "trim" some of the framing with a side grinder and fab a little tunnel but I've had no issues since doing it. It was hard to start cutting through a brand new coach but is was well worth it not having to step in litter and sweeping constantly.

The cats took right to it, as long as we're parked. I fenced it in with 1" mesh from Lowes to keep the cats from wandering all over the stow. I also made a door on the forward stow so I can open both doors while camping. That cats tend to hang out there and it's a great conversation starter.

Webman9113 07-24-2016 03:03 PM

Regarding the quirky front tire, I'd estimate that the other tires have roughly 1/2" of tread. I mean, these tires only have 16K on them now - it's not like they've been around the country twenty times. By contrast, the two center grooves of the front left tire have about 1/4", and the two outer grooves have roughly 1/8". The wear in the each of the outermost grooves seems to be about the same.

Having looked at some pics about tire wear issues (as I don't know much about tires beyond that they're supposed to be round, LOL), I'd say the symptom that seems most likely is under inflation. That's puzzling, as one of the things I've been pretty anal about is monitoring the tire pressure. I used to keep them at 90, as per the placard, but dropped them to 85 for this trip because we don't travel with oodles of extra weight and the ride is better (and before anyone asks, no, I have to confess I haven't had the rig weighed).

As for the litter box, we have big cats and the litter box wouldn't fit in the small compartment aft of the door, LOL! Besides, if I did that I'd have to reroute the water lines from the washer.

I'll have to post a pic of the "slope," but I actually think it is normal: I've looked at some side shots of Challengers, and they look visually about the same. And yes, it's always been that way. Another way to see what I mean is to measure the distance from the front jack pads to the ground, and the rear jack pads to the ground: our front jacks are lower. I'll do that tomorrow if I get a chance while we're on the way from Tennessee to Georgia. :)

Crap, I really don't want to go home... <sigh>

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3176305)
Great report. Thanks. My comments:

Tell us more about the wear on the tire. Could be other things than just alignment.

When I have seen/heard about making a litter box in storage area it has been in the area behind the door, not in front of it.

That forward slope is definitely not normal. Has it been that way since new? Maybe related to the tire wear?

Webman9113 07-24-2016 03:25 PM

Oh, another break on this trip: the mounting brackets for the roller blinds on the side bedroom window. The blind just fell off. Turns out the brackets are made of sturdy metal...except for the spring loaded clamp that actually holds the blind to the bracket. That's made of brittle plastic, and the blinds are actually pretty darn heavy.

I was going to just swap the brackets from the living room blind, but when I tried to remove the blind, guess what? The plastic bits broke!

Anyway, after toying with the idea of trying to make some sort of metal bracket, I came up with an easier solution: I used the same screws that were holding in the brackets (#10 x 3/4"), some #10 washers, and some lengths of 1" nylon strap that I cut from some spare tie-downs I carry. Then I just put the screws through the strap about an inch from the ends (which I melted to keep them from fraying) and tightened them down, the washers clamping the strap to the wood. I did that on the "outside" side first, propped the blind into position, then put in the "inside" screws, then trimmed off the excess strap.

I'll have to do the same with the living room blind, but didn't feel like messing with it until after we get home.