iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Troutkiller 07-10-2017 02:07 PM

Knock on wood, we picked up our '17 in Dec 2016 and no issues so far.

Leave out on the 15th of this month and dont return until December so keeping fingers crossed!

Bakeryman 07-10-2017 08:19 PM

Let keep the 37YT communication going. I took video of my Kitchen hose issue but don't think it will be correct format.

Any issues with the Wall Paper coming loose?

The drain hoses are making me nuts.

I have alot of seal issues with air coming in.

Slide Awning tension was incorrectly set at factory, dealer fixed only after one opened while driving home from pick up location and it tore the awing a little. On the rear drivers slide, does your awning bar bend in towards the slide ie... does it curve in. Mine does not have a mid-slide support roller like the passenger side does but I think it needs one. Be interested to see if other unit have a roller support on that larger rear drivers slide.

What was your build date on your sticker by the drivers seat. Mine was in October I believe. I'm wondering if it was the prototype LOL.

Anyway, if you hear of any updated engineering on the drain hoses please share.

RV does tow 4500# + trailer in the colorado hills very well so I love the on road unit so far.

Glenn2 07-12-2017 08:28 AM

Bakeryman,

My "17 37YT was built in March of this year. My RV is in for warrenty repair and hopefully I will get it back soon.

Bakeryman 07-12-2017 08:43 AM

Good luck and let us know how your repairs go. I would be particularly interested if they come up with a good idea on the drain hoses and the slides in general.

What are your thoughts on how they have the open area's on the underside of the slide outs for the water hoses on both the bathroom slide and kitchen slide. They have a vinyl/velcro boot that is to protect them from elements but it seems like my kitchen water lines are very exposed to the outside and potential for critters to make their way in. The rubber seals they have there don't really close the area well at all. Be interested if your March Build has a better concept...shoot a photo if you have opportunity when back. My plan is to buy some 3/4" or 1" foam insulation panels from Home depot and cut about 18x24" strips and then use velcro on those two panels and when camping attach them and then remove and store them when not camping (will need a reminder sticker to remove them on the slide retract button :sad: )

thank you for feed back

Bakeryman 07-12-2017 08:50 AM

Trout Killer,

I see on your signature you have a Jeep Toad. We have a 2014 Rubicon X Unlimited (4dr) and even though we have had motorhome for 13 years I never set it up to tow the Jeep or other car. Tow the ATV Trailer almost everytime we go but with kids older may start taking the Jeep.

How does the 37YT handle that (assuming you have towed it already) and what type of tow bar/brake set up do you use.

I'm looking at the Ready Brute Elite surge brake set up to avoid having to tap into jeep wiring or having to place a unit on jeep floor to push the pedal. I live in colorado and was concerned about surge type brakes in the mountains (down hill braking and surge control).

Troutkiller 07-13-2017 08:53 AM

My situation is similar to yours, although over the past 2 weeks I've purchased and assembled all my tow parts. Pretty much all Roadmaster stuff plus brake buddy vanguard. July 15 we take off for 6 weeks and that will be my first experience. I've learned (hopefully) a ton here and by watching videos on the etrailer.com website

fluffybunny 07-13-2017 07:16 PM

Hey everyone,
Question for those of you that have added 2 batteries to your coach, did you change anything else or just get 2 matching batteries? Do you need to get a different charge controller or anything or does it just take longer to charge?

I'm looking to get longer battery life and potentially add solar later on but first step is just get a bit longer time running without the generator.

Also has anyone added a battery monitor to get a better handle on battery life usage? Have been looking at a few and my favorite is the victron BMV-700

Bakeryman 07-13-2017 07:26 PM

Fluffy bunny

On our 2017 37yt I had dealer install 4 new interstate batteries. The tray in the storage accommodates that from factory

I also had four solar panels installed for total 500w

I was concerned about dry camping and residential fridge. So far in the past two weeks we did about 9 nights and the solar kept us in power. I use generator for coffee pot and let it run for maybe half hour but otherwise we are quiet and solar kept batteries 3/4 to full the entire time

We would see 1/2 batter power on factory gauge but it would come back up with sun and shutting off RV's. We watches tv via sat as well. I was skeptical has last rv didn't even have a inverter so I'm a happy camper on the solar so far

daverubino 07-14-2017 12:24 PM

I replaced my 2 factory batteries with 2 huge Lifeline agms and they've awesome. I also bought a digital volt gauge from eBay, hooked them directly to the batteries and mounted it right by the inverter gauge by the door to monitor for peace of mind.

RayDK 07-14-2017 02:02 PM

Loud metal clang going down the road

When I drove my 2013 Challenger home from the dealer, There seemed to be some squeaking coming from the slides (with slide locks) which I guess is to be expected. However I also noticed a loud banging or clanging coming from somewhere when I went over rough bumps.
I bought a mechanics creeper so I could look underneath and I think I found what it is. There seems to be some sort of 'L' shaped heat shield about 2" x 10" x 6' long between the muffler (or catalyst converter) and the propane tank. Whenever I moved it a little it would made a loud noise. I tried sticking some hard foam sticky pads in the space where the 2" section is attached to the MH but it still made the noise. What I then tried was to get a piece of 3/4" x 3" x 5' long cedar board (a piece of old siding) and secured it to the bottom of the 10" section with 4 small 'C' clamps and put locktite on the threads. That seemed to stop the noise. Hopefully that will be the end of that. It's not a pretty solution but you can't see it unless you go under the coach so I don't care.
Anyone else have a similar problem with that?

Glenn2 07-14-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bakeryman (Post 3695117)
Good luck and let us know how your repairs go. I would be particularly interested if they come up with a good idea on the drain hoses and the slides in general.

What are your thoughts on how they have the open area's on the underside of the slide outs for the water hoses on both the bathroom slide and kitchen slide. They have a vinyl/velcro boot that is to protect them from elements but it seems like my kitchen water lines are very exposed to the outside and potential for critters to make their way in. The rubber seals they have there don't really close the area well at all. Be interested if your March Build has a better concept...shoot a photo if you have opportunity when back. My plan is to buy some 3/4" or 1" foam insulation panels from Home depot and cut about 18x24" strips and then use velcro on those two panels and when camping attach them and then remove and store them when not camping (will need a reminder sticker to remove them on the slide retract button :sad: )

thank you for feed back

Don't forget to remove your intrusion solution. The "gaps" are for the flexible drains and access to the grey water tanks. Bad engineering for sure. Just pull out the bottom drawer on the bathroom sink vanity for a view of the world. The "wallpaper" does bubble in a few areas on my 37YT as well as the seam tape has lost its seal. I'm getting more seam tape under warranty and will correct those problems myself.
Does your front roof A/C cool? Mine is a wimp and I am fighting Camping World for a fix. I think they have blown though the warranty dollars from Thor. I can go on and on, but I get tired of complaining.

okiefrank 07-15-2017 12:32 AM

You know the reason for the heat shield is to protect from a chance of fire from exhaust,, the wood is not a good idea,, I had a class A Georgie Boy before my Thor 2013 37GT The Georgie Boy exhaust ran under the compartment where the plumbing is located . On a trip thru the mountains in Calif And Az the heat from the exhaust started a fire inside the compartment, melted the control panel, melted the plumbing, burned a hole in the black water tank, which put out the fire, luckily. (yes it was a crappy fire) I did not know it had happened until I opened the door when we stopped for the night. So you might want something less flammable.

rvbunz 07-15-2017 04:36 AM

If you're hearing the nose from the slides it's not the heat shield. It's the shafts and motors for your slides banging. I have a 2013 Challenger also and had to have it repaired twice. The second repair was done at Thor when the dealer tried to shim the slide. Didn't work. Thor replaced the shafts with steel shafts instead of aluminum. Slides were a big problem in 2013. The swintech slide Staten was the problem. You will continue to hear that nose unless you have it fixed properly. If you bought used it isn't under warranty and longer. I would make a recommendation that you make an appointment at Thor and make the trip there to have it fixed.

RayDK 07-15-2017 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 3699824)
You know the reason for the heat shield is to protect from a chance of fire from exhaust,, the wood is not a good idea, So you might want something less flammable.

Good point. At least I put the wood on the other side away from the exhaust. I may have to buy a piece of angle iron to replace the wood. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 3699865)
If you're hearing the nose from the slides it's not the heat shield. It's the shafts and motors for your slides banging. I have a 2013 Challenger also and had to have it repaired twice. The second repair was done at Thor when the dealer tried to shim the slide. Didn't work. Thor replaced the shafts with steel shafts instead of aluminum. Slides were a big problem in 2013. The swintech slide Staten was the problem. You will continue to hear that nose unless you have it fixed properly. If you bought used it isn't under warranty and longer. I would make a recommendation that you make an appointment at Thor and make the trip there to have it fixed.

That's interesting. I will have to take note of that. I hear the slides squeak a little which I'm assuming are the seals rubbing but the loud noise seems to be coming from below, although it is hard to track it down while driving. My wife is the one who will try to track down any noises when I am driving but she was following me in our car.

The heat shield may be a separate problem. As I move it even a little it makes a loud noise such as when you shake a piece of large thin metal, it sounds like thunder. This has a different loud sound so I will see if my solution stops it. If however, the noise continues, I may have to go to the Thor factory for a fix. I've read about Swintek problems but they seem to be mostly with the full wall slides which I don't have. We are still awaiting our title from DMV so we can register the coach. We plan on going away for a few days in two weeks so I'll see what happens. Thanks for your advice. I knew I could count of this forum for help.