iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 03-23-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thortogo (Post 1506174)
The wife wants to get rid of the humming noise, I told her good luck.

The inverter in my Outlaw only would humm if it were being used, the inverter in my Challenger seems to humm all the time. To me this is odd and doesn't sound right so I'll be looking into it for sure.

bdickson 03-23-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1506325)

The inverter in my Outlaw only would humm if it were being used, the inverter in my Challenger seems to humm all the time. To me this is odd and doesn't sound right so I'll be looking into it for sure.

Is your inverter a 600 watt and is it under the bed? Mine is an 1800 watt Xantrex and it is in the second compartment on the drivers side. My 37GT finished assembly in January 2013 so this may be a new change.

CampDaven 03-23-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thortogo (Post 1506174)
The wife wants to get rid of the humming noise, I told her good luck.

My wife hums in her sleep. Now there is an inverter that hums. It's a duet!
I have been running a fan for white noise every night for almost 45 years.
Boom!

DGShaffer 03-23-2013 09:09 PM

Yes it is and yes it is. Perhaps they're putting the larger inverters in a bay because of the heat. Or they are getting complaints. I'm still curious why current is passing through an inverter while it's on shore power?

That's funny Dave!

bdickson 03-23-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1506368)
Yes it is and yes it is. Perhaps they're putting the larger inverters in a bay because of the heat. Or they are getting complaints. I'm still curious why current is passing through an inverter while it's on shore power?

That's funny Dave!

You really think Thor are going to change their design because of customer complaints? Silly boy! :-)

flaggship1 03-23-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven

My wife hums in her sleep. Now there is an inverter that hums. It's a duet!
I have been running a fan for white noise every night for almost 45 years.
Boom!

Hey Dave - Same tune or does she change it up?

I have never understood why things are placed where they are. I understand the need for access and that manufacturers are dealing with limited space. So I guess they start with a blank slate and say - where can we place this noise maker so it will keep people from sleeping. What's the max pounds available on a strut - let's put that on the bed so it's hard to close and these weaker ones on the bay bay doors.

CampDaven 03-23-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggship1 (Post 1506458)

Hey Dave - Same tune or does she change it up?

I have never understood why things are placed where they are. I understand the need for access and that manufacturers are dealing with limited space. So I guess they start with a blank slate and say - where can we place this noise maker so it will keep people from sleeping. What's the max pounds available on a strut - let's put that on the bed so it's hard to close and these weaker ones on the bay bay doors.

Same note. Always. Fan. Boom!

This issue is no different than Saturn SL designers who put the oil filter where it would drool down the frame after you removed it, but it did oil the CV joint rubber dust cover on that side real well!

Fan!

john109 03-24-2013 04:55 AM

Don are you going to around here anymore?? I just saw on the news that someone from Jersey won power ball. Solo winner

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 06:23 AM

There were a bunch of winners here in Jersey but I didn't play so I'll be here for a while. Some people say that winning wouldn't change who they are. But me... I'm a realist... It would change the crap out of me!

I'd hire a hit man for all those people on Facebook that post stupid stuff on my page. My wife better duck!

I'd hire someone to hack the Weaponized Military drone software system and have them all circling the White House until someone there did something.

I'd buy an island and make everyone move to one side to see if I can get it to tip over

I'd park my motor home on my front lawn and suit my town every time they sent me a summons

john109 03-24-2013 06:57 AM

Don I pulled the plug on Face book over a year ago. It started out as fun but as time went on so much junk on there. People taking there kids to the dentist and going to do their laundry. I did the unfriending thing and it just got to be tedious and time consuming. Closed the account and have not missed it at all. Between the family, work and RV stuff my days are pretty full.

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 07:35 AM

I'm looking into the inverter humming issue today. I'll be pulling the cover to see if maybe I can remote the switch so that it can be turned off when not in use.

Putting it under the head of the bed was stroke of friggin genius! :rolleyes:

Not only that but by putting inside a small box there isn't any way for it to cool itself off and that's not dumb, that's dangerous!

I still enjoy FB to a degree but keep my friends list to right around 50 but those that I watch to around 5-10

john109 03-24-2013 10:19 AM

Guys I was out working on my couch casters this morning and actually found the missing caster. But I think I am going with a different caster these are really cheap and flimsy. I am off to the hardware store to see what i can find. Also while I was digging around under there I felt cold air rushing in and looked at a bracket probably 1" 1/4 X 1" 1/4 that supports the couch. It goes through the floor and I "assume'' to a plate under the floor. I tried to look from underneath but the storage box blocks the veiw. I am going to pick up some spray in insulation while I am out and spray some into the hole nothing else appears to be in there. I will look closer with a mirror before I spray. I am not sure if the KT and GT are setup the same way or not but on the DT if you pull your couch extension out you will see the bracket I am talking about.

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 10:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good call on the caster replacement John. My casters leave an impression in the floor and I can see it wearing through in time. I wonder if rather than a caster a simple glide with a threaded stem set to a height that's just above floor level so that it only makes contact when you're sitting on the couch?

I'll look for that opening today as well.

Not necessarily RV related but it is mounted in our RV. My wife was given a glass Tea Pot from here Mom after she passed recently. My wife had been trying to get this from her mom forever but she wouldn't give it up. Now that we have it, I made a wall mount to display it so she has a nice reminder. Since it's glass and filled with a butterfly and flora I decided to make it out of Mirror polished stainless steel and put angled wings on it to throw light and reflections from different angles. I mounted the pot with a single screw on center so she could rotate it to what ever angle she preferred.

I'm racking up points for the upcoming riding season :flowers:

john109 03-24-2013 01:56 PM

Don I tossed the old casters and picked up some 1"5/8 wheels with the single post that goes into a sleeve. Its what they use on office chairs. I had some thick oak wood laying around and cut it to the ID of the square stock that held the original casters. It was approx. 13/16 and I cut them 5" long and drilled a 3/8 hole down the middle of the wood and slid the sleeve that holds the caster in place. The sleeve has teeth on it that get taped into the wood. I then slid the wood in from the top of the square stock and put the caster under it and tapped the wood until the caster locked into the sleeve. I also drilled a couple of holes into the square stock so I could put some 3/4 screws in there to hold the wood in place. I put the most forward one down to the floor and the the other one just barely touches the floor so it doesn't make any marks on the floor and makes better contact when I sit on the couch. Its a very easy fix one step I forgot to tell you was you have to remove the end panel on the couch its just 4 bolts once you do that everything is wide open and easy to access. I also rerouted my locking cable and connected it to the handle. It was not before I started. Now everything works fine.

Great job on the tea pot let me know if you want to write anything on it.