iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

sbleiweiss 04-03-2017 08:18 AM

Its been talked about. I sense most people keep road related safety stuff in it; flares, etc. Too small for anything bigger.

rvbunz 04-03-2017 10:12 AM

We have it on our DT

IrihRed 04-04-2017 06:48 AM

The "step box" in our KT is our "junk drawer", flash light, screw driver, small hammer, adjustable wrench, duck tape, stapler, tie straps, etc.

IrihRed 04-04-2017 07:18 AM

Thinking of getting rid of LP! Thoughts?

After being on the road FT almost 10 months, we are thinking of removing gas burner and stove and the large LP tank. Use induction cook tp, convection/micro and a toaster oven. As for heat we have never needed more than the fireplace heater and a $10 space heater in the bedroom since we follow warmer weather as much as possible. In kitchen we would install 2 induction burners with storage for pots/pans underneath where the stove was. The basement compartment install a pull out tray for the gas grill with normal LP gas cylinder and some additional storage for outdoor cooking items. I am slightly paranoid about gas inside, as a kid our house had gas line explode and the house burn down, not good memories! Has anyone else done this or considered it?

ctpres 04-04-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3533227)
After being on the road FT almost 10 months, we are thinking of removing gas burner and stove and the large LP tank. Use induction cook tp, convection/micro and a toaster oven. As for heat we have never needed more than the fireplace heater and a $10 space heater in the bedroom since we follow warmer weather as much as possible. In kitchen we would install 2 induction burners with storage for pots/pans underneath where the stove was. The basement compartment install a pull out tray for the gas grill with normal LP gas cylinder and some additional storage for outdoor cooking items. I am slightly paranoid about gas inside, as a kid our house had gas line explode and the house burn down, not good memories! Has anyone else done this or considered it?

Similar situation "including about ten months FT" and have considered induction cooking. Bought single burner for testing and DW not wanting to even try it so far. The only negative thing I thought about was need to always keep gas tank well above 1/4 full in case generator needed. Boondocking not on our list of things to do. We have two 1,500 watt electric heaters plus the fireplace and have been comfortable into the 40's without gas. But have used it to warm things up in a hurry in AM. At 9,000 feet in July things can be pretty chilly in the AM. I have not got that far in thinking about "all electric" so far. Glad you brought it up and plan to follow this discussion.

fluffybunny 04-10-2017 05:01 PM

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to say I have read most of this thread and there is an amazing amount of information here, and yes it took me about a week to read the entire thing. Why did I spend a week reading this thread? Because I am a crazy researcher and strongly considering purchasing the challenger 37KT.

My fiance and I are strongly considering moving full time into an RV for a few years and we want to get the correct unit first instead of upgrading over time since we are planning on hitting the road next spring.

A couple of questions though, I have seen one person mod in a table in the kitchen area and using the desk, I like that idea but I am looking to see if anyone has done anything different? I work in IT currently and planning to still work on the road, so I need a desk, I would also like to avoid setting up and tearing down everytime. I'm considering removing the small corner counter under the TV in the dining area and building a small desk in that area. I have some ideas and think it would work for me but wanted to see if anyone else has setup a spot for a desktop computer?

Another question is cats...We have 2 cats and the litter box placement is an important consideration for us. in the shower does not seem like a good idea for us as we want it accessible both when stopped and when driving. Also dont want to mess with the moving it constantly. 2 places we were considering were in the bay in front of the steps...one person early in the thread was talking about that, but decided it would be a challenge cutting a hole from the steps to the bay. Has anyone done that successfully? My other thought was removing the fireplace, or taking the door off of one of the cabinets in the entertainment center and putting it there. Any other thoughts?

third. The weight limits on the 37KT, based on reading and searching the CCC looks to be in the 2000-2300 lb range, am I right on that? I know we wont be able to load up my collection of rocks but in general for 2 people is the weight limit enough and have you noticed any issues being close to weights? Yes we will be towing a car, probably similar to a honda fit, or maybe a CRV.

fourth, The challenger is a great motorhome and the 37KT is a great floorplan, but what do you not like about your rig?

Thanks everyone for your info and we will see about joining the group in the future!

sbleiweiss 04-11-2017 06:33 AM

I use table between driver and passenger for desk when camped. Most use the bay behind door for cat litter if in bay. We put it on floor in front of shower and move to shower. We love KT floorplan. My greatest dislike is probably the gas port in back instead of on side. Also the fact that the two grey tanks aren't connected or one larger one.

IrihRed 04-11-2017 08:59 AM

Good morning, this is in response to Fluffybunny (I had a little chuckle as I typed that!) As you noted the KT is a great floorplan for going FT. We are almost 10 months on the road and from a floorplan standpoint the only thing we would like to see Thor change is the bedroom. If the headboard was on a slide out it would increase the space greatly and with small windows on the side of the slide provide cross ventilation in nice weather.

BTW we are the folks who put the butcher block counter in the dinning area. It works great for us. We each have a desktop computer, one on the forward end of the butcher block and the other in the front on the passenger side dash. We don't teardown when traveling or entertaining. Just put a towel down and put it down flat for travel. Also on Sundays we usually host what we call a "Trailer-Trash Brunch" and use the butcher block counter for the buffet when the weather doesn't permit or we are lazy with the office end still in place. We also eat most meals in the captains chairs with the small table or outside.

Everyone seems to find what works best for them. One item that the KT floorplan provides very well is the separation of areas. I wake early and work in the front on my computer and watching "Morning Joe" and even with the door to the bedroom open sound does not travel to the bedroom (just the smell of fresh brewed coffee!). I attached pics of what the two stations look like this morning.

As for the weight issue we are fairly close to our weight max when we weighed all four corners, keep our tire pressure at 90 psi. Much of the weight is in the basement lowering the center of gravity and the coach drives so much better than when empty. Added Sumo Springs for stability and ride improvement and well worth the cost in our opinion.

We travel with a cocker so I will be no help on litter box location. But I would not remove the fireplace, it is our best friend on cold nights and cool mornings! With a small space heater in the bedroom we have only fired up the LP furnance once

All this being said, we spent lots of time and agonized over many different floor plans and we are very happy with our decision with the KT which works the best for us. Would we like a DP with air suspension, of course, but could not find a floorplan with a mid door that worked for us. We only travel around 3-4 days a month so the floorplan is a priority. We also rarely travel more than 150 miles a day and always stay put 3-10 days per stop. Our trick for travel days is two laundry baskets, put all the loose stuff in the baskets and store on the bed when rolling down the road.

Hope some of this helps but each of us will find what works best for their lifestyle. Ron.
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/...s/cleardot.gif

IrihRed 04-11-2017 09:03 AM

missing pics?

Not sure what happened to pics from this morning so I will try again! Ron.

fluffybunny 04-12-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 3544296)
I use table between driver and passenger for desk when camped. Most use the bay behind door for cat litter if in bay. We put it on floor in front of shower and move to shower. We love KT floorplan. My greatest dislike is probably the gas port in back instead of on side. Also the fact that the two grey tanks aren't connected or one larger one.

Thanks so much for your input. The table between passenger and driver is a good thought I didn't think too much about using that one, I was more thinking the passenger pull out table up there but I would like to have my desktop setup and leave it. I was looking at that two grey tank thing, seems a little annoying in that you would have to hook up to multiple outlets to fully drain. Didn't think too much about the gas port, but I could see how that would be bothersome as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3544498)
Good morning, this is in response to Fluffybunny (I had a little chuckle as I typed that!) As you noted the KT is a great floorplan for going FT. We are almost 10 months on the road and from a floorplan standpoint the only thing we would like to see Thor change is the bedroom. If the headboard was on a slide out it would increase the space greatly and with small windows on the side of the slide provide cross ventilation in nice weather.

*removed most of message*

Hope some of this helps but each of us will find what works best for their lifestyle. Ron.
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/...s/cleardot.gif

Thanks so much for your info Ron. Glad you liked my name, I used to play first person shooter video games and it has stuck since then. It would pop up and say player A was shot by a fluffy bunny(me) I shortened it to fluffy bunny. got a few laughs out of that back then too.

that butcher block idea table is a really good one and since you said you travel with your computers on that table..that might work out for us. As I mentioned I work in IT and I'm also a PC gamer(if you cant tell I'm younger than most people on here ;)) so having a spot for a desktop computer is really important to me especially one where I don't have to tear it down every time we move. I will have to look back at your posts to go over your install again and look out for all the details. I seem to remember you documented the install and parts pretty well which is very nice for those of us going back and looking at it later!

You mentioned you added the sumo springs, I was looking at those just the other day and they look very helpful, did you also do the CHF?

As for your agonizing over floor plans, thats where I am right now. I have spent at least 2-3 hours 3 or 4 days a week for the past 4 months looking over floorplans, youtube tours, and visiting a few dealerships trying to figure out what would work for us. the 37KT is our favorite. as you mentioned we love the separate rooms. That is really good to know that sound doesn't carry as much as I thought it would.

Thanks again for all of your info it really helps.

-Richard

sbleiweiss 04-12-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrihRed (Post 3544498)
If the headboard was on a slide out it would increase the space greatly and with small windows on the side of the slide provide cross ventilation in nice weather.

This would put a slide over the water bay and electric bay. I would hate that. Agree that cross ventilation would be nice.

ctpres 04-12-2017 03:53 PM

200K MSRP Challenger?

Prices for 2018's starting to hit the market - no pictures yet. I have seen $191K plus. Any bets what year or how soon Challenger will break 200? Sure will make it hard for salesmen to call it entry level!

daverubino 04-13-2017 06:07 AM

Fluffy Bunny, used to play? If you're on Xbox One, look me up, FearThis123. I used to put the litter box in the shower but it was a pain moving and cleaning up. Now I keep it on the side of the bed in the back. It stays put and the cat can get to it anytime.

fluffybunny 04-13-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverubino (Post 3547354)
Fluffy Bunny, used to play? If you're on Xbox One, look me up, FearThis123. I used to put the litter box in the shower but it was a pain moving and cleaning up. Now I keep it on the side of the bed in the back. It stays put and the cat can get to it anytime.

Dave, used to play FPS games, I still play games but on PC, really gotten into indie games and tycoons. Don't have the fast reflexes to be good at first person shooters anymore.

That is a good idea for the litter box, Didn't think about that, will have to add that to the list.