iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 03:29 PM

I don't suppose you took pictures of your progress? I want one of the end panel removed. My dealer told me that they didn't think it can be removed.

john109 03-24-2013 03:35 PM

If we are talking about the sofa end panel which is what i took off it takes just a few minutes. I will take some pics and post.

john109 03-24-2013 04:15 PM

don sent you an email with pics I have a tough time up loading pics to this site. I think its the old dog new trick thing.

DGShaffer 03-24-2013 04:30 PM

When you post here, go to "Advanced mode" and scroll down to "Manage attachments". A box pops up with 4 slots to let you search for a and attach pictures. You can fill that box twice and again with 2 so that gives you 10 pictures in one post.

I have the email. If they try telling me that it can't be removed I'll shoot them over.

bronk 03-25-2013 03:39 PM

Back Again!

We had a very enjoyable vacation at Gulf Shores, AL last week. Many "spring breakers" and a lot of traffic on I-65. On one leg of the trip I got 8.3 MPG with the old Challenger. I find that keeping the speed around 63 mph seems to give me the best mileage. Of course there was no need for the air conditioning, and this always helps.

It is interesting and informative to read all the postings that you have been making regarding your Challengers. I have had many similar issues, but thankfully, most have been resolved. Also, the comments made concerning the tight fit (mirror-wise) through some of the toll booths. I find that the toll booths in Mass. are particularly tight, and had to use caution on our many trips to Maine during the summer. It sounds as though many of you are getting everything ready for the upcoming camping season; hopefully, the weather will cooperate and it will be a good one for travel and RVing. It was not fun to come back to KY and have a snowstorm today after some pretty good weather in So. AL.

I thought I would check in, since we had limited Internet access at our ESCAPEES campground. Keep the info. coming - it is very helpful!

Ron (Bronk)

DGShaffer 03-25-2013 05:18 PM

We have reservations over the upcoming Christmas on Dauphin Island on the far side of Mobile bay. A 25 minute ferry ride and we're in Gulf Shores. This will be our third trip down that way with the first at a Class A resort in Foley. The last trip was to Dauphin Island and we just fell in love with the place. As noncommercial as you can get! I do head over for dinner at Lamberts Throwed rolls in Foley just for fun and the food is pretty good too. Then we take the bike through Pensacola. The Air museum in Mobile is a great day rip as well.

Welcome back and glad to hear you had a good trip and that there weren't any issues.

john109 03-25-2013 05:32 PM

Don do you stay on Dauphin Island? Or just take the bike over there for a day trip?

Welcome back Bronk sounds like you had a great time do you tow a vehicle when you go down their? I was just wondering if you were towing anything when you were getting that mileage. I know it's a dumb question but I can dream :rolleyes:.

camaromance 03-25-2013 05:52 PM

Speaking of mileage, anyone have any experience with companies that do the performance tunes for the ford V-10? I've seen and read about them but those places seem to be notorious for bogus claims.

DGShaffer 03-25-2013 06:17 PM

John, I stay in The Dauphin Island Campground. They have a private trail right to the beach and they border a bird sanctuary with a good amount of trails. Murphy slept for two days after that last trip! You can see my photos here:
Dauphin_Island-11

Jim, I had the 5 Star Tune in my Outlaw and intend to pay $80 to have a new tune written for my Challenger. I didn't see a real uptick in mileage but what sold me was the upgraded shifting schedule. I was finally able to run with the cruise control on. You can find my review here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/5-star-tune-110567.html

bronk 03-25-2013 06:40 PM

TOAD with the Challenger

John, we tow a Jeep Wrangler with our 2011 Challenger. It is a simple hook up and go. Place the transfer case in neutral, put the transmission (it's a 5 speed) in 3rd or 4th gear and make sure the steering is unlocked - that's it. We have towed it over 20,000 miles with no issues. It is light, easy to drive and can be used for fun drives off-road. It is noisy, (canvas top) rides rough on rough terrain, and is not the most comfortable vehicle, but hey it's a Jeep and is pretty basic. I, too, am looking at the 5 Star Tune, and will probably purchase when my 3yr - 36,000 mile engine warranty is up. I just don't want the hassle of having to reprogram if I need service under warranty. My friend put got the tune for his new Allegro with a Ford chassis and really likes the changed shift points. As I understand the "system" that (shift point reprogram) is about the only benefit. He maintains that he sees no change in gas mileage. I think that the TOW-HAUL feature is the best thing since sliced bread and we were able to make most of the hills in TN and Northern AL at speed with shifting usually limited to only one lower speed. NO ROARING as some of our diesel powered friends state as a disadvantage.

Ron (Bronk)

john109 03-25-2013 07:32 PM

Don that place looks great I been through that area several times but never got to spend anytime there. I think we will be going there one day. Great slide show.

Bronk I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler we tow too. That was the reason we got the Jeep was because it is so tow friendly. I have not towed with the Challenger yet. We got the RV last Oct. we did a couple weekend trips didn't bother taking the jeep. We did tow the Jeep with our old Class C it towed fine with that. I am surprised you get such good mileage towing the jeep. Good deal.

DGShaffer 03-26-2013 04:59 AM

My Outlaw would get 7 whether I was empty or had the garage full and towing a trailer. I guess once you've saddled up that much mass you've zeroed in on the efficiencies of the motor.

Regarding the 5 Star tune. Not only did it tame the shifting schedule but in fact is does give you more horse power. In the hills going North and South on my trip to Alabama I was able to climb at 65 where in the past I would get down to 50 and 55. And that was while in cruise control at 3200 RPM rather than it shifting to a lower gear and screaming at 4400. That trip was so much more pleasant than the one to Key West the year before.

I brought the installation device with me on the trip in case I had to dump the stock tune back in for some unknown reason. Returning it to stock takes 5-10 minutes. I would do it now and when you take it in for service, just return it to stock. Otherwise you'll be missing out on a much more enjoyable driving experience. As I said in my review. If Mike gave it to me before the trip and told me after I got back that it cost a grand, I would have paid him! I enjoyed the trip that much more!

john109 03-26-2013 03:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Guys here are the pictures. In picture 1 thats the three pieces I bought a
1 & 5/8" caster heavy duty. Not that "I" need heavy duty but who knows maybe someday. I cut the wood to 13/16's square X 5 & 1/2" as that was a snug fit for the metal square stock. I then drilled a 3/8's hole down the middle of the wood. Make sure you go deep enough so the caster can go in far enough to engage it s locking feature.Then I installed the sleeve (pic # 2) recepticle that came with the caster and hammered the seraded (sorry no spell check on here) teeth into the wood. I then slid the wood block in from the top while holding the caster on the bottom I found I had to tap the block of wood until the caster fully engaged the sleeve in the wood. Once it was engaged I pushed the wood down until the wheel was just touching the floor. (pic#3) I had predrilled the square stock and installed a couple of wood screws in there to keep everything secure. Then I reattach my couch arm with the 4 bolts that hold it in place. Mine glides in and out now with no issues. If I missed anything please jump in and let me know.

DGShaffer 03-26-2013 03:37 PM

Nice work John! I bought threaded stem casters from McMaster Carr that are a better part than what's on there now. I can screw them right in. Since I hate splinters, wood isn't an option :D