iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

M72561 06-15-2017 12:03 PM

Eating up Batteries

I have 2014 37 KT which I have owned for since May 2013 . In those 4 years I have replaced the chassis battery twice and the alternator once. I now think my starter is bad and the chassis battery is done. The above replacements were covered under warranty .
I just replaced the house batteries on my own and now I'm having intermittent low oil pressure warnings on my dash. The coach runs great when it will start and I think the low oil pressure may have to do with the recent oil change. I keep my coach in a shed and have a trickle charger on the chassis battery and also plug the coach in to charge the house batteries. I also replaced the POS Jensen radio that drew power off the chassis battery .There is NO draw on the battery and Thor has no idea what it could be Is anyone else having similar issues

ctpres 06-15-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M72561 (Post 3649978)
Eating up Batteries

I'm having intermittent low oil pressure warnings on my dash. The coach runs great when it will start and I think the low oil pressure may have to do with the recent oil change.

I would do another oil change ASAP. Wrong oil or even fluid, not enough, to much. Who knows but it would be cheap insurance. What does the oil pressure gauge say when low pressure warning shows up? Batteries always mysterious. Hope someone else can help with that problem.

rvbunz 06-15-2017 07:35 PM

Could be your oil pump is acting up. If you have sufficient oil I would have the oil pump checked.

morazzi 06-16-2017 07:53 AM

Hi Don, A strange thing happened while reading your posts. When I got to page 8 the Adult Blocker on my computer kept me from going any further. Maybe it didn't think the Crapper Flapper was appropriate for kids. Just a guess. I'll finish reading your posts on another computer.
Your posts caught my attention because I purchased a 2013 Challenger 37DT three years after you purchased yours. I expect your posts will give me a lot of needed information when it comes to keeping the rig on the road.
My newest challenge has to do with slideouts. My galley slide will not go out. Maybe my coach batteries are not fully charged. I'll get them fully charged. Is there a way to manually push the slides in, in the event this happens when trying to check out of a campground?
Thanks for the great posts. Bob

rvbunz 06-16-2017 08:36 AM

Yes, the procedure is in one of the manuals about the slides. There is a control in each compartment where the slide is. You have to deactivate it.

morazzi 06-16-2017 07:11 PM

John, How do you get to the slide motors? My kitchen slide will not go out. Bob

rvbunz 06-16-2017 08:25 PM

It's in your manual. If you don't have the manual let me know I'll pull mine out and text it to you

marcdohc 06-20-2017 04:35 PM

Extremely unhappy with Thor

Hey folks, I haven't chimed in in a while. I think the last time was after I got back from Indiana. Thor sent a driver to my home in Mashpee, Massachusetts to drive the 2016 37KT back to Indiana because the repairs needed were too much for CW in Berkley, Mass.
After repairs we're done we flew out to Indiana and drove the rig home. Some of the issues were the hydraulic system would come on in the middle of driving down the highway at speed, the windshield wipers would get tangled up, the usual too much heat in the bathroom and not enough in the living room, various leaks in Windows showers and sinks. It was another half a dozen things that I can't remember.
The main thing is that the coach drove down the road crooked. There's a few phrases for this issue, crabbing or some call it dog walking. This usually occurs after an accident, it's a giveaway that the frame is not square.
When Thor had it last year it Indiana they sent the rig to Ford, Ford sent the rig to a company called Quality Automotive to fix the crabbing issue. The problem is due to the rear axle not being perpendicular to the frame. When the fix was being done I tried to find out the approach they were taking, Unfortunately they would not tell me. They did not eliminate the crabbing although they did get it much better.

Well, this January I noticed the handling had gotten very sloppy. I had a friend drive and I got behind the rig and could see that the crabbing had gotten just as bad if not worse than it used to be and that the coach had a lot of swaying in the rear. I called the Thor and told them about it. Knowing the issue was serious Thor sent a so-called expert to fly out the Massachusetts to check it out. He drove behind me and then he drove the unit. I asked him what he thought and his words were and I quote "It's Crooked"
Thor had me bring it to a local truck repair shop in Mass. They discovered that the leaf springs had been twisted to compensate for the crabbing and a had bent the shackles and blown out the bushings. This damage was the result of the technique that Quality Automotive used to try to make the axle perpendicular to the frame. They simply loosen the bolts Twisted the axle and then tighten the bolts putting more torque then the bushings and metal shackles could take.
Thor did pay to have this fixed, but not before they blamed the damage on me. I installed a super steer track bar to help eliminate the absurd amount of rear sway the coach had and they tried to say the damage was caused by the trac bar. The mechanic told me there was no stress on the bar this problem was created by the technique that was used to adjust the axle. Thor decided to add a leaf spring on each side two help stiffen up the sloppy handling.
Unfortunately now the ride is ridiculous, the rear end is two inches higher than the front end in this a ridiculous amount of body roll and sway. Thor has refused to pay the money to fix this problem that they've created.
Not only do I still have the crabbing problem, I now have a RV that every time I want to set it up I have to lift the front wheels off the ground to inches just to get her level. My wife refuses to drive in it because she doesn't feel confident in the drive as well as it makes her sick from all the swaying back and forth.
Thor says it's a Ford problem, Ford says it's an altered chassis. Dealing with Thor has been frustrating and unrewarding.
I consider this the worst purchase of my life.
Marc DeNardo

okiefrank 06-20-2017 10:42 PM

Sounds like it is lemon law time.. or let the bank have it.

opcop 06-21-2017 12:41 AM

Hello Morazzi,
I have a 2012 Challenger 37DT and had one motor go out in my kitchen slide. I used the following link to get my slide back in:
I had to use the last step by taking out the motor set screw and lifting up the motor about a 1/4" to disengage it from the rack. This video doesn't really show you well how to do that. Hopefully the first method of unplugging the motor leads will do it for you. The motor control box will be in the basement compartment under that slide mounted on the ceiling of the bay. I will try to find the other videos I used to disengage the motors. I actually replaced the motor myself for very low cost. Saved me a 75 mile trip to the dealer and my deductible on my extended warranty was $100, plus the time they would have kept it. If you are somewhat mechanically capable, then this may be the way to go.

opcop 06-21-2017 12:59 AM

Morrazi,
I did find the other videos regarding the Schwintek slide motors I used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xojUdPDWNS0
Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DviEbWT3lUo
If you do replace your own motor make sure you get the same model. Lippert makes 2 motors that look the same but have different gearing. I found a pair of new motors on Amazon Prime for $175. Now I have a back-up motor. Like I said, well worth my time and money and my rig was back on the road in no time. Hope all works well for you. I love my 37DT floorplan.

daverubino 06-21-2017 07:49 AM

Marcdohc, sorry I missed you at Cape Cod Camp Resorts. I walked down to see you so we could compare notes and you had left. I did speak with your friends however and we would have had plenty to talk about! Maybe we'll meet sometime. Btw, your twin KT owner

Troutkiller 06-21-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdohc (Post 3658784)
Hey folks, I haven't chimed in in a while. I think the last time was after I got back from Indiana. Thor sent a driver to my home in Mashpee, Massachusetts to drive the 2016 37KT back to Indiana because the repairs needed were too much for CW in Berkley, Mass.

I'd be talking to an attorney. That story is everybody's worst nightmare

marcdohc 06-22-2017 03:53 PM

37kt

Hi Dave, I saw your Rig sitting there, look like a mirror. I'm hoping yours drives straight down the road though. My friends told me they talk to you sorry I missed you.
Next time, Marc