iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

PattyP 08-19-2017 07:18 AM

I love it! Seems to leave more room to open bathroom door! We put a dog crate where you have your cat litter box. It's just an awkward place to put a table. With our slideout not working for past couple of trips it's been a pain going in and out of the bathroom!

bamaguy911 08-19-2017 07:32 AM

Wiper Blades

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 3737593)
On my 2014 KT I tried to go cheap with wiper blades and put the longest I could find at a local auto parts store . They don't work very well . Can someone give the measurements for the correct RV wiper blades? I lost my measurements for the factory ones .Thanks

You will find large wiper blade at the larger TRUCK STOPS...Petro, Flying J, etc.

logalinipoo 08-19-2017 08:02 AM

I very recently installed the bmv700 in my 37kt also. The inverter has a wire directly to the battery, but there is another ground from the battery to the frame.

You need to make a jumper 2/0sized from the battery to the shunt. And that should be the only negative connection to the battery. Then connect the inverter and a jumper to the frame, on the other side of the shunt.

fluffybunny 08-19-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3759966)
I love it! Seems to leave more room to open bathroom door! We put a dog crate where you have your cat litter box. It's just an awkward place to put a table. With our slideout not working for past couple of trips it's been a pain going in and out of the bathroom!

it does add a little bit more room when the slide is closed, especially if you put the chair on the end of the table instead of the side, so where it went with the orginal table.

That is a bummer that your slide isn't working, It would put a big hamper on how we use the space to not have the slide out. I sleep on the side of the bed more towards the rear, and that would really suck to have to get up in the middle of the night and crawl over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by logalinipoo (Post 3760027)
I very recently installed the bmv700 in my 37kt also. The inverter has a wire directly to the battery, but there is another ground from the battery to the frame.

You need to make a jumper 2/0sized from the battery to the shunt. And that should be the only negative connection to the battery. Then connect the inverter and a jumper to the frame, on the other side of the shunt.

seems pretty simple. I was having some trouble sourcing a 2/0 sized wire so ended up ordering it online. My concern was the 12v system and being able to measure that, I guess that goes through the other wire, the one that goes to the chassis?

Have you had a chance to test your usage yet? I'm trying to gauge my energy usage so I can make sure to get the right size battery bank, and eventually solar. Would be interesting to know what others are getting and we can compare once I get mine installed as well.

Webman9113 08-20-2017 06:11 AM

That's perfect! I've been pondering a better solution for the litter box (we've been doing the "shower shuffle" to this point), and was thinking about converting the basement compartment just forward of the stairwell to a box. But that's a lot of work (and would require some grinding of the metal support structure) and I wasn't too enthused. But your setup is great! May I ask where you got the table and the litter box enclosure (which would also add some more horizontal space)?

Thanks!
Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffybunny (Post 3759238)
Hello everyone,
Thought I would finally show some changes that I have made to my Challenger. We removed the dining table and changed it out for a different one, similar to what has been posted in this thread already. We went with a smaller table so we would have room for a littler box.

fluffybunny 08-20-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 3761287)
That's perfect! I've been pondering a better solution for the litter box (we've been doing the "shower shuffle" to this point), and was thinking about converting the basement compartment just forward of the stairwell to a box. But that's a lot of work (and would require some grinding of the metal support structure) and I wasn't too enthused. But your setup is great! May I ask where you got the table and the litter box enclosure (which would also add some more horizontal space)?

Thanks!
Mike

I thought about cutting into the basement compartment as well but decided against it for exactly the reasons you were talking about. I knew for us the shower shuffle wouldnt work, just something I didn't want to deal with, so we went this way. I got it here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Nomadic Fanatic on youtube is the one that originally used it and posted about it and I just borrowed his idea. It works very well.

The table and legs came from the container store, but you can find a similar one at Ikea, we dont have an Ikea near us to we went to the container store.

logalinipoo 08-20-2017 10:01 PM

We keep our litter box in that exact place, but with the origional table. And we only use 3 chairs.

Yes in a 12v system most of the time your negative is the vehicle frame. In really high draw situations you want it direct, like your inverter. You can get 2/0 wire at most welding supply stores. I wouldn't pay over 3.50 a foot for it. You don't need much. A lot of time they'll discount scraps too. They'll have a simple hammer style light tool for about 20 bucks or Amazon. And you can get 10 lugs for 15 dollars from amazon. Or you can get them for 2 to 3 bucks each at the welding store.

Power usage varies so much with so many ppl. I have 4 sams club batterys 6v 220ah. That will get us through a night of tv wifi devices and computers. With the fridge running. That's say 4 hours of everything. Then thr fridge running all night. I think that's about a minium on the batterys.

I'm working toward solar. I think I need 300 watts to support the refrigerator alone. I'm going to start with 600 watts. I expect I'll end up with 1400 or more.

I am also in the process of installing a second inverter at 3000 watts. I just built a battery tray out of plywood. I am going to mount it in the hole between my batterys and steps. It'll sit on the frame rails and right over the cross support there. I think I can fit 4 more batterys there .

I am putting the second inverter right next to the first, to keep battery cables short. It has a 16 amp circuit that it disconnected when on battery power. I'll move the tv outlets breaker to that.

I am installing a 30 amp plug into my inverter. Then I ran 6/2 wire through conduit to my bay with the 50 amp plug.

When I'm driving, boonedocking or on a 30 amp campsite I'll plug my 50 amp cord into my inverter.
That way it powered everything in the rv including ac's. I won't have to rewire anything inside the rv. When on 30 amp the inverter will boost if I pull more power than the 30 amp can handle an it will automatically turn off power to the first inverter. So I'll have the 1500 watt inverter for tv's and fridge. The other inverter for the rest of the rv.

Fingers crossed it works as planned.

I'm also going to move my transfer switch next to the power cord so I don't have extra wires blocking the back side of my rv.

PattyP 08-21-2017 07:23 AM

I don't understand any of this inverter stuff, we just use our generator while we drive to keep our fridge running and A/C going in case driver A/C isn't cooling RV enough.

sbleiweiss 08-22-2017 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3763301)
I don't understand any of this inverter stuff, we just use our generator while we drive to keep our fridge running and A/C going in case driver A/C isn't cooling RV enough.

You do need the genny for the AC, but if you aren't using AC then the inverter will run your fridge without the genny. All it does is take the 12v power maintained while driving by the alternator and convert it to 110 for the fridge. You need to turn it on with a button near the other switches in the doorway.

PattyP 08-23-2017 09:38 AM

Will that work with a full sized house fridge? 2015 37 KT Challenger

logalinipoo 08-24-2017 12:11 AM

Patty, yes, it will I have a 2016 37kt and run my fridge off the inverter all the time. Your residential fridge and tv's, plus a few select outlets are all powered from the inverter.

Mine are. The outlet by the passenger feet, the outlet below the kitchen tv, and the outlet below the bedroom tv.

My battery's charge 3 times as faster with the engine idling than with the generator running.

sbleiweiss 08-24-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3767043)
Will that work with a full sized house fridge? 2015 37 KT Challenger

Yup!

TEXASED42 08-24-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutkiller (Post 3756251)
This is our first hot weather trip. IN Houston for a couple months.

It's in the upper 90s every day and no shade to be had. Staying at Lakeview RV by the way just minutes from the medical center and it's a great place.

The front 3/4 of our 37YT heats up by 11-noon to above 82 degrees and stays there until nearly 10pm. It's almost unbearable. Mobile tech came out and said our A/Cs were putting out proper amps/voltage.

We've beenRV'ing up to 75 days/year for over 30 years in mostly Texas and New Mexico and this is the first time I've experienced this heat. We've resorted to just leaving during the middle of the day to miss it.

I'm scheduled to install an exterior sunshade at the end of the month, but we even have extreme heat in the interior cabinets and in the slides.

Any other additional ideas or experiences?

I add 3 small portable fans... I have one in front, one by the sink on floor, and one in the bed room blowing at the bed.... I find this has really helped cutting down on the air issues..... I also, added an silver sheet on the front window.... .. I have been in Tampa for July, and August .... it is as hot or hotter than Houston.... I set my air at 79 or 80 ... the coach is really great...

Ed Agostini
texased42@gmail.com

BradnKaren 08-25-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn2 (Post 3756644)
Had the same problem in my 37YT. Kept complaining and takeing the MH back in for warranty work at CW Katy, TX. Always the same answer. Working within spec. Gave up on CW and took it to a closer dealership. They also said the unit was working within specification, but that the unit was not the right BTU. It should be 15K BTU not 13.5K BTU. They said some dealerships do downsize A/C's to offer lower sales prices. The Challengers on their lot all had 15K BTU front units. Offered to replace my A/C with a larger one under warranty for the obvious reason - too damn hot. I did pay the difference. The front of my MH is much cooler now.

We're having the same issue. Best/lowest inside temp is 82 to 84. Opening the ceiling cover vents helps only marginally. We have two 13.5k BTU units. How did you get them to cover the upgrade to a 15k unit up front? We would gladly pay the difference. I'm thinking that would be a good time to add some ceiling insulation, also.