iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Redridge 02-11-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1459840)
Here is a copy of the PDI inspection checklist that I found online and modified for my Challenger. There is absolutely no substitute for a line by line checklist when buying something as complex and expensive as a motor home. You'll also find things on the drive home at which time you adjust your punch list

If you find this useful I can email you an Excel version to modify

Thank You for that... it will be priceless when we do our PDI.

RedWing Nut 02-11-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lissaje (Post 1459336)
We recently traded in our small (27ft) gulfstream for a 2008 Damon Challenger, 36ft. Well we just love it. It may not be new but it was gently used and with 3 slides, the space is just unbelievable.
Happy to see this topic on the forum.

Lissa & Larry
2008 Damon Challenger
2006 Scion Xa
Fulltiming & Loving It

:welcome:

Hope you enjoy your stay. :D

DGShaffer 02-11-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redridge (Post 1459925)
Thank You for that... it will be priceless when we do our PDI.

Good luck today! Have a fun ride home in your new rig :dance:

opcop 02-12-2013 02:12 PM

This is just the thread I've been looking for, nothing but Challenger. We love our 37DT. DGShaffer, you are right about the heater vents. The way I tackled this problem was, I bought some 1/2" foam insulation board, cut them to fit inside the register, used silver reflective heat tape to cover the foam inserts, then punched some small holes (just enough) to regulate the bathroom and the bedroom. Seems to work just fine, but your solution probably looks nicer.

DGShaffer 02-12-2013 02:29 PM

I thought you were being funny as I read it to say that you "purchased" some holes :D.

Not only are the brown ones rather ugly for a coach like ours but they bend inward as you walk over them which makes them look even worse over time.

The duct under the floor seems to be around 14" wide so there's plenty of room to open them up. Your solution works and was similar to my first attempt to shut the heat off in the bathroom until I decided I had too much money in my pocket when I was at HD :rolleyes:

DGShaffer 02-13-2013 04:37 PM

I'm looking at making up a set of sliding trays for the basement storage compartments. I've found a couple of great DIY pages on the internet and links to the different slides offered.

I'm curious if anyone has done this yet. If not I'll be sure to post up once I come up with a design for the brackets

DGShaffer 02-14-2013 06:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So.... Now that I don't have an Outlaw with a garage any longer, I had to pickup an enclosed trailer for the bike. It needs a place to hang jackets, helmets, and gear. I made four coat racks and these 2 supply shelves. I'll post photos of them mounted this weekend

camaromance 02-16-2013 08:38 AM

Dg, thanks for starting the Challenger thread. I'm looking forward to all the pictures of mods and DIY upgrades. We are just south of you in Maryland. No snow here and we haven't seen any to speak of since that 09/10 blizzard. Must have got it all at once so I guess we're good for a few years. I can't wait for spring to show up. Can you recommend any good CG's in Jersey. I need to get that sticker on my map.

DGShaffer 02-16-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1465270)
Dg, thanks for starting the Challenger thread. I'm looking forward to all the pictures of mods and DIY upgrades. We are just south of you in Maryland. No snow here and we haven't seen any to speak of since that 09/10 blizzard. Must have got it all at once so I guess we're good for a few years. I can't wait for spring to show up. Can you recommend any good CG's in Jersey. I need to get that sticker on my map.

There aren't a lot of nice campgrounds in Jersey. I prefer state parks but I have a dog and they aren't allowed in NJ state parks so I cross over into PA where there's a bunch of fantastic places to stay.

However, there's a county park in south Jersey called Turkey Swamp in Freehold that is our weekend get away. The layout is great and every site has privacy. A nice lake for swimming and fishing and an abundant amount of hiking trails to keep you outside. I highly recommend this one if you want a place to stay.

DGShaffer 02-16-2013 02:38 PM

9 Attachment(s)
We spent the day personalizing the interior and loading the cargo bays with all the stuff we find a necessity. I've included a few shots of the floor registers I installed. If anyone wants to know how it was done I can detail the tools and process of the installation.

Coming over from a toy hauler I'm really enjoying the added room and comfort afforded us by the switch to a conventional motor home.

Redridge 02-16-2013 05:56 PM

Looks very comfy, enjoy!

camaromance 02-16-2013 09:45 PM

Nice job on the floor vents. Your coach looks awesome. Looks like home. The DT was our 2nd choice. I really liked the wrap around seating area but, the KT is the only one with the king bed. Being 6'5, it's nice to have a bed I can fit in. I spent over 20 years in the Navy on submarines so I really appreciate having the room to stretch out.

DGShaffer 02-17-2013 03:11 PM

I use a Rhino Flex sewer hose. This new brain fart of a dump bay pipe extension is just killing me. What the hell were they thinking by adding this section of tube out of the bottom? My Rhino Flex doesn't fit through it so I'll be forced to leave the door open when at a full hookup site unless I think of a creative solution to eliminate it.

Has any one here come up with an elegant solution for this issue?

It looks like it has to go back through the inside of the bay to remove it so that means it'll have to be cut into pieces. This is just dumb!

john109 02-17-2013 04:16 PM

DG I have a 37 DT also and what I did on mine was I puchased a Camco Revolution Swivel RV Sewer Hose Extension - 10' from RV Upgrades the end couplings can be taken off and you can slide the hose through the extension pipe. Once you have the hose into the bay you can reattach the coupling. I keep the hose inside the the extension pipe all the time and just slide it out when I set up. Good luck.