iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Webman9113 12-26-2016 05:20 AM

BIG RIG FRIENDLY GAS STATIONS

I really only miss two things about our diesel: the extra power over the V10 and the ability to use the diesel pumps at truck stops. The size of our KT and the rear fill port have made finding gas stations - especially when towing our Jeep - a challenge. Since I like to do a lot of map recon, I put together a list of places I've either actually been to for gas or scouted out as stops during our trips as alternate locations that looked like they would accommodate big rigs like ours. I finally figured out how to convert the starred locations on my Google map to a shareable map, which you'll find at the link below. Note that this is obviously not a comprehensive list, and if you have locations that will take big rigs I'll be happy to add them and update the map. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LM...qI&usp=sharing

Enjoy!
Mike

PattyP 12-26-2016 05:54 AM

Generator to keep fridge running. We have a house full size fridge in our 2015 KT. Only way to keep it cold. We hate the gas tank in the back. Very few gas stations that we can fit in. We have been desperate for gas before and had a struggle with pulling car and can't back up and gas station is small and busy with cars. I get in panic mode each time my husband stops for gas or food. We have had to unhook car and back out before.

Webman9113 12-26-2016 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3388721)
Generator to keep fridge running. We have a house full size fridge in our 2015 KT. Only way to keep it cold. We hate the gas tank in the back. Very few gas stations that we can fit in. We have been desperate for gas before and had a struggle with pulling car and can't back up and gas station is small and busy with cars. I get in panic mode each time my husband stops for gas or food. We have had to unhook car and back out before.

Odd. We have a full size fridge in our KT, as well - if yours isn't keeping cold with the inverter (without generator running) I'd have that checked out if you haven't already.

As for gas stations, I know what you mean! I hope you find the link to the map with gas stations in the previous post useful. I always map out places to gas up for our trips before we go, including alternative fuel stops. I look for easy-in/easy-out locations with enough height and length to accommodate our rig + Jeep. Haven't run into any sticky situations so far... :)

TechNot 12-26-2016 07:17 AM

Thanks for the gas station map, that will very useful. On my Rand McNally, I've noticed that the 4 and 5 star rated gas stations are the ones I can fit in while towing my car.

Webman9113 12-26-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techn0 (Post 3388773)
Thanks for the gas station map, that will very useful. On my Rand McNally, I've noticed that the 4 and 5 star rated gas stations are the ones I can fit in while towing my car.

Interesting! I'll have to look at those. I've never used mine to find gas stations, lol!

DannyHVAC 12-26-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3387888)
DannyHVAC, why do you love the rear gas port? I hate it. Side port means needing to take up two gas pumps versus all three for rear port (or just pull up way farther where there are only one or two pumps). And since the rear port is still shifted to the left, it is hard to reach from the right side (not to mention much better visibility positioning from the driver's side. Having had both, I would take the side port any day. Interested to hear why you love it.

Good point sbleiweiss.

I liked the rear gas port because it gives me extra space to get closer to the pump, especially if I came in at an angle (since I can't back up when towing). But after reading your post... I realized I wouldn't need to get closer if it was a side port. You've convinced me.

PattyP 12-27-2016 06:34 AM

What year is your KT? We have a 2015. We have taken ours to Camping a World in Tampa about fridge and they said we have to run the generator for fridge.

sbleiweiss 12-27-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3388731)
Odd. We have a full size fridge in our KT, as well - if yours isn't keeping cold with the inverter (without generator running) I'd have that checked out if you haven't already.

As for gas stations, I know what you mean! I hope you find the link to the map with gas stations in the previous post useful. I always map out places to gas up for our trips before we go, including alternative fuel stops. I look for easy-in/easy-out locations with enough height and length to accommodate our rig + Jeep. Haven't run into any sticky situations so far... :)

We have almost the same rig as you and our full size residential fridge runs fine on the inverter. X2 on getting that checked out. Do you have the inverter (special one for the fridge) turned on at its switch in the stairwell?

We agree with you about the gassing. That is why we don't tow a car.

rvbunz 12-27-2016 08:23 AM

While traveling, I always use my Rand McNally GPS to find Pilot or Flying J to fill up. If it's Pilot I call ahead to see if they can service gas rigs. If neither are found I search for gas stations and again call ahead to se if I can fit at the gas pumps. It's worked pretty well for me so far in 13 years of traveling.

Webman9113 12-28-2016 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3389953)
What year is your KT? We have a 2015. We have taken ours to Camping a World in Tampa about fridge and they said we have to run the generator for fridge.

Ours is a 2014.5 KT with a residential fridge, and it runs off the inverter when we're not on shore power or running the generator (which we only turn on for AC). As sbleiweiss noted, make sure the inverter has been switched on at the panel in the stairwell. I also take what the guys at the RV places say (particularly CWs) with a grain of salt: I'd call the Thor tech support line and ask them directly. I have a very hard time believing that the coach was designed so the fridge had to be run off the generator and not the inverter. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'd be really surprised. We've had three coaches from three manufacturers (Winnebago, Fleetwood, and Thor) with residential refrigerators, and they were all designed to work from the inverter while on the move.

Webman9113 12-28-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyHVAC (Post 3389786)
Good point sbleiweiss.

I liked the rear gas port because it gives me extra space to get closer to the pump, especially if I came in at an angle (since I can't back up when towing). But after reading your post... I realized I wouldn't need to get closer if it was a side port. You've convinced me.

Yes, it's a pain in the backside, if you'll pardon the pun! :D But in 14,000 miles of driving (so far), by scouting ahead on Google Maps I've only once run into a situation where I had to unhitch the Jeep to get out of a gas station. Well, technically I was able to get out of the station, but the exit angle onto the two lane road was such that I couldn't complete the left turn (the far side had a steep curb). So I blocked both directions of traffic for a bit, but that helped me earn the "fastest toad disconnect" award for the year!

sbleiweiss 12-28-2016 07:26 AM

Quote:

Not sure who you are addressing this question to, but ours is a 2014.5.

ctpres 12-28-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Our early 2015 frig runs on inverter - look in second bay from front on street side for Zantrex 1800 box with big wires in and out. Also look at switch area in stairwell for 2x3 panel that says zantrex with green button. If yes let us know and we can help you turn it on. Look in pack of manuals for instructions.

Troutkiller 12-28-2016 08:32 AM

Leaving in a few hours to drive 400 miles to pick up our new '17 37YT :thumb:

Information (inc. punch lists) gathered here has really eased my mind that we made a great selection and are ready to go through the delivery process.
Thanks for all the insight and modification ideas.

D2