iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

ctpres 12-22-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3383812)
Here is my question. Not happy with the sofa. Want to change it out for recliners. Or entertainment seating. Has anyone done this? We went to Lazy Days and Camping World and looked. It would cost about $1500.00 for set at Lazy Days that with an hour of labor for them to install it. We have 68inches to fit in that spot. It's on a slide out with no carpet. Any suggestions?

Think about seat height! Slide floor is about 4 inches high. Typical recliner seat is 20 inches. That makes seat 24 inches off floor. For most folks that leaves feet hanging in mid air. Not to mention difficulty getting in and out of recliner for older folks. Also need to keep space needed to recline at a minimum. Very few are truly zero clearance wall huggers. It is a tough project. Keep us posted on your search.

happycamperj 12-22-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

Here is my question. Not happy with the sofa. Want to change it out for recliners. Or entertainment seating. Has anyone done this? We went to Lazy Days and Camping World and looked. It would cost about $1500.00 for set at Lazy Days that with an hour of labor for them to install it. We have 68inches to fit in that spot. It's on a slide out with no carpet. Any suggestions?

We also were not happy with the sofa in our 37gt. We got the 3 section recliner sofa and the console module. Installed it ourselves. We sold the sofa that came in the rig for $400; it took two of us a while to take it apart and get it out the door.

bethnpete 12-22-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 3072097)
I'm not sure which mount you have but those levers should "unlock" the TV mount so you can lift or separate the TV from the mount.

I have searched for these mounts...where in the world are they?

logalinipoo 12-22-2016 10:40 PM

On our main living room tv, there are no levers. I had to pull the molding behind the tv and unscrew the pannel it's mounted on. Then I could get behind it to run cables. On the bedroom and kitchen tv. There are 2 small levers you reach from the bottom of the tv. Mine have little pull tabs hanging on them.

PattyP 12-23-2016 05:59 AM

Recliners versus sofa

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 3383922)
Think about seat height! Slide floor is about 4 inches high. Typical recliner seat is 20 inches. That makes seat 24 inches off floor. For most folks that leaves feet hanging in mid air. Not to mention difficulty getting in and out of recliner for older folks. Also need to keep space needed to recline at a minimum. Very few are truly zero clearance wall huggers. It is a tough project. Keep us posted on your search.

My husband said that too about how high the recliners would sit and my feet would be dangling in the air. So what's your suggestion?

ctpres 12-23-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3385076)
My husband said that too about how high the recliners would sit and my feet would be dangling in the air. So what's your suggestion?

Lambright has several recline products with 18.5 seat height. Also possible to order Thor optional theater seating from any Challenger dealer. I hope to make decision on ours at Tampa RV show next month.

DannyHVAC 12-24-2016 01:24 AM

6 Month Review 2017 37kt

We are near 6 months and 10k miles of Full Time Travel in our 2017 37kt, so figured I'd share my feedback here! Long post.

-Love the 6-speed transmission. Traveled all through the Western US over mountains, towing a mini cooper, running generator most of the summer while driving, and still averaged about 7mpg. Engine is only loud going up and down hills... otherwise surprisingly quiet.

-Gas Fuel. In the beginning, I hated it. Experienced a lot of tight gas stations that almost always have big entry dips... which scrapes my drop hitch for our mini cooper. Now I know to look for wide open level stations whenever possible, and appreciate that there are still more options than diesel.

-Value vs. Cost. After speaking with tons of other Motorcoach owners, I truly believe that the Thor Challenger has almost all of the features of high end diesels for a much lower cost. We get complimented at almost every RV resort we stay at.

-Quality. I think we had a total of 15 or so "warranty" issues so far. Spent a few weeks at several service departments. I personally haven't met anyone that hasn't had issues, even on the higher priced motorcoaches. Annoying at times yes, but all of the fun we had so far greatly exceeds those issues.

Stock Features I Love: Residential Fridge, Awning LEDs, backup cam, drop down bed (for our 4-year old), Fireplace, Rear Gas tank, A TON of bay storage (full timing with all sorts of toys for our son and still couldn't fill it all), Dual sun/privacy shades, Bluetooth Speaker systems, Sliding Doors to section off living room, Propane and/or electric water heater, Mid-entry door, captains table, etc.

The parts I don't like: Dual Gray tanks-not a fan of the wye and extra pipe. AC condensate drain drips everywhere outside. Furnace heat works great in bed and bath, not so great in front room.

Add ons:
-Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer. Love it now, use it daily.
-Tireminder A1A TPMS. Love it, helped me find a slow leak in my tow car.
-PDQ One Source Cell/Wifi Booster. Cell booster is awesome, WifiBooster is only as good as the park service, which we all know how that is.
-Progressive Hard Wired Surge Protector. No power issues yet.
-Rand Mcnally RV Tablet 80. Best GPS ever, and I track my fuel with it.
-Amazon Fire TV. Inexpensive way to stream online content(netflix, hulu, etc) to all TVs in coach, and the remote works from other rooms.
-AT&T Hotspot. We now have a 25GB plan that doesn't charge for overage data. Between my career, pandora, and movies, we used 118GB this month already... and we won't pay any extra.

Overall- We are traveling the country in a vehicle that has almost everything a normal home has, and enjoying every minute of it!

Webman9113 12-24-2016 07:00 AM

Quote:

Patty -

I think that's something most Challenger owners seem to agree on: the sofa in the living room (ours was the pull-out bed version) is horrible, lol! We replaced ours with the recliners and center console available through Camping World (if you search their site for "beckham tan" you'll find it) and they are WONDERFUL. LyonsL also did this. Here is the link to the part of this board where we went over this particular mod:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...50811-168.html

The seat height was a concern going into it, but my wife - who stands 5'2" - has no problem and absolutely loves the recliners (although the height could obviously be a problem for someone with mobility issues). The "dangling feet" issue really isn't an issue, because as soon as you plop yourself into the chair you recline, right? :)

sbleiweiss 12-24-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3385076)

I have said this before, and if you really want recliners it won't solve your issue, but we improved the comfort level of the original couch a lot by taking out the cushions Thor had used and replacing them with various size pillows we bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Much fuller and less squishy.

PattyP 12-25-2016 04:45 AM

Thanks! I'm 5"6 and yes as soon as I plop down I recline. I'm only 55 yo so by the time I have mobility issues we probably won't be traveling anymore. The steps do get me when I have spent the day loading or unloading the RV with multiple trips doing those steps. Sometimes we park and the bottom step to the ground is a big step! But we love our KT. Love the bigger frig, but have to run the generator the whole time we are driving. Sometimes we go around a corner and generator shuts off. Bed is not comfortable and couch is not comfortable, but everything else is great! We have learned to get gas at Flying J, since gas tank is in the back, its the only station we fit in comfortably.

PattyP 12-25-2016 05:06 AM

Thanks! I'm 5"6 and yes as soon as I plop down I recline. I'm only 55 yo so by the time I have mobility issues we probably won't be traveling anymore. The steps do get me when I have spent the day loading or unloading the RV with multiple trips doing those steps. Sometimes we park and the bottom step to the ground is a big step! But we love our KT. Love the bigger frig, but have to run the generator the whole time we are driving. Sometimes we go around a corner and generator shuts off. Bed is not comfortable and couch is not comfortable, but everything else is great! We have learned to get gas at Flying J, since gas tank is in the back, its the only station we fit in comfortably.

IrihRed 12-25-2016 06:58 AM

Happy Holidays ALL! I mostly agree with DannyHVAC. We have a 2016 KT, FT since July and have gone Sea to Shining Sea, about 9k mi and 17 states. Our MPG is around 9 towing a Jeep but we only turn on the gen when we get close to stopping in hot weather. Getting service is always a problem it seems anywhere in the country, they are all busy and appts are at least a month out. So we had to plan ahead for one service well in advance. No drivability problems at all, very minor warr issues most of which I have handled with support from Thor by ph or email. Added Sumo Springs at about 4K mi and that was a great decision. So all in all it is a great bang for the buck, has most of the bells and whistles and has served us well thus far. We are Happy Challenger Glampers!

sbleiweiss 12-25-2016 08:34 AM

DannyHVAC, why do you love the rear gas port? I hate it. Side port means needing to take up two gas pumps versus all three for rear port (or just pull up way farther where there are only one or two pumps). And since the rear port is still shifted to the left, it is hard to reach from the right side (not to mention much better visibility positioning from the driver's side. Having had both, I would take the side port any day. Interested to hear why you love it.

Webman9113 12-26-2016 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3387671)

In that case, the recliner conversion should work great for you. :-)

I'm curious about why you need to always run the generator while driving? We only have it on when we need the roof AC units running to keep it cool enough for the cats while we're on the road. The inverter has plenty of output to power the fridge without using the generator. I also have something to add about the gas station issue, will make that in a separate post...